Colts - Manning

San Diego - Rivers

Jets - Sanchez (meh meh)

If you want to add round one losers:

Eagles - McNabb

Green Bay - Rogers

New England - Brady

Bengals - Palmer

Quite simply the odds are that if you have one of the better QBs you will make the playoffs. It's not always true and you usually have some elite defense in the mix too (Jets this year). We've had threads on this topic before but despite how we finished this season I still feel it was worth it to have a young talented QB on our team.

Only Roethlisberger and Schaub were in the top 10 in QB rating and didn't make the playoffs, and both finished at 9-7.

Your absolutely right. Alot of people just look at his INT's and stop there but if you look at his entire body of work although it may have been a bad season he did enough things that give us alot of hope. Him throwing 27 TD's was amazing. I asked all of my friends how many TD's that they thought he threw and everyone except 1 person guessed under 20. The 1 person who guessed it knows his stats extremely well. We also saw towards the end of the year that they oline played better but outside of that we saw the WR's get better and not make so many mistakes like they did at the beginning of the year. Hopefully we can take this momentum into next season. I love the fact that the Bears are being smart and interviewing alot of candidates and also having Cutler sit down with them as well.

Your absolutely right. Alot of people just look at his INT's and stop there but if you look at his entire body of work although it may have been a bad season he did enough things that give us alot of hope. Him throwing 27 TD's was amazing. I asked all of my friends how many TD's that they thought he threw and everyone except 1 person guessed under 20. The 1 person who guessed it knows his stats extremely well. We also saw towards the end of the year that they oline played better but outside of that we saw the WR's get better and not make so many mistakes like they did at the beginning of the year. Hopefully we can take this momentum into next season. I love the fact that the Bears are being smart and interviewing alot of candidates and also having Cutler sit down with them as well.

All we need is an OC with some balls to make the right play calls. Stop this maddness. Use that WR screen that both the Cowboys and Eagles use against each other in the playoff game, the same one the Bengals used against us. He needs to use Cutler and the bootleg to the TE more. Also misdirection screens work well to.

I love the fact that the Bears are being smart and interviewing alot of candidates and also having Cutler sit down with them as well.

here is the problem i have with this...

at this time of year if you snooze you lose. if you drag your feet or are uncertain in the direction you are going you can miss the best candidates to fill your vacancies. this compounds the problems filling assistant coaching positions as when new OC's or DC's come in quickly, they have a larger pool to choose from for the coaches under them.

this again brings up the concept of good management not only in your GM but the president in charge of football operations. these people should have a list of every candidate from gm to waterboy and whether employed in pro, semi-pro, or college ranks and how each ranks in quality and availability. so when vacancies happen you can jump on them before the competition does.

take holmgren for instance. he comes in and hires a gm and talks to his coaches and determines whether to keep them or not within a very short period of time. yet we still are determining who to bring in even for interviews and for whatever reason are consulting our qb on who it should be.

He's also #2 on the Bears' all-time list for single-season passing yards and #3 for passing touchdowns. And that was in a season that almost everyone regarded as a disappointment for Cutler. If we get a good coach to run the offense and the line/receivers play the way they were at the end of the season, Cutler could rewrite the Bears' record books. If Cutler plays the way he's capable of (let's say around 4000 yards a season,) he could easily pass McMahon and Harbaugh in 2 more seasons, and break Sid Luckman's all-time record the year after that. He could potentially have the franchise record for passing yardage by the time he's 30. That's pretty remarkable.

here is the problem i have with this...

at this time of year if you snooze you lose. if you drag your feet or are uncertain in the direction you are going you can miss the best candidates to fill your vacancies. this compounds the problems filling assistant coaching positions as when new OC's or DC's come in quickly, they have a larger pool to choose from for the coaches under them.

this again brings up the concept of good management not only in your GM but the president in charge of football operations. these people should have a list of every candidate from gm to waterboy and whether employed in pro, semi-pro, or college ranks and how each ranks in quality and availability. so when vacancies happen you can jump on them before the competition does.

take holmgren for instance. he comes in and hires a gm and talks to his coaches and determines whether to keep them or not within a very short period of time. yet we still are determining who to bring in even for interviews and for whatever reason are consulting our qb on who it should be.

