Fewell to accept DC position

GakMan23

Bears | Fewell likely will accept DC job

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:23:56 -0800

ESPN.com reports former Buffalo Bills interim head coach Perry Fewell has decided to accept the Chicago Bears defensive coordinator position when it is offered to him, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Zimmer was beyond a long shot to begin with. If it is true that NY was interested in Fewell too, we could have been in a situation of passing on a pretty good guy for the long shot chance at another. Not worth it.

Zimmer is going to have a number of teams offer him DC positions, not to mention potentially HC interviews. In Chicago, we have a lame duck HC, GM and Prez. An aging defense and a scheme the HC is going to force feed. Frankly, it isn't a situation where I would expect a top tier candidate to find attractive.

There are others in the league who would have been more exciting, but when you sit back and consider the situation, I think Fewell looks like a pretty solid candidate.

I was hoping they'd atleast consider Mike Zimmer (The D Coord at Cincinnati) but this guy is one of Lovie's buddies from a few years back and he runs a pretty good Cover 2.

This is great news I think. When he was here he was the DB coach and that just happend to be the last time our DB's were any good. Hopefully he will be able to get the most out of our young group of DB's and hope that Marinelli will be able to get something out of the DLINE now that they will have a year under there belts being with him.

Guest TerraTor
This is great news I think. When he was here he was the DB coach and that just happend to be the last time our DB's were any good. Hopefully he will be able to get the most out of our young group of DB's and hope that Marinelli will be able to get something out of the DLINE now that they will have a year under there belts being with him.

Oh good. Lets get new coaches to run the old system which hasnt worked since 2006

Im wondering who we get at OC. Im guessing Martz, since he was a ram coach and should fit right in with a group of recent losers

I agree, Fewell will be a breath of fresh air. He is vocal and animated. He holds his players accountable. He has a reputation of being a good teacher of technique. He took a 2nd round selection rookie (J Byrd) and turned him into one of the better safeties in the league. Buffalo had an excellent Pass Defense. Their pass defense was 2nd in the NFL behind only NYJ. I think he did well as an interim HC considering what he had to work with. What was it, 17 players on IR? I am surprised the Bills do not give him a shot next year running as HC.

Of course he is one of Lovie's buddies and if I am to believe many on this forum that means this guy will totally suck.

I agree, Fewell will be a breath of fresh air. He is vocal and animated. He holds his players accountable. He has a reputation of being a good teacher of technique. He took a 2nd round selection rookie (J Byrd) and turned him into one of the better safeties in the league. Buffalo had an excellent Pass Defense. Their pass defense was 2nd in the NFL behind only NYJ. I think he did well as an interim HC considering what he had to work with. What was it, 17 players on IR? I am surprised the Bills do not give him a shot next year running as HC.

Of course he is one of Lovie's buddies and if I am to believe many on this forum that means this guy will totally suck.

And yet they were in the bottom half of total yards given up. The Bills were bad this year and teams didn't need to throw on them. They were 3rd to last in rushing defense.

If there wasn't the connection to Lovie and the Bears would this guys name mentioned? Has anyone the last 4 years thought, damn that Bills team has a good defense.

And yet they were in the bottom half of total yards given up. The Bills were bad this year and teams didn't need to throw on them. They were 3rd to last in rushing defense.

If there wasn't the connection to Lovie and the Bears would this guys name mentioned? Has anyone the last 4 years thought, damn that Bills team has a good defense.

He must be doing something right for his name is being mentioned everywhere or do you think it is just because he is african american and to satisfy the rooney rule. If we listen to some posters on here we would be trading/cutting at least half of this team. We should fire every single coach on this staff. Every body in management should die(since they won't relinquish control of team).

Please tell me if I forgot anything here. After a loss I swear if I come on here we are the worst team in the league and we would be lucky to beat a High School team. But yet, come here after a win and there are usualy mixed results at least. After all this time on this board I never thought I would agree with NFO so often.

He must be doing something right for his name is being mentioned everywhere or do you think it is just because he is african american and to satisfy the rooney rule. If we listen to some posters on here we would be trading/cutting at least half of this team. We should fire every single coach on this staff. Every body in management should die(since they won't relinquish control of team).

