Cutler interviewing the candidates

madlithuanian

Cutler meeting with offensive coordinator candidates

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 15, 2010 11:15 AM ET

With Pete Carroll involved in G.M. interviews, it's fair to wonder if he's the one voice that matters in Seattle.

A similar dynamic may be playing out in Chicago, but the voice belongs to a player.

Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo confirmed that Jay Cutler is a key part of the interview process as the Bears search for an offensive coordinator.

"We've involved Jay, and we'd like to have him meet with [all] the candidates," Angelo said. "He understands the whole process, and he knows we want him involved. This is not the first time we've involved a player. This isn't new to us."

Cutler flew in town to meet with Ken Zampese and is expected to offer his thoughts on other candidates. Cutler was reportedly disappointed the team couldn't snare his old coach Jeremy Bates.

We've got mixed feelings here. The ability to work with Cutler and play to his strengths is one of the biggest components of the Bears job.

But if Cutler truly has sway in who gets the gig, it sounds like the inmates are running the asylum

But if Cutler truly has sway in who gets the gig, it sounds like the inmates are running the asylum

I disagree. Cutler is the key on offense, and we want/need an OC that works well w/ Cutler, both in terms of relationship and scheme. To me, it is not unusual for Cutler to offer input into the decision. That doesn't mean Cutler makes the decision, but I have no issue involving him in the process.

My wife is an attorney, and when they would look to hire a new attorney, those candidates would not only interview w/ the head partners, but also have sit downs w/ the other attorneys in the office. The main partner wanted their input as office chemistry was/is important. Even if a person was qualified, he didn't want to hire someone who's personality conflicted w/ the office, thus leading to poor office chemistry. That doesn't mean the staff's decision/opinion was final, but it was a factor, and I think this is a good way to interview.

Cutler meeting with offensive coordinator candidates

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 15, 2010 11:15 AM ET

With Pete Carroll involved in G.M. interviews, it's fair to wonder if he's the one voice that matters in Seattle.

A similar dynamic may be playing out in Chicago, but the voice belongs to a player.

Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo confirmed that Jay Cutler is a key part of the interview process as the Bears search for an offensive coordinator.

"We've involved Jay, and we'd like to have him meet with [all] the candidates," Angelo said. "He understands the whole process, and he knows we want him involved. This is not the first time we've involved a player. This isn't new to us."

Cutler flew in town to meet with Ken Zampese and is expected to offer his thoughts on other candidates. Cutler was reportedly disappointed the team couldn't snare his old coach Jeremy Bates.

We've got mixed feelings here. The ability to work with Cutler and play to his strengths is one of the biggest components of the Bears job.

I disagree. Cutler is the key on offense, and we want/need an OC that works well w/ Cutler, both in terms of relationship and scheme. To me, it is not unusual for Cutler to offer input into the decision. That doesn't mean Cutler makes the decision, but I have no issue involving him in the process.

I love the idea that they are asking Cutler to sit down with the candidates and offer his take. He didn't get along with Turner and Hamilton and we saw 1st hand what happened last year. Cutler is our future weather people like it or not so why not involve him in the decisioning process.

exactly. what organization that isn't on it's way to oz to look for a brain really lets a 4th year qb have any major input for their offensive coordinator jobs?

is there any limit to the stupidity and complete incompetence the upper echelon of this franchise displays to the rest of the world?

exactly. what organization that isn't on it's way to oz to look for a brain really lets a 4th year QB have any major input for their offensive coordinator jobs?

is there any limit to the stupidity and complete incompetence the upper echelon of this franchise displays to the rest of the world?

I think it is a smart idea myself. It is scary IMHO for us to be changing OC position with a QB which is arguably the future of this franchise. I think it is imperative he is comfortable with the system the new OC brings in. I do not want to see a radical change in systems. I want to see something in the West Coast variety, a system Cutler is accustomed to. The problem was not in the system that we were using but the way it was being implemented by Turner. I am sure he is being asked for his opinions but I am also sure he does not have the final say by any means.

I do not think there is anything this Bears organization can do that will not be criticized and ridiculed. There are beat reporters and web sites that are flat out saying they hope the Bears do not win one single game next year to force a complete reorganization. That makes me sick and totally pissed off.

Instead of hoping the Bears go winless next year, I hope with the changes being made the bears go 19-0, all the way to the Super Bowl, and prove that this organization made the right choices. It will spoil all the fun for those wanting to say "I told you so" but I would certainly enjoy it a lot better than the alternative.

