Great Interview

bowlingtwig

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting interview.

Couple things I took away from this:

Hester - Martz flat out said he envisions Hester playing the nickel, and compared him to how he used Az-Hakim. He said in that role, Hester could be "stupid-good". I am really on board w/ this move. IMHO, Hester never should have been eleveated to a starting role, but less that of our #1 WR (first look). That isn't his fault, but the fault of our staff for their inability to add more talent and develop talent they had. Hester, IMHO, will be moving back into a role he is best suited for. Martz talked about Hester matching up against defenses #3 DB or even LBs, and the mismatches that can create. Hester's pure numbers could actually dip, but his effectiveness could dramatically increase.

DA - He was asked about the other Devin, and his first comment was speed. Its funny how DA is so well known for being the tallest receiver we have, but he is also a damn fast one too. He may not be Brandon Marshall, but he brings a similar skill set as he has both size and speed.

Martz overall gushed about the WR position saying the position as a whole is a diamond in the rough. Players may not be as "established" but have so much talent and potential as to create a major attack. IMHO, his comments left little doubt in my mind that WR is way down on our list of offseason plans.

Olsen - I was not thrilled at all w/ this aspect of the interview. Martz flat out said a TE first lines up on the LOS and has to block, and then can run routes and be a receiving weapon. I actually found it funny that Martz talked about Olsen's blocking ability. Has he watched film. Martz when so far as to say that if a TE can't block, you may as well lineup an extra WR. I think this begs the question of what happens when Olsen starts whiffing on blocks, as we have all seen. Will Martz continue to plug in Olsen, even if he can't block. Will he bench Olsen in favor of a TE like Clark, who is a more effective blocker? Will he use Olsen more from a WR position/role? I don't know what is going to happen, but listening to this interview gave me zero confidence in the future of Olsen. As much as I liked what he said about the WR, I dislikes his comments on our TE.

Run game - He said what I have always heard him say. It isn't about how many times you run the ball, but how effective you run it. That is such a contrast to the old mentality of just plugging away until good things happen. Still a big worry of mine. He talked about how a 10, 12, 15 yard run makes a defense stack the box, but what happens when Forte is running for 3 yards. Does he abandon the run all together? There are fans here who have no problem becoming a pass happy team after so many years of boring offenses, but I just don't see how that plays out in Chicago. When the elements get bad, you simply have to be ready to pound the ball. Also, as mentioned in another thread, I fear what happens w/ our TOP if we get pass happy, and we simply don't have a defense to compensate for a bad TOP.

One thing not discussed, and I wish it was, is the OL. I would have liked to hear them ask him about the OL, and ask what he might do to compensate "if" the OL is not playing well, as it has not for the last couple years.

Final note. If ever I had a reason to dislike Martz, his final piece of the interview solidified it for me. He said he is a lifelong Cub fan.

Mike Martz was on the the SCORE today and I thought it was a great interview. Makes me think that we are moving Devin back returner and as a slot receiver more less.

http://bit.ly/aHUBCg

The thing I hear a lot from Martz with regards to his playcalling and his run and pass tendencies is that he calls a game, not to be balanced, but to get wins. Everyone seems to love this answer and doesn't ask the logical follow up "Well what happened in Det and SF?" He didn't get the wins.

I just hope that he has learned from his experiences in Det and SF. Getting a quarterback sacked 60 times and throwing 25+ picks is not going to translate into wins, IMO.

I fear that his ego is going to get in the way, but I hope it will not. I like the fact that he will actually get in Cutler and friends butts if they are not getting the job done and hope that will be the case here.

I think I have some of the same fears as you, nfo, but I am hoping that Martz understands that this might be his last shot at an NFL gig so he actually has to get some wins and not just make Cutler into a top notch FF qb.

We shall see....

Don't get me wrong. If we are going to talk about "hope", well, I hope w/o question that Martz can make all our dreams come true.

At the same time, I just need more reason to believe.

