Jackson not coming either!!!

Wesson44

Recently in Bears Category

Hue Jackson won't interview with Bears after all

January 26, 2010 6:59 AM | 1 Comment By Vaughn McClure

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Bears' search for an offensive coordinator continues to be an unpredictable process.

Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who was believed to be headed to Chicago for an interview with the Bears today, was a last-minute scratch, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

Jackson previously met with the Oakland Raiders about their offensive coordinator position. Before working to develop quarterback Joe Flacco the last two seasons, he was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta (2007) and Wasington ('03).

A source close to Jackson said he had not heard from the Bears as of early Monday morning, but that apparently changed Monday afternoon as NFL coaches, scouts, and front-office personnel gathered for the first day of the Senior Bowl. Jackson now could be on his way to join the Ravens' staff at the event, depending on what unfolds with the Raiders.

The Bears are taking their time interviewing candidates and are in no rush to extend offers, which may have contributed to Jackson's interview status.

The Bears also interviewed Rob Chudzinski, the assistant head coach/tight ends in San Diego, and Ken Zampese, Cincinnati's quarterbacks coach. Chudzinski apparently was content with his current situation, while Zampese was given a week deadline to make a decision after interviewing Jan. 12-13, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis told the Tribune.

The Bears failed in their efforts to secure an interview with Jeremy Bates before he went to Seattle, and Green Bay blocked the Bears from meeting with Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements.

The Bears could wait until after the Super Bowl and look to pluck a coach from either the Colts or Saints. Clyde Christensen, the Colts' assistant head coach/wide receivers, might be worth monitoring.

It is truly a sad day when a coach prefers to work for Al Davis in Oakland, rather than join the Bears.

Recently in Bears Category

Hue Jackson won't interview with Bears after all

January 26, 2010 6:59 AM | 1 Comment By Vaughn McClure

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Bears' search for an offensive coordinator continues to be an unpredictable process.

Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, who was believed to be headed to Chicago for an interview with the Bears today, was a last-minute scratch, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

Jackson previously met with the Oakland Raiders about their offensive coordinator position. Before working to develop quarterback Joe Flacco the last two seasons, he was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta (2007) and Wasington ('03).

A source close to Jackson said he had not heard from the Bears as of early Monday morning, but that apparently changed Monday afternoon as NFL coaches, scouts, and front-office personnel gathered for the first day of the Senior Bowl. Jackson now could be on his way to join the Ravens' staff at the event, depending on what unfolds with the Raiders.

The Bears are taking their time interviewing candidates and are in no rush to extend offers, which may have contributed to Jackson's interview status.

The Bears also interviewed Rob Chudzinski, the assistant head coach/tight ends in San Diego, and Ken Zampese, Cincinnati's quarterbacks coach. Chudzinski apparently was content with his current situation, while Zampese was given a week deadline to make a decision after interviewing Jan. 12-13, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis told the Tribune.

The Bears failed in their efforts to secure an interview with Jeremy Bates before he went to Seattle, and Green Bay blocked the Bears from meeting with Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements.

The Bears could wait until after the Super Bowl and look to pluck a coach from either the Colts or Saints. Clyde Christensen, the Colts' assistant head coach/wide receivers, might be worth monitoring.

At this point, they should just wait until after the SB. IMHO I say there is at least a 50% chance that Tice ends up being the OC.

Peace :dabears

i'm not being facetious when i ask this... who on the colts or saints is a realistic candidate for either coordinator position in chicago?

how do these supposed SB coaching candidates compare in quality to the names that were thrown out here like fewell, zampese, jackson, or chud?

it seems we blew off chud (a pregnant wife is near meaningless when the stakes are this high) and we certainly have blown off zampese. we supposedly lost jackson to the oakland raiders which in itself is mindboggling and now even lowly martz is rumored to have lost interest.

quite frankly tice may or may not have been a good hire as line coach but realistically does he qualify as offensive coordinator material? what i have read on this board is his forte' is running game smashmouth football? if so how can that possibly be a good piece of the missing puzzle to our offense after giving up the moon for an elite qb?

and doug plank for DC? whether that works or not it is a serious gamble to put a failing defense into someone with so little experiences hands and expect miracles especially when our HC is tying his hands to start with. he wouldn't have the experience to even tell lovie to FO if he wanted to.

That's just it. If he choose a team, even a considered lesser team than the Bears, but a team that offered more long term security, it would be one thing. But Al Davis has not even declared that his HC is safe today, much less a year from now. The situation in Oakland is even less stable than in Chicago, which is saying a ton.

Further, look at the potential of each offense. Oakland has a poor OL, like we, but are weaker in the skill positions, especially at QB. The chance of both success and stability in Oakland is far worse than in Chicago, and yet he still choose Oakland over us.

IMHO, the reason is simple. Oakland made him an offer, while we openly have said we are not ready to make an offer yet and want to drag out the interveiw process. A bird in hand.....

Yeah, I know what you mean. Neither team offers a real opportunity to stay after 2010.