I think it is a smart idea myself. It is scary IMHO for us to be changing OC position with a QB which is arguably the future of this franchise. I think it is imperative he is comfortable with the system the new OC brings in. I do not want to see a radical change in systems. I want to see something in the West Coast variety, a system Cutler is accustomed to. The problem was not in the system that we were using but the way it was being implemented by Turner. I am sure he is being asked for his opinions but I am also sure he does not have the final say by any means.

I do not think there is anything this Bears organization can do that will not be criticized and ridiculed. There are beat reporters and web sites that are flat out saying they hope the Bears do not win one single game next year to force a complete reorganization. That makes me sick and totally pissed off.

Instead of hoping the Bears go winless next year, I hope with the changes being made the bears go 19-0, all the way to the Super Bowl, and prove that this organization made the right choices. It will spoil all the fun for those wanting to say "I told you so" but I would certainly enjoy it a lot better than the alternative.

if anyone in charge, including coaches, gm, and president of this franchise really understands what they are doing shouldn't they know what they are looking for? in my opinion we don't need yes men for cutler to grow as a qb in the nfl. just someone who is smarter than he is and understands how to get the most out of his players on and off the field.

as far as wishing ill on our season or employees... i hope you are not inferring that i am in that category of "i told you so" as being more important than the REAL long term health of this club no matter who is running it. i have voiced my displeasure involving the management and truly believe we are seriously lacking good competent people in charge but i don't wish to lose to prove that i am right and they are wrong. it will come out in the final results of what is done or not done. but so far i don't see their side winning anything past or present. even this small point.

if anyone in charge, including coaches, gm, and president of this franchise really understands what they are doing shouldn't they know what they are looking for? in my opinion we don't need yes men for cutler to grow as a qb in the nfl. just someone who is smarter than he is and understands how to get the most out of his players on and off the field.

as far as wishing ill on our season or employees... i hope you are not inferring that i am in that category of "i told you so" as being more important than the REAL long term health of this club no matter who is running it. i have voiced my displeasure involving the management and truly believe we are seriously lacking good competent people in charge but i don't wish to lose to prove that i am right and they are wrong. it will come out in the final results of what is done or not done. but so far i don't see their side winning anything past or present. even this small point.

How about Dan McNeil in particular. He had an article in the Tribune basically just saying what Pix just said. He said:

"My hope: History repeats inself, Smith hires Yes Man, the Bears do not bust .500 and a complete makeover takes place"

"My Fear: Lovie Smith's inability to secure his top choices(Jeremy Bates to the Seahawks, Perry Fewell to the Giants) as wing men means he settles for guys who actually wind up being more productive and, GULP save Smith's neck."

This is what makes me sick. Alot of people hoping that we fail so miserably that we do a complete makeover. People hoping ill on Virginia and the rest of the McCaskey family just so new owners can come in and run this time. I am not pointing out anyone in particular as I don't want to point fingers but this is some of the things that I have heard in the past 2 months. The way I feel is if your rooting for the Beloved to lose how about that person stop cheering for the Bears overall and go onto another team to cheer for.

I can understand the thinking. The belief is the team will never reach the levels we all want w/ the current admin, and thus you sort of find yourself hoping for bad to happen in order for good. One step back in order to take two steps forward. That sort of thing.

At the end of the season, I cheered hard and loud to beat Minny and Det. I just can not watch a game w/o hoping for the best. At the same time, there was a part of me that sort of didn't like doing well, as I knew it likely meant keeping Lovie around.

I understand the logic, but often disagree w/ the length some go, like when some fans say they wish Virginia would just die.

How about Dan McNeil in particular. He had an article in the Tribune basically just saying what Pix just said. He said:

"My hope: History repeats inself, Smith hires Yes Man, the Bears do not bust .500 and a complete makeover takes place"

"My Fear: Lovie Smith's inability to secure his top choices(Jeremy Bates to the Seahawks, Perry Fewell to the Giants) as wing men means he settles for guys who actually wind up being more productive and, GULP save Smith's neck."

This is what makes me sick. Alot of people hoping that we fail so miserably that we do a complete makeover. People hoping ill on Virginia and the rest of the McCaskey family just so new owners can come in and run this time. I am not pointing out anyone in particular as I don't want to point fingers but this is some of the things that I have heard in the past 2 months. The way I feel is if your rooting for the Beloved to lose how about that person stop cheering for the Bears overall and go onto another team to cheer for.