You are not the first I have read/heard say, "I hope he has learned from past mistakes" or "last shot..." But,

He lost his HC job in Stl, and had to take a step back. That demotion didn't seem to effect his thinking at all, and he (a) continued to run the same system, regardless of how much he got the QB killed and (B) he fought w/ his HC regarding his scheme, which I believe was the "rift" between he and Marinelli.

So he is fired from Det, and moves on to SF. Still no HC job, and again settles for an OC gig. Many would then likely argue he was in a situation where his star had faded and he needed to come to grips with reality, so to speak, but that didn't seem to happen. Once again he is fighting w/ his HC (Singletary) over how to run the offense. As I recall, Singletary wanted to emphasize the run more, and Martz essentially refused. So once again, he is out of a job.

Frankly, while some hope he checks he ego and learns from the past, I fear it will be even worse now. Marinelli and Martz are more the sort of HCs to involved themselves in how the offense is run, even though both are defensive background coaches. That is simply more their style. Lovie is far more of a hands of HC when it comes to the offense. Then factor in the friendship factor. I think Martz is going to have more freedom than he has had since his demotion. He will essentially be a HC#2 on our team, with less restrictions than he has had since losing his HC job in Stl. Thus, I fear we will not see a more humbled version of Martz, but an even greater ego version of Martz.

As I have said before, I can see us racking up better passing yardage, but at the expense of the ground game. I see a lot more QB sacks, and a continued high number of turnovers. I also see a poor TOP, and team losses. When a reporter dares to question the offense, and how it has factored into the loss, I do not see Martz saying, "my bad" but essentially becoming even more defiant.

The thing I hear a lot from Martz with regards to his playcalling and his run and pass tendencies is that he calls a game, not to be balanced, but to get wins. Everyone seems to love this answer and doesn't ask the logical follow up "Well what happened in Det and SF?" He didn't get the wins.

I just hope that he has learned from his experiences in Det and SF. Getting a quarterback sacked 60 times and throwing 25+ picks is not going to translate into wins, IMO.

I fear that his ego is going to get in the way, but I hope it will not. I like the fact that he will actually get in Cutler and friends butts if they are not getting the job done and hope that will be the case here.

I think I have some of the same fears as you, nfo, but I am hoping that Martz understands that this might be his last shot at an NFL gig so he actually has to get some wins and not just make Cutler into a top notch FF qb.

We shall see....

I totally agree with his take on Olsen. If a TE can't block, he has 3 options, 1) Learn how to effectively block 2) If you have the speed, become a wide receiver 3) Chose another career.

Olsen needs to learn how to block and if he can't do that, I don't really care who takes his place. So far, his career has been underwhelming. It's time he earns his spot in the lineup or gets the hell outta the way.

Yeah, I kind of got out of this that if Olsen can't block, he'd be moved to WR...

I totally agree with his take on Olsen. If a TE can't block, he has 3 options, 1) Learn how to effectively block 2) If you have the speed, become a wide receiver 3) Chose another career.

Olsen needs to learn how to block and if he can't do that, I don't really care who takes his place. So far, his career has been underwhelming. It's time he earns his spot in the lineup or gets the hell outta the way.

So I guess Antonio Gates would never have found a role in your offense? Isn't Tony Gonzalez a below average blocker too?

Yes, I agree we need to continue to work on his blocking. At the same time, I don't think you can simply dismiss his receiving potential just because he can't block.

So I guess Antonio Gates would never have found a role in your offense? Isn't Tony Gonzalez a below average blocker too?

Yes, I agree we need to continue to work on his blocking. At the same time, I don't think you can simply dismiss his receiving potential just because he can't block.

There are rumors on ESPN that the Bears might look to move Olsen for one of the Patriots 2nd rounders.....

Interesting.....

We shall see....

What happened in Detroit? The team was terrible. That's what happened. The minute he left the team, they became the first 0-16 team in history. Let's also not ignore the fact that they were 30th and 32nd in defense during the Martz years.

