I just lost some respect for Jaws

jason

I don't know what the hell he is looking at on film, but there is no way only two or three of the picks are not Cutler's fault. I can think of two falling WRs, two wrong routes by WRs, one DPI not called, and the play where Hester ran into the Ump just off the top of my head.

I don't know what the hell he is looking at on film, but there is no way only two or three of the picks are not Cutler's fault. I can think of two falling WRs, two wrong routes by WRs, one DPI not called, and the play where Hester ran into the Ump just off the top of my head.

Whose fault was the pick he just threw?

Who gives a crap what Jaws says. Who really cares who's fault it is. We all know Cutler has not played as advertised and he has to play much, much better next yr.

Peace :dabears

The pick this game is all Cutler. He tried to force it. But to argue on the side of Jaws in this regard is highly ignorant. Nobody can tell me only two or three are on others, and the rest are on Cutler. Sounds like Jaws is analyzing into things like the "almost INT" stat.

Who gives a crap what Jaws says. Who really cares who's fault it is. We all know Cutler has not played as advertised and he has to play much, much better next yr.

Peace :dabears

I give a crap because I am a Bear fan, and get sick of the lazy reporting that causes people to ignorantly base opinions on stats and stats alone.

The pick this game is all Cutler. He tried to force it. But to argue on the side of Jaws in this regard is highly ignorant. Nobody can tell me only two or three are on others, and the rest are on Cutler. Sounds like Jaws is analyzing into things like the "almost INT" stat.

Yes, clearly the guy who has unlimited access to game film and years of experience breaking down that film is ignorant.

Yes, clearly the guy who has unlimited access to game film and years of experience breaking down that film is ignorant.

Well great. I hope you support his view that our Coach is not at fault and enjoy him and his dynamo Turner next year. Because his years of watching film and experience is so much more than a few fans, some money and a sign.

I won't even take the bait. You're clearly being stupid just to get a response. See Connorbear's reply about announcers if you want the real answer.

Well great. I hope you support his view that our Coach is not at fault and enjoy him and his dynamo Turner next year. Because his years of watching film and experience is so much more than a few fans, some money and a sign.

lol No just that Jay Grossman is a turnover machine.

Lovie is to blame for not holding these guys accountable for that bullcrap product we see on the field.

lol No just that Jay Grossman is a turnover machine.

Lovie is to blame for not holding these guys accountable for that bullcrap product we see on the field.

According to the pun-dents in the booth you are wrong. Lovie is not to blame. They feel sorry for him. Gruden was just trumping the patented Lovie D. The same D getting torched right now.

What a witty cute nickname you have found for Jay. So original. You should patent that.

Jaworski knows a thing or two about INTs since he threw a ton as a mediocre QB.

INTs are very subjective if you are trying to place blame.

The stat is a QB stat so you could say every INT was Cutler's fault, and you would not be wrong. Now Jaworski said something like 22 out of Culter's other 25 INTs were his fault. Meaning that somehow he could determine based on film alone that Cutler made the mistake. However, he doesn't necessarily know the call, the route the receivers were supposed to run, etc. Just by watching the games, I would say about half (12-13) were all on Cutler. The other half were receiver faults or clear non-penalty calls.

I have not seen nor heard any unbiased commentators in regards to any Chicago sports teams in god only knows how long. There seems to be a real hatred for Chicago by all of the media outlets and last night only proved it once again. Their entire focus was on the ViQueens and what they needed to do versus that this was another key divisional game against hated rivals in another season. There is always to much East Coast bias and brain washing by the East Coast media. I liked Jaws as a player however, he rambles on and on about basically nothing and Gruden who may have had a little better insight was hampered in any attempt to provide legitimate insight on the game. Tirico additionally does not have the balls to tell Jaws to just shut the hell up once in a while nor the director of the broadcast. Until the National Media drops their pathetic biases, we will be stuck with inferior commentary by the networks.