This is a different year because there are only a couple of teams looking for coordinators unlike in past years where you had 5 or 6 teams a coach could choose from.

This is a different year because there are only a couple of teams looking for coordinators unlike in past years where you had 5 or 6 teams a coach could choose from.

well, if we had contacted bates or fewell and given them the nod the day after the season ended would we be still looking?

BTW.. not saying i endorse either of these coaches. just saying if the bears seriously had them on the radar screen they are gone for consideration 'probably' because of timing or the lack there of.

well, if we had contacted bates or fewell and given them the nod the day after the season ended would we be still looking?

BTW.. not saying i endorse either of these coaches. just saying if the bears seriously had them on the radar screen they are gone for consideration 'probably' because of timing or the lack there of.

I don't think timing's the issue with Fewell...the Bears made him an offer at least as early as the Giants did. I think he's just doing exactly what Bates did...going to a team where the head coach isn't likely to be fired in a year. Whoever we can con into taking a coordinator job here, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't think timing's the issue with Fewell...the Bears made him an offer at least as early as the Giants did. I think he's just doing exactly what Bates did...going to a team where the head coach isn't likely to be fired in a year. Whoever we can con into taking a coordinator job here, it's not going to be pretty.

maybe you're right? who knows. but the season has been over since january 3rd. we bring him in for an interview a full week after the season ended. did they even offer him a contract last monday?

Could this be more evidence of Smith monolithic ego?

Thinking Fewell was such a "pal", that he'd just take the job?

This is turning into a comedy fast. I'm getting visions of the McGuinness fiasco!

maybe you're right? who knows. but the season has been over since january 3rd. we bring him in for an interview a full week after the season ended. did they even offer him a contract last monday?

Could this be more evidence of Smith monolithic ego?

Thinking Fewell was such a "pal", that he'd just take the job?

This is turning into a comedy fast. I'm getting visions of the McGuinness fiasco!

if we did offer him a contract was it for as much money or length as the giants? this again goes to the problems of not firing this entire staff and instead holding the sword of damacles over their heads for next season.

to get quality coordinators we will have to really either throw out the cash to bring them in or go for dark horse candidates. a lose/lose situation from our upper management.

As you infer...it's simply the result of a poor management decision to retain the morons in charge.

I don't want to use the term "stooges" because I love the real Three Stooges and the band The Stooges too much to link the clowns running the Bears to those artistic greats.

if we did offer him a contract was it for as much money or length as the giants? this again goes to the problems of not firing this entire staff and instead holding the sword of damacles over their heads for next season.

to get quality coordinators we will have to really either throw out the cash to bring them in or go for dark horse candidates. a lose/lose situation from our upper management.

Cutler is also the reason that no matter who our Head Coach is that our OC job will be enticing.

Everyone is criticizing the Bears for taking there time and making sure we get the right guy. So does everyone hope that we just jumped in immediately and rushed into all of this. I guarantee if we would have rushed into this decision everyone would complain then also. There is just no winning is there.

Everyone is criticizing the Bears for taking there time and making sure we get the right guy. So does everyone hope that we just jumped in immediately and rushed into all of this. I guarantee if we would have rushed into this decision everyone would complain then also. There is just no winning is there.

Two teams have hired OC's that I know of. The Chiefs (who are pretty much another version of New England's coaching personel) and the Seahawks (and that OC followed his head coach there).

So I really don't have an issue with the way the Bears are going about this. On the defensive side it is different because we apparently targeted a guy and might lose out to him despite the fact that it was widely believed he had a preference for Chicago.