Is Schefter on dope?

madlithuanian

As much as I want a regime change, I cannot root for GB...I hope we pull off the miracle win and rain on their parade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4725645

Upset of the week: Chicago over Green Bay -- The Packers have won four straight, are coming off a Monday night game -- and are due for the letdown that is awaiting them in Chicago.

As much as I want a regime change, I cannot root for GB...I hope we pull off the miracle win and rain on their parade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4725645

Upset of the week: Chicago over Green Bay -- The Packers have won four straight, are coming off a Monday night game -- and are due for the letdown that is awaiting them in Chicago.

It isn't that far fetched and could happen. Just ask either Cleveland and / or Pittsburgh (depending on the angle). I mean really, the Bears didn't play that badly against the Packers the last time they met. Rodgers is prone to mucho sacks and the occasional safety ( thanks Danieal) because of his own porous line. Ne'er the less the factors RME mentioned.

Mad Lith: I know you want change at the end of the season and may have missed it elsewhere but what would your solution be to fixing what ills the Bears?

Stranger things have indeed happened!

If I were a McCaskey's I'd simply clean house. The dream scenario would be JA and the entire coaching staff would be gone. I'd hire Mike Shannahan and let him act as GM and HC. But woul require he bring in some personnell guys and scouts, and that he try not to run everything. I want him coaching primarily and really getting the offense, and in particular, Cutler up to par. I let him hire his own staff. I would leave Teddy-boy alone and basically keep him as a finance guy only. Let Tim McCaskey be the face of the organization as CEO or some title like that.

Let Shanahan make the moves he thinks he needs to make.

I'd push for certian things, like the following, but would ultimately let Shanahan make the call:

1. Move to 3-4 D

2. Get rid of dead weight, and try to get picks for some non-dead weight (like Harris, maybe Briggs, etc...)

3. Get some better OL in FA and expect to draft one early

4. Try to bring in a vet WR that is a big target

5. Bring in a bruiser RB that can get hard short yardage, like a Crockett form OAK a while back

6. Demand tough play from the D. We only want good tacklers.

It isn't that far fetched and could happen. Just ask either Cleveland and / or Pittsburgh (depending on the angle). I mean really, the Bears didn't play that badly against the Packers the last time they met. Rodgers is prone to mucho sacks and the occasional safety ( thanks Danieal) because of his own porous line. Ne'er the less the factors RME mentioned.

Mad Lith: I know you want change at the end of the season and may have missed it elsewhere but what would your solution be to fixing what ills the Bears?

Stranger things have indeed happened!

If I were a McCaskey's I'd simply clean house. The dream scenario would be JA and the entire coaching staff would be gone. I'd hire Mike Shannahan and let him act as GM and HC. But woul require he bring in some personnell guys and scouts, and that he try not to run everything. I want him coaching primarily and really getting the offense, and in particular, Cutler up to par. I let him hire his own staff. I would leave Teddy-boy alone and basically keep him as a finance guy only. Let Tim McCaskey be the face of the organization as CEO or some title like that.

Let Shanahan make the moves he thinks he needs to make.

I'd push for certian things, like the following, but would ultimately let Shanahan make the call:

1. Move to 3-4 D

2. Get rid of dead weight, and try to get picks for some non-dead weight (like Harris, maybe Briggs, etc...)

3. Get some better OL in FA and expect to draft one early

4. Try to bring in a vet WR that is a big target

5. Bring in a bruiser RB that can get hard short yardage, like a Crockett form OAK a while back

6. Demand tough play from the D. We only want good tacklers.

Ok 'MadLith McCaskey', my first question would be what type of contract would you be offering Shannahan? You say you are going to give him not just OC but GM too. You're talking Parcell money here which I would imagine is a bit

more than Lovie is making right now. Secondly, in relation to this 'contract' how long and are there incentives? I mean i would guess he would need at least three years (maybe longer) to turn things around and implement all these

changes you suggest. And considering the impatience already expressed by the fans here and out there how long do you and he have to get things on the right track? A lot of what ifs??? One being what if Cutler is lost (God forbid) for part or all the season? Is Hanie a Cutler-like QB that will fit the bill for that patch? You are talking ALOT of money in FA aquisitions alone. Don't forget 2011 is looming and the do or die CBA.

Just a few questions to ponder. I'm looking forward to your reply.

:P

Yes, I'd gladly eat Smith and Angelo's contract and offer Shanahan a competitive package. I'd make it a 3 year guaranteed contract with big incentives (playoffs, decreased penalties, etc...) I'd try to build into the contract a renegotiation after the 3 years and put a placeholder in that we, as the Bears would pay at minimum to guarantee his stay. Something like, He gets $30M for the 3 years here...and then if we want we can extend for antoher 3 years for $40M. Or we negotiate for less...

I give him the 3 years. I'll allow for any ups and downs as long as by the end of year 3 it appears that we are headed in the right direction and more than likely are in the playoffs with at least a puncher's chance.

Hanie is OK at the moment, but we should still be looking for back-ups. Cutler is the man we build around. If he goes down, we simplymake due with what we have, like what NE did last year.

Ok 'MadLith McCaskey', my first question would be what type of contract would you be offering Shannahan? You say you are going to give him not just OC but GM too. You're talking Parcell money here which I would imagine is a bit

more than Lovie is making right now. Secondly, in relation to this 'contract' how long and are there incentives? I mean i would guess he would need at least three years (maybe longer) to turn things around and implement all these

changes you suggest. And considering the impatience already expressed by the fans here and out there how long do you and he have to get things on the right track? A lot of what ifs??? One being what if Cutler is lost (God forbid) for part or all the season? Is Hanie a Cutler-like QB that will fit the bill for that patch? You are talking ALOT of money in FA aquisitions alone. Don't forget 2011 is looming and the do or die CBA.

Just a few questions to ponder. I'm looking forward to your reply.