Maybe Ced is not that all that good

Connorbear

Ced has been out the last 3 weeks. In week 10, rookie Scott gained on 33 yds but that was against Pittsburgh. Week 11 he went for 119 yds. LJ got the carries in week 12 and ran for 107 yds.

This season, Ced is averaging 4.2 ypc, Scott 4.4 ypc, and Johnson 4.7. Me thinks the o-line, the qb, and the wrs make the running backs job much, much easier in Cincy.

Peace :dabears

Ced has been out the last 3 weeks. In week 10, rookie Scott gained on 33 yds but that was against Pittsburgh. Week 11 he went for 119 yds. LJ got the carries in week 12 and ran for 107 yds.

This season, Ced is averaging 4.2 ypc, Scott 4.4 ypc, and Johnson 4.7. Me thinks the o-line, the qb, and the wrs make the running backs job much, much easier in Cincy.

You hit a homerun there. The only thing i could say is that Ced does look different, leaner and running harder. He is no LT where he makes the plays, but he is a RB that with a hole can hit it hard and pick up good gains.

He isn't great, but he's decent.

He'll never be a Peterson or Chris Johnson...

The Bengals' o-line is good, but I think the takeaway here is that Scott and LJ been feasting on some very bad run defenses. Both guys' YPCs look good on paper, but their yardage came almost entirely from three games against Oakland, Cleveland and Cleveland again. Both of those teams have bottom-5 defenses against the run: Cleveland's 29th and Oakland's 31st. And the last game, where both LJ and Scott really ran wild, was when the Browns were playing without Shaun Rogers. Already a lousy run defense, now minus their only good player up front? That's a recipe for a big day for any running back.

Benson, meanwhile, has been running like a man on fire against some very, very good rushing defenses. Baltimore's not quite on Pittsburgh's level, but they're the #6 run defense in the NFL, and going into their first game against Cincy, they hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in their last 40 games. Benson hung 120 on them, then came back and hit them for 117 in the next game. It's hard enough to break 100 against the Ravens once: the last guy to pull it off twice in a row was Ricky Williams in 2002-2003, when he was arguably the best running back in the NFL.

True, Benson's got somewhat better blocking in Cincy than he had in Chicago, and I'd take Palmer and Ocho over Rex and Moose any day, but I think a lot of it is just Benson playing better. It sucks that he didn't turn himself around until after he got cut, but you can't discount the way he's played since he came back.

The only thing I really wonder about is why we didn't try to trade the guy instead of letting him go for nothing. I know Cincinnati brought him in on a second-chance, no-risk kind of deal, but they basically had him penciled in as the starter as soon as he showed up, and they gave him a long-term deal after only having him on the roster for like 7 games. They clearly believed he had a lot of potential...it makes me wonder why Angelo didn't call and offer to trade him in the first place.

I've not seen him play yet. I'm still skeptical because it really is so hard to tell from stats (regardless of looking at the teams played against) what a runningback's talent is. You need to see it on the field on multiple days. But Ced was cut partly because he was still relatively expensive, was poor for team morale, and violated the teams trust with respect to second chances. Purely based on his play, he'd still be on this team. That's life. I think he should be forced to give some of that bonus money back so we can pay for Cowher, lol. His career with the Bears was fraud in a sense if you compare what he gave to the Bears compared to what many are saying they see him capable of now (with respect to results, attitude, and work ethic).

Benson was diagnosed in Cincy with Celiac disease. My mother-in-law has it (allergic to gluten/wheat products) as well. If she eats anything with wheat in it, she gets lethargic and develops chronic fatigue. The weird thing is you can be fine your whole life and all of a sudden develop symptoms, etc. I assume Benson developed it while with the Bears, but was never tested for it. He always looked like he had no stamina or energy, and he now looks like the same back from Texas.

Exactly. Benson's replacements have done well, but have done well against two of the worst teams in the NFL.

It may burn the hell out of bear fans, but Benson is proven to be a damn good back.

The Bengals' o-line is good, but I think the takeaway here is that Scott and LJ been feasting on some very bad run defenses. Both guys' YPCs look good on paper, but their yardage came almost entirely from three games against Oakland, Cleveland and Cleveland again. Both of those teams have bottom-5 defenses against the run: Cleveland's 29th and Oakland's 31st. And the last game, where both LJ and Scott really ran wild, was when the Browns were playing without Shaun Rogers. Already a lousy run defense, now minus their only good player up front? That's a recipe for a big day for any running back.

Benson, meanwhile, has been running like a man on fire against some very, very good rushing defenses. Baltimore's not quite on Pittsburgh's level, but they're the #6 run defense in the NFL, and going into their first game against Cincy, they hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in their last 40 games. Benson hung 120 on them, then came back and hit them for 117 in the next game. It's hard enough to break 100 against the Ravens once: the last guy to pull it off twice in a row was Ricky Williams in 2002-2003, when he was arguably the best running back in the NFL.

True, Benson's got somewhat better blocking in Cincy than he had in Chicago, and I'd take Palmer and Ocho over Rex and Moose any day, but I think a lot of it is just Benson playing better. It sucks that he didn't turn himself around until after he got cut, but you can't discount the way he's played since he came back.

The only thing I really wonder about is why we didn't try to trade the guy instead of letting him go for nothing. I know Cincinnati brought him in on a second-chance, no-risk kind of deal, but they basically had him penciled in as the starter as soon as he showed up, and they gave him a long-term deal after only having him on the roster for like 7 games. They clearly believed he had a lot of potential...it makes me wonder why Angelo didn't call and offer to trade him in the first place.

I would still have signed LJ.