To trade or not to trade,That is the question

Wesson44

You were a big fan of the Cutler trade. QB was far from a gaping hole when it was made. This is less 2 less first round picks for as much of an upgrade at WR as Cutler was at QB.

One, sorry, but QB is an exception to most every rule, especially when talking about a "franchise QB"

Two, QB being "far from a gaping hole" is your opinion. I am not looking to get into a big Orton debate here, but many would argue QB was a sizable hole, including Angelo who declared QB a top priority at the end of the season.

Secondly, how much did last years 3rd round picks do for the Bears? A 3rd is a 3rd, even if it is your top pick.

Disagree w/ the idea that a 3rd is a 3rd, even if it is your top pick. If it is your top pick, it has a very different meaning. If you have already drafted 1st and 2nd round picks, you can take more risk on a 3rd, or go after a player in the 3rd who is raw and needing more developing. On the other hand, if your 3rd is your top pick, then you need to be looking for an immediate contributor, if not starter.

And I question using last year as an example, as those players have not had much of a chance to prove or disprove their worth. How about some other 3rd rounders for us like Briggs, Berrian and even Bennett, who proved a capable starter this past year. Sure, there are examples that go the other way, but the point is we have found some pretty damn good players in the 3rd.

Not too jump into the middle here but thought I would add the following in NFO's defense. First, I would like to point out that Denver is so thrilled with Orton thus far that they have yet to sign him to an extension and have gone as far as contacting Philly about the availability of McNabb. Orton whom I have nothing against is a nice servicable veteran QB better suited as a backup and make no mistake about it that Kyle is not taking any team to the promised land. While the likes of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are playing; the days of a Trent Dilfer like QB leading a team to the SB have no chance in the QB driven league the NFL is today. There is no realistic chance or hope to go anywhere without a potential franchise QB and that is why I absolutely agree with NFO on this one.

I am not interested in Boldin as he has been injured plenty over the last 2 seasons and I feel he is too risky to trade for and to be honest here I think he is closer to being Edgerin James (washed up) than Brandon Marshall (nearing his prime). Each pick this year is really precious and if I were JA I would take the best player available who can make an immediate impact at these positions of need: OL, FS, CB, DE as there is no margin of error to reach on players this year. We need healthy players with a high floor over having a high ceiling. In other words draft more like Baltimore and bring in good football players not athletic freaks whom may be molded into a football player someday. I suppose anything can happen as the Bears management is in a real desperate position as they must win (playoffs) or else; at least that is what we are hoping for!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too jump into the middle here but thought I would add the following in NFO's defense. First, I would like to point out that Denver is so thrilled with Orton thus far that they have yet to sign him to an extension and have gone as far as contacting Philly about the availability of McNabb. Orton whom I have nothing against is a nice servicable veteran QB better suited as a backup and make no mistake about it that Kyle is not taking any team to the promised land. While the likes of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are playing; the days of a Trent Dilfer like QB leading a team to the SB have no chance in the QB driven league the NFL is today. There is no realistic chance or hope to go anywhere without a potential franchise QB and that is why I absolutely agree with NFO on this one.

While Orton taking a team to the promised land is always debatable. So is the fact that Cutler has never directed a team to a winning record. (College or Pro) Just sayin'...

They let him go because he's unhappy, because Fitz is the best WR in the game, and Breaston is looking quite good as a solid #2. I'm not sure what the Cards will actually accept as a trade, but if it's a 3rd, we should do it. We have no 2nd. And I don't want to mortgage more of our future on it. I have hope the next regime will know how too draft.

You kind of make the case for him... All we have are speedy guys, but not savvy guys. He's a perfect fit. I hate to say it, but every WR drops a few...maybe except the greats like Largent, Rice, Fitz... Boldin isn't a great, he's a very damn good.

I know what Boldin wants. And for the most part, most NFL guys rarely get what they want. But as Mick Jagger said, sometimes they get what they need! He's be paid well enough and I'm sure we can afford it.

I'm ok with keeping Olsen and the 3rd. But I still feel Boldin would be a HUGE help for Cutler and worth the 3rd...