In San Francisco, it's essentially a team not living up to their potential. And their defenses have not been good (23rd when Martz was there with two bums [shaun Hill and O'Sullivan at QB]).

One, I have to question that rumor as it would seem to fly in the face of the sort of TE NE likes. NE likes TEs that can block as well, and even though they have had considerable talent at times, have never really seemed to utilize the TE position that much. I can't see them sending a 2nd for such a player, especially w/ their team seeming to have several new holes which have sprung up.

Two, I would not be for the move regardless. W/ Mike Martz as the OC, there is plenty of reason to question how Olsen will be utilized. However, I shudder to think of the possibility of Martz being here for one year, as most expect, only for us to then hire an OC that does require a talented TE. I would be absolutely sick if we traded Olsen now, due in part to Martz, and then hired someone like Chud a year from now, who could potentially have done worders for Olsen.

I don't like the move because it is short sighted, IMHO. Also, while I like our WRs, they are still young and unproven. I am not saying Olsen is proven, but he is a veteran in comparison to some. Further, when you get right down to it, he is probably still today our most gifted receiver on the roster. There is a reason this past year defenses not only game planned, but used their top CBs on Olsen.

Does everyone realize how unusual this is? Do you all realize how few TEs force defenses to roll their #1 CB over to them. Yes, you see it, but only the elite TEs usually require such a matchup. That Olsen drew such coverage speaks loudly as to his ability, reputation within the defensive coaching community, and yes, also speaks to the lack of respect for our WRs.

Regardless, I don't see the value in giving up on Olsen right now. And frankly, I don't trust our current staff to make any moves that considers the future of this franchise. I really hope ownership puts the brakes on any deals that would impact the future of the team. A coach should always be looking at this season. The GM should be looking beyond, but as our GM may well be on a one year lease also, we need to have some check and balance on him to prevent his hurting the franchise for years to come.

There are rumors on ESPN that the Bears might look to move Olsen for one of the Patriots 2nd rounders.....

Interesting.....

What happened in Detroit? The team was terrible. That's what happened. The minute he left the team, they became the first 0-16 team in history. Let's also not ignore the fact that they were 30th and 32nd in defense during the Martz years.

In San Francisco, it's essentially a team not living up to their potential. And their defenses have not been good (23rd when Martz was there with two bums [shaun Hill and O'Sullivan at QB]).

Well Martz is quoted as saying he calls plays to win games. So if he knows that the defense is the worst, shouldn't he want to keep the defense off the field and cut down sacks and turnovers to keep the ball in the offenses hands. Giving up 60 sacks and bunches of turnovers with a crappy defense makes me worry about what is to come here.

Again, we shall see...

One, I have to question that rumor as it would seem to fly in the face of the sort of TE NE likes. NE likes TEs that can block as well, and even though they have had considerable talent at times, have never really seemed to utilize the TE position that much. I can't see them sending a 2nd for such a player, especially w/ their team seeming to have several new holes which have sprung up.

Two, I would not be for the move regardless. W/ Mike Martz as the OC, there is plenty of reason to question how Olsen will be utilized. However, I shudder to think of the possibility of Martz being here for one year, as most expect, only for us to then hire an OC that does require a talented TE. I would be absolutely sick if we traded Olsen now, due in part to Martz, and then hired someone like Chud a year from now, who could potentially have done worders for Olsen.

I don't like the move because it is short sighted, IMHO. Also, while I like our WRs, they are still young and unproven. I am not saying Olsen is proven, but he is a veteran in comparison to some. Further, when you get right down to it, he is probably still today our most gifted receiver on the roster. There is a reason this past year defenses not only game planned, but used their top CBs on Olsen.

Does everyone realize how unusual this is? Do you all realize how few TEs force defenses to roll their #1 CB over to them. Yes, you see it, but only the elite TEs usually require such a matchup. That Olsen drew such coverage speaks loudly as to his ability, reputation within the defensive coaching community, and yes, also speaks to the lack of respect for our WRs.

