Next offensive coordinator? Meet the candidates

Pixote

I am on the Jeremy Bates bandwagon. He works well with Jay Cutler, has a history of success with him. Martz is a great mind and all, but his scheme is based on deep drops and waiting for receivers to run routes. Our line won't hold up for a Martz deep route system.

This is from the bleacher report from last year, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jeremy Bates fate in Denver, why the Broncos should be careful.

Honestly, not to sound like I want to give into the"petulant qb", but the next guy needs to be on the same page at Jay. 100%.

got this from Schefter's twitter

"Bears contact USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates about becoming their offensive coordinator. Bates worked in Denver with Jay Cutler. "

and

"Bears also could reach out to Univ. of Minn. OC Jedd Fisch, who also worked with Cutler in Denver. Bates and Fisch would make Cutler happy. "

I vote for Bates as well, his experience in working with Jay and knowing how to structure an offense around the talents of his players is huge. I think not only for the aspect of Jay but our backups as well. having Haine and Basenez under his tutelage could be a very positive thing he knows how to develop QB's. Jay is in his prime but if we can bring in a guy who could develop guys under Jay then that to me is key.

Having stepped back and let my blood pressure come back down a little. What's done is done, Lovie will be back next year. If we do bring in good OC and DC and the team can be successful. Which would mean Lovie would have to allow them to do what they do best. If that can happen would there be potential for long term success? Before I get flamed. Let me make it clear that I don't want Lovie here, and don't think the combination of Ted Phillips, Jerry Angelo, and Lovie is a good structure. But my last name isn't McCaskey so I have no say. Lovie needs to drop the stubborn arrogant attitude. Just because you didn't get canned doesn't mean it's a unanimous vote of confidence. If he learn to be flexible then there's a chance for long-term success, however, that is one big IF. Right now that's all we have as fans.

On Lovie and our structure, I generally agree. While few are fans of Lovie, Angie and Teddy (much less any w/ the last name McCaskey), this team did win the division (twice) and go to the SB when Lovie was first hired. No, I don't think Lovie was the biggest key in that equation, but at the same time, it does prove it possible. What I think those early years does show is the staff under Lovie are as important (or more) than Lovie himself.

On Bates, I have a very mixed attitude. I agree his ties w/ Cutler is a positive. Some talk about catering to your QB, but this franchise has put pretty much all their chips forward and bet on Cutler. If Cutler fails, this org will not even reach the level of mediocrity for a long time, and will likely be more like Detroit. So yes, when you bet big, it is logical to support that bet.

My problem w/ Bates however is his lack of experience actually running an offense. If we were talking about bringing him in as a QB coach, freaking fantastic. But while he was part of the offense in Denver, and is part of the offense at USC, he has never called the plays at either. What has been among out top complaints about Turner? Playcalling. Often fans say it can't get worse, but if we replace Turner with an OC who has never called plays before, it very well could get worse.

As I said, we put our bet on Cutler and need to support that bet, but I think we are doing a better job of support by adding an OC who has experience running an offense.

On the field, many talked about Bennett's relationship w/ Cutler. That was great and all, and it may well have helped Bennett's development, but did Bennett, or that relationship, really help Cutler? I think DA seemed to help Cutler far more, and those two had no relationship prior to Cutler joining the team.

I vote for Bates as well, his experience in working with Jay and knowing how to structure an offense around the talents of his players is huge. I think not only for the aspect of Jay but our backups as well. having Haine and Basenez under his tutelage could be a very positive thing he knows how to develop QB's. Jay is in his prime but if we can bring in a guy who could develop guys under Jay then that to me is key.

Having stepped back and let my blood pressure come back down a little. What's done is done, Lovie will be back next year. If we do bring in good OC and DC and the team can be successful. Which would mean Lovie would have to allow them to do what they do best. If that can happen would there be potential for long term success? Before I get flamed. Let me make it clear that I don't want Lovie here, and don't think the combination of Ted Phillips, Jerry Angelo, and Lovie is a good structure. But my last name isn't McCaskey so I have no say. Lovie needs to drop the stubborn arrogant attitude. Just because you didn't get canned doesn't mean it's a unanimous vote of confidence. If he learn to be flexible then there's a chance for long-term success, however, that is one big IF. Right now that's all we have as fans.

Nfo, I think you're right: Bates' inexperience is a little worrisome. I'm torn between pulling for Bates or for Weis: I like Bates' scheme but Weis has the track record. I assume Bates would bring something similar to the West Coast offense they ran in Denver, which Cutler's familiar with and which is at least a distant relative of the West Coast variant Turner's been running here. That'd probably be a very easy transition to make on offense. Weis, on the other hand, installed Erhardt-Perkins offenses in New York, New England and when he went to Notre Dame. It's a very, very effective offense, but the terminology and concepts are very different from what any of the Bears' players have used in the past (unless one of them played for Belichick or Bill Parcells.) There could be a serious learning curve with Weis coming in, and Lovie can't afford to wait on the offense to start winning. On the other hand, Weis has a great track record as an offensive coordinator, where Bates has none.

