Haugh says...

Connorbear

If the Bears promote from in, Hoke should be the man.

Check out his bio. Haugh says he is definately an in your face coach which should make many of you happy.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=28

If he is promoted they could promote Gill Byrd who is currently the asst. defensive backs coach.

Peace :dabears

If the Bears promote from in, Hoke should be the man.

Check out his bio. Haugh says he is definately an in your face coach which should make many of you happy.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=28

If he is promoted they could promote Gill Byrd who is currently the asst. defensive backs coach.

Why would you even consider promoting a coach who was not successful?

The only truly successful coach on the staff is Dave Toub. I figure we'll promote to DC . . . that way our defense will be mediocre and our special teams will suffer. This would be called giving him the Devin Hester treatment.

Agreed as to Hoke. While Houston's DBs may have led the team in interceptions, I don't think their secondary was ever considered that great. Houston spent numerous draft picks and signed numerous FAs, and their secondary was never more than mediocre. Houston's defense was always a key weakness to the team's success. If not for their offense, led by Schaub and AJ, that team would have been just awful.

In his one year w/ the Bears, what did he do for the secondary that was impressive? Tillman didn't seem any better than previous. Vasher was not able to return to form. Bowman was adequate, but I am not sure he developed so much as to credit Hoke. Graham, at least in the eyes of the staff based on playing time, didn't develop. Moore, our top drafted DB who was called a steal by many, couldn't even get on the field. Then there's the safeties. Afalava started strong but faded fast. Payne didn't seem to elevate his status. Overall, our secondary was simply not very good. Pass rush was a huge problem here, but lets not pretend our secondary was good. While I am not sure Hoke deserves to be blamed, based on a lack of talent, at the same time, I am not sure why we would give him credit either, much less promote him.

Why would you even consider promoting a coach who was not successful?

The only truly successful coach on the staff is Dave Toub. I figure we'll promote to DC . . . that way our defense will be mediocre and our special teams will suffer. This would be called giving him the Devin Hester treatment.

Agreed as to Hoke. While Houston's DBs may have led the team in interceptions, I don't think their secondary was ever considered that great. Houston spent numerous draft picks and signed numerous FAs, and their secondary was never more than mediocre. Houston's defense was always a key weakness to the team's success. If not for their offense, led by Schaub and AJ, that team would have been just awful.

In his one year w/ the Bears, what did he do for the secondary that was impressive? Tillman didn't seem any better than previous. Vasher was not able to return to form. Bowman was adequate, but I am not sure he developed so much as to credit Hoke. Graham, at least in the eyes of the staff based on playing time, didn't develop. Moore, our top drafted DB who was called a steal by many, couldn't even get on the field. Then there's the safeties. Afalava started strong but faded fast. Payne didn't seem to elevate his status. Overall, our secondary was simply not very good. Pass rush was a huge problem here, but lets not pretend our secondary was good. While I am not sure Hoke deserves to be blamed, based on a lack of talent, at the same time, I am not sure why we would give him credit either, much less promote him.

Hoke has experience calling plays which Marinelli does not. If the Bears end up promoting from within, I would much rather promote Hoke than promote Marinelli. Promoting Marinelli would be we weakening a perceived strength.

While I understand what you are saying, at the same time, I just don't think Marinelli did much last year. I am not blasting him as a coach, but everyone made such a big deal about what a coach like him could do for the DL, and I just didn't see it. That isn't to say I want him to be our DC, only to question how much of a strength I would consider him right now. Honestly, outside of Toub, I am not sure any of our coaches are such that I would consider them a strength.

Hoke has experience calling plays which Marinelli does not. If the Bears end up promoting from within, I would much rather promote Hoke than promote Marinelli. Promoting Marinelli would be we weakening a perceived strength.

While I understand what you are saying, at the same time, I just don't think Marinelli did much last year. I am not blasting him as a coach, but everyone made such a big deal about what a coach like him could do for the DL, and I just didn't see it. That isn't to say I want him to be our DC, only to question how much of a strength I would consider him right now. Honestly, outside of Toub, I am not sure any of our coaches are such that I would consider them a strength.

That why I said 'perceived' strength.

Got it. Hey, I fell for the hype too. "Marinelli was our biggest FA signing." Remember that. Marinelli would be the saviour of our DL, and w/ improved play of the DL, it would cause a ripple effect on the defense. While I am not saying he isn't a good DL coach based on one year, at the same time, I have no seen it. Frankly, how good of a coach has he been since he was the DL coach in TB, where he had tremendous talent? Is it possible that his coaching ability is a tad over-rated?

I realize we don't have all the talent in the world on the DL. At the same time, I just don't feel he did much w/ what he had.

I don't think I saw improved play from Brown or Wale. Harris was much the same as before, and Marinelli didn't seem to be able to light a fire under him the way many thought he could. Harrison was supposed to be a steal in the 3rd round, but we can't even get him to seem to care enough to stay in shape. Gilbert was supposed to have all this raw talent, but we never saw development of that talent. Anderson was supposed to be back to rookie form, and while he did have more flashes than the previous year, he was still far removed from that prior disruptive force. We traded a 2nd for Adams, and while it was midseason, he was coming from a similar scheme, and I think expectations were that he would help immediately, and yet he never showed jack. I just don't know where he helped the DL, either w/ regard to veterans or young players. Again, that isn't to say he sucks, but only that I question whether (a) he should still be considered such a strength or (B) he should be in line for a promotion.

That why I said 'perceived' strength.