The Say "Bye-Bye" List

DABEARSDABOMB

Who do you guys think will be gone this year (coaches/players):

Coaching Staff: Everyone but Dave Toub/Rod Marinelli. Toub/Marinelli may go because of what happens but I think whomever the Bears bring in will consider keeping those two individuals.

Players:

Tommie Harris

Adewale Ogunleye

Brian Urlacher

Jason McKie

Orlando Pace

Roberto Garza

Craig Steltz

Hunter Hillmeyer

Mark Anderson

Maybe:

Kreutz

Jamar Williams

Unless it's another cover/Tampa-2 sycphant, I see marilelli tossed out as well. he hasn't done jack here, comes with the Lions baggage,etc... If you're a new DC, you want your men in there.

You think those players will be gone or won't be gone?

I severely doubt Urlacher will be gone. Url is still the face of the organization. At least the face that doesn't throw picks endlessly.

Coaching Staff: Everyone but Dave Toub/Rod Marinelli. Toub/Marinelli may go because of what happens but I think whomever the Bears bring in will consider keeping those two individuals.

Players:

Tommie Harris

Adewale Ogunleye

Brian Urlacher

Jason McKie

Orlando Pace

Roberto Garza

Craig Steltz

Hunter Hillmeyer

Mark Anderson

Maybe:

Kreutz

Jamar Williams

Unless it's another cover/Tampa-2 sycphant, I see marilelli tossed out as well. he hasn't done jack here, comes with the Lions baggage,etc... If you're a new DC, you want your men in there.

You think those players will be gone or won't be gone?

I severely doubt Urlacher will be gone. Url is still the face of the organization. At least the face that doesn't throw picks endlessly.

I think the Bears will try and trade Urlacher. I'm probably being unrealistic there, but all of those other players I firmly believe will be shown the door.

I pretty much agree about all but Urlacher. I just don't see it happening...

I actually think we'd get better value for Briggs. And I really don't want to get rid of either guy.

I think the Bears will try and trade Urlacher. I'm probably being unrealistic there, but all of those other players I firmly believe will be shown the door.

I don't see any reason Marinielli should be excluded. There was so much hype, but who on our DL has looked improved? I am not necessarily putting it all on him, but I see nothing that he has done positive to keep a job when all others are fired.

Players:

Tommie Harris

I go back and forth on him. I don't know that I would simply cut him, but I would not look at him the same either. I would like to see what Harris would do if (a) we had a different coach and scheme and (B) he was rotated more.

Adewale Ogunleye

He is a FA anyway, and simply will not be re-signed.

Brian Urlacher

I would not get rid of him. He isn't the player he once was, but is still a damn good LB, and one that puts the entire D playing at a higher level.

Jason McKie

Preaching to the choir.

Orlando Pace

Hell yes.

Roberto Garza

Why? I have never been a big Garza fan, but he has probably been our best starter this year. Now, I realize that isn't saying much, but when you have so many holes on the OL to fill, does it make sense to get rid of one of the few non-holes. I would love to replace him one day, but we have bigger holes to fill first.

Craig Steltz

He's still on the team?

Hunter Hillmeyer

I have no problem with Hilly. Frankly, I would rather keep him and keep our LB corp intact and work to fix other areas.

Mark Anderson

FA anyway, and gone.

Maybe:

Kreutz

I personally would have no problem with this, but feel our OL has too many holes to deal w/ all at once. I think Kreutz will be in his final year, and will most likely just play it out.

Jamar Williams

Huh? Why? He is cheap and has played well when given a chance. Why in the world would you get rid of him.

I agree that Toub is the one true star of this coaching staff and if this organization does what it normally does in coaching searches don't be surprised if Toub would be considered for the HC job.

What I like about him is that he takes whatever he is given and coaches them up. Look at how many guys have had TD returns on special teams since he came here. His unit has 2 missed FG returns for over 100 yards. No other team can make that claim. I never would have pictured Earl Bennett as a guy who could take one to the house on a punt return but he put him out there to make the play. He also saw something in our one consistent scoring threat Robbie Gould to keep him on the roster. I like Toub and hope he's here before anyone else.

I don't see any reason Marinielli should be excluded. There was so much hype, but who on our DL has looked improved? I am not necessarily putting it all on him, but I see nothing that he has done positive to keep a job when all others are fired.

Players:

Tommie Harris

I go back and forth on him. I don't know that I would simply cut him, but I would not look at him the same either. I would like to see what Harris would do if (a) we had a different coach and scheme and ( B) he was rotated more.