I see the case for both sides. I'm just siding on the one I think will have the best outcome for the franchise long term. You guys feel differently.

I'll take that challenge. First let me start by asking why would a team get rid of a player of the caliber you believe him to be for just a 3rd Rd pick? Why would they do it for just a 2nd Rd pick? Last year the Cardinals wanted a 1st Rd pick for Boldin but in large part that was because they weren't confident in Early Doucet. This past season when Boldin was hurt (again I might add because he's only had 1 full season in his career) Doucet stepped up in a big way in the playoffs and he was pretty good. That's two years in a row he couldn't play in the playoffs.

If we trade for Boldin you will get a player who plays the game the right way but also one whose body is feeling the effects of that. He is nowhere near as fast as any of our current WR and he has trouble getting separation from DBs. He could still catch passes from Kurt Warner because they are so accurate but I also watched him drop quite a few.

I like the guy but he's only going to add an underneath WR to the roster and we don't need that. Breaston and Fitz typically ran the deeper routes for the Cards. I see no reason to trade for Boldin at all when Greg Olsen can do most of what he does on the field and we've already got him for a lot cheaper. Did I mention Boldin wants $9,000,000/yr? I'll keep the combination of Greg Olsen, 3rd Rd pick, plus $9 mil in FA and come out way ahead of any trade for Boldin.

...and DA, Knox, Olsen, and Hester haven't been injured?

I just think Boldin is between Marshall and James. And he doesn't come with the female-beating gene Marshall has...at least as far as we know.

I am not interested in Boldin as he has been injured plenty over the last 2 seasons and I feel he is too risky to trade for and to be honest here I think he is closer to being Edgerin James (washed up) than Brandon Marshall (nearing his prime). Each pick this year is really precious and if I were JA I would take the best player available who can make an immediate impact at these positions of need: OL, FS, CB, DE as there is no margin of error to reach on players this year. We need healthy players with a high floor over having a high ceiling. In other words draft more like Baltimore and bring in good football players not athletic freaks whom may be molded into a football player someday. I suppose anything can happen as the Bears management is in a real desperate position as they must win (playoffs) or else; at least that is what we are hoping for!

Boldin's a consistent pro bowler, Olsen has been a consistent disappointment. Top 10 whatever. Every single knowledgable fan and commentator have not said anything other than he's been a disappointment. I've not heard that about Boldin... Apple. Orange. Both are fruit, but are quite different nonetheless.

Yes, JA would be making the pick if we got rid o Olsen for a 2nd. But, I thnk that's a chance I'm willing to take in the hope of finding an OL.

Everything else you mention, I can't disagree with, but still feel Boldin is worth it.

Will to send Olsen for a high pick. No less than round 2... And he hasn't shown wnough. Davis and Clark can fill his shoes. It's apples and oranges...

Is it? Whether a 2nd or 3rd, isn't it still Angie making the pick? Olsen has not yet lived up to the hype, but even still is a top 10 TE (top 5 in scoring). Weren't you talking about bird in the hand, or whatever?

I just think the cash situation will work itself out. It's one thing Teddy's good at.

Teddy, and Jim Miller, are excellent at (a) getting money from ownership and (B) working within the cap. This year may be different though, and there are signs of the same in most cities. Owners are getting ready for a lockout, and I am simply not sure we are going to see a big spending spree.

Even if this were not an unusual year, you usually see our team sign one big FA, and then a buch of lesser guys. We are always limited in money, one way or another. This year may be even more so. Either way, I would argue that if we spend huge buck on Boldin, which is what it will take to make him happy, there is little question (in my mind) it will affect how much we have to spend at other positions.

I also have to ask this. Boldin will turn 30 this season. He already has 7 seasons in the NFL, and only two of those seasons did he play a full 16. He is an awesome receiver today, I will not argue, but he is going to be seeking a huge contract, which is going to be quite a few years. How good do you think he will be playing at 32 or 33, which will likely still be in the first part of his contract.

Some receivers can play well after 30, but while 30 may not represent the dropoff point for WRs like RB, it isn't far from it. Do you want to give a 7 year contract to a player who will be 30 this season? He isn't old as dirt by any means, but he is no spring chicken anymore either.