Az, do you think so little of your own eyes? Do you simply believe what anyone with a microphone tells you? We have a government full of people w/ far more access to intelligence then you or I. Do you simply thus take each and everyone at their word?

I get that you have so many times felt it silly than any here could coach or be a GM. I get that. At the same time, I think you take it to extremes. Just because Jaws has access to game film, that means we should take him at his word. Guess what. We have access to game film as well. I suppose you can argue he has access to more angles, but tell me this. How much time is he spending analyizing every pick? Jaws as a lot on his plate. You think he is spending a massive amount of time on just Cutler?

Point is, while I get that you don't feel any here could hold their own if thrown into a legit NFL position. What I do not get is the idea that anything any "expert" says is beyond reproach because their intelligence and access to intelligence is so far beyond our own.

Further, how do you account for other "experts" who contradict Jaws. You watch the games, just as I do. That means you have heard announcers (often former coaches, players, etc.) flat out say this pick or that pick was not on Jay. They point out a WR running the wrong route, or falling on his arce when the ball is in the air, or the WR stopping their route, or....or....or..... If you have watched every game, which I know you have, then you had to have heard other "experts" declare numerous other picks not Cutler's fault.

This doesn't even take into account your own eyes. Sorry, but when I see Cutler throw a ball, the WR fall on his arce, and the ball sail into the hands of a DB, I know the pick was not on Cutler. I don't need an NFL "expert" to tell me that.

Yes, Cutler has been a turnover machine. Yes, MANY of the picks were his fault. We can talk about poor WR play, poor OL play, whatever, but those do not excuse some of the really bad decision making we have seen from Cutler. But as Jason said, Jaws saying all but 2 picks were all Cutler is a flat out joke.

The pick that didn't happen last night.

There was a play last night that I think really reflects on the season as a whole. Cutler throws to the left under pressure and there really isn't a bear close to the pass. Olsen is the nearest, but a pair of Viqueens are closer. Announcers talked at length about what happened. It was a hot route. There were two weak side blitzes, thus Olsen, lined up on the weak side, was supposed to run a hot route. Olsen run out a few yards, and then just stopped. Cutler obviously expected him to break to the sideline, which the announcers said would have been the hot route. Olsen though had not read the defense the same as Cutler, and thus was not running a hot route. So the result is he was no where near where Cutler threw the ball.

The announcers then began to talk about the hot route. Gruden was bashing the idea of hot routes, saying too many bad things can happen. Jaws seems to believe hot routes are fine, but players just need to be on the same page. Regardless, it was obvious that in the 15th game of the season, Olsen and Cutler are still not close to being on the same page.

Look. Anyone who tries to claim Cutler does not deserve a share, a nice sized share, of the blame for the turnovers and overall poor offense is burying their head in the sand. Like the pick last night, he too often tries to force throws that simply should not be made. He did so with a lead, and w/o reason to the ball. Rather than pin the Queens deep, we give them the ball at midfield. Cutler has made way to many bad decisions like that, is similar situations all year.

With that said, while i think we have talent along the receiver front, I also think we have seen a total lack of chemistry between Cutler and some of our receivers. Maybe chemistry is the wrong word, but our QB and receivers have simply not been on th same page. Whether it is reading a defense and thus the hot route, or young WRs running the wrong route, or something as simple as the ball thrown to a shoulder/side the WR was not expecting. The good is, I think Cutler has shown more chemistry w/ Bennett and now Aramoshadu. I think he has had "some" chemistry w/ Knox, but I think while Knox is an exceptional talent, you can see a lack of experience out there in how he runs routes at times. The problem though, IMHO, is that Cutler seems to most be on the wrong page w/ Hester (our supposed #1 WR) and Olsen (the TE who was expected to be our top weapon this year). There are many reasons for Cutler's 2009 demise, but IMHO, his not being on the same page as w/ his top 2 playmakers has been key.

Realistically there are about 7 or 8 and it could be even more than that. But he's also had some that could have been picked where he shouldn't. He hasn't been great, but he hasn't been as bad as most have said.