Vey well put, nfo...

Those that dislike the situation can easily expound so without taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

I can understand the thinking. The belief is the team will never reach the levels we all want w/ the current admin, and thus you sort of find yourself hoping for bad to happen in order for good. One step back in order to take two steps forward. That sort of thing.

At the end of the season, I cheered hard and loud to beat Minny and Det. I just can not watch a game w/o hoping for the best. At the same time, there was a part of me that sort of didn't like doing well, as I knew it likely meant keeping Lovie around.

I understand the logic, but often disagree w/ the length some go, like when some fans say they wish Virginia would just die.

Your different because you want change in the admin however the bottom line is that you and I will always cheer for the Beloved.

I remember '97 and '98 (unfortunately).

We sucked. I could not stand Wanny, and wanted massive changes. In my head, I knew we needed to lose in order to improve. But when it was game time, there was no part of me that did cheered for anything but positive play by the bears.

I remember we won a couple games at the end of '97. I think we also won a game, maybe 2nd to last, in '98. No good came from those wins. They knocked us out of the top spots of the draft. At least in '97, they hurt our chances at organizational changes. Logically, losing was simply the best course.

Yet everytime the games began, I cheered loudly for the bears and at no point in time did I want anything but a win.

Your different because you want change in the admin however the bottom line is that you and I will always cheer for the Beloved.

I hear you.

There have been games going up to it, I was prepared to want a loss...but once the game begins, instinct takes over! My head can go into a game thinking just about anything, but my heart is always destined to root for the Bears regardless. Thusly, why I was so pissed off this year!

I remember '97 and '98 (unfortunately).

We sucked. I could not stand Wanny, and wanted massive changes. In my head, I knew we needed to lose in order to improve. But when it was game time, there was no part of me that did cheered for anything but positive play by the bears.

I remember we won a couple games at the end of '97. I think we also won a game, maybe 2nd to last, in '98. No good came from those wins. They knocked us out of the top spots of the draft. At least in '97, they hurt our chances at organizational changes. Logically, losing was simply the best course.

Yet everytime the games began, I cheered loudly for the bears and at no point in time did I want anything but a win.

McNeil is a tool. Don't listen to a word he says.

Peace :dabears

Another loser in my book is Steve Rosenbloom of the Tribune. In an article speculating on Lovie going to UT (never happen IMO) he ends his article with these words of wisdom??? which I also read in several previous articles he has written, so this is not the first time he has offered this opinion:

You can hope the Bears lose every game next season to ensure Smith’s exit. But that would take a year. Suddenly, a clown such as Kiffin has created a wonderful possibility for Bears fans to be rid of the coach a lot sooner.

Good, ole, Rocky Top . . .

Helluva a good point. It's important to remember this is entertainment and escape. The fact that we have original ownership is one of the things that makes this franchise unique. Not to mention, why would anyone subject themselves to rooting for the Bears to lose because you hate Lovie or the owners? That's not healthy.

On that note, I promised a Cowboy fan co-worker I'd get a Dallas Star tatoo on my entire back if:

1) Farve has his spleen ruptured during the game

2) Farve suffers a Lawrence Taylor on Joe Theisman type injury

3) Farve suffers a Dick Butkus on Charles Hughes type injury

(See, wishing for bad things is just sick, wrong and unhealthy :rolleyes: )

Big difference between thinking we'll still be losing by keeping Lovie around and wanting to lose because he's around. I have no problem if Lovie takes us to the Superbowl next year and I was one of the proponents of firing him.

I'll say this about the Bears: we have returned to the organization that put us into the Superbowl. Angelo built that team (I know some players were around from prior years) and staff. It was Angelo that hired Rivera, not Lovie. It was Angelo that hired Shea but it was Angelo that fired him and then worked to bring in Turner. I know Lovie had input into all those decisions as well but I believe Angelo had final approval on them. Then we won the Superbowl and Lovie got himself some personnel authority and this team went downhill, fast. Personnel decisions as well as coaching decisions haven't worked well for the last few years.

I know there are all sorts of variables that went into this as well including player injuries so don't mistake my statements as a vote of confidence in JA because I have my doubts. I'm just stating that from an organizational standpoint we have gone back to what built the NFC Championship team and that had JA giving final approval to all personnel decisions related to the football team. The hiring of Tice as Oline coach tells me we're back to that because in no way do I think Lovie would step on the toes of his new OC by forcing him to work with someone he didn't hire but we all know JA has done that in the past.

