From Pro Football Weekly

jason

Finally given the chance to show why Jay Cutler has been lobbying so hard on his behalf since the start of training camp, WR Devin Aromashodu made a strong impression in the Week 14 loss to the Packers. Aromashodu highlighted his first start as a Bear with a terrific 10-yard back-shoulder TD catch. He had two catches for 10 yards in Week 15. "Cutler likes that he's a bigger target," a team insider said of Aromashodu, who was plucked off the Redskins' practice squad last season. "He's not just a possession guy; he can stretch the field. And he's the only receiver on the team who can win jump balls." Why the Bears waited so long before working Aromashodu into the mix wasn't the only question left unanswered after Week 14. Equally curious was the decision not to start LB Jamar Williams one week after a 20-tackle performance against the Rams that many believe deserved a lot better.

Good questions.

I think Aromashodu just lost out in a numbers game. Bennet, because he was not used last year, is essentially a rookie. Knox is obviously a rookie. And there is no way Hester didn't start.

Williams, however, is a different story. He should have seen more playing time.

W/ DA, it is a numbers game, but at the same time, I also question the numbers a bit. I think many forget that DA was set to be a game 1 contributor. It was DA who won out in camp, and was set to be our #3 WR behind Hester and Bennett, but then he got hurt, and Knox had to step in, and did he ever. Knox did well enough early that DA simply missed his window.

With that said, I am not sure I agree w/ the idea of keeping only 3 WRs active on game days. Davis is the 4th, but he was really relagated to special teams this year, and not considered much of a WR. I just always felt we could have kept one more WR active.

As for Williams, I think he is a unique situation. He is simply stuck behind our only solid defender (Briggs). If he played just about any other position on this team, I think we would have seen much more of him, but he was stuck behind Briggs. I think the team has at times tried to look at him at SLB or even MLB, but for whatever reason, it never stuck.

While I am not sure how easy something like this is, I think we would have been better off telling Briggs to shut it down for the year. You see it w/ other teams when they are done for the year. It isn't like Briggs has to worry about job security, or that he is looking for a payday. He already has both. He could have shut it down for the final 3 meaningless games, while the team could finally get a chance to see what Williams can do.

Finally given the chance to show why Jay Cutler has been lobbying so hard on his behalf since the start of training camp, WR Devin Aromashodu made a strong impression in the Week 14 loss to the Packers. Aromashodu highlighted his first start as a Bear with a terrific 10-yard back-shoulder TD catch. He had two catches for 10 yards in Week 15. "Cutler likes that he's a bigger target," a team insider said of Aromashodu, who was plucked off the Redskins' practice squad last season. "He's not just a possession guy; he can stretch the field. And he's the only receiver on the team who can win jump balls." Why the Bears waited so long before working Aromashodu into the mix wasn't the only question left unanswered after Week 14. Equally curious was the decision not to start LB Jamar Williams one week after a 20-tackle performance against the Rams that many believe deserved a lot better.

Good questions.

I think Aromashodu just lost out in a numbers game. Bennet, because he was not used last year, is essentially a rookie. Knox is obviously a rookie. And there is no way Hester didn't start.

Williams, however, is a different story. He should have seen more playing time.