Adewale Ogunleye

He is a FA anyway, and simply will not be re-signed.

Brian Urlacher

I would not get rid of him. He isn't the player he once was, but is still a damn good LB, and one that puts the entire D playing at a higher level.

Jason McKie

Preaching to the choir.

Orlando Pace

Hell yes.

Roberto Garza

Why? I have never been a big Garza fan, but he has probably been our best starter this year. Now, I realize that isn't saying much, but when you have so many holes on the OL to fill, does it make sense to get rid of one of the few non-holes. I would love to replace him one day, but we have bigger holes to fill first.

Craig Steltz

He's still on the team?

Hunter Hillmeyer

I have no problem with Hilly. Frankly, I would rather keep him and keep our LB corp intact and work to fix other areas.

Mark Anderson

FA anyway, and gone.

Maybe:

Kreutz

I personally would have no problem with this, but feel our OL has too many holes to deal w/ all at once. I think Kreutz will be in his final year, and will most likely just play it out.

Jamar Williams

Huh? Why? He is cheap and has played well when given a chance. Why in the world would you get rid of him.

Jamar Williams is a FA and he wont' be back because he never got an opportunity. I think he should be starting on the outside with Briggs playing in the middle. I wanted to see what Briggs could do there because it would allow the Bears to play Williams on the outside and Roach which would be a pretty athletic linebacking corp and open up the possibilities of moving Urlacher for a 2nd round pick.

Tommie Harris needs to go because he makes a lot of money, runs his mouth like an idiot, and quite frankly isn't very good. He's the typical make excuse type of guy and that attitude doesn't belong on the Bears.

I agree that Toub is the one true star of this coaching staff and if this organization does what it normally does in coaching searches don't be surprised if Toub would be considered for the HC job.

What I like about him is that he takes whatever he is given and coaches them up. Look at how many guys have had TD returns on special teams since he came here. His unit has 2 missed FG returns for over 100 yards. No other team can make that claim. I never would have pictured Earl Bennett as a guy who could take one to the house on a punt return but he put him out there to make the play. He also saw something in our one consistent scoring threat Robbie Gould to keep him on the roster. I like Toub and hope he's here before anyone else.

Toub is the reason I've always thought Hester as a return-man was over-rated. Yes he was special but over the years with Toub, the Bears have had a lot of very good return men. Jerry Azumah was pretty freakin good too.

Jamar Williams is a FA and he wont' be back because he never got an opportunity. I think he should be starting on the outside with Briggs playing in the middle. I wanted to see what Briggs could do there because it would allow the Bears to play Williams on the outside and Roach which would be a pretty athletic linebacking corp and open up the possibilities of moving Urlacher for a 2nd round pick.

Got it. If the CBA is not signed, then Williams is a RFA though.

I would also have liked to see Briggs in the middle. If Briggs could have played MLB and Williams WLB, then it could have put us in a position to deal Urlacher.

Tommie Harris needs to go because he makes a lot of money, runs his mouth like an idiot, and quite frankly isn't very good. He's the typical make excuse type of guy and that attitude doesn't belong on the Bears.

Money will be a big factor, but I was under the impression his contract, moving forward, was not that big. I thought we gave him a chunk up-front in the form of a roster bonus, thus not spread out, and also tied a bunch to incentives, which he will not reach.

Got it. If the CBA is not signed, then Williams is a RFA though.

I would also have liked to see Briggs in the middle. If Briggs could have played MLB and Williams WLB, then it could have put us in a position to deal Urlacher.

Money will be a big factor, but I was under the impression his contract, moving forward, was not that big. I thought we gave him a chunk up-front in the form of a roster bonus, thus not spread out, and also tied a bunch to incentives, which he will not reach.

Harris will get paid about 8.5 to 9M each year. The cap hit to cut him will not be significant though because of the way the Bears structured the deal.

Harris will get paid about 8.5 to 9M each year. The cap hit to cut him will not be significant though because of the way the Bears structured the deal.

This is a really tough decision:

Tackle Asst sack

Tommie Harris CHI DT 20 15 5 2.5

Israel Idonije CHI DT 16 12 4 2.5

Anthony AdamsCHI DT 35 30 5 2.0

Marcus HarrisonCHI DT 24 16 8 1.0

Guest TerraTor
I pretty much agree about all but Urlacher. I just don't see it happening...

I actually think we'd get better value for Briggs. And I really don't want to get rid of either guy.

Trade Briggs? Ya wut we need is to get ridda the good players and draft more clowns to cut 2 years later.

