Is It Just Me

chitownman

As we sit here three weeks plus after the firing of five offensive coaches and announcing that we are going to bring in a new defensive coordinator, does it seem that this team is getting more and more chaotic and being a total laughing stock within the NFL? There has been a lot of speculation on why the Bears have not hired any coordinators and hired only Mike Tice at this point. Is there now a stigma on this team with the fact that most everyone is seeing the writing on the wall that the current head coach is a total lame duck and no one truthfully wants to come in and coach knowing that the probability next season that they will all be looking for a new job. People talk about the fact that Angelo is looking to save his job however, Philips has put the pressure on both Angelo and Smith to win or else. Truthfully who in their right mind would want to take that risk. Angelo could give an assistant a multi-year deal to assure that they still have a job after 2010 however, if Angelo loses his job (which he should) the new GM or head of football operations will probably want to clean house completely and allow the head coach that he brings in to hire the assistants that he wants. There is nothing to guarantee for these guys when the writing is so well written on the wall.

Look at the coaches that were to be interviewed or interviewed and how they are all treating this as the plague to a degree. Bates who could have reunited with Cutler gave up the opportunity to coach on the most storied franchise in the NFL and said no. Chudzinski interviews then decides that it is the wrong job for him for some reason, Zampese is only given one week by Marvin Lewis which has come and gone and now even Mike Martz is saying that he will no longer consider the OC position with this team. These are just a few of the so called key names that I am mentioning that have gotten most of the on going discussion about being part of this team.

When was it that this team ownership decided that the way to do business this way was is totally acceptable? Virginia does not get it nor will she ever. Michael McCasky is back in charge since his daddy passed on and screwing things up even worse then when he fired Ditka. Philips is trusted far to much to be in charge of this team as he does not have truthfully any back ground for this game or team other than he has been the family CPA for quite some time. It is sad to see how pathetic that this team has become in such a short time since appearing in the Super Bowl only three seasons ago. I just wish that Virginia would realize that she is allowing her daddy's team to become totally crippled and an embarrassment to her family, the City and the NFL and should sell the team to someone who gets it and knows how to make the team a legitimate contender. Unfortunately it looks like we are going to be stuck with the status quo for a long, long time. What do you all think?

I think if you want change next year, this is the best possible situation.

I do not think the Bears are the laughing stock of the NFL and tire of hearing that. I can think of at least at least 5 organizations that I would consider in role before the Bears led by Detroit, Oakland, and Washington. I am not happy with the Bears right now, but I certainly would not call them a laughing stock.

FYI - Mully said that Chud's wife is expecting very soon and he decided that moving right now is not in the best interest of his family. I can't hold that against the Bears.

Peace :dabears

I think Angelo brought in Tice as a possible safety valve OC after seeing the reaction by candidates to date and it may be the reason that Drake and Spencer were kept as well. No the Bears aren't the laughing stock of the NFL. They have way too much tenure in this league for that to happen but that window is opening inch by inch with every candidate gone south story and the apparent inactivity towards securing both OC and DC. Maybe Carmichael or Christensen are their targets and have been all along. I doubt it but at least that's a spin they can and probably will use if one of them comes here comes here. I'm not sure that it really makes a difference who the DC is given Smith's reluctance to change anything.

Are you sure that you wouldn't have posted a similar post if we had hired an OC day one? Halas Hall would have jumped to early, got another crony in etc.

Take a deep breath and read this: http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/1/22...s-perception-vs

Thank you. This is pretty much the same stuff that I have been saying. I like the article you included as it uses "conventional wisdom" and common sense as the approach. I totally agree about the position coaching (Tice) in that how many ways are you going to teach a grown man how to block other than maybe one or two techniques to help the process? Or maybe Tice will come along and make the linemen and TE's work harder. I mean after all he was a pretty decent TE himself. (So was Ditka right?).

This idea of waiting is really not a big deal and speculation abounds that the team has no direction or idea of what its doing. The thought that the Bears could be waiting until after the SB only strengthens my belief. Like I said in another post, noone starts the real offseason until March anyhow so just chill out. Watch the Daytona 500 next month.