I guess it comes down to whether Lovie and Angelo think Bates can make the jump versus whether they think their players could learn Weis' system quickly. Either way, I hope to God they don't pick Mike Martz. His offensive system neglects the running game, gets quarterbacks hit a huge amount, and depends on extremely precise route-running from the receivers. It'd be a disaster in Chicago.

On Lovie and our structure, I generally agree. While few are fans of Lovie, Angie and Teddy (much less any w/ the last name McCaskey), this team did win the division (twice) and go to the SB when Lovie was first hired. No, I don't think Lovie was the biggest key in that equation, but at the same time, it does prove it possible. What I think those early years does show is the staff under Lovie are as important (or more) than Lovie himself.

On Bates, I have a very mixed attitude. I agree his ties w/ Cutler is a positive. Some talk about catering to your QB, but this franchise has put pretty much all their chips forward and bet on Cutler. If Cutler fails, this org will not even reach the level of mediocrity for a long time, and will likely be more like Detroit. So yes, when you bet big, it is logical to support that bet.

My problem w/ Bates however is his lack of experience actually running an offense. If we were talking about bringing him in as a QB coach, freaking fantastic. But while he was part of the offense in Denver, and is part of the offense at USC, he has never called the plays at either. What has been among out top complaints about Turner? Playcalling. Often fans say it can't get worse, but if we replace Turner with an OC who has never called plays before, it very well could get worse.

As I said, we put our bet on Cutler and need to support that bet, but I think we are doing a better job of support by adding an OC who has experience running an offense.

On the field, many talked about Bennett's relationship w/ Cutler. That was great and all, and it may well have helped Bennett's development, but did Bennett, or that relationship, really help Cutler? I think DA seemed to help Cutler far more, and those two had no relationship prior to Cutler joining the team.

I believe Bates called the plays in Denver his final year there. He just didn't have the title of OC.

Actually, Al Saunders is my top choice from the Trib's group, and I am not sure its even close. I thought he was awesome in KC. Hasn't found the same success since, but when you consider the issues in Wash and St.L, is there really any wonder?

Weis really worries the hell out of me. Weis made his name in NE, as did numerous coaches, but I just wonder how much of that success was Weis and how much was Bilichek and his system. Since Charlie left, another NE OC made it to a HC job, and it wasn't like there was some big dropoff in NE after Weis left. Also, like you said, how well does Weis fit Cutler, especially immediatly.

There is a question of Bates experience, as someone else said he called plays (despite not having the OC title) the final year in Denever. I would like to find a bit of proof of that. If possible, it goes a long way. I am curious though why, if he was the playcaller for a pretty high power offense, why was a QB coach in the college ranks the best he could find after Denver. Crap, John Freaking Shoop was able to stay in the NFL. I would think he could have gotten a QB coach job in the NFL, or an OC job in college, if he was held in such high regard. His release from Denver doesn't both me so much, but just how far he fell does a bit.

Nfo, I think you're right: Bates' inexperience is a little worrisome. I'm torn between pulling for Bates or for Weis: I like Bates' scheme but Weis has the track record. I assume Bates would bring something similar to the West Coast offense they ran in Denver, which Cutler's familiar with and which is at least a distant relative of the West Coast variant Turner's been running here. That'd probably be a very easy transition to make on offense. Weis, on the other hand, installed Erhardt-Perkins offenses in New York, New England and when he went to Notre Dame. It's a very, very effective offense, but the terminology and concepts are very different from what any of the Bears' players have used in the past (unless one of them played for Belichick or Bill Parcells.) There could be a serious learning curve with Weis coming in, and Lovie can't afford to wait on the offense to start winning. On the other hand, Weis has a great track record as an offensive coordinator, where Bates has none.

I guess it comes down to whether Lovie and Angelo think Bates can make the jump versus whether they think their players could learn Weis' system quickly. Either way, I hope to God they don't pick Mike Martz. His offensive system neglects the running game, gets quarterbacks hit a huge amount, and depends on extremely precise route-running from the receivers. It'd be a disaster in Chicago.

The Steelers will also take someone away from that list I feel. Our options may not be as plentiful as initially thought.

Actually, Al Saunders is my top choice from the Trib's group, and I am not sure its even close. I thought he was awesome in KC. Hasn't found the same success since, but when you consider the issues in Wash and St.L, is there really any wonder?

