Great Interview

bowlingtwig

Guest TerraTor
Interesting how Olsen improve later in the season as our WR improved. In the first game the Packers often lined up Charles Woodson over Olsen and he eventually went on to win Defensive Player of the Year. In their mind he was our most dangerous WR at that time. I think in the second game late in the year they played us differently.

Olsen didn't live up to our hype last year but there were a lot of obstacles thrown in the way too from Forte's injury, poor Oline blocking especially early in the year, rookie WR having to play early (Knox).

Im with you there. Far as i can tell Olsen is probably our best threat. if DA can be anywhere near what he was like the last two games, it would work for me.

Guest TerraTor
I totally agree with his take on Olsen. If a TE can't block, he has 3 options, 1) Learn how to effectively block 2) If you have the speed, become a wide receiver 3) Chose another career.

Olsen needs to learn how to block and if he can't do that, I don't really care who takes his place. So far, his career has been underwhelming. It's time he earns his spot in the lineup or gets the hell outta the way.

We keep lineman who cant block so whats the difference

No way, sorry with Desomnd Clark on his way out you cant trade a 25yo TE with his talent for a pick. We dont have enough fire power to get into 1st anyway

Yeah, I totally agree. Olsen should have a long career ahead of him, and he has the talent to be a very good, maybe even elite receiving TE. Trading him away would be robbing Peter to pay Paul: whatever step forward we could take at another position with the pick, we'd almost certainly take an equally big step backward at TE.

This is one thing that worries me. Olsen is just an example. Angelo and Lovie are in a must win now situation. If they don't win, they are gone. That is not really so new for Lovie, as coaches are always under such pressure, but the GM is supposed to be thinking about the future as much as the present. But we have a GM who is in the same situation as the coach.

That is why, as posteres talk about trading this player or that player, I really am not sure it is a good idea. Take Olsen. Why does everyone want to trade him? If we brought in a coach like Chud, how many of those who now want to trade Olsen would instead be talking about how great Olsen could be under Chud?

That is what I want to avoid. Making a ton of moves based solely on this coaching staff. Anything can happin, sure. But I think the safer bet is that our current group of coaches will be gone sooner rather than later. How sick would we be if we did trade Olsen, only to see Martz gone after the year, and then we bring in a coach who utilizes the TE.

We have to be careful about making too many short-sighted moves. Trading Olsen would, IMHO, be a very short-sighted move.

Yeah, I totally agree. Olsen should have a long career ahead of him, and he has the talent to be a very good, maybe even elite receiving TE. Trading him away would be robbing Peter to pay Paul: whatever step forward we could take at another position with the pick, we'd almost certainly take an equally big step backward at TE.

This is one thing that worries me. Olsen is just an example. Angelo and Lovie are in a must win now situation. If they don't win, they are gone. That is not really so new for Lovie, as coaches are always under such pressure, but the GM is supposed to be thinking about the future as much as the present. But we have a GM who is in the same situation as the coach.

That is why, as posteres talk about trading this player or that player, I really am not sure it is a good idea. Take Olsen. Why does everyone want to trade him? If we brought in a coach like Chud, how many of those who now want to trade Olsen would instead be talking about how great Olsen could be under Chud?

That is what I want to avoid. Making a ton of moves based solely on this coaching staff. Anything can happin, sure. But I think the safer bet is that our current group of coaches will be gone sooner rather than later. How sick would we be if we did trade Olsen, only to see Martz gone after the year, and then we bring in a coach who utilizes the TE.

We have to be careful about making too many short-sighted moves. Trading Olsen would, IMHO, be a very short-sighted move.

Let's hope Phillips told them they have to win with what they got. They can make some minor changes but they cannot trade future picks or players of value (i.e. Olsen).

Peace :dabears