One last point. I am at a further loss as to why the folks are concerned with Cutler having to continuously learn new schemes each time and speculate, given the tenuous situation that Lovie is in, he will have to learn another next year. Let me ask you this, what happens if Lovie and crew does better than many anticipate (see hope) and if they hire a REAL good OC, what's to say he isn't the HC this time next year if plan A doesn't work out? Then there won't be this changing Offensive strategy again as many speculate. Jay's a smart kid, he'll adapt.

I do not think the Bears are the laughing stock of the NFL and tire of hearing that. I can think of at least at least 5 organizations that I would consider in role before the Bears led by Detroit, Oakland, and Washington. I am not happy with the Bears right now, but I certainly would not call them a laughing stock.

While I generally agree, I would also say that laughing stock teams don't realize they are in that position until it is too late. What bothers the hell out of me is that a coach just choose Oakland OVER the bears. That is as sad of a statement as I could have come up with.

FYI - Mully said that Chud's wife is expecting very soon and he decided that moving right now is not in the best interest of his family. I can't hold that against the Bears.

While it is always possible, at the same time, those "issues" usually are all to often put to the side. Moving may not be in their best interest, but at the same time, a family w/ a new one on the way could also use extra cash, and this would be a promotion and salary increase. So I am not sure that excuse should be taken at face value. If the Bears made a nice offer, I can't help but to think of the quote, "With a new born on the way, I can't think of a better place than Chicago to raise a family."

I know some are okay w/ the "taking our time" approach, but not me. IMHO, that may well be costing us applicants.

I read a couple articles that questioned if we had gone after Fewell quicker and more aggressively, if we could not have locked him up before NY got involved.

We just lost out on the guy from Baltimore, who decided to take (per reports) the firm offer from Oakland over our drawn out interview process.

Reasons we didn't hire Chud range, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if we made him an offer on the spot, rather than telling him thanks, we'll be in touch.

While we are taking our time interviewing candidates, other teams are making hires, including the candidates we have on our list. Sorry, but I see little positive about this.

As we sit here three weeks plus after the firing of five offensive coaches and announcing that we are going to bring in a new defensive coordinator, does it seem that this team is getting more and more chaotic and being a total laughing stock within the NFL? There has been a lot of speculation on why the Bears have not hired any coordinators and hired only Mike Tice at this point. Is there now a stigma on this team with the fact that most everyone is seeing the writing on the wall that the current head coach is a total lame duck and no one truthfully wants to come in and coach knowing that the probability next season that they will all be looking for a new job. People talk about the fact that Angelo is looking to save his job however, Philips has put the pressure on both Angelo and Smith to win or else. Truthfully who in their right mind would want to take that risk. Angelo could give an assistant a multi-year deal to assure that they still have a job after 2010 however, if Angelo loses his job (which he should) the new GM or head of football operations will probably want to clean house completely and allow the head coach that he brings in to hire the assistants that he wants. There is nothing to guarantee for these guys when the writing is so well written on the wall.

Look at the coaches that were to be interviewed or interviewed and how they are all treating this as the plague to a degree. Bates who could have reunited with Cutler gave up the opportunity to coach on the most storied franchise in the NFL and said no. Chudzinski interviews then decides that it is the wrong job for him for some reason, Zampese is only given one week by Marvin Lewis which has come and gone and now even Mike Martz is saying that he will no longer consider the OC position with this team. These are just a few of the so called key names that I am mentioning that have gotten most of the on going discussion about being part of this team.

When was it that this team ownership decided that the way to do business this way was is totally acceptable? Virginia does not get it nor will she ever. Michael McCasky is back in charge since his daddy passed on and screwing things up even worse then when he fired Ditka. Philips is trusted far to much to be in charge of this team as he does not have truthfully any back ground for this game or team other than he has been the family CPA for quite some time. It is sad to see how pathetic that this team has become in such a short time since appearing in the Super Bowl only three seasons ago. I just wish that Virginia would realize that she is allowing her daddy's team to become totally crippled and an embarrassment to her family, the City and the NFL and should sell the team to someone who gets it and knows how to make the team a legitimate contender. Unfortunately it looks like we are going to be stuck with the status quo for a long, long time. What do you all think?

Excellent rant chitownman!

I could not have put it better.

