Can we let the man do what he wants please?

madlithuanian

Permalink 9 Comments Back to Top

Devin Hester wants to return to returning

Posted by Josh Alper on February 4, 2010 1:29 PM ET

It's been more than two years since we've seen Devin Hester break a kick return for a touchdown, but if the Bears receiver has his way we could see him get back on the horse in 2010.

Hester was a guest on "The Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN Radio in Chicago Thursday and told the hosts that while he was happy to do whatever the coaching staff asked of him, he'd like to resume his role as the team's lead kickoff returner.

"I know what I'm best at," Hester said. "The return game is my bread and butter, so if I had to cut back on my receiving and go back to returning, that's something I would love to do."

Hester had four touchdowns on 63 regular season returns in his first two seasons and added another score on the first play of Super Bowl XLI in 2007. He's returned 38 kicks over the last two seasons, just seven in 2009, as the Bears have tried to harness his abilities to juice up thier offense. Hester had 57 catches for 757 yards and three touchdowns in 2009.

If the Bears do choose to limit Hester's role in the offense, it would likely be because of the way Devin Aromashodu played down the stretch last season. The fourth-year player out of Auburn had 22 catches and four touchdowns in the final four games and flashed some good chemistry with Jay Cutler.

The fact that the Bears have to learn Mike Martz's expansive offense might also affect how much Hester, a converted cornerback, contributes to the base offense. His speed will always be an asset, but the team might find new ways to utilize it with Martz at the reins.

If Hester doesn't return to the returner role, the Bears should still be okay on kickoffs. Rookie receiver Johnny Knox returned a kickoff 102 yards for a touchdown this season and wound up in the Pro Bowl after Percy Harvin passed on an invitation to the game.

Permalink 9 Comments Back to Top

Devin Hester wants to return to returning

Posted by Josh Alper on February 4, 2010 1:29 PM ET

It's been more than two years since we've seen Devin Hester break a kick return for a touchdown, but if the Bears receiver has his way we could see him get back on the horse in 2010.

Hester was a guest on "The Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN Radio in Chicago Thursday and told the hosts that while he was happy to do whatever the coaching staff asked of him, he'd like to resume his role as the team's lead kickoff returner.

"I know what I'm best at," Hester said. "The return game is my bread and butter, so if I had to cut back on my receiving and go back to returning, that's something I would love to do."

Hester had four touchdowns on 63 regular season returns in his first two seasons and added another score on the first play of Super Bowl XLI in 2007. He's returned 38 kicks over the last two seasons, just seven in 2009, as the Bears have tried to harness his abilities to juice up thier offense. Hester had 57 catches for 757 yards and three touchdowns in 2009.

If the Bears do choose to limit Hester's role in the offense, it would likely be because of the way Devin Aromashodu played down the stretch last season. The fourth-year player out of Auburn had 22 catches and four touchdowns in the final four games and flashed some good chemistry with Jay Cutler.

The fact that the Bears have to learn Mike Martz's expansive offense might also affect how much Hester, a converted cornerback, contributes to the base offense. His speed will always be an asset, but the team might find new ways to utilize it with Martz at the reins.

If Hester doesn't return to the returner role, the Bears should still be okay on kickoffs. Rookie receiver Johnny Knox returned a kickoff 102 yards for a touchdown this season and wound up in the Pro Bowl after Percy Harvin passed on an invitation to the game.

I read this different. I took this to mean that if the coaching staff would like for him to limit his role as a WR he would love to go back being a KR/PR.

I took it as a playing being realistic. Hester was likely flat out told, or led to believe, we will look to more limit his receiving and increase his returning. Rather than cry about it, he says he is on board w/ the idea, and in fact likes it that way. It isn't that he doesn't like, or doesn't want, to be a WR. But more that he doesn't believe fighting w/ the team on what position/role he plays will in the end be helpful to his career.

I read this different. I took this to mean that if the coaching staff would like for him to limit his role as a WR he would love to go back being a KR/PR.

That's how I read it as well...