Regardless, I don't see the value in giving up on Olsen right now. And frankly, I don't trust our current staff to make any moves that considers the future of this franchise. I really hope ownership puts the brakes on any deals that would impact the future of the team. A coach should always be looking at this season. The GM should be looking beyond, but as our GM may well be on a one year lease also, we need to have some check and balance on him to prevent his hurting the franchise for years to come.

I really go back and forth on Olsen. I guess it comes down to if you are going to be a crappy blocker then you need to be an all pro receiving TE. To me, Olsen really doesn't give you an advantage in jump balls or balls thrown to him in close coverage as he should. I think the fact that teams roll their #1 cb to Olsen speaks more to our lack of WR threats then Olsen's skill.

It just sucks that we dont have a 1st or 2nd rounder...

For a 1st rd TE, He also doesn't catch as well as he should and he is not a real physical player. Gates and Gonzalez BOTH would eat his lunch right now.

One thing not discussed, and I wish it was, is the OL. I would have liked to hear them ask him about the OL, and ask what he might do to compensate "if" the OL is not playing well, as it has not for the last couple years.

From an article on the Bears Official Website giving Q&A with MM :

LM: What are your impressions of the Bears offensive line?

MM: Chris Williams at left tackle is worth getting excited about. [New line coach] Mike [Tice] will do a terrific job with him over there getting him settled. The rest of the group is going to fall into place. We’ve got the best guy in the world working with them. I have complete confidence in that; that the quarterback will be protected and we’ll run the ball very effectively. This line is potentially a better group than I’ve had in many years. For us it all starts in the offensive line. That’s the center of the universe in football for any team. It keeps the defense off the field and allows you to do what you want on offense.

I hear you on Olsen. I see him as maybe our most talent receiver, when it comes to raw ability, and yet at the same time, maybe the most frustrating. As you mention, he doesn't do well on jump balls. I heard someone in the media comment that despite his height, he plays much smaller. He is what, 6'4, yet struggles to out-jump DBs who are 4, 5 and 6 inches shorter.

Part of the thing for me though is this. Have we really utilized him? When we do work him downfield, he seems to do a good job as he is a tough matchup, yet w/ our OL, we were not often able to send him deep. You look at the stud TEs. They can work downfield, in part, because they play on teams w/ OLs able to protect the QB long enough to do so. Due to our OL, we simply have not been able to utilize Olsen the way we would need for him to become a stud TE.

Another factor for me is Tice. Everyone has talked about his role working w/ the OL, but Tice is also considered a great mentor of Tes, and I wonder if he can't help Olsen here as well.

In the end, part of the reason I don't want to trade Olsen is the belief that more than most, he could become a great player for another team, and that would just piss me off.

I really go back and forth on Olsen. I guess it comes down to if you are going to be a crappy blocker then you need to be an all pro receiving TE. To me, Olsen really doesn't give you an advantage in jump balls or balls thrown to him in close coverage as he should. I think the fact that teams roll their #1 cb to Olsen speaks more to our lack of WR threats then Olsen's skill.

It just sucks that we dont have a 1st or 2nd rounder...

I generally agree.

In fact, I only see us getting fleeced on trading him. The question would be to get what?

Trade him to get Boldin? Yeah, I'd probably do it. Or at least seriously consider. Becasue I like Kellen and Dez. But for a lower draft pick JA will probably squander, I'm not interested in the least.

Olsen hasn't lived up to potential. Yet. I wonder, like you, with better coaching, can he reach that? Just not sure if that "better staff" is in place now...or later.

I hear you on Olsen. I see him as maybe our most talent receiver, when it comes to raw ability, and yet at the same time, maybe the most frustrating. As you mention, he doesn't do well on jump balls. I heard someone in the media comment that despite his height, he plays much smaller. He is what, 6'4, yet struggles to out-jump DBs who are 4, 5 and 6 inches shorter.

