Hester speaks

Connorbear

I couldn't help but see the other sub-headline regarding the players "rallying around Lovie". Will have to see about that story. Meanwhile it is good if not refreshing to see someone like Hester make a candid comment regarding what he sees is ailing the Bears. That primarily being Turner and his inabilities.

Guest TerraTor
Wow, way to go Devin. Speaking the obvious and it sounds like or at least I hope, that there are a lot of people that will be packing there bags over this disastrous season.

how about his role where he scored 13TDs in two seasons?

The problem with Hester speaking is that once reporters went to Lovie with his comments he waffled and said that he was misquoted. Well Devin that is only true if your voice isn't being recorded. He should have stood behind his words because he didn't say them with any malice, he was just stating the obvious for an underacheiving team that hasn't been to the post season in 3 years. This is the type of crap that happens when a team plays this poorly and there is nothing to talk about other than speculation about the future.

I love how, YET AGAIN, this message board has come to a near united, conclusive opinion weeks and weeks in advance of the "people in the know," and despite the waffling left and right, the connections of connections of best friend's girlfriends who say otherwise, it has come to the point where the players have begun taking subtle jabs - as best they can without getting fined - at one of the most inept, offensive Offensive Coordinators in the NFL, Ron Turner.

Reminds me of the John Shoop years, where people ignorantly and stubbornly defended him, but eventually had to face reality.

Yeah, we don't know what we're watching. :rolleyes:

Turner isn't nearly as bad as Shoop, but I get what you're saying. I made a lot of excuses for Turner in the past, not because I thought he was any good, but just because I thought anybody would suck with the talent he had to work with. This season, though, it's become pretty apparent that there are some major coaching problems on offense. Issues with the players aside, there's been incredibly predictable play calling (which Hester pretty much said,) and godawful personnel evaluation. Why did it take them most of a season to play Williams at LT and Shaffer at RT? Why didn't Aromashodu get a shot? Why did Turner keep using Garrett Wolfe and Greg Olsen as blockers? Why is Omiyale still on the roster? Turner's been dealt a pretty bad hand by Angelo, but he's consistently played it in the worst way possible. The guy needs to go.

Turner isn't nearly as bad as Shoop, but I get what you're saying. I made a lot of excuses for Turner in the past, not because I thought he was any good, but just because I thought anybody would suck with the talent he had to work with. This season, though, it's become pretty apparent that there are some major coaching problems on offense. Issues with the players aside, there's been incredibly predictable play calling (which Hester pretty much said,) and godawful personnel evaluation. Why did it take them most of a season to play Williams at LT and Shaffer at RT? Why didn't Aromashodu get a shot? Why did Turner keep using Garrett Wolfe and Greg Olsen as blockers? Why is Omiyale still on the roster? Turner's been dealt a pretty bad hand by Angelo, but he's consistently played it in the worst way possible. The guy needs to go.

[/quote

DFG I'm still wondering about why Omayale is still on the field myself. He is a drive stalling penalty waiting to happen. He reminds me of Bernard "False Start" Robertson.

They were discussing this the other day on the score and it's starting to hit the fan. players throwing coaches under the bus, coaches throwing players under the bus, fans throwing palyers and coaches under the bus, a very busy bus. Things at Halas Hall are coming unglued. Lovie may have lost the team on the field by mid season but he has now lost them completely this team. The Bears are a team with no sense of direction or purpose. Players do not fear Lovie and do not fear speaking their minds and it's like they are now taking up positions and posturing for what they'd like to see happen. They were talking about how when this stuff happens that Lovie is one step closer to getting canned and he better hang on to those cardboard boxes. The fans and the players know there needs to be major changes in order to turn this around and you have the management and front office trying to downplay it.

As for Hester's "retraction" and I only heard part of it so don't flame me if I'm wrong here they were talking about someone from within the Bears organization posting on Hester's twitter page. Saying the comments didn't sound like something Hester would say I don't know if they were referring to how it was worded or something like that. Again I only heard parts of it so I may have heard that wrong but I do remember them saying that they thought that Hester's twitter page was hijacked by a team rep in an attempt to put out fires.

It's hard to believe that just 3 years ago we were on our way to the playoffs as the #1 seed and would later play in the super bowl. How far this franchise has fallen each year since has been worse than the preceding year. The year after the super bowl is fairly common where the looser has a setback year but usually the next season they are back to form but not us. We got worse, then this year we topped that by getting much worse we went from bad to disastrous. When you really look at the bigger picture it's sad because even in the comments about "getting back to that form" we are closing in on a decade since the turn of the century and we have had 3 playoff appearances(2001, 2005, 2006) two of those ending after the first postseason game (2001, and 2005) and of course 2006 going to the big game. The Bears bigger problem is we aren't built to be a perennial post season team we have break out years but then quickly return to bad years again. The whole direction, focus, mentality, structure for this team needs to change we cannot be happy with a handful of decent to good seasons that are overshadowed by the quantity of bad seasons. I get tired of seeing teams that are seemingly always in the playoffs and wishing that was us that somehow we'd get our heads out of our arses and build a team in chicago that could be a contender almost every year. There's a reason people call our playoff run seasons flukes, and lucky because when you look at the bigger picture they do look like flukes and lucky seasons. We aren't the only team with this problem but that's what I think separates the well run franchises and the half arsed run franchises the good ones know how to build their teams for success today as well as tomorrow the bad ones rely on luck, be it health, bounces, flukes, overachievements, etc to be relevent for a season or so and that's good enough. This team doesn't just need changes at personnel, coaching, management, the Bears need to be reborn.