I took it as a playing being realistic. Hester was likely flat out told, or led to believe, we will look to more limit his receiving and increase his returning. Rather than cry about it, he says he is on board w/ the idea, and in fact likes it that way. It isn't that he doesn't like, or doesn't want, to be a WR. But more that he doesn't believe fighting w/ the team on what position/role he plays will in the end be helpful to his career.

Guest TerraTor

Weird, exactly where he belongs

WR or not I don't think Hester is the same return guy he was his first two years. For whatever reason he is just not as quick and explosive as he was and he also runs scared too often. Was the loss of quickness the result of him bulking up to handle WR duties, perhaps? So if we reduce his role at WR and he changes his workouts I'll assume he gets that back. What about running scared? If he continues to "play it safe" on returns and not hit the hole like he used to you won't see those big breakaways. I feel he's better served being our slot WR and handling more return duties but I don't expect we'll see the same Hester returning kicks we saw in his first year.

Guest TerraTor
WR or not I don't think Hester is the same return guy he was his first two years. For whatever reason he is just not as quick and explosive as he was and he also runs scared too often. Was the loss of quickness the result of him bulking up to handle WR duties, perhaps? So if we reduce his role at WR and he changes his workouts I'll assume he gets that back. What about running scared? If he continues to "play it safe" on returns and not hit the hole like he used to you won't see those big breakaways. I feel he's better served being our slot WR and handling more return duties but I don't expect we'll see the same Hester returning kicks we saw in his first year.

see i gotta disagree. He needs to go back there for good. Get a real #1 on this team and let the other guys play off him. Anyway, hester returns even 2 hes already gotten back to his best in the league status (considering hes the best ever)

see i gotta disagree. He (Hester) needs to go back there for good. Get a real #1 on this team and let the other guys play off him. Anyway, hester returns even 2 hes already gotten back to his best in the league status (considering hes the best ever)

The fact that I continue to agree with Terra is starting to unnerve me. In fact, I couldn't agree more. I would go as far as to say and suggest that Hester is done (or should be) as a WR, slot or otherwise. In fact, the Bears should showcase his return abilities maybe in training camp, and that he still has "it" :pray , and trade him before the season. The Bears missed their opportunity a few years back but there is still hope on his value.

Guest TerraTor
The fact that I continue to agree with Terra is starting to unnerve me. In fact, I couldn't agree more. I would go as far as to say and suggest that Hester is done (or should be) as a WR, slot or otherwise. In fact, the Bears should showcase his return abilities maybe in training camp, and that he still has "it" :pray , and trade him before the season. The Bears missed their opportunity a few years back but there is still hope on his value.

no value in trading him. We dont trade our players, we just give up 2nd rounders for Busts

I am sorry but there is absolutely no way on god's green earth we trade barring some miracle trade. I don't mind moving him to slot and having him being the go to guy for returns. Most people have complained about how bad this WR corp is and if you remove him for the equation its even worse unless we are able to made a miracle trade to get a Boldin or Marshall type of player.

I never understood why they wanted Hester so bad to be a true legitimate receiver. I understand he has shown "mad" quicks however, I do not think he had the right size as a receiver. Today's receiver are bigger, taller and able to dish out punishment. Plus the fact that they were further attempting to change the player that he was, which was a defensive back. Hester did very good as a return man and that is where Hester should be concentrated on. Let Hester be the returner that he is and once in a while you could put him in the slot just for fun however, our return game needs his explosion if he still has it.

I am sorry but there is absolutely no way on god's green earth we trade barring some miracle trade. I don't mind moving him to slot and having him being the go to guy for returns. Most people have complained about how bad this WR corp is and if you remove him for the equation its even worse unless we are able to made a miracle trade to get a Boldin or Marshall type of player.

Ding, ding, ding. Now we're talkin'!!!! "Trade for Boldin or Marshall". Sounds like a great idea.

And I'm not so sure that taking Hester out of the WR rotation makes things "worse". He really isn't that integral.

Ding, ding, ding. Now we're talkin'!!!! "Trade for Boldin or Marshall". Sounds like a great idea.

And I'm not so sure that taking Hester out of the WR rotation makes things "worse". He really isn't that integral.