Urlacher has never been garbage for this team, dont care what anyone says, he will die a bear.

we need to get better Oline and an actual WR. Put Hester in PR duties (you know where he made his mark).

Put all the draft picks into the Defense

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Bears tried to trade Hester. It looks like he's about reached his peak as a player. He's never going to be an elite receiver. This is now his 3rd year as a WR. He has pretty good hands but he's never going to be a guy that can make the spectacular catch for his size ala Steve Smith. And I don't think he's a particularly smart receiver.

Trade Briggs? Ya wut we need is to get ridda the good players and draft more clowns to cut 2 years later.

Urlacher has never been garbage for this team, dont care what anyone says, he will die a bear.

we need to get better Oline and an actual WR. Put Hester in PR duties (you know where he made his mark).

I would actually put more picks into the O. I would draft a RB, FB, OG and OT.(in no particular order) That's 4 for the offense. Maybe get a good FB in FA. Who knows.

Huh? :blink:

Get better on OL and WR, but put all the draft picks into the defense? That doesn't make sense at all.

Is that cap charge? I really didn't think he was supposed to hit our cap for so much each year. I thought he had signed a pretty team friendly contract.

Look. I think Harris is an idiot. At the same time, even this year, I think the DL plays better w/ him that w/o. Before we simply get rid of him, I would like to see what a new coaching staff might get out of him. If you have a lazy player who underperformes, I don't think Lovie is the sort of coach that inspires him. But we could be adding the sort of coach who lights a fire under Harris, or others, arces, and thus Harris could become a much better player again.

Is that cap charge? I really didn't think he was supposed to hit our cap for so much each year. I thought he had signed a pretty team friendly contract.

Look. I think Harris is an idiot. At the same time, even this year, I think the DL plays better w/ him that w/o. Before we simply get rid of him, I would like to see what a new coaching staff might get out of him. If you have a lazy player who underperformes, I don't think Lovie is the sort of coach that inspires him. But we could be adding the sort of coach who lights a fire under Harris, or others, arces, and thus Harris could become a much better player again.

Agreed. His 2.5 million dollar roster bonus is not do to June 1st. Plenty of time to figure out who will be coaching him before making a decision.

Peace :dabears

Harris' contract info

6/19/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract extension through 2012. The deal contains $18 million guaranteed, including a $6.5 million signing bonus and a $3.5 million roster bonus in the first year. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2009: $620,000 (+ $6.67 million roster bonus due 2/27), 2010: $1.235 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due in June), 2011: $2.3125 million, 2012: $2.5 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charge: $9.09 million (2009).

The bulk of that extension money has either already been paid to him in the form of $6.67 roster bonus paid this year and $3.5m roster bonus last year. Further, he received his $6.5m SB upon signing.

Next year, he is due another roster bonus, but is it far smaller, $2.5m). As he has not gone to the pro bowl (part of his incentives) he isn't going to have a lot of "other" money coming his way. Last year and this year, the first two years of his extension, were the expensive ones. The next two years are relatively inexpensive.

As I mentioned in another post, even w/ that $2.5m roster bonus, his contract over the next two years doesn't look that high. The bulk of his extension was up-front, w/ most of the money paid in the first 2 years (2008 and 2009) and tied into incentives which he is not meeting.

Point is, I think we have time even after that roster bonus is paid.

Agreed. His 2.5 million dollar roster bonus is not do to June 1st. Plenty of time to figure out who will be coaching him before making a decision.

If Marinelli couldn't do it, no one can. And don't give me this, Marinelli didn't do much for the team. Marinelli has done it with the best of them and is so well respected when it comes to coaching the line that you have to said with Rob on this.

Harris should go and he does have a cap-friendly deal, if we cut him there is no hit. If we don't, he makes 8 or 9M. I forget which, but I think it is 9M cash.

Harris' contract info

6/19/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract extension through 2012. The deal contains $18 million guaranteed, including a $6.5 million signing bonus and a $3.5 million roster bonus in the first year. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2009: $620,000 (+ $6.67 million roster bonus due 2/27), 2010: $1.235 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due in June), 2011: $2.3125 million, 2012: $2.5 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charge: $9.09 million (2009).

The bulk of that extension money has either already been paid to him in the form of $6.67 roster bonus paid this year and $3.5m roster bonus last year. Further, he received his $6.5m SB upon signing.

Next year, he is due another roster bonus, but is it far smaller, $2.5m). As he has not gone to the pro bowl (part of his incentives) he isn't going to have a lot of "other" money coming his way. Last year and this year, the first two years of his extension, were the expensive ones. The next two years are relatively inexpensive.

