Great advice via Blackhawks

GrizzlyBear

Pretty good insite to what is holding back a winner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,6671947.column

Dan McNeil

11:34 p.m. CST, December 3, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size As another year of the poorly produced soap opera "All My Bears" winds down, speculation on which cast members return for the 2010 season has been riveting. For the first time in a long time, the prospect of a new executive producer and director is real. Bear Nation is buzzing.

Virginia McCaskey, nearing 87, can make her Papa Bear proud by pulling perhaps her last string to bring a precipitously sinking franchise back to respectability and regain the trust of a town that yearns to embrace her -- and its -- football team, because whatever changes, the Bears will remain Team McCaskey.

Don't frown. Ask a Blackhawks fan when "Wirtz" still appeared atop the food chain after Big Bill passed. His son Rocky quickly resurrected a moribund franchise, transforming it into a Stanley Cup favorite.

That can happen again. The chances of the Bears contending are much higher if Brian McCaskey gets the throne now occupied by Ted Phillips.

Of the 11 McCaskey children, he possesses the best people skills, a prerequisite for the position. And he would stay in the background, delegating, letting football people do football jobs. Big brother Michael and Phillips couldn't resist meddling and bungled the hirings of would-be headmasters Dave McGinnis in 1999 and Nick Saban (Jerry Angelo's first choice in 2004) before the Bears settled on Lovie Smith. Brian has been an assistant trainer and director of player programs, a job that entails assisting players with their lives away from football. At the moment, he is the director of business development.

You want the best reason to root for a new business card for the more youthful McCaskey? He would rescue Jeff Fisher from the sentence Fisher is serving in Nashville, where Titans owner Bud Adams can't keep his fingers out of the pie. After 16 years on Rocky Top, Fisher is burned out and would leap at the chance to return to Chicago.

The smart money is on Fisher bringing with him a decidedly more qualified cast of wingmen, including McGinnis, defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. If Heimerdinger, in mid-season, can rehabilitate the erratic Vince Young (on and off the field), imagine what he could do with a pure passer like Jay Cutler, who has gone backward under the direction of Ron Turner.

Brian McCaskey would hire a proven director of operations without needing the input of a consulting firm, as Phillips did in 2001.

The result? A questionably qualified Angelo getting the call. Angelo has taken many bows for assembling the core of the 2002 champion Buccaneers, but the truth is Gentleman Jerry was responsible for pro personnel, not pulling the trigger on draft day.

It's easy, connect-the-dots math. Send the Three Blind Mice -- Phillips, Angelo and Smith -- on the run.

Sweet Virginia, don't wait until next year. Jan. 3, 2010, sounds good, right after the Bears eke one out in Detroit to conclude their 6-10 season.

If the Bears are going to remain a family affair, Brian McCaskey is the most qualified to value the most meaningful tradition -- a winning one.

Just like Rocky Wirtz.

Pretty good insite to what is holding back a winner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,6671947.column

Dan McNeil

That can happen again. The chances of the Bears contending are much higher if Brian McCaskey gets the throne now occupied by Ted Phillips.

Of the 11 McCaskey children, he possesses the best people skills, a prerequisite for the position. And he would stay in the background, delegating, letting football people do football jobs. Big brother Michael and Phillips couldn't resist meddling and bungled the hirings of would-be headmasters Dave McGinnis in 1999 and Nick Saban (Jerry Angelo's first choice in 2004) before the Bears settled on Lovie Smith. Brian has been an assistant trainer and director of player programs, a job that entails assisting players with their lives away from football. At the moment, he is the director of business development.

You want the best reason to root for a new business card for the more youthful McCaskey? He would rescue Jeff Fisher from the sentence Fisher is serving in Nashville, where Titans owner Bud Adams can't keep his fingers out of the pie. After 16 years on Rocky Top, Fisher is burned out and would leap at the chance to return to Chicago.

The smart money is on Fisher bringing with him a decidedly more qualified cast of wingmen, including McGinnis, defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. If Heimerdinger, in mid-season, can rehabilitate the erratic Vince Young (on and off the field), imagine what he could do with a pure passer like Jay Cutler, who has gone backward under the direction of Ron Turner.

Brian McCaskey would hire a proven director of operations without needing the input of a consulting firm, as Phillips did in 2001.

The result? A questionably qualified Angelo getting the call. Angelo has taken many bows for assembling the core of the 2002 champion Buccaneers, but the truth is Gentleman Jerry was responsible for pro personnel, not pulling the trigger on draft day.

It's easy, connect-the-dots math. Send the Three Blind Mice -- Phillips, Angelo and Smith -- on the run.

Sweet Virginia, don't wait until next year. Jan. 3, 2010, sounds good, right after the Bears eke one out in Detroit to conclude their 6-10 season.

If the Bears are going to remain a family affair, Brian McCaskey is the most qualified to value the most meaningful tradition -- a winning one.

Just like Rocky Wirtz.

i have heard this before about brian. is it possible one person of this family really knows something about football?

i don't know. at this time i want ted replaced with someone who can oversee football operations with a degree of talent, skill and an eye for the future. can he do this? if not is he sensible enough to hire a vice pres that is to oversee football operations?

as far as fisher? sure i would love him in chicago as i feel he is one of the best coaches in the nfl. but is this whistling past the graveyard? i believe he is locked up in tenn forever. if that owner dumps fisher i would be on it in a heartbeat but i just don't see it happening.