Mike Brown

nfoligno

In doing a bit of research on other safeties, I came across Mike Brown's name. Honestly, as KC was so irrelevant this past year, I had not really taken notice to what Brown did. I didn't even know whether he was a starter all year or not. When I checked his stats, I couldn't believe it.

Brown plays in, and started, all 16 games. He has not played the full 16 games since 2003.

Brown had 103 total tackles, more than he ever had w/ the Bears, including 79 solo, which matches his high as a rookie. Yea, I realize tackles don't necessarily reflect overall play, but consider the injury relationship. A guy who could not stay healthy played all 16 games, and did so racking up the most tackles in his career.

2 sacks. Most since 2001. 4 Fumble recoveries, most ever. 3 picks, which is his most since 2005.

I just can't believe how well he played this year. Good for him. Maybe nothing should be read into this, but you have to wonder why a guy who could not stay healthy in Chicago found the fountain of youth as soon as he left. If Brown was a lone example, fine, but we seem to have more than our fair share of injuries each year. How much of our injury woes are due to factors other than simply the players? Doctors, trainers, practice/camp habbits? I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Well, he did play 15 games the last season he spent in Chicago, but I get what you're saying. I mean, the last time before that when he played more than 12 games was 2003. Honestly, I think the turf at Soldier Field has a lot to do with it. That has to be the sloppiest surface in the NFL, apart from maybe Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. How many of our players with lower leg injuries have reinjured them over and over like Brown did, or have seen them turn into constant nagging problems, like Tommie Harris has? I'm not saying the surface contributed to their injuries initially (I know it didn't in Brown's case - he got his leg rolled up in a pile) but it can't help matters, playing 8 games in a mud pit every year.

Also, Brown's stats are impressive, but most of the Chiefs fans I know weren't very happy with his overall play. I think he may have just racked up big numbers because their front seven had some problems, which meant that the ballcarrier got into the secondary more often.

You are onto something. Historically, the med/training staff have been known to be horrid in Chicago. Butkus, Ditka and others spoke of it regularly.

I'm glad he's stillkicking ass. He will always be a Bear to me...and one of the only reasons we made it was far as we did in 2006...

In doing a bit of research on other safeties, I came across Mike Brown's name. Honestly, as KC was so irrelevant this past year, I had not really taken notice to what Brown did. I didn't even know whether he was a starter all year or not. When I checked his stats, I couldn't believe it.

Brown plays in, and started, all 16 games. He has not played the full 16 games since 2003.

Brown had 103 total tackles, more than he ever had w/ the Bears, including 79 solo, which matches his high as a rookie. Yea, I realize tackles don't necessarily reflect overall play, but consider the injury relationship. A guy who could not stay healthy played all 16 games, and did so racking up the most tackles in his career.

2 sacks. Most since 2001. 4 Fumble recoveries, most ever. 3 picks, which is his most since 2005.

I just can't believe how well he played this year. Good for him. Maybe nothing should be read into this, but you have to wonder why a guy who could not stay healthy in Chicago found the fountain of youth as soon as he left. If Brown was a lone example, fine, but we seem to have more than our fair share of injuries each year. How much of our injury woes are due to factors other than simply the players? Doctors, trainers, practice/camp habbits? I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

Oh, I understand tackle stats can be over-rated. It always cracks me up when someone makes a big deal about a CB having big tackle numbers. To me, that just points out the CBs inability to prevent the catch and should not be applauded. Not as bad w/ a FS, but yea, big tackle numbers doesn't mean great play. My point was more about how he took a bigger pounding this past year (reflected in the tackles) and yet was more healthy than with us.

Field conditions may well be an issue. I know some talk about Club Lovie, and while it could be argued a lighter camp keeps players fresh, others argue our camp doesn't prepare the body enough for the season.

Honestly, I also wonder a bit about the trainers. Seems like every year you hear about players deciding on their own to seek a 2nd opinion, and that 2nd opinion provides a worse conclusion than what the team doctors gave. Or maybe a player returns too soon from injury, and then ends up worse.

I really don't know. Maybe its just plain bad luck, but it just seems like we do suffer more than our fair share of injuries, and wonder why. You may well be onto something w/ regard to the turf.

Well, he did play 15 games the last season he spent in Chicago, but I get what you're saying. I mean, the last time before that when he played more than 12 games was 2003. Honestly, I think the turf at Soldier Field has a lot to do with it. That has to be the sloppiest surface in the NFL, apart from maybe Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. How many of our players with lower leg injuries have reinjured them over and over like Brown did, or have seen them turn into constant nagging problems, like Tommie Harris has? I'm not saying the surface contributed to their injuries initially (I know it didn't in Brown's case - he got his leg rolled up in a pile) but it can't help matters, playing 8 games in a mud pit every year.

Also, Brown's stats are impressive, but most of the Chiefs fans I know weren't very happy with his overall play. I think he may have just racked up big numbers because their front seven had some problems, which meant that the ballcarrier got into the secondary more often.

You are onto something. Historically, the med/training staff have been known to be horrid in Chicago. Butkus, Ditka and others spoke of it regularly.

I'm glad he's stillkicking ass. He will always be a Bear to me...and one of the only reasons we made it was far as we did in 2006...

Yeah, I remember (I think it was during the 2006 season) when some reporter asked Urlacher about being the leader of the defense, and he said something to the effect of "I'm not the leader. Mike's the leader."

Sometimes I wonder how good he could have been if he hadn't hurt his Achilles. Even when he was healthy after that, he didn't have the same range and speed as he did before. Who knows how much of an impact he could have had on the defense if he'd been lucky enough to avoid that one freak injury.

Oh, I understand tackle stats can be over-rated. It always cracks me up when someone makes a big deal about a CB having big tackle numbers. To me, that just points out the CBs inability to prevent the catch and should not be applauded. Not as bad w/ a FS, but yea, big tackle numbers doesn't mean great play. My point was more about how he took a bigger pounding this past year (reflected in the tackles) and yet was more healthy than with us.

Field conditions may well be an issue. I know some talk about Club Lovie, and while it could be argued a lighter camp keeps players fresh, others argue our camp doesn't prepare the body enough for the season.

Honestly, I also wonder a bit about the trainers. Seems like every year you hear about players deciding on their own to seek a 2nd opinion, and that 2nd opinion provides a worse conclusion than what the team doctors gave. Or maybe a player returns too soon from injury, and then ends up worse.

I really don't know. Maybe its just plain bad luck, but it just seems like we do suffer more than our fair share of injuries, and wonder why. You may well be onto something w/ regard to the turf.

I'm of that opinion