Part of the thing for me though is this. Have we really utilized him? When we do work him downfield, he seems to do a good job as he is a tough matchup, yet w/ our OL, we were not often able to send him deep. You look at the stud TEs. They can work downfield, in part, because they play on teams w/ OLs able to protect the QB long enough to do so. Due to our OL, we simply have not been able to utilize Olsen the way we would need for him to become a stud TE.

Another factor for me is Tice. Everyone has talked about his role working w/ the OL, but Tice is also considered a great mentor of Tes, and I wonder if he can't help Olsen here as well.

In the end, part of the reason I don't want to trade Olsen is the belief that more than most, he could become a great player for another team, and that would just piss me off.

Have we utilized him? Cutler is in love with him and tried to go to him all the time, yet he really failed to get seperation and quite often failed to make the appropriate catches. He improved late in the season but Olsen is about as over-rated as it gets. Yes, he's physically talented and I enjoy having him on our team, but a 2nd round pick would be very valuable given our current situation (no 1st or 2nd) and yes...I'd give up Olsen for that.

I agree.

You tack in the veteran skills of Clark, and the potnetial of Davis, and losing Olsen doesn't appear as harsh as it would appear. Clark won't be around long, but I do like what I've seen out of Davis.

Have we utilized him? Cutler is in love with him and tried to go to him all the time, yet he really failed to get seperation and quite often failed to make the appropriate catches. He improved late in the season but Olsen is about as over-rated as it gets. Yes, he's physically talented and I enjoy having him on our team, but a 2nd round pick would be very valuable given our current situation (no 1st or 2nd) and yes...I'd give up Olsen for that.

Just because Cutler loved him doesn't mean we utilized him. Cutler loved DA and he couldn't even get on the field.

When I say "utilized him" I don't just mean putting him out there, or even just throwing him the ball. I mean using him in a way that matches his strengths. When he was drafted, we heard so much about his speed and athleticism and how he could stretch the field, yet in our offense, he was really little more than a short yardage safety valve for Cutler.

More than half of his catches were inside 10 yards. A whopping 3 catches for more than 20 yards. Sure, he may have had some drops or something, but I think these stats do really reflect how he was used.

If you have Randy Moss, and only run him on short routes, are you utilizing him? If you have Bobby Engram (in his prime) and have him run tons of downfield go routes, are you utilizing him? Just because Olsen was out there doesn't mean we best utilized him.

You say he is as over-rated as you get, but he was still a top 10 TE in catches and top 5 in scores. Not bad for a TE who can't really even run downfield routes due to an OL that can't hold a block more than 3 seconds.

Interesting how Olsen improve later in the season as our WR improved. In the first game the Packers often lined up Charles Woodson over Olsen and he eventually went on to win Defensive Player of the Year. In their mind he was our most dangerous WR at that time. I think in the second game late in the year they played us differently.

Olsen didn't live up to our hype last year but there were a lot of obstacles thrown in the way too from Forte's injury, poor Oline blocking especially early in the year, rookie WR having to play early (Knox).

You sure about the 2nd GB game. I was pretty sure Woodson played Olsen again in that 2nd game.

Olsen did not live up to the hype, but it kills me that any would put that all on him. In order for Olsen to live up to the hype, he had to become a playmaking TE, and that means big plays downfield. Well, when the OL does not protect long enough for Olsen to run downfield routes, how can he be faulted for not becoming the playmaker?

I am not saying Olsen isn't in need of developing more, but I just don't understand how you can blame a guy for not becoming a big play playmaker when he is not game planned to run downfield routes. Gotta say this. Especially later in the year, he was making some huge catches. No, not 50 yards downfield, but 3rd down catches on game ending drives to keep the drives alive.

Interesting how Olsen improve later in the season as our WR improved. In the first game the Packers often lined up Charles Woodson over Olsen and he eventually went on to win Defensive Player of the Year. In their mind he was our most dangerous WR at that time. I think in the second game late in the year they played us differently.

Olsen didn't live up to our hype last year but there were a lot of obstacles thrown in the way too from Forte's injury, poor Oline blocking especially early in the year, rookie WR having to play early (Knox).