Weis really worries the hell out of me. Weis made his name in NE, as did numerous coaches, but I just wonder how much of that success was Weis and how much was Bilichek and his system. Since Charlie left, another NE OC made it to a HC job, and it wasn't like there was some big dropoff in NE after Weis left. Also, like you said, how well does Weis fit Cutler, especially immediatly.

There is a question of Bates experience, as someone else said he called plays (despite not having the OC title) the final year in Denever. I would like to find a bit of proof of that. If possible, it goes a long way. I am curious though why, if he was the playcaller for a pretty high power offense, why was a QB coach in the college ranks the best he could find after Denver. Crap, John Freaking Shoop was able to stay in the NFL. I would think he could have gotten a QB coach job in the NFL, or an OC job in college, if he was held in such high regard. His release from Denver doesn't both me so much, but just how far he fell does a bit.

Yeah, a lot of defensive coaches like Mangini haven't looked as good when they weren't working with Belichick. But Belichick's offensive guys, like McDaniels, have more autonomy. And while there wasn't a big dropoff in the Pats' offense after Weis left, you can also look at what Weis did when he wasn't working under Belichick, and the results are pretty good. Weis' Jets were the #4 offense in 1998, when Belichick was only coaching the defense. They went 12-4 in the regular season and went all the way to the AFC championship.

If Bates was calling plays in Denver, that'd be pretty good. I'd also want to know why he didn't land somewhere in the NFL, but it could just be that no one was looking for a QBs coach when Shanahan and his staff got canned.

Steelers have not fired their OC yet, and if they do, he would leap to the top of my list. I can't understand for the life of me why he is the potential scape goat for that team. Pitt's offense was pretty damn good this year. Rothlisberger was breaking franchise records for passing, and their young RB who had shown more signs of being a bust than not developed into a very strong player. And they did all this with a weak OL. I think Pitt fans don't like that their run oriented identity was messed with, but I would have no problem adding an OC that could make our passing attack similar to Pitt's.

The Steelers will also take someone away from that list I feel. Our options may not be as plentiful as initially thought.

Yeah, a lot of defensive coaches like Mangini haven't looked as good when they weren't working with Belichick. But Belichick's offensive guys, like McDaniels, have more autonomy. And while there wasn't a big dropoff in the Pats' offense after Weis left, you can also look at what Weis did when he wasn't working under Belichick, and the results are pretty good. Weis' Jets were the #4 offense in 1998, when Belichick was only coaching the defense. They went 12-4 in the regular season and went all the way to the AFC championship.

Still not totally sold. Maybe, as a ND fan, I am biased as he didn't live up to the hype in S.Bend. I think he could be a quality OC, but am simply not 100%. While I realize Bilicheck is a defensive guy, at the same time, that offense didn't seem to lose a beat when he left, which has to put into question how much of that teams offense was due to his coaching. Through what, 3 OCs, that team's offense continues to shine, which just makes me question how much any one OC should get high praise. Understand, it isn't that I am against the idea of Weis. I am simply not totally sold on it.

If Bates was calling plays in Denver, that'd be pretty good. I'd also want to know why he didn't land somewhere in the NFL, but it could just be that no one was looking for a QBs coach when Shanahan and his staff got canned.

I don't know. When Shanny and his staff was let go, I think that year MANY other teams also let their staff go. There were openings, both as QB coach and OC, but he didn't get any. Even this year, have you heard of any team other than us, talking about Bates? Heck, if it wasn't for Cutler, would we be talking about him? It isn't that I have a problem adding a coach who has a relationship w/ Cutler, but more that that relationship seems to be the only reason he would even be considered.

I must be ahead of myself., I thought Arians was fired... My bad if he has yet to be.

I'd like him too.

Steelers have not fired their OC yet, and if they do, he would leap to the top of my list. I can't understand for the life of me why he is the potential scape goat for that team. Pitt's offense was pretty damn good this year. Rothlisberger was breaking franchise records for passing, and their young RB who had shown more signs of being a bust than not developed into a very strong player. And they did all this with a weak OL. I think Pitt fans don't like that their run oriented identity was messed with, but I would have no problem adding an OC that could make our passing attack similar to Pitt's.

Someone reported yesterday he was going to be fired, and gave the impression it would happen yesterday, but it didn't. He may still be fired, but as of today, it has not come to pass yet.

I must be ahead of myself., I thought Arians was fired... My bad if he has yet to be.

I'd like him too.

Ha! The Sweatty Teddy shot actually looked a tad like Joaquin Phoenix shaved with a bad haircut to me!

I hear ya... I'm venting like no tomorrow!

Thanks, for some reason the picture I took Ted's face from made me instantly think of Man on the Moon "Here I come to save the day" Andy Kaufman.

Threw the pic together as a coping mechanism.

So no Weis:

Sources: Weis accepts job with Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Charlie Weis has agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, according to team and league sources.

Weis could be named to the position within the next 24 to 48 hours, the sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802526