Marc Bulger

DABEARSDABOMB

I knew someone would throw this out there. Why is it that every has-been from the old great StL teams must be mentioned for us? Archuleta comes in and bombs. We bring in Pace, and he flops. Now this year many want Holt, and now even mention of Bulger.

Any of these players in their prime would have been great, but now?

Bulger has flat sucked for 3 years. Yea, he isn't surrounded by great talent anymore, but still, he has been awful. He has no ability to avoid pressure, and behind our OL, that would mean disaster. Accuracy has gone down the last three years: 58%, 57% and 56% this past year. QB rating has been below 72 the last three years. Each of the last three years, he has thrown more picks than scores.

This guy just flat out sucks. I would rather insert Hanie if need be than go w/ Bulger.

Sounds like he will be released in St. Louis. I think he'd be a real nice signing for our back-up QB spot (with Hanie as our 3rd stringer). Basically if Cutler went down and we were in contention, you go to Bulger, if Cutler went down and we are out of contention, you go to Hanie.

I'm afraid. Martz picked Bulger over Warner. Do we really need that looking possibility?

I too would rather let Hanie still be the man at #2.

I knew someone would throw this out there. Why is it that every has-been from the old great StL teams must be mentioned for us? Archuleta comes in and bombs. We bring in Pace, and he flops. Now this year many want Holt, and now even mention of Bulger.

Any of these players in their prime would have been great, but now?

Bulger has flat sucked for 3 years. Yea, he isn't surrounded by great talent anymore, but still, he has been awful. He has no ability to avoid pressure, and behind our OL, that would mean disaster. Accuracy has gone down the last three years: 58%, 57% and 56% this past year. QB rating has been below 72 the last three years. Each of the last three years, he has thrown more picks than scores.

This guy just flat out sucks. I would rather insert Hanie if need be than go w/ Bulger.

I agree with you on this Mad, I think Hanie has done more than enough to prove that he deserves to remain #2 and do not want a washed up and washed out Bulger.

I'm afraid. Martz picked Bulger over Warner. Do we really need that looking possibility?

I too would rather let Hanie still be the man at #2.

My main concern with Bulger as a backup would be that he'd necessitate major changes in the offense. He and Cutler are very, very different quarterbacks. Bulger doesn't have anything like Cutler's escapability or arm strength, which would mean we'd have to change the offense to suit Bulger's skill set if Cutler were to go down. I like Hanie as the backup, since he seems like a very-poor-man's Cutler in terms of his skills. Hanie might not have anything like the same talent, but at least they could keep all the same plays in the playbook if he had to step in.

You forgot about Tinoisomoa. Hasn't bombed but still undetermined....

Holt would still be able to contribute in other ways, not necessarily as just a receiver. Think on the field coach.

By the by, no thanks on Bulger. Good kid but the Bears don't need him. I think Hanie is suitable. He reminds me a lot of Orton.

You forgot about Tinoisomoa. Hasn't bombed but still undetermined....

Um, how has Pisa not bombed? He was signed to a one year deal, and played how much? We signed him to a new deal, right? But that has no bearing on last years deal. I would absolutely say he bombed.

Holt would still be able to contribute in other ways, not necessarily as just a receiver. Think on the field coach.

Then hire him as a WR coach. Frankly, I would prefer him to Drake.

By the by, no thanks on Bulger. Good kid but the Bears don't need him. I think Hanie is suitable. He reminds me a lot of Orton.

Bulger could be the worst hire of any of the group of former Rams.

Sounds like he is in a parallel universe with Lovie. :D That being said, I'd take him as a #3 / player coach. I do not want Hanie's development hindered.

Um, how has Pisa not bombed? He was signed to a one year deal, and played how much? We signed him to a new deal, right? But that has no bearing on last years deal. I would absolutely say he bombed.

Would the same hold true if Cutler had been injured at the beginning of the season, unable to play for the remainder of the year?

In order to bomb I would think that he would have had to had the chance, as did Pace, to play the full year and not really show any contribution. The fact that he fell injured twice, I might add, doesn't really constitute utter failure as you suggest. Instead, if he were to return to the field this year and not do anything or fall injured again, then maybe I would cast the light of failure upon him. Or that he has considerably bad luck. However, based upon not only his past but his desire to do well for the Bears, I feel he has not yet "bombed".

Do you honestly feel that Martz would let Bulger be behind Hanie? Martz basically let Warner walk in order to give Bulger playing time. And that said, who's to say a pick or 2 in the end zone for Jay , and Marcie Marc wouldn't be the next starter?

Sounds like he is in a parallel universe with Lovie. :D That being said, I'd take him as a #3 / player coach. I do not want Hanie's development hindered.

Do you honestly feel that Martz would let Bulger be behind Hanie? Martz basically let Warner walk in order to give Bulger playing time. And that said, who's to say a pick or 2 in the end zone for Jay , and Marcie Marc wouldn't be the next starter?

I honestly feel, it wouldn't matter because Cutler will be on the field. Like I said, I'd take him as a 3rd. If Martz has other ideas, I don't want him to hinder Hanie.

Old habits die hard. We have Cutler. PLEASE stop debating who the #2 will be. For better or for worse, he's our guy. We've had a bad QB for so long it's like we can't let the old habits die. Our back-up should be Hanie or whatever guy we can develop.

Either way, Bulger deserves a chance to start and he won't get it here.

Would the same hold true if Cutler had been injured at the beginning of the season, unable to play for the remainder of the year?

Difference is Cutler was not on a one year deal.

In order to bomb I would think that he would have had to had the chance, as did Pace, to play the full year and not really show any contribution. The fact that he fell injured twice, I might add, doesn't really constitute utter failure as you suggest. Instead, if he were to return to the field this year and not do anything or fall injured again, then maybe I would cast the light of failure upon him. Or that he has considerably bad luck. However, based upon not only his past but his desire to do well for the Bears, I feel he has not yet "bombed".

Here is the key. He signed a one year deal. What did he do for us under the terms of that one year deal? Absolutely nothing. Yes, he was injured, but that doesn't really change the bottom line. He provides reason and explanation, but doesn't change the outcome. He was signed to a one year deal, and yes, I would absolutely say he bombed under that deal.

He may prove a huge value under a new contract, but I see no argument to say he didn't bomb his original contract. He signed a one year deal and provided next to nothing. If his original deal was a 3, 4 or 5 year deal, I would not say he bombed. Slow start? But his first contact and begun and ended, and he provided nothing under that.

I'm with Mad on this. We can talk day and night about what the coaches should do, but we have to really consider what they are likely to do.

That is a key reason I have said I am against Holt. If we brought Holt in, I have a hard time of seeing Martz simply letting Holt sit on the bench, even if our young WRs prove equal or better. Its one thing to talk about liking this veteran or that veteran, but you have to ask whether (a) that veteran will accept a backup role and (B) whether the coach is likely to allow that.

If we signed Bulger, there is simply no doubt in my mind that he would become the #2 w/ Martz as the OC. I don't care at what point in the season Cutler goes down, I would rather Hanie enter the game than Bulger.

I simply see no reason to add Bulger. In no situation would I want him on the field. If we view our #3 QB (even if he were accepting of this role) as a player you view as a coach you never want to play, then why have the depth position at all. Just go w/ 2 QBs and have a 3rd on the practice squad just in case. Honestly, I would take a practice squad guy over Bulger.

I honestly feel, it wouldn't matter because Cutler will be on the field. Like I said, I'd take him as a 3rd. If Martz has other ideas, I don't want him to hinder Hanie.