Very well said 2000!

They were discussing this the other day on the score and it's starting to hit the fan. players throwing coaches under the bus, coaches throwing players under the bus, fans throwing palyers and coaches under the bus, a very busy bus. Things at Halas Hall are coming unglued. Lovie may have lost the team on the field by mid season but he has now lost them completely this team. The Bears are a team with no sense of direction or purpose. Players do not fear Lovie and do not fear speaking their minds and it's like they are now taking up positions and posturing for what they'd like to see happen. They were talking about how when this stuff happens that Lovie is one step closer to getting canned and he better hang on to those cardboard boxes. The fans and the players know there needs to be major changes in order to turn this around and you have the management and front office trying to downplay it.

As for Hester's "retraction" and I only heard part of it so don't flame me if I'm wrong here they were talking about someone from within the Bears organization posting on Hester's twitter page. Saying the comments didn't sound like something Hester would say I don't know if they were referring to how it was worded or something like that. Again I only heard parts of it so I may have heard that wrong but I do remember them saying that they thought that Hester's twitter page was hijacked by a team rep in an attempt to put out fires.

It's hard to believe that just 3 years ago we were on our way to the playoffs as the #1 seed and would later play in the super bowl. How far this franchise has fallen each year since has been worse than the preceding year. The year after the super bowl is fairly common where the looser has a setback year but usually the next season they are back to form but not us. We got worse, then this year we topped that by getting much worse we went from bad to disastrous. When you really look at the bigger picture it's sad because even in the comments about "getting back to that form" we are closing in on a decade since the turn of the century and we have had 3 playoff appearances(2001, 2005, 2006) two of those ending after the first postseason game (2001, and 2005) and of course 2006 going to the big game. The Bears bigger problem is we aren't built to be a perennial post season team we have break out years but then quickly return to bad years again. The whole direction, focus, mentality, structure for this team needs to change we cannot be happy with a handful of decent to good seasons that are overshadowed by the quantity of bad seasons. I get tired of seeing teams that are seemingly always in the playoffs and wishing that was us that somehow we'd get our heads out of our arses and build a team in chicago that could be a contender almost every year. There's a reason people call our playoff run seasons flukes, and lucky because when you look at the bigger picture they do look like flukes and lucky seasons. We aren't the only team with this problem but that's what I think separates the well run franchises and the half arsed run franchises the good ones know how to build their teams for success today as well as tomorrow the bad ones rely on luck, be it health, bounces, flukes, overachievements, etc to be relevent for a season or so and that's good enough. This team doesn't just need changes at personnel, coaching, management, the Bears need to be reborn.

BF 2K I got to say 3 playoff appearances in a decade is a whole lot better than 2 playoff between 1963 and 1984(!977 and 1979) which a few of us endured back in the day. That being said you are absolutely right about excpting this crap. When someone referred to this as welcomed to Cubdom it has some merit because this family wants to keep the fans interested enough to keep the cash flow coming. This organization needs to have what happened to the Blackhawks to occur. Not necessarily death but there needs to be an infusion of some youth in management and better way of approaching business. No one saw Rocky Wirtz getting the nod as chairman and I can only hope that Virginia has a similar plan in place if she passes that will not allow Mikey a way back in the mix.

BF 2K I got to say 3 playoff appearances in a decade is a whole lot better than 2 playoff between 1963 and 1984(!977 and 1979) which a few of us endured back in the day. That being said you are absolutely right about excpting this crap. When someone referred to this as welcomed to Cubdom it has some merit because this family wants to keep the fans interested enough to keep the cash flow coming. This organization needs to have what happened to the Blackhawks to occur. Not necessarily death but there needs to be an infusion of some youth in management and better way of approaching business. No one saw Rocky Wirtz getting the nod as chairman and I can only hope that Virginia has a similar plan in place if she passes that will not allow Mikey a way back in the mix.

Being born in 77 I was not alive then but you are right there have been worse stretches and I was simply using the current decade as an example. Longest stretch between playoff appearances was 1963-1977 which was 14 years! So this past decade isn't the driest spell but looking at the current NFL landscape and seeing teams go from non factors to perennial playoff teams like the colts, Patriots, Saints, to name a few. While our team seems stuck on mediocre with a few good seasons sprinkled in here and there.

This is a list of the Bears playoff appearances.

1933, 1934, 1937, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1946, 1950, 1956, 1963, 1977, 1979, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 2001, 2005, 2006

Your last line made me think that if Turner player poker, he'd get a low pocket-pair, but fold them pre-flop because they weren't Aces.