Forte reportedly had knee scoped

xvflutop

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,7047151.story

Bears running back Matt Forte had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee within the last two weeks, according to multiple sources.

The clean-up procedure followed a post-season MRI. Forte sprained the medial collateral ligament in his knee during the Bears' 25-19 victory at Seattle in Week 3, but it is unclear if the surgery stems from that specific injury.

Although Forte ran better toward the end of the season, he averaged just 3.6 yards per carry, down from his 3.9-yard average as a rookie. He finished with 929 rushing yards on 258 carries as the Bears ranked 29th in the league. Forte ran for 1,238 yards on 316 carries as a rookie the year before. As a receiver, he had 57 catches for 471 yards in 2009 against 63 for 477 in his first season.

Forte also suffered a partially torn hamstring during offseason workouts before the '09 season.

With Forte recovering from surgery, the Bears have at least three running backs on the mend. Garrett Wolfe had shoulder surgery almost two weeks ago while Kevin Jones continues his extensive rehab from torn ligaments in his left ankle. Jones missed the entire regular season.

Also, punter Brad Maynard had his right hip scoped, a source said. His recovery time is unclear.

Maynard was listed as questionable with a groin injury before the last home game against the Vikings. He handled the punt duties that night despite the Bears' decision to sign Richmond McGee as insurance.

The first day teams can start the offseason workout program is March 15.

Gives more credibility to why he played worse than a season before...

Hopefully, he can fully recover and really shine in the future.

Bears running back Matt Forte had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee within the last two weeks, according to multiple sources.

The clean-up procedure followed a post-season MRI. Forte sprained the medial collateral ligament in his knee during the Bears' 25-19 victory at Seattle in Week 3, but it is unclear if the surgery stems from that specific injury.

Although Forte ran better toward the end of the season, he averaged just 3.6 yards per carry, down from his 3.9-yard average as a rookie. He finished with 929 rushing yards on 258 carries as the Bears ranked 29th in the league. Forte ran for 1,238 yards on 316 carries as a rookie the year before. As a receiver, he had 57 catches for 471 yards in 2009 against 63 for 477 in his first season.

Forte also suffered a partially torn hamstring during offseason workouts before the '09 season.

With Forte recovering from surgery, the Bears have at least three running backs on the mend. Garrett Wolfe had shoulder surgery almost two weeks ago while Kevin Jones continues his extensive rehab from torn ligaments in his left ankle. Jones missed the entire regular season.

Also, punter Brad Maynard had his right hip scoped, a source said. His recovery time is unclear.

Maynard was listed as questionable with a groin injury before the last home game against the Vikings. He handled the punt duties that night despite the Bears' decision to sign Richmond McGee as insurance.

Check this out

Matt Forte reportedly underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee during the past two weeks.

A post-season MRI revealed the need for the procedure. Forte showed toughness in playing through a partially torn hamstring and an early-season MCL sprain, though it's not known if the scope is related to the latter. Forte should be healthy in time for OTAs, and he'll be a fine bounce-back candidate for the 2010 season.

Ya, I'd say he was pretty hurt. I'll give him credit to do what he did. I'm actually glad to read the above because it makes me feel a lot better about our RB situation (since Forte's burst was clearly impacted by his knee).

We get something even close to the rookie we had and this offense will be a shitload better.

Does anyone else have a slight problem with this?

For most of the season, as Forte was struggling, all I heard from Forte and the staff was how he was healthy, even saying 100% at one point. No injuries. No problems. After a few games, many on this board began to first ask, and later to flat out declare, that he could not be healthy, but our staff continued to say he was 100%. Hell, at one point I even said we would hear about something exactly like this after the season was over. And sure enough...

There are some injuries to players that if you report them, you could pin a target on that player. Is Forte's injury really one though? Either way, are we not required by the league to report injuries?

Really though, legal technicalities aside, here is my question.

Did the staff know? If so, why was Forte's injury not dealt w/ sooner. I read Idonije had the same thing, had surgery and was back after two games. Would it not be better to miss Forte for 2 games and then get him healthy, rather than continue to watch his 3.5 slow plodding games? Heck, even if we didn't choose surgury, why not limit him more? Limit him in practice, as well as games some. And before anyone says maybe we did, I would point out that such a move does in fact trigger the injury report. If a player is limited in practice and not on the injury report at all, that teams could suffer penalties and fines.

If the staff did not know, is that not an even more alarming issue?

It just seems like we go through this every year. Last year I believe it was Tait. He freaking sucked, but after the season, we read about how he played all year injured. Year before, Muhamad had to have surgury or something, and it was talked about how he played injured all year. Or how about Reuben Brown, who essentially played w/ one arm.

I don't know what is going on, but does something not seem off? If our players are so hurt as to so drastically alter performance, why continue to practice/play them as if they were 100%. And if the staff doesn't know about these injuries, is not that an even more alarming issue?

I have a feeling it's more Billichikian smoke & mirrors than the staff not knowing. But if they didn't know, that is quite the Pandora's Box...

For most of the season, as Forte was struggling, all I heard from Forte and the staff was how he was healthy, even saying 100% at one point. No injuries. No problems. After a few games, many on this board began to first ask, and later to flat out declare, that he could not be healthy, but our staff continued to say he was 100%. Hell, at one point I even said we would hear about something exactly like this after the season was over. And sure enough...

There are some injuries to players that if you report them, you could pin a target on that player. Is Forte's injury really one though? Either way, are we not required by the league to report injuries?

Did the staff know? If so, why was Forte's injury not dealt w/ sooner. I read Idonije had the same thing, had surgery and was back after two games. Would it not be better to miss Forte for 2 games and then get him healthy, rather than continue to watch his 3.5 slow plodding games? Heck, even if we didn't choose surgury, why not limit him more? Limit him in practice, as well as games some. And before anyone says maybe we did, I would point out that such a move does in fact trigger the injury report. If a player is limited in practice and not on the injury report at all, that teams could suffer penalties and fines.