How do you figure he's not integral? He was our leading receiver, and he was on pace for close to 1000 yards if he hadn't missed 3 games. Is there any actual evidence that Knox or Aromashodu or Bennett could replace Hester's production? I haven't seen any: all of them have been less productive on a per-target basis than Hester. Giving any of them more targets at the expense of Hester would make the passing game less effective.

Also, both Boldin and Marshall are under contract. Both their respective teams are going to want draft picks. I can't imagine that either of them would take a 3rd rounder, so I think we can go ahead and forget about Boldin or Marshall to the Bears. I wouldn't want Boldin anyway: yeah, he has good hands, but he's also slow, constantly injured, and about to be 30.

I've made this argument before, but even an all-world return man isn't as valuable as a starting wide receiver. Teams wouldn't even kick to Hester by the end of 2007, and what good is he if he never gets to touch the ball? Look: would you rather our offense started on the 40 every time, but without Hester in the receiving game? We've got two other guys (Danieal Manning and Johnny Knox) who can return kicks at a very high level; we need to keep Hester where he's most valuable to the team, in the receiver corps.

X takes a square!

I never understood why they wanted Hester so bad to be a true legitimate receiver. I understand he has shown "mad" quicks however, I do not think he had the right size as a receiver. Today's receiver are bigger, taller and able to dish out punishment. Plus the fact that they were further attempting to change the player that he was, which was a defensive back. Hester did very good as a return man and that is where Hester should be concentrated on. Let Hester be the returner that he is and once in a while you could put him in the slot just for fun however, our return game needs his explosion if he still has it.

How do you figure he's not integral? He was our leading receiver, and he was on pace for close to 1000 yards if he hadn't missed 3 games. Is there any actual evidence that Knox or Aromashodu or Bennett could replace Hester's production? I haven't seen any: all of them have been less productive on a per-target basis than Hester. Giving any of them more targets at the expense of Hester would make the passing game less effective.

Also, both Boldin and Marshall are under contract. Both their respective teams are going to want draft picks. I can't imagine that either of them would take a 3rd rounder, so I think we can go ahead and forget about Boldin or Marshall to the Bears. I wouldn't want Boldin anyway: yeah, he has good hands, but he's also slow, constantly injured, and about to be 30.

I've made this argument before, but even an all-world return man isn't as valuable as a starting wide receiver. Teams wouldn't even kick to Hester by the end of 2007, and what good is he if he never gets to touch the ball? Look: would you rather our offense started on the 40 every time, but without Hester in the receiving game? We've got two other guys (Danieal Manning and Johnny Knox) who can return kicks at a very high level; we need to keep Hester where he's most valuable to the team, in the receiver corps.

I know there was a post somewhere where I actually disproved that Hester was the #1 receiver. I think the only stat he led was YPG. And it was 4 not 3 games that he missed. And being "on pace" versus actually making a 1,000 yards are two different things. Ironically I find it funny that you compare Boldin - who you say is injury prone to Hester who was...injured for those 4 games. But, as I proved in my earlier post, Boldin still outproduced Hester, and he's a #2. Aromashadu did more overall with less time (9 games) and PROBABLY would have been even more meaningful to the team had Cutler been able to get him in the rotation sooner. Thusly, having someone like Aromashodu get more "looks" or catches as opposed to Hester would indeed improve the overall receiving game. I even believe that Knox and Bennett getting more looks will improve the game, especially with one full year under their belts.

I know there was a post somewhere where I actually disproved that Hester was the #1 receiver. I think the only stat he led was YPG. And it was 4 not 3 games that he missed. And being "on pace" versus actually making a 1,000 yards are two different things.

Hester led all of our receivers in yards per catch, yards per target, and catch percentage, which are the three best indicators of a wide receiver's performance. Yards per target is particularly important, since it includes both how likely a receiver is to catch the ball and how much yardage he'll gain if he does. More on that in a minute.

Ironically I find it funny that you compare Boldin - who you say is injury prone to Hester who was...injured for those 4 games. But, as I proved in my earlier post, Boldin still outproduced Hester, and he's a #2.

