Agent Says Panthers Ignoring Peppers

chitownman

Here is a link to an article on the Trib's website tonight:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,0,860559.story

Question that I have for everyone is that with the way Tommie Harris breaks down, Gaines Adams passing and no idea on Wale at this point, would it be within our interest to see if we are able to make a run at Peppers. I have always like him and the effort that he brings and he is one of those dominant type of players that it maybe nice to add him to the defensive mix. Do we have enough money available and will the McCaskeys agree to giving Peppers a respectable contract to help shore up the defensive line a little bit?

Question that I have for everyone is that with the way Tommie Harris breaks down, Gaines Adams passing and no idea on Wale at this point, would it be within our interest to see if we are able to make a run at Peppers. I have always like him and the effort that he brings and he is one of those dominant type of players that it maybe nice to add him to the defensive mix. Do we have enough money available and will the McCaskeys agree to giving Peppers a respectable contract to help shore up the defensive line a little bit?

As awesome as it would seem and in a word: No.

He was available last year for negotiations and I don't think the Bears even sniffed that direction. I think he may need to much money, which we all know is a repellent....usually. As far as a FA that is still out there unsigned that I would really like to see come to Chitown; Derrick Brooks.

I would love to see the Bears make the move. He is the type of player who would automatically elevate the play of our DL. I was watching ESPN earlier and they were mentioning they thought he would be an UFA this offseason. I am sure the bidding war will be intense. Let's hope he fits within our cap space and we go after him.

I would love to see the Bears make the move. He is the type of player who would automatically elevate the play of our DL. I was watching ESPN earlier and they were mentioning they thought he would be an UFA this offseason. I am sure the bidding war will be intense. Let's hope he fits within our cap space and we go after him.

Pix - There is no cap next year so all that has to be worried about is the cash. There is also the distinct possibility that he gets franchised again.

AG- Peppers was franchised last year so, no, he wasn't available. It would have cost us 2 first rounders to get him (which would have meant no Cutler) and even if we did sign him to a contract, the Panthers would have likely matched it anyway.

There is really no point in thinking about it much until we see if he gets tagged or not.

Pix - There is no cap next year so all that has to be worried about is the cash. There is also the distinct possibility that he gets franchised again.

AG- Peppers was franchised last year so, no, he wasn't available. It would have cost us 2 first rounders to get him (which would have meant no Cutler) and even if we did sign him to a contract, the Panthers would have likely matched it anyway.

There is really no point in thinking about it much until we see if he gets tagged or not.

It was reported on ESPN, don't remember where, that he is most likely not to be tagged because his tagged salary for next season would be $20mil

It was reported on ESPN, don't remember where, that he is most likely not to be tagged because his tagged salary for next season would be $20mil

Even in an uncapped year, the amount of money it would cost to tag him for another consecutive year is just crazy.

Peppers might well be a good fit for the Bears needs...they really need pressure from the outside after Adams, O-Gun's loss, etc., but my only question with Peppers is whether or not he's worth it. He seems to be worse than Harris in doing disappearing acts. When he's on, he can totally take over a game (see: Minnesota) but he only seems to do that a couple times per year, the other games he just seems to be a non-factor, and not simply because of the blocking/offense.

After the loss of Adams though, the Bears seriously need to add some power at that position.

Even in an uncapped year, the amount of money it would cost to tag him for another consecutive year is just crazy.

Peppers might well be a good fit for the Bears needs...they really need pressure from the outside after Adams, O-Gun's loss, etc., but my only question with Peppers is whether or not he's worth it. He seems to be worse than Harris in doing disappearing acts. When he's on, he can totally take over a game (see: Minnesota) but he only seems to do that a couple times per year, the other games he just seems to be a non-factor, and not simply because of the blocking/offense.

After the loss of Adams though, the Bears seriously need to add some power at that position.

I for one do not believe he would sign with the Bears. He has said he wants to be an OLB in a 3-4 so the Bears would need to pony up the dollar bills to get him me thinks.

I for one do not believe he would sign with the Bears. He has said he wants to be an OLB in a 3-4 so the Bears would need to pony up the dollar bills to get him me thinks.

He'll wind up with whoever ponies up the most money, I can say that with no hesitation. Instincts of course suggest that means Washington.

Guest TerraTor

if all it would cost the bears is money, than abso-goddam-lutely. No more trading picks. This team sucks right now and is in desperate need of Playmakers at WR and DB, and new OL.

As opposed to the $17 mil it cost them last year? That's based on an interpretation that the Panthers aren't interested because they haven't spoken to him. My interpretation is that they don't know what they plan to do because of the uncertainty of the CBA situation. I see no reason to expect him not to be tagged again.

When it comes to offseason speculation like this, the media is wrong as often as not. Add in the uncertainties of an uncapped year, and no communication doesn't mean much of anything. If he's not franchised in the next few weeks, then we know he'll be available.

As far as the Bears are concerned, I think it really depends on who we hire as OC. If Martz gets the gig, then I expect any offseason spending to go towards the offense.

Simply speaking as to last year, he was slapped with the franchise tag, so I am not sure it correct to simply say we had no interest. Besides a massive contract, last year he would have also cost two #1s.

As awesome as it would seem and in a word: No.

He was available last year for negotiations and I don't think the Bears even sniffed that direction. I think he may need to much money, which we all know is a repellent....usually. As far as a FA that is still out there unsigned that I would really like to see come to Chitown; Derrick Brooks.

The issue with Peppers is definitely motivation. He completely disappears for games at a time, and the only exception seems to be when he's in a contract year. That said, if all it would take is money and the team thinks Marinelli could motivate him on a consistent basis, I'd be OK with it. The Bears desperately need to add some d-line pressure, and we don't have any draft picks.

With the ginormous savings on keeping Zombie Smith and JA, this should be easily afforable for the the McCaskey royal court.

Sorry, but I don't want to spend big on anyone based on the assumption that Marinelli can movtive them. Isn't that what everyone said would happen w/ Marinelli and Tommie Harris? Or Marinelli and Marcus Harrison? I don't think either appeared very motivated.

The issue with Peppers is definitely motivation. He completely disappears for games at a time, and the only exception seems to be when he's in a contract year. That said, if all it would take is money and the team thinks Marinelli could motivate him on a consistent basis, I'd be OK with it. The Bears desperately need to add some d-line pressure, and we don't have any draft picks.

Sorry, but I don't want to spend big on anyone based on the assumption that Marinelli can movtive them. Isn't that what everyone said would happen w/ Marinelli and Tommie Harris? Or Marinelli and Marcus Harrison? I don't think either appeared very motivated.

Yeah, I'm not saying I think it's likely that Marinelli can motivate the guy (nothing seems to do that but a payday.) I'm just saying that if he could, I'd be OK with the Bears going after Peppers, especially since I've been hearing that Green Bay's going to try to retain Kampman.

Think forward!

Rod won't be around after next season...would you not want Peppers for after that?

How much for Harris is motivation and how much is injury?