From Pro Football Weekly

jason

From the Audibles section which is supposedly a collection of quips from various coaches, scouts, and front office personnel speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"Tommie Harris used to be one of the quickest defensive tackles in football. Now he is not quick and he has lost his strength. It's not a good combination. When he is caught - and he gets caught a lot more than he used to - he often gets buried, like he did against (Eagles OLT) Jason Peters."

So, we're not the only ones who have noticed? :rolleyes:

He has lost it. If he was released, I don't even know if another team would even pick him up.

I am sure there would be a dozen teams that would try to acquire because he has talent. Keep in mind that there are a lot of coaches out there that have so much belief in themselves that they can turn any player around.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that Tommie still has a fair amount of value. He's been playing very noticeably better since he started practicing midweek. I understand that the coaching staff held him out of all those Wednesday practices because they were trying to "manage" his knee, but the end result was that he was out of shape. You could see it on the field, he'd go hard for a play or two and then get totally gassed and ineffective.

He's been way more consistent since Lovie's little come-to-Jesus meeting with him, which I'd chalk up to actually, you know, practicing. Is he 2006 Tommie? Not by a long shot. But if he finishes out the year playing the way he has been for the past few games, I think he'd be very worth keeping around. Maybe we restructure his deal so it's a little cheaper, and I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the field on early downs in favor of a bigger, run-stuffing DT, but I think we should keep him around. When he can actually provide that pressure up the middle, like he has the past few games, our d-line is noticeably more effective.

If we were to switch to a defensive scheme that didn't depend on Tommie to be Warren Sapp, one that would just treat him like a situational pass-rusher, then I don't think anyone would be mad at his production. By the same token, if he were to get cut, I'm sure somebody else would pick him up in that capacity. I mean, if nothing else, Detroit would be on the phone before he cleaned out his locker. They're playing Grady Jackson and some D-III rookie up front.