Hester missed 3 games (according to nfl.com) this year with a strained calf and played through a dinged-up shoulder. Boldin has played a full season just twice in his 7-year career, and the most recent one was 2006. Not really the same thing. Also, Boldin is a #2 because his team has Larry Fitzgerald. If Angelo can swing a trade for Fitz, then I'll agree with you that Hester's our #2 receiver.

Aromashadu did more overall with less time (9 games) and PROBABLY would have been even more meaningful to the team had Cutler been able to get him in the rotation sooner. Thusly, having someone like Aromashodu get more "looks" or catches as opposed to Hester would indeed improve the overall receiving game. I even believe that Knox and Bennett getting more looks will improve the game, especially with one full year under their belts.

How do you figure Aromashodu did more with less? When you look at what he did with the passes that went his way, he did less than Hester by every measure: fewer yards per catch, much lower percentage of passes caught, and way, way fewer yards per target. Here are the two guys side-by-side:

Hester: 91 targets, 57 catches, 757 yards, 3 TDs

Aromashodu: 43 targets, 24 catches, 298 yards, 4 TDs

Hester caught 62.6% of the passes thrown to him. Aromashodu? 55.8%. Hester averaged 13.3 yards per catch (which is even more notable since Ron Turner kept calling those stupid screens where he got the ball behind the LOS.) Aromashodu? 12.4 yards per catch. And most importantly, yards-per-target: the average throw to Hester gained 8.32 yards, which is an excellent number for a starting wideout. The average throw to Aromashodu? 6.93 yards. A difference of nearly a yard and a half in their respective YPTs means (by definition) that giving Aromashodu more targets at Hester's expense will make the passing game worse, not better. The same goes for Knox and for Bennett, too.

By way of a comparison, here are some other starting wideouts' per-target numbers:

Anquan Boldin: 128 targets, 85 catches, 1029 yards, 5 TDs:: 12.1 YPC, 66.4% catch rate, 8.04 YPT

Chad Ochocinco: 128 targets, 72 catches, 1047 yards, 9 TDs:: 14.5 YPC, 56.2% catch rate, 8.18 YPT

Roddy White: 165 targets, 85 catches, 1153 yards, 11 TDs:: 13.6 YPC, 51.5% catch rate, 6.99 YPT

Brandon Marshall: 154 targets, 101 catches, 1120 yards, 10 TDs:: 11.1 YPC, 65.6% catch rate, 7.27 YPT

What's the one thing that jumps out about those guys? None of their YPTs are as good as Hester's, but they all got WAY more passes thrown their way than he did, which let them put up more total yards, scores, etc. I think we need to see what Hester can do when he gets 120-150 passes thrown his way before we start sayin he's not a #1 receiver.

Sorry, but the one thing that jumps out at my regarding Hester is lack of knowledge. He was running wrong routes and very rarely did anything to help the QB out. His successes were of a pure planned nature.

He got yards, but he also caused turnovers and forced punts due to not helping the QB.

Being the best WR on a lousy group of WR's doe not make one a "#1 receiver". Stats or not. It's more than stats. It's savvy. It's catching the big pass at the crucial moment. it's helping your QB out when he's in trouble. And it's not making probalems for your QB...

He's a great 3rd/4th.

What's the one thing that jumps out about those guys?

Sorry, but the one thing that jumps out at my regarding Hester is lack of knowledge. He was running wrong routes and very rarely did anything to help the QB out. His successes were of a pure planned nature.

He got yards, but he also caused turnovers and forced punts due to not helping the QB.

I think route-running has gotten to be sort of a phantom issue with Hester. His first year at WR, he had real problems with his routes, no doubt. I didn't see those problems to nearly the same extent this year. Most of the time, he was running the right route and running it correctly. Is he the most polished receiver in the world? Not by a long shot. But he's good enough.

Also, what receiver's successes aren't mainly of a "pure planned nature"? Are you suggesting that Andre Johnson just goes out there and freelances? The media played up the issue with the scramble rules, but you're making it sound like that's what separates the wheat from the chaff among receivers. I'd much rather have a guy who can consistently separate and make catches than a guy who can't, but knows exactly what to do when the play breaks down. Same goes for fighting DBs for the ball: yeah, it helps the quarterback, but it's far from the most important thing in a receiver's toolkit.

