Alan Williams interested

ChileBear

I like it.

He'd definitely be qualified, but he seems too much like a Lovie yes-man hire for my tastes. Dude started as the assistant DBs coach in Tampa back in 2001, and he's been in Indianapolis since. That means the ONLY background he has is in the Tampa-2. Fewell, at least, had one stop on his resume with a non-Tampa-2 team. If Lovie's going to go outside his current staff for the hire, I'd really like to see him get somebody with a more diverse background, like Rivera had.

He'd definitely be qualified, but he seems too much like a Lovie yes-man hire for my tastes. Dude started as the assistant DBs coach in Tampa back in 2001, and he's been in Indianapolis since. That means the ONLY background he has is in the Tampa-2. Fewell, at least, had one stop on his resume with a non-Tampa-2 team. If Lovie's going to go outside his current staff for the hire, I'd really like to see him get somebody with a more diverse background, like Rivera had.

But...look at the kind of success he's had developing talent in the secondary for the Colts. That's sort of exactly what the Bears have talked about needing; people who can take guys and get the most out of them, or put them into a solid system and allow them to have more success.

But you know we are not going to be looking outside the box. My only positive is that he has been with Indy, which may run the cover two, has done more to tweak it. I think that is what most hope for. No one expects us to dump the cover two, but the hope is we do a better job of tweaking it as a team like Indy has done.

Seriously, anything but from within is probably an improvement. The question will be is what percent? Is is 1% better or 100%? This would probably be somewhere in the 25% I think. Small improvement.

Then again, if he can just preach getting the DB's to stop being 10 yards off the LOS, it'll make an enormous impact!

But you know we are not going to be looking outside the box. My only positive is that he has been with Indy, which may run the cover two, has done more to tweak it. I think that is what most hope for. No one expects us to dump the cover two, but the hope is we do a better job of tweaking it as a team like Indy has done.

Guest TerraTor
Pft.. Yea.. Like who wants a defense like Indy? They don't go undefeted every year so they must have a bad scheme. Ok bad sarcasim.

we need to scrap the Cover-Pooh

Our Dline isnt good enough anymore

Pft.. Yea.. Like who wants a defense like Indy? They don't go undefeted every year so they must have a bad scheme. Ok bad sarcasim.

Umm, is Williams going to bring Dwight Freeney with him? Or Robert Mathis? Or Bob Sanders? Because unless he does, I don't think we're in any danger of having a defense like Indy's. You can just rest easy on that one.

And balta/nfo, yeah, I do agree that chances of Lovie going outside his own coaching tree are pretty minimal. And I guess if he's going to get another guy from St. Louis or Tampa, we should at least get somebody who can develop players. But I'm not happy settling for that: the last time this defense was good, it was being run by somebody who knew several different schemes. I'd like to see that again, rather than another guy who's going to run the same thing that hasn't been working.

I'm not one of these guys who thinks the Tampa-2 is dead, but it depends on having some horses that we just don't have. Indy can get tons of pass pressure with their front four, but we can't. We're going to need to blitz all the time anyway, we should hire a guy who's proven he can do it effectively.

Tampa 2 or not, he will be a good fit. The Colts secondary was decimated with injury this year and still continue to perform. As a matter of fact, the Colts seem to lose D player after D player and continue to perform on a yearly basis. Even if he is not the author, he is definately a huge part of the book. A best selling one at that. I'll take him.