I give a crap because I am a Bear fan, and get sick of the lazy reporting that causes people to ignorantly base opinions on stats and stats alone.

The problem is most Bear fans are stupid fans. I don't like saying it but its true and they are ignorant and throw Jay under the bus harder than most cities. They did the same to Rex and it was sickening.

The pick that didn't happen last night.

There was a play last night that I think really reflects on the season as a whole. Cutler throws to the left under pressure and there really isn't a bear close to the pass. Olsen is the nearest, but a pair of Viqueens are closer. Announcers talked at length about what happened. It was a hot route. There were two weak side blitzes, thus Olsen, lined up on the weak side, was supposed to run a hot route. Olsen run out a few yards, and then just stopped. Cutler obviously expected him to break to the sideline, which the announcers said would have been the hot route. Olsen though had not read the defense the same as Cutler, and thus was not running a hot route. So the result is he was no where near where Cutler threw the ball.

The announcers then began to talk about the hot route. Gruden was bashing the idea of hot routes, saying too many bad things can happen. Jaws seems to believe hot routes are fine, but players just need to be on the same page. Regardless, it was obvious that in the 15th game of the season, Olsen and Cutler are still not close to being on the same page.

Look. Anyone who tries to claim Cutler does not deserve a share, a nice sized share, of the blame for the turnovers and overall poor offense is burying their head in the sand. Like the pick last night, he too often tries to force throws that simply should not be made. He did so with a lead, and w/o reason to the ball. Rather than pin the Queens deep, we give them the ball at midfield. Cutler has made way to many bad decisions like that, is similar situations all year.

With that said, while i think we have talent along the receiver front, I also think we have seen a total lack of chemistry between Cutler and some of our receivers. Maybe chemistry is the wrong word, but our QB and receivers have simply not been on th same page. Whether it is reading a defense and thus the hot route, or young WRs running the wrong route, or something as simple as the ball thrown to a shoulder/side the WR was not expecting. The good is, I think Cutler has shown more chemistry w/ Bennett and now Aramoshadu. I think he has had "some" chemistry w/ Knox, but I think while Knox is an exceptional talent, you can see a lack of experience out there in how he runs routes at times. The problem though, IMHO, is that Cutler seems to most be on the wrong page w/ Hester (our supposed #1 WR) and Olsen (the TE who was expected to be our top weapon this year). There are many reasons for Cutler's 2009 demise, but IMHO, his not being on the same page as w/ his top 2 playmakers has been key.

I agree totally. Now, I'm hoping that this season was not a totalwaste in that it did allow Cutler and his WRs to get some much needed experience. And, I don't expect Jay to be the turnover machine next year, but show the solid talent we all know he has.

A concern though is that I simply have not seen the improved chemistry w/ Cutler and either Hester or Olsen. It would be one thing if they started out on the wrong page, but have we ever really seen them get on the same page throughout the season. I don't mean a play here or there, but on a broader scale.

For Hester, it may not be a big deal. I do not expect us to enter next season w/ him as our starter, but for Olsen? He is supposed to be not only the TE of now and the future, but one of our top playmakers. If he and Cutler can't get on the same page, and its been 15 games now, there is a bit of trouble there.

I agree totally. Now, I'm hoping that this season was not a totalwaste in that it did allow Cutler and his WRs to get some much needed experience. And, I don't expect Jay to be the turnover machine next year, but show the solid talent we all know he has.

A concern though is that I simply have not seen the improved chemistry w/ Cutler and either Hester or Olsen. It would be one thing if they started out on the wrong page, but have we ever really seen them get on the same page throughout the season. I don't mean a play here or there, but on a broader scale.

For Hester, it may not be a big deal. I do not expect us to enter next season w/ him as our starter, but for Olsen? He is supposed to be not only the TE of now and the future, but one of our top playmakers. If he and Cutler can't get on the same page, and its been 15 games now, there is a bit of trouble there.