I think trying to revamp coordinators with a coach on a one-year hotseat is a big gamble by the Bears. I hope it works but I'm not very confident it will.

As far as Cutler having some input on who he works with: When we gave up all those picks for him we made him the centerpiece of the team. There is no point in hiring an OC, or a scheme, he is not comfortable with. At my job we involve our supervisors when we interview to fill a supervisor position and the supervisors know they aren't making the final decision. I think it's the right move having him involved in the process but nobody should think he's making the decision. I guarantee you JA is asking all the OC candidates how they will handle Cutler when he makes mistakes. Do you think Cutler is asking the same question? Point is they are approaching the interviews from different perspectives.

Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about wishing injury on Bears (players/ownership). Wishing injury on Farve is another matter entirely.

Living in Dallas, I am more torn than I can explain. W/o question, the three teams I hate the most in the NFL are GB, Minny and Dallas (not in that order necessarily). Minny has the double whammy w/ Farve, but I live in Dallas, which puts Dallas at the forefront. If Minny and Favre win, it sucks, but I really have no one to get in my face about it. If Dallas wins, I can't explain the hell I would have to live w/ on an everyday basis.

So in the end, do I root for Farve? Just can't do it. When someone asks, I give one of two answers.

Are you rooting for Dallas or Minny?

1. I am rooting for Al Quieda

2. I am rooting for Minny to win on a last second passing play in which Ware drops Farve for good. Dallas loses and Minny's playoffs are essentially over w/ the loss of Farve.

Helluva a good point. It's important to remember this is entertainment and escape. The fact that we have original ownership is one of the things that makes this franchise unique. Not to mention, why would anyone subject themselves to rooting for the Bears to lose because you hate Lovie or the owners? That's not healthy.

On that note, I promised a Cowboy fan co-worker I'd get a Dallas Star tatoo on my entire back if:

1) Farve has his spleen ruptured during the game

2) Farve suffers a Lawrence Taylor on Joe Theisman type injury

3) Farve suffers a Dick Butkus on Charles Hughes type injury

(See, wishing for bad things is just sick, wrong and unhealthy :rolleyes: )

I understand...

But Favre is public enemy #1 for the Bears.

I despise him with the fury of a thousand angers. I hate him more than any single player that has walked the earth except Charles Martin. I will continue to hate him above all others until I am 100% sure he is retired. And I'm honestly not sure how I can ever feel his demonic presence isn't a possibility of creeping up like Jason returning for his 30's Friday the 13th movie. Football is entertainment, and there are good guys and bad guys. He is my villain of all time.

Because of the Packer connection, him on the Vikings is like a double whammy. Pure unadulterated evil from thes depth of hell that must be stopped.

So, against my history of hating Dallas too, consider me the biggest Cowboys fan today outside of Texas! Believe you me, there are more than enough Cryboys fans out here in LA to churn your stomach, but seeing the plethora of jackasses breaking out purple Favre jerseys who've never even heard of Tarkenton (even on "That's Incredible!"), sickens me to a greater extent than watching 2 girls, one cup!

I don't wish for injury, simply for ineptness. I want so many picks, people will forget that Cutler had a bad year. I want so many fumbles, that the Ravens will laugh today. I want so many bobbled snaps that Rex Grossman can enjoy a few brews during the game. I want so much ineptness that Matt Millen cracks a smile. F you Favre. You are going down!!!

...so that's my thought on the matter. ;)

(We can root for the Saints next week regardless...)

Wait a minute. I thought we were talking about wishing injury on Bears (players/ownership). Wishing injury on Farve is another matter entirely.

Living in Dallas, I am more torn than I can explain. W/o question, the three teams I hate the most in the NFL are GB, Minny and Dallas (not in that order necessarily). Minny has the double whammy w/ Farve, but I live in Dallas, which puts Dallas at the forefront. If Minny and Favre win, it sucks, but I really have no one to get in my face about it. If Dallas wins, I can't explain the hell I would have to live w/ on an everyday basis.

So in the end, do I root for Farve? Just can't do it. When someone asks, I give one of two answers.

2. I am rooting for Minny to win on a last second passing play in which Ware drops Farve for good. Dallas loses and Minny's playoffs are essentially over w/ the loss of Farve.

I knew you'd be in apickle over this one Nfo! Good answers! Hope your no. 2 scenario plays out.