Being the best WR on a lousy group of WR's doe not make one a "#1 receiver". Stats or not. It's more than stats. It's savvy. It's catching the big pass at the crucial moment. it's helping your QB out when he's in trouble. And it's not making probalems for your QB...

I disagree. I hate to sound like a broken record, but if Hester had gotten as many passes thrown his way as any of the guys on that list, he'd have at least 80 catches and well over 1000 yards receiving, and I doubt any of us would be having this conversation about whether he's a #1 or not.

He's a great 3rd/4th.

OK, but he's not OUR 3rd/4th. He's our #1. Because we don't have anyone better. Saying that Hester's a "#3 receiver" makes it sound like we'd be better off bumping him down to #3 on the depth chart. By the numbers, we wouldn't...we'd be worse. Now, if you're saying that we would be better off if we could go get two or three new receivers who are better than Hester, of course we would. I mean, the Patriots would be better off if they had two or three receivers better than Randy Moss. Does that mean Randy Moss isn't their #1 receiver? Same goes for Hester, though he's no Randy Moss by a long shot. But that's all sort of beside the point, since we don't have draft picks or trade bait to get those receivers.

My point is basically this: the term "#1 receiver" doesn't mean anything when it's used in the way you're using it. It's a term that ESPN talking heads like to throw around, because you can debate who's a #1 and who's not ad nauseam, and nobody will ever be right or wrong, since it's such a nebulous category. The only way you can make it a term with some concrete meaning is to say "a #1 receiver is the guy who's the best on his team." So saying "Hester's not a #1" basically just means "he wouldn't be a #1 on teams with at least one better receiver." OK, fine. Forte wouldn't be a #1 running back on the Panthers. Peanut wouldn't be a #1 corner on the Raiders or the Jets. Cutler wouldn't be a #1 QB on the Colts. Those guys are all OUR #1s, though, and so is Hester.

1. What exactly do you mean by him being "good enough" of a route runner? Better, yes. Good enough given the lack of WR skill on the team? I saw many mistakes this past season. Less than the previous, but still too much.

2. Much of a WR's success is planned. However, what seperates the great or really good from good is that they do more. They do some impromptu theater. Not every play goes as planned. And when the WR is running his route as normal when the D is doing something else, it hinders.

3. I still think you're looking at pure stats (which do not always paint a true picture) instead of down distance,etc. It's great to mass up yards. But unless you converting 1sts, scoring, and not causing tunrovers due to poor communication,etc...it's only numbers.

4. Yes, I think bumping him down the charts is what's needed. DA should be #1. Bennett #2, and Devin 3. Just my thoughts. I think you obviously differ.

5. I use the terms the so called experts use. We may not even have a #1 WR on our roster. We do have a #1. We do have a #1 CD in Tillman. We may have a #1 RB in Forte assuming last year he was hurt and comes back from it. I just don't think we do at WR. Could Hester be used? yes! But not in replacement of Reggie Wayne...

I think route-running has gotten to be sort of a phantom issue with Hester. His first year at WR, he had real problems with his routes, no doubt. I didn't see those problems to nearly the same extent this year. Most of the time, he was running the right route and running it correctly. Is he the most polished receiver in the world? Not by a long shot. But he's good enough.

Also, what receiver's successes aren't mainly of a "pure planned nature"? Are you suggesting that Andre Johnson just goes out there and freelances? The media played up the issue with the scramble rules, but you're making it sound like that's what separates the wheat from the chaff among receivers. I'd much rather have a guy who can consistently separate and make catches than a guy who can't, but knows exactly what to do when the play breaks down. Same goes for fighting DBs for the ball: yeah, it helps the quarterback, but it's far from the most important thing in a receiver's toolkit.

I disagree. I hate to sound like a broken record, but if Hester had gotten as many passes thrown his way as any of the guys on that list, he'd have at least 80 catches and well over 1000 yards receiving, and I doubt any of us would be having this conversation about whether he's a #1 or not.

