off seasons moves

Wesson44

We need to cut R.Davis(WR) and K.Jones(RB) and Vasher(CB) and go after W.McGhee(RB) B.Marshall(WR) and L.Shepard(CB) and R.Clark(FS)

1. I really like Rashied Davis as a 5th/6th WR. He knows the position and he plays special teams. He's the kind of player you want filling out the bottom of your roster.

2. Agreed we need a dependable #2 RB. Is McGahee much of a pass catch? If we hire Martz, that's a must.

3. Vasher is good enough to make the team but not good enough to start. Is it now worth paying him a bunch of money to go away?

4. I think we owe it to ourselves to find out what we have in Knox and Aromoshodu. Marshall would cost draft picks and a ton of money.

5. Isn't Shepard about the same as Vasher?

1. I really like Rashied Davis as a 5th/6th WR. He knows the position and he plays special teams. He's the kind of player you want filling out the bottom of your roster.

2. Agreed we need a dependable #2 RB. Is McGahee much of a pass catch? If we hire Martz, that's a must.

3. Vasher is good enough to make the team but not good enough to start. Is it now worth paying him a bunch of money to go away?

4. I think we owe it to ourselves to find out what we have in Knox and Aromoshodu. Marshall would cost draft picks and a ton of money.

Davis is fine by me as long as he's only playing on special teams. McGahee caught 43 passes the last time he played a full season, so he's a pretty good receiver...he'd be a great pickup. Marshall is a total pipe dream, unless he gets cut outright, which I highly doubt. The Broncos will be looking for a lot more value than Chicago can afford to part with. It sounds like they're going to be looking for a 1st-rounder for him, and I doubt they'd take less than a 2nd plus a later pick. Lito Sheppard is almost exactly like Vasher, and I'd much rather have Bowman than Sheppard. Bowman is shaping up to be a pretty good #2 corner, and our big need in the secondary is free safety.

Why do you like R.Davis? I understand why you, and I even, liked him some years ago. Then, we were weak at the top of the WR depth, much less lower. Then, he was actually one of our better WRs. Also, "then" he was probably our top special teams player.

But how much of that is true today?

IMHO, Davis was not even a very good special teams player last year. How often did you hear about him making plays? In fact, I said the same the previous year too. His special teams play seemed to drop in 2008. Many felt that was due to his playing a larger role on the offense, but in 2009, he didn't have a role on offense, and his special teams play was still weak. IMHO, both he and Adrain Peterson developed great reps on special teams, but I would argue they have been living off those reps for a couple years now as each has been average at best.

As for his receiving, frankly, we had enough trouble spreading around enough reps for our current group of WRs. I would much rather give that spot to a player who may actually help our offense, rather than simply another special teams body. It would be one thing if his special teams play were still at a high level, but I just do not believe it is anymore.

Players like AP and Davis really have to play special teams at a high level to warrant their value on the roster. As said as it may be, but when their special teams play begins to slip, their value slips 10 fold.

Is it just me, or does Garrett Wolfe gain new value on the roster? I think he could be what Trung Candidate was supposed to be.

Garrett Wolfe has never impressed me in any kind of a traditional running back role, even as a receiver out of the backfield. He's just not quick or explosive enough to make people miss at the NFL level, and he's never been strong enough to run through tackles. Any defender, even corners and safeties, who so much as swipes at him usually brings him down. The only plays that work for him are designed screens and gadget plays that get him into space: even on those plays, he's not really adding any value, since he never gets past the first defender. Anything we use Wolfe for, Forte could probably do better. Maybe he's worth a roster spot for his special teams performance, but I'm not even sure about that, unless we can get a durable, productive #2 back.

Also, Trung Canidate was considered undersized, and he was way bigger than Wolfe. Canidate was 5'11" and 205 pounds. Next to Wolfe, he'd look like Brandon Jacobs.