The Martz Factor

adam

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=34689

It's not very often that a simple offensive coordinator hire can change the entire fantasy outlook of a team. Mike Martz is just that special.

First of all, let's note that Martz wasn't anywhere near the Bears' first choice. Will that affect how much power he has over the offense? I doubt it.

Head coach Lovie Smith used to say the Bears "get off the bus running." That's not going to fly with Martz, known as one of the most strong-minded coaches in the game. While Martz will adjust to the weather and the shoddy grass at Soldier Field, he will remain a pass-first kind of play caller. It's in his blood.

Here's a look at what is on Martz's resume:

* Rams 1999 (offensive coordinator): The year before Martz arrived in St. Louis (1998), the Rams ranked 27th in total offense at 279.5 yards per game. In 1999, they ranked first in total offense at 400.8 yards per game. Kurt Warner was the No. 1 fantasy QB that year. Marshall Faulk was the No. 2 fantasy RB, Isaac Bruce was the No. 6 fantasy WR and Roland Williams was the No. 13 fantasy TE.

* Rams 2003 (head coach): In his first full season without Warner as his starter, Martz showed that his system works with other quarterbacks. The Rams ranked ninth in total offense at 341.1 yards per game. Marc Bulger was the No. 7 fantasy QB. Marshall Faulk was the No. 16 fantasy RB even though he only played in 11 games. Torry Holt was the No. 2 fantasy WR and Isaac Bruce was the No. 18 fantasy WR.

* Lions 2006 (offensive coordinator): In a stunt of David Copperfield proportions, Martz turned Jon Kitna into a fantasy stud. In his first year under Martz, Kitna broke the 4,000 yard mark for the first time in his career and finished up as the No. 6 fantasy QB. Roy Williams, now exposed as a below average receiver in Dallas, was the No. 10 fantasy WR.

I could keep listing examples of Martz turning water into wine, but you get the point. The guy makes good players elite fantasy options and mediocre players solid in fantasy.

More thru the link.

Devin Aromashodu is going to be a pro bowler next year; more than likely he gets over 1,000 yards but I still don't think the Bears make the playoffs..

I really think it is bang or bust. Either we go 12-4 and make the playoffs, or crash and burn and go 5-11.