The 2009 Bears

jason

Thanks to RockfordBears for the thought...

Lovie Smith is Coach Dale

The similarities are astounding. Neither has a clue how to adjust to any gametime situation. Both are stuck in "their system" so much that other concepts are an affront to their knowledge. In fact, they run their system to the fault of their team's talent. How else can we explain the fact that Coach Dale wanted to give the ball to someone other than Jimmy, who was shooting 98% throughout the playoffs? Speaking of that, both mismanage their players' talents. Much like Coach Dale, Lovie insists on forcing the square peg into the round hole, or maybe everyone else is wrong (:rolleyes:) about the cover-2 minimizing the talents of players like Urlacher. Both rely on loyal but incompetent assistant coaches who make inane comments about things like "letting paint dry on the fence."

To summarize:

1-Neither makes a decent game time adjustment.

2-Both believe in their system to a fault.

3-Both use their system as a means to stifle creativity

4-Both make poor decisions

5-Both mismanage talent

6-Both choose horrible assistant coaches

Turner as Shooter

Let's be honest, Turner calls plays like a drunk. There, I said it.

Babich as that other coach

Babich is the defensive coordinator in name only, because Lovie is running the show (which may or may not be good). Nobody knows the other guy's name, and to be quite honest, Babich is quickly being forgotten. I'm fairly certain that both just collected a paycheck.

Urlacher is Jimmy Chitwood

When Urlacher is gone, the team just isn't the same. If he were to come back and demand that Lovie stays, I'm quite sure he'd get his way. That's how much he's loved and needed in Chicago. Argue the need all you want, but this defense has NEVER been this bad when Urlacher has been in.

Bearstalk as the townsfolk

We want a change. We realize we need a change. And like the townsfolk, who were right by the way (see above Coach Dale critique), we're willing to go to drastic measures to get a new coach.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Except, of course, the success in Hoosiers and the lack of success on the Bears?

Nice read! Thanks for the post! I enjoyed that.

Thanks to RockfordBears for the thought...

Lovie Smith is Coach Dale

The similarities are astounding. Neither has a clue how to adjust to any gametime situation. Both are stuck in "their system" so much that other concepts are an affront to their knowledge. In fact, they run their system to the fault of their team's talent. How else can we explain the fact that Coach Dale wanted to give the ball to someone other than Jimmy, who was shooting 98% throughout the playoffs? Speaking of that, both mismanage their players' talents. Much like Coach Dale, Lovie insists on forcing the square peg into the round hole, or maybe everyone else is wrong (:rolleyes:) about the cover-2 minimizing the talents of players like Urlacher. Both rely on loyal but incompetent assistant coaches who make inane comments about things like "letting paint dry on the fence."

To summarize:

1-Neither makes a decent game time adjustment.

2-Both believe in their system to a fault.

3-Both use their system as a means to stifle creativity

4-Both make poor decisions

5-Both mismanage talent

6-Both choose horrible assistant coaches

Turner as Shooter

Let's be honest, Turner calls plays like a drunk. There, I said it.

Babich as that other coach

Babich is the defensive coordinator in name only, because Lovie is running the show (which may or may not be good). Nobody knows the other guy's name, and to be quite honest, Babich is quickly being forgotten. I'm fairly certain that both just collected a paycheck.

Urlacher is Jimmy Chitwood

When Urlacher is gone, the team just isn't the same. If he were to come back and demand that Lovie stays, I'm quite sure he'd get his way. That's how much he's loved and needed in Chicago. Argue the need all you want, but this defense has NEVER been this bad when Urlacher has been in.

Bearstalk as the townsfolk

We want a change. We realize we need a change. And like the townsfolk, who were right by the way (see above Coach Dale critique), we're willing to go to drastic measures to get a new coach.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Except, of course, the success in Hoosiers and the lack of success on the Bears?