With Olsen, I expect much, much more. Going into the season, it was reported that they were joined at the hip, but on game days Olsen seems to be out of position. Olsen should have been one of our strengths.

Hester, well he has a long way to go, and he is o longer the big threat on returns. Heck, the way other guys have been contributing on returns, Hester could be odd man out.

Last week Bilick was talking about how Cutler can only throw what he "sees" because he can't trust his WR or TE to run the route the way he's expecting it to be run. You add to that an Oline that been porous, a bad running game, plus a QB who is wants to always make the play, plus a defense that gives nobody confidence they can stop anyone and you have the perfect recipe for lots of INTs.

I blame Cutler for 1/3 of the picks, WR for the other 1/3, and coaching for the last 1/3. Everyone leaves out the coaches but they have a hand in this mess too.

I like Jaws though but I know enough about him (i.e. he is human) to know he isn't always right.

I looked at EVERY INT on NFL.com, and I can unequivocally say that Jaws is talking out of his ass. Even if I am harsh, there is no way more than about 16-18 are on Cutler...which is admittedly not good. But to say 22 out of 26 are on Cutler is f'ng stupid. I defy ANYONE to look at all the highlights, read the play by plays, and rewatch games, and then try to come up with that bogus ass number Jaws orally excreted on national television.

I am even willing to debate on an INT by INT basis. Jaws was just reading stat lines and box scores. No way in hell he watched all the game film and came up with those numbers. If he did, I guarantee he fell asleep somewhere in the middle and woke up during the Baltimore game.

What I think happened is, Jaws was also putting in his opinion of sipmly when Cutler should not have thrown the ball in that direction. What I mean is, if a WR is "relatively" covered, Cutler throws to him, WRs slips and CB picks it off, I think most here would say that pick is not on Cutler, but Jaws may look at a play like that and say Cutler should have never thrown it in that direction in the first place.

I am not saying Jaws would be right. I also think, if this is the case, Jaws is putting a great deal of his own opinion and conjecture in there when he made it sound more like fact when he mentioned the 21 or 22 of 26 being all Cutler.

That's the best reasoning I can come up with. There were some plays I can recall where the result was a pick, though do to something like the ball bounced off the WRs hands into the CBs, but also recall on some of those same plays announcers saying it was a bad decision in the first place because the WR was covered or this or that.

Again, not saying this would justify Jaws statement, but if this is the case, it may better explain how he came up w/ such a stat.

Honestly though, at the end of the day, is there really a point in this? Every QB in the NFL has ints that should really not have gone against him. Every one. Then again, every QB in the NFL has plenty of passes that could have/should have been picked off, and yet those do not hit the stat sheet. The only reason we are having to take the time to go through each and ever pick is because there are simply so damn many.

Look, not every pick Grossman had was 100% on him. He too had plenty of issues at WR, OL, RB and playcalling. But even when looking at body of work as a whole, what I felt was a major lack in decision making. We can go through each and every pick, but at the end of the day, Cutler has shown some awful decision making so far. Even in a game like the last, when most everything seemed to be clicking, he had that one pick that was just flat out ugly. I mean, when we look at it, you just scratch your head and ask what was he thinking. Cutler is FAR from our main problem, but when we are looking at new staff to run this team, we also I think have to factor a coach who can help Cutler. Not just with elevating his ceiling, but his floor needs to be elevated too.

I looked at EVERY INT on NFL.com, and I can unequivocally say that Jaws is talking out of his ass. Even if I am harsh, there is no way more than about 16-18 are on Cutler...which is admittedly not good. But to say 22 out of 26 are on Cutler is f'ng stupid. I defy ANYONE to look at all the highlights, read the play by plays, and rewatch games, and then try to come up with that bogus ass number Jaws orally excreted on national television.

I am even willing to debate on an INT by INT basis. Jaws was just reading stat lines and box scores. No way in hell he watched all the game film and came up with those numbers. If he did, I guarantee he fell asleep somewhere in the middle and woke up during the Baltimore game.