Please tell me if I forgot anything here. After a loss I swear if I come on here we are the worst team in the league and we would be lucky to beat a High School team. But yet, come here after a win and there are usualy mixed results at least. After all this time on this board I never thought I would agree with NFO so often.

You mention the Rooney rule, but I believe that only applies to head coaches. As far as I know, he's only a popular DC candidate, not a head coach candidate. (With the exception of Buffalo.) That means he's legit.

Although his anxiousness to join the Bears indicate the Giants aren't really an option.

Reguardless, assuming we hire him, on paper we have a very good defensive staff. We can't be accused of going cheap.

You mention the Rooney rule, but I believe that only applies to head coaches. As far as I know, he's only a popular DC candidate, not a head coach candidate. (With the exception of Buffalo.) That means he's legit.

Although his anxiousness to join the Bears indicate the Giants aren't really an option.

Reguardless, assuming we hire him, on paper we have a very good defensive staff. We can't be accused of going cheap.

I actually looked that up last night. The Rooney Rule just applies to to Head Coaches and possibly executives. I'm not sure, but it definitely doesn't apply to coordinators. I was trying to figure out why NYG would be looking at him also. :dabears

Come on twig, you know we have some of the best NFL minds in the world on here. I dont know why they dont put in for the coordinator jobs themselves.

Come on twig, you know we have some of the best NFL minds in the world on here. I dont know why they dont put in for the coordinator jobs themselves.

Just because people don't support mediocrity, financial decisions dictating who plays and coaches, and don't buy int the company line doesn't mean anyone thinks they are a great NFL mind.

Are we supposed to support the hype of a DC whose team let up more yards a game then the Bears? If his name wasn't associated with Lovie's would he be hyped so much at the moment? We are talking about a coach from the friggin Bills.

Are we supposed to support a QB coach that's never had more then play calling duties? He's never been in charge of a whole offensse, yet on this team he would basically be total control of a young developing offense. He'd be the offensive "head coach" basically. Would his name even be mentioned for the Bears OC job, yet alone front runner, if he wasn't butt buddies with Jay Cutler.

This team hasn't made the play offs in 3 years. This year they looked just awful. Is it so wrong to be skeptical of the decisions this staff is making and canidates the like now?

Do I have to like giving up a 2nd for Gaines Adams?

I mean seriously, does it really come off as people thinking they are great NFL minds when they question mediocrity and hope for better for the team?

Does not being a sheep=know-it-all?

I, for one, don't like the fact that everyone on the D coaching staff side has to first pass the Lovie connection test. "Fresh air" would be a coach with a different perspective and one that didn't need to be old pals with the HC, but a damn fine defensive coach. I'm hoping Fewell does give us some spark, but I'm leary of all the Lovie nepotism that operates on the defensive side of the ball.

I, for one, don't like the fact that everyone on the D coaching staff side has to first pass the Lovie connection test. "Fresh air" would be a coach with a different perspective and one that didn't need to be old pals with the HC, but a damn fine defensive coach. I'm hoping Fewell does give us some spark, but I'm leary of all the Lovie nepotism that operates on the defensive side of the ball.

Which is why in reality we could hire Pinocchio with delusions of being a real coach and it would be the same result. We will only bring in a guy who has ties to Lovie and will blindly run his crappy system. I'd like to be wrong but I have a feeling all we're doing is hiring a puppet. Now if Fewell is allowed to run a variation of the cover 0 like Ron did then we may see improvement. Otherwise same crap only the names are changed to protect those who are truly to blame.

Trying to figure out why NY was looking at him? I think they fired their DC, and Fewell has ties w/ their HC.

I actually looked that up last night. The Rooney Rule just applies to to Head Coaches and possibly executives. I'm not sure, but it definitely doesn't apply to coordinators. I was trying to figure out why NYG would be looking at him also. :dabears

I agree it is annoying, but at the same time, I think it is also basically the way it is done, Lovie or not. Whenever you hear about this coach or that being hired, you also hear about their looking at bringing along this guy or that who they know. Its pretty normal I think.