I'm truly disgusted by ownership. The franchise has no future for success. It starts at the top and the leadership is lacking in everything but ego and coin counting. They are fools, they think they know everything, and they think we are all fools. Yet, my dumb ass is going to root for them next year and beyond. We Chicago fans are such masochists. We're too blinded by past and loyalty that we're essentially giving ownership carte blanche to sell us a bad good of sale every year and still line their coffers with Titanic amounts of loot. (I hope the Titanic reference is noted...)

Seeing Smith on the sidelines next season I'm certain will be like ipecac. It'll just induce instant and furious vomiting.

Just the fact that we're mentioned in the same breath of those teams is bad Connor.

We should be a shining star, instead we've fallen from grace harder than any team in the history of the NFL.

Peter King and many experts had us winning a Super Bowl this year! Granted, lofty...but many expected so much more and we delivered far less. For numerous years now really.

Now people don't even want jobs with us and are choosing Oakland over us.

Its' bad. It's real bad.

I think if you want change next year, this is the best possible situation.

Peace :dabears

Exactly...

Yep, the whole wife thing just makes an easy excuse for Chud, rather than saying this franchise is a complete mess that I want no part of.

While I generally agree, I would also say that laughing stock teams don't realize they are in that position until it is too late. What bothers the hell out of me is that a coach just choose Oakland OVER the bears. That is as sad of a statement as I could have come up with.

While it is always possible, at the same time, those "issues" usually are all to often put to the side. Moving may not be in their best interest, but at the same time, a family w/ a new one on the way could also use extra cash, and this would be a promotion and salary increase. So I am not sure that excuse should be taken at face value. If the Bears made a nice offer, I can't help but to think of the quote, "With a new born on the way, I can't think of a better place than Chicago to raise a family."

Really? What tenure? What fans know anything about the history of the Bears other than that "lark of a season" in 1985 when they were like 5 years old? Or maybe how that really nifty return guy got a td in that Super Bowl that Peyton Manning won.

This is a win now league, and for 24 years and counting, this team hasn't won. I get nothing but grief and condolences from every fan on this side of the globe that isn't from Chicago. We are the Cubs. We're the lovable losers. It's a pity party every Monday in my office (as I live in LA and the office is basically a group of transplants from all over the country). I even get well wishes from Packers, Vikings and Lions fans! No, we are a laughing stock. And it pisses me off.

I think Angelo brought in Tice as a possible safety valve OC after seeing the reaction by candidates to date and it may be the reason that Drake and Spencer were kept as well. No the Bears aren't the laughing stock of the NFL. They have way too much tenure in this league for that to happen but that window is opening inch by inch with every candidate gone south story and the apparent inactivity towards securing both OC and DC. Maybe Carmichael or Christensen are their targets and have been all along. I doubt it but at least that's a spin they can and probably will use if one of them comes here comes here. I'm not sure that it really makes a difference who the DC is given Smith's reluctance to change anything.

Thank you for that perspective...I was starting to lose it.

But, I hate to say it, they are still going to get another crony.

Are you sure that you wouldn't have posted a similar post if we had hired an OC day one? Halas Hall would have jumped to early, got another crony in etc.

Take a deep breath and read this: http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/1/22...s-perception-vs

I am 100% in the camp that think this isn't a good thing...

You strike while the iron is hot.

The next season doesn't start in March or June or September. It starts the day after your last game...if not earlier. And we are clearly behind...

I know some are okay w/ the "taking our time" approach, but not me. IMHO, that may well be costing us applicants.

I read a couple articles that questioned if we had gone after Fewell quicker and more aggressively, if we could not have locked him up before NY got involved.

We just lost out on the guy from Baltimore, who decided to take (per reports) the firm offer from Oakland over our drawn out interview process.

Reasons we didn't hire Chud range, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if we made him an offer on the spot, rather than telling him thanks, we'll be in touch.

While we are taking our time interviewing candidates, other teams are making hires, including the candidates we have on our list. Sorry, but I see little positive about this.

Really? What tenure? What fans know anything about the history of the Bears other than that "lark of a season" in 1985 when they were like 5 years old? Or maybe how that really nifty return guy got a td in that Super Bowl that Peyton Manning won.