OK, but he's not OUR 3rd/4th. He's our #1. Because we don't have anyone better. Saying that Hester's a "#3 receiver" makes it sound like we'd be better off bumping him down to #3 on the depth chart. By the numbers, we wouldn't...we'd be worse. Now, if you're saying that we would be better off if we could go get two or three new receivers who are better than Hester, of course we would. I mean, the Patriots would be better off if they had two or three receivers better than Randy Moss. Does that mean Randy Moss isn't their #1 receiver? Same goes for Hester, though he's no Randy Moss by a long shot. But that's all sort of beside the point, since we don't have draft picks or trade bait to get those receivers.

My point is basically this: the term "#1 receiver" doesn't mean anything when it's used in the way you're using it. It's a term that ESPN talking heads like to throw around, because you can debate who's a #1 and who's not ad nauseam, and nobody will ever be right or wrong, since it's such a nebulous category. The only way you can make it a term with some concrete meaning is to say "a #1 receiver is the guy who's the best on his team." So saying "Hester's not a #1" basically just means "he wouldn't be a #1 on teams with at least one better receiver." OK, fine. Forte wouldn't be a #1 running back on the Panthers. Peanut wouldn't be a #1 corner on the Raiders or the Jets. Cutler wouldn't be a #1 QB on the Colts. Those guys are all OUR #1s, though, and so is Hester.

My thing with Hester is, I just do not believe enough fans realize the learning curve. The kids was a freaking DB just a couple years ago. He was a part time WR in college. While most young WRs enter the NFL and have to adjust to NFL speed, learn playbooks and such, Hester had to learn a new position, while also doing all that. Simply put, his learning curve was greater, yet fans expected him to immediately be as great of a WR as he was a returner, and that just was never realistic. The key for me is he has continued to show improvement.

Will he ever be a #1, the way media or FF owners think about a #1. Maybe not. But he doesn't have to be.

For so many, it seems like Hester has to either be Steve Smith or he is a bust, and I just don't get it. He could be a great #3, as you mention. If opposite a better #1, he could also be a great #2. I'll say this. I have seen enough development that I sure don't want to just give up on the kid.

1. What exactly do you mean by him being "good enough" of a route runner? Better, yes. Good enough given the lack of WR skill on the team? I saw many mistakes this past season. Less than the previous, but still too much.

2. Much of a WR's success is planned. However, what seperates the great or really good from good is that they do more. They do some impromptu theater. Not every play goes as planned. And when the WR is running his route as normal when the D is doing something else, it hinders.

3. I still think you're looking at pure stats (which do not always paint a true picture) instead of down distance,etc. It's great to mass up yards. But unless you converting 1sts, scoring, and not causing tunrovers due to poor communication,etc...it's only numbers.

4. Yes, I think bumping him down the charts is what's needed. DA should be #1. Bennett #2, and Devin 3. Just my thoughts. I think you obviously differ.

5. I use the terms the so called experts use. We may not even have a #1 WR on our roster. We do have a #1. We do have a #1 CD in Tillman. We may have a #1 RB in Forte assuming last year he was hurt and comes back from it. I just don't think we do at WR. Could Hester be used? yes! But not in replacement of Reggie Wayne...

I hear ya...

My thing with Hester is, I just do not believe enough fans realize the learning curve. The kids was a freaking DB just a couple years ago. He was a part time WR in college. While most young WRs enter the NFL and have to adjust to NFL speed, learn playbooks and such, Hester had to learn a new position, while also doing all that. Simply put, his learning curve was greater, yet fans expected him to immediately be as great of a WR as he was a returner, and that just was never realistic. The key for me is he has continued to show improvement.

Will he ever be a #1, the way media or FF owners think about a #1. Maybe not. But he doesn't have to be.

For so many, it seems like Hester has to either be Steve Smith or he is a bust, and I just don't get it. He could be a great #3, as you mention. If opposite a better #1, he could also be a great #2. I'll say this. I have seen enough development that I sure don't want to just give up on the kid.