While it is also normal to want a coach of similar scheme thinking, I think Lovie just goes a bit too far, and is a bit too narrow of mind in who he is willing to look at.

Just because people don't support mediocrity, financial decisions dictating who plays and coaches, and don't buy int the company line doesn't mean anyone thinks they are a great NFL mind.

Are we supposed to support the hype of a DC whose team let up more yards a game then the Bears? If his name wasn't associated with Lovie's would he be hyped so much at the moment? We are talking about a coach from the friggin Bills.

Are we supposed to support a QB coach that's never had more then play calling duties? He's never been in charge of a whole offensse, yet on this team he would basically be total control of a young developing offense. He'd be the offensive "head coach" basically. Would his name even be mentioned for the Bears OC job, yet alone front runner, if he wasn't butt buddies with Jay Cutler.

This team hasn't made the play offs in 3 years. This year they looked just awful. Is it so wrong to be skeptical of the decisions this staff is making and canidates the like now?

Do I have to like giving up a 2nd for Gaines Adams?

I mean seriously, does it really come off as people thinking they are great NFL minds when they question mediocrity and hope for better for the team?

Does not being a sheep=know-it-all?

Just a joke buddy.

Its a joke, but also an argument you so often make.

I saw in another thread you do not want Martz, and agreed w/ me his playcalling would get Cutler killed. But I have to ask. Martz is an NFL level coach. By previous arguments, doesn't that mean you are not qualified to question his playcalling?

Just a joke buddy.

Its a joke, but also an argument you so often make.

I saw in another thread you do not want Martz, and agreed w/ me his playcalling would get Cutler killed. But I have to ask. Martz is an NFL level coach. By previous arguments, doesn't that mean you are not qualified to question his playcalling?

Yep. I also dont pretend that I know more than these guys.

I just think Martz will get Cutler killed. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. We shall soon see.....

The Tribune is denying this report. Fewell will choose between the Bears and Giants and to be honest, I don't really understand why in the hell he would pick the Bears over the Giants.

The Giants were decimated with injuries but are just a year removed from having a pretty damn good defense and the coaching staff is on much more solid ground there.

I'll be thrilled if we get him, but I have my doubts. I really want Clements as our OC.

Why do you want Clements? It isn't that I am against him, but don't know why I should be for him. Yes, he seems to have done a great job developing Rodgers, and deserves credit for that. But he didn't actually run the offense, did he? Does he even have experience in that area?

The reality is, whoever our OC is will essentially be a HC #2. We need someone who has broad experience running an offense. Not just developing a QB, but experience over all positions, game planning, playcalling, etc. Is that Clements?

The Tribune is denying this report. Fewell will choose between the Bears and Giants and to be honest, I don't really understand why in the hell he would pick the Bears over the Giants.

The Giants were decimated with injuries but are just a year removed from having a pretty damn good defense and the coaching staff is on much more solid ground there.

I'll be thrilled if we get him, but I have my doubts. I really want Clements as our OC.

Why do you want Clements? It isn't that I am against him, but don't know why I should be for him. Yes, he seems to have done a great job developing Rodgers, and deserves credit for that. But he didn't actually run the offense, did he? Does he even have experience in that area?

The reality is, whoever our OC is will essentially be a HC #2. We need someone who has broad experience running an offense. Not just developing a QB, but experience over all positions, game planning, playcalling, etc. Is that Clements?

An exert from his bio on the Packer's site:

Before coming to Green Bay, Clements spent two seasons (2004-05) as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills. In 2004, the Bills' offense increased its points output by 152 and became only the ninth team in NFL history to score more than 30 points in six straight games. In addition, Buffalo reduced its number of sacks allowed from 51 to 38, fewest by a Bills team since 1999.

On an individual level, Clements' offense was highlighted by RB Willis McGahee, who became the fifth running back in Bills history to register back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, covering each year of Clements' tenure. In addition, quarterback Kelly Holcomb set a club record in 2005 with a 67.39 completion percentage, surpassing Jim Kelly's 1991 mark, 64.14 percent.