It just seems like we go through this every year. Last year I believe it was Tait. He freaking sucked, but after the season, we read about how he played all year injured. Year before, Muhamad had to have surgury or something, and it was talked about how he played injured all year. Or how about Reuben Brown, who essentially played w/ one arm.

I don't know what is going on, but does something not seem off? If our players are so hurt as to so drastically alter performance, why continue to practice/play them as if they were 100%. And if the staff doesn't know about these injuries, is not that an even more alarming issue?

But is one really that much better than the other? If they did know, why would they not have done the surgury earlier. As said w/ Idonije, we are talking about his being out of commission for a few weeks. Or how about just giving him added breathers in practice, or lessening the load during games.

I have a feeling it's more Billichikian smoke & mirrors than the staff not knowing. But if they didn't know, that is quite the Pandora's Box...

Good point.

Either way seems to point at issues with our staff.

I read where to date, hester hasn't done any leg strength workouts. Just an example...

Our guys don't seem to be healthy. They get injured or are injured, we don't seem to be able to get them out on the field or prevent them from getting hurt. I have a feeling the Country Club environment is part of it...

But is one really that much better than the other? If they did know, why would they not have done the surgury earlier. As said w/ Idonije, we are talking about his being out of commission for a few weeks. Or how about just giving him added breathers in practice, or lessening the load during games.

agreed. in fact is not reporting, if they knew, a serious disservice to forte? he took a lot of heat from the media and people questioning his abilities. not good for only a 2nd year players confidence.

You'd think it not possible. But why is it every day, I seem to run by something that makes me dislike the fools in charge of this once glorious franchise even more?

agreed. in fact is not reporting, if they knew, a serious disservice to forte? he took a lot of heat from the media and people questioning his abilities. not good for only a 2nd year players confidence.

You'd think it not possible. But why is it every day, I seem to run by something that makes me dislike the fools in charge of this once glorious franchise even more?

i just don't understand what their thinking is on stuff like this. lovie seems to protect his players to a fault yet when he needs to do so legitimately this 'possibility' comes up of failing miserably to protect a young players psyche. mindboggling.

Nfol is right, we see this every season with an offensive player. I don't recall seeing it on the defensive side of the ball but there could easily be someone out there. I lump it all into Turner and his inability to run the offense. Between sticking with Ruben Brown, Tait, Forte, etc. all hurt and unannounced there clearly was some deception going on. For whatever reason Turner just didn't manage his roster well, and didn't develop the bottom of his roster. How many times did he state he needs to get Wolfe in on more plays? Yes, that Garrett Wolfe with the 5.5ypc average this past season. Someone will say it was only 22 attempts and I'll say what else must a guy do to get more attempts? Average 6ypc? Regardless you can't say his 5.5ypc was hurting the offense more than Forte's 3.5ypc.

Goodbye Ron I won't miss ya.

While I have no problem blaming Turner, I find it hard to not find fault here in Lovie. Should the HC not know about injuries to players too. If the trainers/team doctors knew, then I have to believe the HC would know, not just the OC.

Nfol is right, we see this every season with an offensive player. I don't recall seeing it on the defensive side of the ball but there could easily be someone out there. I lump it all into Turner and his inability to run the offense. Between sticking with Ruben Brown, Tait, Forte, etc. all hurt and unannounced there clearly was some deception going on. For whatever reason Turner just didn't manage his roster well, and didn't develop the bottom of his roster. How many times did he state he needs to get Wolfe in on more plays? Yes, that Garrett Wolfe with the 5.5ypc average this past season. Someone will say it was only 22 attempts and I'll say what else must a guy do to get more attempts? Average 6ypc? Regardless you can't say his 5.5ypc was hurting the offense more than Forte's 3.5ypc.

Guest TerraTor

Unfortunately not even Spiderman could run behind that Oline

Remember, We had zero back-ups. Kevin Jones was already out and the Bears don't feel that Wolfe could carry the bulk of the load. The coaches had no other option than to have Forte gut it out if they could.

One, I would argue there are always options. Wether that be AP, Bell, Wolfe or even signing a FA (which several teams did toward the end of the year).

Two, in the later part of the season, we were out of the playoffs. At that point, what is the use of continuing to play a kid who is strugging through an injury? Would it not have been better to shut down Forte and just give Bell carries. I am not saying Bell is equal, but why risk making Forte's injury worse? If you have nothing to play for, shut him down.

Three, even if you don't think about Sunday's, why not limit Forte in practice?

Sorry, but I do not understand the rationale. His injury, which is reported to be similar to Idonije's, is one that you can have surgery, miss a couple weeks, and return. That would seem better than having him play the entire season hurt, and play ineffective at that. Even if you choose not to have surgury, there had to be things we could have done to limit him more, whether in pratice or in games.

Remember, We had zero back-ups. Kevin Jones was already out and the Bears don't feel that Wolfe could carry the bulk of the load. The coaches had no other option than to have Forte gut it out if they could.

I don't think Wolfe can be a fulltime RB either I was more focusing on the point that Turner didn't use his players effectively. I do think Wolfe can and should have given Forte more of a break in the first part of the season. I said that early in the year and I'm even more convince it should have happened now that we know of Forte's knee injury. At this point it's all water under the bridge because Turner is gone so I'm just venting. :headbang

I hope our new OC has a better eye for talent and a better idea how to develop it. Everyone focuses on the draft and FA players in terms of what the GMs does but too often we leave out the coaches development of players as a factor. Fortunately that doesn't get past the members of this board and it's been discussed here regularly. This should be a topic of discussion in the OC and DC interviews.