I'm glad you have faith in our cornocopia of WR's...I really don't.

For the record, that faith comes as much from Cutler as our WRs. Before adding Cutler, I had always said we needed to upgrade the WR position. Some will argue, but I viewed Orton as the sort of QB who needed to be surrounded by solid weapons in order to play at a high level. Orton was a QB who needed others to prop him up. Cutler is a QB who props up those around him. For the record, I am not talking OL. Everyone, including Manning, Brady, etc need OL. But rather, I am talking weapons.

There is little question in my mind much of what Knox showed this year was due to having a QB like Cutler. DA finished the season very strong, and again, I credit much to Cutler. So it isn't just that I have faith in our WRs, but faith in our WRs in combination w/ Cutler. If we still had Orton running the show, I would be with you screaming for Boldin.

Jason/Connor,

Well crap, jump in anytime then. I was starting to feel like the sole person who believes we have a solid group of WRs, and that we don't need to go out and get another. Several who were not really high on WR being a need seemed to have altered with rumors that Boldin may be had for a 3rd.

I've taking a pounding, and especially you Jason, I have been expecting some support. Damn men. Put those twinkies down, and put your fingers on the keyboard:)

Exactly. I am happy with the development of our WRs. Please don't mess with it.

Peace :dabears

Sucking up to Connor and Jason only makes you look more desperate! ;)

Jason/Connor,

Well crap, jump in anytime then. I was starting to feel like the sole person who believes we have a solid group of WRs, and that we don't need to go out and get another. Several who were not really high on WR being a need seemed to have altered with rumors that Boldin may be had for a 3rd.

I've taking a pounding, and especially you Jason, I have been expecting some support. Damn men. Put those twinkies down, and put your fingers on the keyboard:)

Jason/Connor,

If you can go out and get a #1 you do it. Otherwise I'm not too interested unless it is a veteran who knows the system and can help our guys without taking much playing time from them (Holt seems to be that guy).

No way should WR be a high priority fix though.

Jason/Connor,

I'm all for sitting pat with the WR and focusing on fixing the OL and DL. If we can imporve those two areas, and a big if, then we are going to excell.

...and DA, Knox, Olsen, and Hester haven't been injured?

I just think Boldin is between Marshall and James. And he doesn't come with the female-beating gene Marshall has...at least as far as we know.

Last I checked neither of those guys were demanding $9mil/yr, even after earning $5mil/yr. We haven't made the playoffs but none of the three you mention pissed off their teammates by being a locker room cancer during the playoffs.

Again, I'll state my position that I like Boldin, he's a good NFL WR, but our 3rd Rd pick and an extra $9mil in FA directed somewhere besides WR will make our team better overall. Last year I'd have been willing to give up a 3rd Rd pick for him but after watching him this last year and seeing our WR I don't see him helping us that much.

Boldin's a consistent pro bowler, Olsen has been a consistent disappointment. Top 10 whatever. Every single knowledgable fan and commentator have not said anything other than he's been a disappointment. I've not heard that about Boldin... Apple. Orange. Both are fruit, but are quite different nonetheless.

Yes, JA would be making the pick if we got rid o Olsen for a 2nd. But, I thnk that's a chance I'm willing to take in the hope of finding an OL.

Everything else you mention, I can't disagree with, but still feel Boldin is worth it.

Now you have:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,135311

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not content to just have a screaming match with the offensive coordinator on the sidelines (which landed him on our list of five least valuable people of Championship Sunday), Anquan Boldin carried his hissy-fit to the Arizona Cardinals postgame celebration, too.

While most of the other Cardinals were still on the field being showered in confetti and picking up their NFC Championship trophy, Boldin had already bolted out of the locker room. The behavior prompted CBS's Mike Freeman to call him a naughty word.

He tried to ruin the Super Bowl celebration with his childishness.

In the game, Boldin got into a heated argument with offensive coordinator Todd Haley. After the game, instead of celebrating with his team, Boldin abruptly left the field, then abruptly left the locker room.

It was awful behavior.