This is a win now league, and for 24 years and counting, this team hasn't won. I get nothing but grief and condolences from every fan on this side of the globe that isn't from Chicago. We are the Cubs. We're the lovable losers. It's a pity party every Monday in my office (as I live in LA and the office is basically a group of transplants from all over the country). I even get well wishes from Packers, Vikings and Lions fans! No, we are a laughing stock. And it pisses me off.

This coming from someone who said he would wear a bag over his head. Maybe you and your fellow "masochists" should put on the burlap getup, look what it did for the Saints?

Meanwhile, my offer still stands. Those of you so fed up, so peeved, so embarrassed, so disenchanted; I will be more than happy to purchase your season holder tickets. I live in Alaska and can't even make every game but I'll still buy them and try and get to Chicago whenever I can.

Yes! Although I did say it as a joke, I'll take your jab accepting full responsibility that I indeed did write that.

You are also one of the "masochists" I refer to. We all are. The term is meant as strong statement (albeit maybe a bit over the top...I'm not running for office here, so I have a bit more leeway) that we seem to dismiss the pain and aguish over a poorly run franchise and keep coming back for more.

Here's the definition: A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

Sound familiar?

And if wearing a burlap sack is all it took for us to get a Super Bowl win, I'd wear one every freakin' day!

I'm glad your offer still stands. Not sure why you reference it in your counterpoint to my post as I'm not a season ticket holder, and I too in fact would buy someone's season tickets. I guess I just have a tendency to subject myself to unpleasant or trying experiences. But a regular game ticket, I'm not buying until there's a regime change.

This coming from someone who said he would wear a bag over his head. Maybe you and your fellow "masochists" should put on the burlap getup, look what it did for the Saints?

Meanwhile, my offer still stands. Those of you so fed up, so peeved, so embarrassed, so disenchanted; I will be more than happy to purchase your season holder tickets. I live in Alaska and can't even make every game but I'll still buy them and try and get to Chicago whenever I can.

Yea, sorry, but I will never understand this idea that because we criticize our team, that means we need to become the fan of another.

Many of us are blowing off steam. If anywhere, I would think this the place to do it. Make no mistake. When some puker fan comes up to me, I do not disparage MY team. I point out they will be watching the SB from the same vantage point as we. I point out who has more championships and players in the HOF. I gladly point out the sad way they exited the postseason, w/ yet another turnover on a day of turnovers.

When here on the boards though, and among Bear family, I am more open to be honest and vent. I am ticked off at how this team has run since we lost the SB. That does not mean I will not watch every game, nor does it mean I will do anything but cheer for my team to win.

I am a Bears fan, and IMHO, I can criticize my team. No one else can. Just like in my house. My son was late in line when God handed out common sense. I can say that, but I will take a swing at any other who does (not counting my wife:) )

Yes! Although I did say it as a joke, I'll take your jab accepting full responsibility that I indeed did write that.

You are also one of the "masochists" I refer to. We all are. The term is meant as strong statement (albeit maybe a bit over the top...I'm not running for office here, so I have a bit more leeway) that we seem to dismiss the pain and aguish over a poorly run franchise and keep coming back for more.

Here's the definition: A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

Sound familiar?

And if wearing a burlap sack is all it took for us to get a Super Bowl win, I'd wear one every freakin' day!

I'm glad your offer still stands. Not sure why you reference it in your counterpoint to my post as I'm not a season ticket holder, and I too in fact would buy someone's season tickets. I guess I just have a tendency to subject myself to unpleasant or trying experiences. But a regular game ticket, I'm not buying until there's a regime change.

I am so with you NFOLIGNO on what you are saying and that is why I started this thread. It was a place I know that have people who truthfully get and understand what it is that I am saying. They may not agree with what I am saying completely which is fine however, they get the points that I am doing my best to make. I will also be anxious for next July to come around and the team reporting to training camp. I will renew my NFL Sunday Ticket so that I do not have to sit at a bar in order to watch my team and I will yell and scream at my TV during each and every game. I was born into this team and just because I disagree with the way the owners are running it, does not mean that I will ever jump ship. I bleed Burnt Orange & Navy Blue every day and just wish that the McCaskeys would get with it and realize that some of the fans do know what we are talking about and that things need to be different. I am still on the season ticket waiting list and will continue to remain so until I am able to purchase a pair a seats year in and year out.