Jackson had a good interview on AM 1000. He has worked previously with Cable and shares alot of the same philosophy. Further, he is from California and is excited to have the opportunity to go home. He said he didn't want to lead Lovie on so he felt it was best to cancel the interview.

Well, Cable's situation in Oakland is so bad that it makes Lovie's situation look stable. I mean, there are still questions today whether Cable will be the HC for 2010, much less beyond. If Oakland can find someone, no reason we can't.

No one is going to come to Chicago knowing that Lovie is literally a lame-duck coach.

Most of the time those interviews are going to point to the positives of one rather than the negatives.

At the end of the day, I honestly think it is this simple. Oakland made him a firm offer. Chicago had made an appointment to interview him. Even if he liked Chicago, he would be taking a huge chance putting Oakland on hold while he continued the interview process. Oakland could simply turn their attention toward another candidate, and if he didn't get the job in chicago, he would be stuck.

Can I just ask though what took so long to set up the interview? Ravens were knocked out of the playoffs 10 days ago, and he was only now supposed to fly to Chicago? If he was on our list all along, why did it take so long to bring him in?

Jackson had a good interview on AM 1000. He has worked previously with Cable and shares alot of the same philosophy. Further, he is from California and is excited to have the opportunity to go home. He said he didn't want to lead Lovie on so he felt it was best to cancel the interview.

Most of the time those interviews are going to point to the positives of one rather than the negatives.

At the end of the day, I honestly think it is this simple. Oakland made him a firm offer. Chicago had made an appointment to interview him. Even if he liked Chicago, he would be taking a huge chance putting Oakland on hold while he continued the interview process. Oakland could simply turn their attention toward another candidate, and if he didn't get the job in chicago, he would be stuck.

Can I just ask though what took so long to set up the interview? Ravens were knocked out of the playoffs 10 days ago, and he was only now supposed to fly to Chicago? If he was on our list all along, why did it take so long to bring him in?

Some are saying that the reason he is going there is knowing that Cable is on an extremely short list and it will give him the best chance to move to HC.

Sorry, but to me it as simple as this. Oakland made him an offer. We made an appointment for an interview. If both Oak and Chi made offers, and he choose Oakland, I would be more inclined to believe some of the other stuff, but that isn't what happened.

Many reasons are possible, but none seem nearly so logical to me as what I said above. He has a firm offer for a job (promotion) from Oakland. He has an interview w/ us, but (a) no timetable on when we may make a decision or (B) how likely he would be to get that job offer.

I saw where he said this,

"I honestly feel that they are being very thorough with their evaluation of candidates so they can ensure they get the right person in there...."

I read that, and I see a guy who knew it may be a while before the bears make anyone an offer, and that "anyone" may not even be him. So he took the sure thing.

Also, I don't know how likely the Oakland gig is to be a stepping stone for a HC spot. Their offense is simply bad. They are in a dire situation at QB. Russell not only is a bust, but seems to be a bust that doesn't care and doesn't have the respect of his teamates. But that is the QB Al Davis wants to see developed. They don't have great talent at WR and their OL is as bad as ours. This is simply not a good mix of talent. If he turns it around, he may in fact be a HC candidate, but I don't think the odds are very good.

Look, understand, it isn't like I was so high on the guy myself. That isn't the point though. The issue I have is with our slow, drawn out process. If he was indeed a candidate of ours all along, then why did it take 10 days to set up an interview?

Some are saying that the reason he is going there is knowing that Cable is on an extremely short list and it will give him the best chance to move to HC.

Sorry, but to me it as simple as this. Oakland made him an offer. We made an appointment for an interview. If both Oak and Chi made offers, and he choose Oakland, I would be more inclined to believe some of the other stuff, but that isn't what happened.

Many reasons are possible, but none seem nearly so logical to me as what I said above. He has a firm offer for a job (promotion) from Oakland. He has an interview w/ us, but (a) no timetable on when we may make a decision or (B) how likely he would be to get that job offer.

I saw where he said this,

"I honestly feel that they are being very thorough with their evaluation of candidates so they can ensure they get the right person in there...."

I read that, and I see a guy who knew it may be a while before the bears make anyone an offer, and that "anyone" may not even be him. So he took the sure thing.

Also, I don't know how likely the Oakland gig is to be a stepping stone for a HC spot. Their offense is simply bad. They are in a dire situation at QB. Russell not only is a bust, but seems to be a bust that doesn't care and doesn't have the respect of his teamates. But that is the QB Al Davis wants to see developed. They don't have great talent at WR and their OL is as bad as ours. This is simply not a good mix of talent. If he turns it around, he may in fact be a HC candidate, but I don't think the odds are very good.

Look, understand, it isn't like I was so high on the guy myself. That isn't the point though. The issue I have is with our slow, drawn out process. If he was indeed a candidate of ours all along, then why did it take 10 days to set up an interview?

I think you hit on it. Mulligan described the Bears process as one where they were going to interview a bunch of candidates and then choose. The issue is no one is going to stick around and wait. If they get an offer, they are gone and can you really blame them.