Forte played hurt all year

flea

DETROIT -- After a season of wondering what was wrong with Matt Forte, the Bears finally admitted injuries played a role in his mediocre 2009 campaign.

"I think [his health] had something to do with it," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "I don't think coming into it he was as healthy as he was a year ago. I think as the season wore on, that improved, and it showed."

Forte dealt with hamstring problems in the offseason, then apparently hurt his MCL early in the season.

"I think there was a drop-off [after the MCL injury], definitely," Turner said. "I don't think he had the acceleration or the burst we normally see from him. Yeah, I definitely had an affect."

"It's a factor anytime you play football, everybody has injuries," Forte said in the postgame locker room. "That's not an excuse as to why the running game struggled, or we had an unproductive season. But everybody has to deal with injuries."

Forte finished with 929 rushing yards and 471 receiving yards. Respectable numbers, but expect much better results in 2010 if Forte is able to stay healthy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagobears/post/...alth-issuesBear

DETROIT -- After a season of wondering what was wrong with Matt Forte, the Bears finally admitted injuries played a role in his mediocre 2009 campaign.

"I think [his health] had something to do with it," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "I don't think coming into it he was as healthy as he was a year ago. I think as the season wore on, that improved, and it showed."

Forte dealt with hamstring problems in the offseason, then apparently hurt his MCL early in the season.

"I think there was a drop-off [after the MCL injury], definitely," Turner said. "I don't think he had the acceleration or the burst we normally see from him. Yeah, I definitely had an affect."

"It's a factor anytime you play football, everybody has injuries," Forte said in the postgame locker room. "That's not an excuse as to why the running game struggled, or we had an unproductive season. But everybody has to deal with injuries."

Forte finished with 929 rushing yards and 471 receiving yards. Respectable numbers, but expect much better results in 2010 if Forte is able to stay healthy.

I so dont want to hear any excuses from Turner. If he hurt his MCL only an idiot would send a supposedly franchise back out on the field to risk a career ending injury. Then again we are talking about Turner.

I think you could go back to the 3rd or 4th week of the season. Many on this site predicted we would at some point here about how Forte was playing hurt.

It seems like that is a fairly common trend. After the season is over, players who didn't play up to expectations are said to have been playing all year hurt. I remember it all too well w/ Tait and Moose, as well as many others.

Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true, but saying they are healthy all year, only to say they were playing hurt all year when the season is over comes off a bit like, "dog eat my homework" excuse.