Yea, sorry, but I will never understand this idea that because we criticize our team, that means we need to become the fan of another.

Many of us are blowing off steam. If anywhere, I would think this the place to do it. Make no mistake. When some puker fan comes up to me, I do not disparage MY team. I point out they will be watching the SB from the same vantage point as we. I point out who has more championships and players in the HOF. I gladly point out the sad way they exited the postseason, w/ yet another turnover on a day of turnovers.

When here on the boards though, and among Bear family, I am more open to be honest and vent. I am ticked off at how this team has run since we lost the SB. That does not mean I will not watch every game, nor does it mean I will do anything but cheer for my team to win.

I am a Bears fan, and IMHO, I can criticize my team. No one else can. Just like in my house. My son was late in line when God handed out common sense. I can say that, but I will take a swing at any other who does (not counting my wife:) )

I have worked very hard to brainwash (er, I mean educate) my kids (7 & 4) to be Bear fans, and have done so in Cowboy Country. Let me tell you, it hasn't been easy. No way I am going to throw that away just because I disagee w/ what is happening of late.

One other point. You said you prefer to watch games at home rather than a Bar. Not me. I love going to the bar. Even when the games are on national TV, I go to the bar.

One, the bar I go to is pretty much the "bears bar" for the area. I love yapping on the boards, but Sunday's at the bar are my opportunity for face-to-face Bears talk. Also, it is just so much better when the bears make plays to scream amongst a big crowd of bear fans, rather than alone at home.

Two, I don't care what my wife or kids say, I can not ever watch a game in peace. When I yell, my wife chides me. Kids always want this or that. This year, we were playing a night game and I stayed home due to a sick kid and wife. Gotta be the good dad and husband, right? Mistake. Never went more than 10 minutes w/o having to get up for this or that reason. Thank God I have DVR and could hit pause, but it was annoying as hell. Much rather go to the bar for "peace and quiet" :)

I am so with you NFOLIGNO on what you are saying and that is why I started this thread. It was a place I know that have people who truthfully get and understand what it is that I am saying. They may not agree with what I am saying completely which is fine however, they get the points that I am doing my best to make. I will also be anxious for next July to come around and the team reporting to training camp. I will renew my NFL Sunday Ticket so that I do not have to sit at a bar in order to watch my team and I will yell and scream at my TV during each and every game. I was born into this team and just because I disagree with the way the owners are running it, does not mean that I will ever jump ship. I bleed Burnt Orange & Navy Blue every day and just wish that the McCaskeys would get with it and realize that some of the fans do know what we are talking about and that things need to be different. I am still on the season ticket waiting list and will continue to remain so until I am able to purchase a pair a seats year in and year out.

Well put. (usually much more elloquently than I could ever muster up...)

I have the attitude of Boone & Otter from Animal House. "They can't make fun of our pledges. Only WE can make fun of our pledges!"

:cheers

"Yes! Although I did say it as a joke, I'll take your jab accepting full responsibility that I indeed did write that.

Sound familiar?"

I think when it comes to being an actual masochist, you have to KNOW that you are going to experience unpleasantness or subject yourself to a trying experience. Why would we watch the game knowing the Bears were going to lose every time and put ourselves through that? That's not what happened 7 out of 16 games last season. Who would've thought the Bears would have won the second game against the Vikings? Or earlier in the season when they beat the defending champion Steelers? If I knew that the Bears would have lost every game, I wouldn't bother. Heck if I wanted to be a true masochist I would become a Detroit Lions fan. I don't like pain or torture. It's about the element of surprise I suppose or believing that the team will prevail. Not just Lovie, not just Angelo, not just Cutler or Urlacher even but the team. Hence why you and I and most of the other folks here are fans of the Bears.

"And if wearing a burlap sack is all it took for us to get a Super Bowl win, I'd wear one every freakin' day!

I'm glad your offer still stands. Not sure why you reference it in your counterpoint to my post as I'm not a season ticket holder, and I too in fact would buy someone's season tickets. I guess I just have a tendency to subject myself to unpleasant or trying experiences. But a regular game ticket, I'm not buying until there's a regime change."

