Not an option

Wesson44

I don't think you can read so far into that. We are letting Wale test the waters because while we may not mind having him back, it will not be at a great cost. Thus, if he gets luke warm interest in FA, we can re-sign him. If he gets more interest, then he is gone.

Kampman is another issue entirely, as he will cost considerably more.

I just read some where that the Bears are going to let Ogunleye taest the waters of being a FA. Does this mean that we will go after Kampman fron the Packers?

I don't think you can read so far into that. We are letting Wale test the waters because while we may not mind having him back, it will not be at a great cost. Thus, if he gets luke warm interest in FA, we can re-sign him. If he gets more interest, then he is gone.

Kampman is another issue entirely, as he will cost considerably more.

So who is the best rusher O-Gun or Kap-man?

I just read some where that the Bears are going to let Ogunleye taest the waters of being a FA. Does this mean that we will go after Kampman fron the Packers?

It seems very likely that the Bears will make a run at Kampan. I think he could be a great pick-up. He struggled the past 2 years due to injury and the switch to the 3-4 but I think he'd excel back in a 4-3 set-up and would provide the Bears with an upgraded pass-rush.

I would say Kampman.

Kampman has more recently put up the bigger sack totals. This year was down, but he was also moved into a 3-4 scheme he said himself he never was comfortable with. Best year was 2006 with 15.5 sacks. Even though he didn't reach that number again, his 12 and 9.5 are still pretty dang solid.

Wale's big 15 sack season was way back in 2003. He had 10 in '05 and 9 in '07, but has otherwise been pretty much a 5-6 sack DE. This year, he showed that he can get it done against weak RTs, but even average RTs were able to all but shut him down.

Now, I have to say, I do think Wale is a good DE. He plays the run well. He is smart, and blew up several misdirection plays that often find the DE out of position. He is a fine all around DE, but simply not a great pass rusher.

Kampman, I think, is also good vs the run, but has proven more capable of being a dominating pass rusher. Further, Kampman was dominating when he was the focus on OLs. Wale's big dominating year came when he was opposite Jason Taylor.

There is no question I would rather have Kampman, but the question is going to be money. This is a thin year for FA, and pass rushing DEs come at a high premium. He is coming off a bad year, due to injury and scheme, but his recent history of dominating performances could spell big dollars. Not insane big, but likely higher than I would want to pay him.

So who is the best rusher O-Gun or Kap-man?

There is no question I would rather have Kampman, but the question is going to be money. This is a thin year for FA, and pass rushing DEs come at a high premium. He is coming off a bad year, due to injury and scheme, but his recent history of dominating performances could spell big dollars. Not insane big, but likely higher than I would want to pay him.

I'll take Kampman as well. The one thing that needs to be considered while Wale is testing the waters, Kampman will be signing with someone who may covet him. Sooo, we better be careful with this scenario and how it can play out.