I stand corrected.

Players:

Tommie Harris

Adewale Ogunleye

Brian Urlacher

Jason McKie

Orlando Pace

Roberto Garza

Craig Steltz

Hunter Hillmeyer

Mark Anderson

Maybe:

Kreutz

Jamar Williams

Tommie Harris-Would love to see him go on principle, but if we don't save alot of money getting rid of him and aren't sure we can get better, might as well keep him until his deal is done....

Adewale-I say keep him if he doesn't cost too much, he is a character guy and solid....

Url-Let him go, way past his prime, lets let some of the young talent develop.

Pace-Worthless, gone.

Steltz-Way too early to give up on him unless he costs alot...which I don't believe he does

McKie-Cut if can get someone better.

Garza-Why cut him? He is the best of the OLine I believe...

HH-On the fence with him, he is solid and smart but we have some young LB's to start giving time to who probably have more talent

MA-Keep if it does not cost too much, still has promise.

Kreutz-Cut him if we think Beekman is ready

Williams-Keep for a reasonable price, good talent

If Marinelli couldn't do it, no one can. And don't give me this, Marinelli didn't do much for the team. Marinelli has done it with the best of them and is so well respected when it comes to coaching the line that you have to said with Rob on this.

Harris should go and he does have a cap-friendly deal, if we cut him there is no hit. If we don't, he makes 8 or 9M. I forget which, but I think it is 9M cash.

Let's cut to chase here: Is Tommie Harris the problem with our DTs? His attitude has been sh***y ever since he got his huge contract. He has been disciplined multiple times for not adhering to team rules and/or not working out/rehabbing. While he might be our best player is he a cancer in the locker room? Fact is guys see who is making the big bucks and no matter what that gives a guy something of a lead role in the locker room. It's like that everywhere...people see what it takes to make more money and they'll emulate it even if it's selfish behavior.

I say he is.

Why the hell would we cut him! God that has to be the stupidest thing to do. Then again I could see this team doing that b/c we are run by a bunch of losers who don't know how to run a team. Look at the pats or any other good team. They get something for their players richard freakin seymore got the pats a first round pick for christ sakes, I find it hard to believe we couldn't get squat for harris but you're right this organization i could see doing something so stupid like cutting him. B/c that is what makes us perpetual losers and teams like the pats winners.

I don't know. As much as I blast Harris, at the same time, in the two games we were w/o Harris, our DL looked so much worse it wasn't even funny. That forced me to really wonder. As poor as he has played, he still seems like the best, by a considerable margin, at DT.

If any of our other players were stepping up, it may give us more room to think about what to do w/ Harris, but frankly, our group of DTs is between average to flat out sucks. Adams and Idonije are nice rotation guys, but heading into the season w/ either set to start and play a large role would be equal (IMHO) to when we felt St. Clair could become an everydown starter.

Harrison was supposed to be this 1st round value that fell due to some red flags, but he looks more like a 7th round value to me.

Gilbert can leap out of a pool, and looks great doing it, but this is a 3rd round rookie that can't even show the coaches enough to be given a 2nd thought.

Who else is there. Toenia, or however you spell it. Fan favorite after a game or two where he showed a flash here and there, but few of those fan favs ever turn out to be more than just that, a flash that quickly burns out and moves on to another team.

Here are the problems as I see them.

(a) This team has a bevy of holes, w/ little by way of draft picks and a very uncertain FA coming up due to the CBA.

(B) We already have one hole at DT, as not a single one of our DTs have stepped up to show they are capable of starting.

© As poorly as Harris has played, at the end of the day, he is still our best DT, and by a large margin. If we get rid of him also, we now have not only one, but two holes to fill at DT.

I am not a Harris fan, but I would not cut him. If another team offered up a nice package, that is another story, but I don't see that happening. No, I would work on other holes first, and hope that another year (and hopefully new coaching) will see a change in Harris. If not, we may be able to get rid of him in another year, after some holes are filled and we have more draft picks to fill further holes with.

Let's cut to chase here: Is Tommie Harris the problem with our DTs? His attitude has been sh***y ever since he got his huge contract. He has been disciplined multiple times for not adhering to team rules and/or not working out/rehabbing. While he might be our best player is he a cancer in the locker room? Fact is guys see who is making the big bucks and no matter what that gives a guy something of a lead role in the locker room. It's like that everywhere...people see what it takes to make more money and they'll emulate it even if it's selfish behavior.

I say he is.