Good, that will allow someone like me to get a better seat at the game. And, my reference to the "season ticket holder" is not so much towards you but those that have thrown up their hands in disgust and said they can't do it anymore. Could be "steam blowing" I suppose but for me, patience. :banghead

Makes sense!

I too, like Chitownman, have the ticket and watch at home. I'll get it every year until they stop doing it. I still need to watch the train wreck! ...and I bet on various pools, fantasy, etc...so it's good to watch other games too.

But for me it boiled down to money. When I'd go to a bar, I could end up spending $100 a Sunday. Not all the time, but enough. Plus, I enjoy my drink, so unless I could cab it (which I can't), I'd prefer to be at home. I have friends that walk or get lifts over and watch games with me. We grill, drink, and have a blast. One other fellow Bears fan joins in every week, and we usually end up in my backyard smoking a cigar with a fine glass of single malt bitching about how badly the team is run.

My wife and I don't have kids, so that element isn't in the mix for us.

I have worked very hard to brainwash (er, I mean educate) my kids (7 & 4) to be Bear fans, and have done so in Cowboy Country. Let me tell you, it hasn't been easy. No way I am going to throw that away just because I disagee w/ what is happening of late.

One other point. You said you prefer to watch games at home rather than a Bar. Not me. I love going to the bar. Even when the games are on national TV, I go to the bar.

One, the bar I go to is pretty much the "bears bar" for the area. I love yapping on the boards, but Sunday's at the bar are my opportunity for face-to-face Bears talk. Also, it is just so much better when the bears make plays to scream amongst a big crowd of bear fans, rather than alone at home.

Two, I don't care what my wife or kids say, I can not ever watch a game in peace. When I yell, my wife chides me. Kids always want this or that. This year, we were playing a night game and I stayed home due to a sick kid and wife. Gotta be the good dad and husband, right? Mistake. Never went more than 10 minutes w/o having to get up for this or that reason. Thank God I have DVR and could hit pause, but it was annoying as hell. Much rather go to the bar for "peace and quiet" :)

One other candidate might sway those odds some. Reports talked about our having interest in Indy's WR coach. As Indy is in the SB, two weeks away, we can't hire him for a while now. We may be thinking about holding out for him, and if that doesn't work, it's back to the safety nets of either Tice or Marz, though Martz sounds like he is getting annoyed w/ the process too.

What I truly have no clue about is the DC position. I have not really even heard much about candidates since Fewell choose another team. Is there someone in Indy on defense we like also? I don't think there is any way Angelo allows Babich to be DC again, nor Lovie, and Marinelli doesn't want the job. So not only am I in the dark as to who our candidates are, but I don't really see the safety net we seem to have in place for offense.

So at this point I give it a 50% change to Martz and a 50% chance to Tice being OC

Yea, totally different situations.

When I go to the bar, I actually don't drink, funny as that sounds. I drink soda or water, which is re-fillable. I do get something to eat, but my tab is usually only around $10, though I usually tip another $10, if not more. I don't drink at the bar as (a) driving and (B) don't want those $100 bar tabs.

I also really don't have a choise. I have verizon cable, which does not offer the NFL ticket, and I love my cable and have no intention of changing.

But honestly, even if the bar tab was more and/or I could get the games at home, off to the bar I would still go. If you have kids, you might better understand. Little rugrats can really be a distraction :)

Makes sense!

I too, like Chitownman, have the ticket and watch at home. I'll get it every year until they stop doing it. I still need to watch the train wreck! ...and I bet on various pools, fantasy, etc...so it's good to watch other games too.

But for me it boiled down to money. When I'd go to a bar, I could end up spending $100 a Sunday. Not all the time, but enough. Plus, I enjoy my drink, so unless I could cab it (which I can't), I'd prefer to be at home. I have friends that walk or get lifts over and watch games with me. We grill, drink, and have a blast. One other fellow Bears fan joins in every week, and we usually end up in my backyard smoking a cigar with a fine glass of single malt bitching about how badly the team is run.

My wife and I don't have kids, so that element isn't in the mix for us.