[...] I have to say in nearly 20 years of doing this, I've never seen a player more concerned about his arguing with a coach over making a Super Bowl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 seasons....3 Pro Bowls which by the way is pretty damn good but it doesn't change my opinion of the fact that he's slowing down and isn't the same WR he was a few years ago. I'd be more than happy to have you show up out here and visit with some of my friends and coworkers who are die-hard Cardinal fans so you can hear it from them too but that's not practical. The Cardinals still have 3 (if not 4) quality WR or next year including Boldin but out here with Warner gone everyone seems to be saying they'll be a run first team next year because Leinart is a lot closer to Orton than Warner in what he can do on the field. Boldin's trade value will not be nearly as high next year as it is right now.

Did Boldin put up good numbers last year? Yes, but so did the other WRs in the Cards offense. Boldin had more yards than Breaston but Breaston, Boldin, and Doucet all averaged over 12yd/catch. (Boldin 12.2, Breaston 12.9, and Doucet 12.6). Boldin is a very good WR and yes he'd make our WR corps better but not nearly enough to offset the cost of his contract and the loss of a 3rd or even 4th Rd draft pick.

I still think the Cards would like to keep Boldin around if they could get him at the right price (perhaps $7mil/yr?) but I don't see them breaking the bank for him. Boldin is no dummy, he knows his numbers are likely to go down next year with Leinart so he will push his leverage this year as far as he can. Yet if the situation starts to stagnate you will hear him open his mouth and start demanding more money. Before you criticize the Cards for being cheap with him keep in mind they have twice torn up his contract and given him more money (after 2 yr on his rookie deal, and again just two years later in 2006). That's very generous for any organization yet still Boldin has continued to whine about his money.

While Orton taking a team to the promised land is always debatable. So is the fact that Cutler has never directed a team to a winning record. (College or Pro) Just sayin'...

So what are you exactly saying? Would you rather have kyle or jay? whom do you think has the best potential to lead an NFL team to a championship......I don't put to much stock in what players do in HS or College because there are many variables out of the players control. I am more interested what they actually do in the NFL? I like Kyle; as my backup. We know that winning at the college or hs level does not directly correlate to success in the NFL; if that was the case Rex would still be a Bear or the Cardinals would never of had to bring in Warner when they already drafted Leinart or that the Patriots should have never drafted Brady since he did not have much success backing up Greise at Michigan.

We already went down this path when the Bears signed "Moose" who was still a very good blocking WR and had obviously lost a step when he played here. I would rather see Martz line up Olson at WR and H-back more frequently than to spend our highest draft pick for some very used and expensive tires. I agree with NFO that WR is not as big of a need because of the Cutler factor. If you don't believe this look at how Eddie Royal's numbers went down without Jay. Or when was the last time the bears had a rookie WR like knox? Maybe Iglesias can be the more physical WR the team needs. This is arguably the most talent the Bears probably have ever had at the receiver position at one time and tend to agree with why Martz is excited with this group.

We already went down this path when the Bears signed "Moose" who was still a very good blocking WR and had obviously lost a step when he played here. I would rather see Martz line up Olson at WR and H-back more frequently than to spend our highest draft pick for some very used and expensive tires. I agree with NFO that WR is not as big of a need because of the Cutler factor. If you don't believe this look at how Eddie Royal's numbers went down without Jay. Or when was the last time the bears had a rookie WR like knox? Maybe Iglesias can be the more physical WR the team needs. This is arguably the most talent the Bears probably have ever had at the receiver position at one time and tend to agree with why Martz is excited with this group.

I am on board with upgrading OL, DL and secondary. (In that order) No draft picks for WR's this year. I'll take Holt if he's cut, for leadership and familiarity with Martz.

True, but I'm not sure if you've read my other posts. The one thing Teddy-boy is good at is loot management. So, I don't think getting Boldin a contract he'd be happy with would be a problem.

There is some dead weight to cut on this current roster as well...

I just think we simply disagree on Boldin's value to the team.

Last I checked neither of those guys were demanding $9mil/yr, even after earning $5mil/yr. We haven't made the playoffs but none of the three you mention pissed off their teammates by being a locker room cancer during the playoffs.

Again, I'll state my position that I like Boldin, he's a good NFL WR, but our 3rd Rd pick and an extra $9mil in FA directed somewhere besides WR will make our team better overall. Last year I'd have been willing to give up a 3rd Rd pick for him but after watching him this last year and seeing our WR I don't see him helping us that much.

If we eliminated every diva from the pool of WR's we'd want, there wouldn't be any in line to choose from other than some slow guy from a seminary school.

Now you have:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,135311

Not content to just have a screaming match with the offensive coordinator on the sidelines (which landed him on our list of five least valuable people of Championship Sunday), Anquan Boldin carried his hissy-fit to the Arizona Cardinals postgame celebration, too.

While most of the other Cardinals were still on the field being showered in confetti and picking up their NFC Championship trophy, Boldin had already bolted out of the locker room. The behavior prompted CBS's Mike Freeman to call him a naughty word.

He tried to ruin the Super Bowl celebration with his childishness.

In the game, Boldin got into a heated argument with offensive coordinator Todd Haley. After the game, instead of celebrating with his team, Boldin abruptly left the field, then abruptly left the locker room.

It was awful behavior.

[...] I have to say in nearly 20 years of doing this, I've never seen a player more concerned about his arguing with a coach over making a Super Bowl.

7 seasons....3 Pro Bowls which by the way is pretty damn good but it doesn't change my opinion of the fact that he's slowing down and isn't the same WR he was a few years ago. I'd be more than happy to have you show up out here and visit with some of my friends and coworkers who are die-hard Cardinal fans so you can hear it from them too but that's not practical. The Cardinals still have 3 (if not 4) quality WR or next year including Boldin but out here with Warner gone everyone seems to be saying they'll be a run first team next year because Leinart is a lot closer to Orton than Warner in what he can do on the field. Boldin's trade value will not be nearly as high next year as it is right now.

Did Boldin put up good numbers last year? Yes, but so did the other WRs in the Cards offense. Boldin had more yards than Breaston but Breaston, Boldin, and Doucet all averaged over 12yd/catch. (Boldin 12.2, Breaston 12.9, and Doucet 12.6). Boldin is a very good WR and yes he'd make our WR corps better but not nearly enough to offset the cost of his contract and the loss of a 3rd or even 4th Rd draft pick.

I still think the Cards would like to keep Boldin around if they could get him at the right price (perhaps $7mil/yr?) but I don't see them breaking the bank for him. Boldin is no dummy, he knows his numbers are likely to go down next year with Leinart so he will push his leverage this year as far as he can. Yet if the situation starts to stagnate you will hear him open his mouth and start demanding more money. Before you criticize the Cards for being cheap with him keep in mind they have twice torn up his contract and given him more money (after 2 yr on his rookie deal, and again just two years later in 2006). That's very generous for any organization yet still Boldin has continued to whine about his money.

But didn't Moose bring a respectability to our passing game? He wasn't the end all be all, but for a few seasons, I believe he made a difference.

Man, you guys sound completely sold on "potential" of our WR corps. Sorry to say, and I'm sure no one will be surprised to hear, that I am not. I like them. I hope. But if there's a better way, I'd take it. Boldin is that better way I feel.

No argument there. The lines are still our priority. But this thread is talking about an opportunity to upgreade WR. If someone through out that a stud OL was looking for loot and a trade of a 3rd round pick, I'd be all for that over this. But right now, assuming all else being nothing...I have no issue persuing Boldin for a 3rd.

Do you realy think JA will draft a great OL with our 3rd round pick? I don't. I hope. But the law of averages are against us.

I am on board with upgrading OL, DL and secondary. (In that order) No draft picks for WR's this year. I'll take Holt if he's cut, for leadership and familiarity with Martz.

Honestly Mad, I think you need to think more about the finances of the deal, rather than the 3rd.

You look at the "opportunity" and say to yourself, a 3rd for Boldin. Hell yes. I understand. What I honestly think you gloss over though is the financial cost and issues.

I know you have said Teddy has been good in the past at getting ownership to spend money, but I think you have to be realistic here. W/ the CBA issues, do you honestly expect our ownership to go out and spend a ton of cash? And for the record, I am not just talking about any potential Boldin deal. What I am talking about is money enough to sign Boldin AND work on our many other holes.

I know you believe OL, DL and DB are big holes. If you were told flat out that you can have enough money for either Boldin, or those three areas, which do you choose. I do not expect us to sign a top tier player at those positions, but do hope to sign a mid tier (contract) players. But Boldin's deal will likely be equal to three mid tier contracts. You honestly believe, in this environment, we will spend the kind of money to sign Boldin AND a trio of middle tier contracts?

Lets say Boldin wants a $20m bonus. You think ownership will spend that, and another maybe $15m on other FAs? I think you know our ownership better than that. Hell, I doubt many owners this year will be spending that sort of money.

No argument there. The lines are still our priority. But this thread is talking about an opportunity to upgreade WR. If someone through out that a stud OL was looking for loot and a trade of a 3rd round pick, I'd be all for that over this. But right now, assuming all else being nothing...I have no issue persuing Boldin for a 3rd.

Do you realy think JA will draft a great OL with our 3rd round pick? I don't. I hope. But the law of averages are against us.

But Moose was not brought in to simply make a little difference or help. He was brought in coming off a season where he had something like 1,500 yards and 16 scores. He was paid top tier dollars, and expected to provide top tier play. Instead, he complained about his QBs. Moose wasn't the worse WR, but he sure as heck didn't live up to his contract.

But didn't Moose bring a respectability to our passing game? He wasn't the end all be all, but for a few seasons, I believe he made a difference.

Man, you guys sound completely sold on "potential" of our WR corps. Sorry to say, and I'm sure no one will be surprised to hear, that I am not. I like them. I hope. But if there's a better way, I'd take it. Boldin is that better way I feel.

Fair enough. But it's assuming that JA, unlike the last 2 years, will actually seek out good FA's to fill our needs.

I just think if there's a will, there's a way.

Honestly Mad, I think you need to think more about the finances of the deal, rather than the 3rd.

You look at the "opportunity" and say to yourself, a 3rd for Boldin. Hell yes. I understand. What I honestly think you gloss over though is the financial cost and issues.

I know you have said Teddy has been good in the past at getting ownership to spend money, but I think you have to be realistic here. W/ the CBA issues, do you honestly expect our ownership to go out and spend a ton of cash? And for the record, I am not just talking about any potential Boldin deal. What I am talking about is money enough to sign Boldin AND work on our many other holes.

I know you believe OL, DL and DB are big holes. If you were told flat out that you can have enough money for either Boldin, or those three areas, which do you choose. I do not expect us to sign a top tier player at those positions, but do hope to sign a mid tier (contract) players. But Boldin's deal will likely be equal to three mid tier contracts. You honestly believe, in this environment, we will spend the kind of money to sign Boldin AND a trio of middle tier contracts?

Lets say Boldin wants a $20m bonus. You think ownership will spend that, and another maybe $15m on other FAs? I think you know our ownership better than that. Hell, I doubt many owners this year will be spending that sort of money.

No doubt, but at the same time he made it better. Not as good as we all hoped, but w/o him, it could have been far worse. Given what was out there and our needs at the time, we over-paid for an upgrade.

But Moose was not brought in to simply make a little difference or help. He was brought in coming off a season where he had something like 1,500 yards and 16 scores. He was paid top tier dollars, and expected to provide top tier play. Instead, he complained about his QBs. Moose wasn't the worse WR, but he sure as heck didn't live up to his contract.

I addressed upgrading WR in my post. I don't know what JA will do in the 3rd, but it better not be WR with glaring weaknesses elsewhere.

For all the recent talk of WRs, I frankly do not see much liklihood of Angelo drafting early any WR, much less doing much of anything significant. Remember last year what Angelo said. It's all about the QB. We now havve that QB, and for the first time in a long time, a group of young WRs who have shown considerable potential.

I think Angelo will look to add another OL, but otherwise, I think the bulk of our offseason will revolve around the defense, which has more holes than swiss cheese.

I addressed upgrading WR in my post. I don't know what JA will do in the 3rd, but it better not be WR with glaring weaknesses elsewhere.