Brian Westbrook released

Alaskan Grizzly

In case you didn't hear, or know it was coming, Brian Westbrook was released (?) earlier today from the Philadelphia Eagles. Link....

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sp..._Westbrook.html

Weird thing I saw on NFL Network was something about how his release wouldn't go into effect until start of the next season(?). Don't understand. Is that so he can retire or something?

And no this is not a post to advocate the Bears try and sign him. He's a great guy but not needed, just like LT.

I read on PFT where he will be released but isn't yet. The impression I got was that they want him to try to line up a suitor as a thanks for his services over the years.

In case you didn't hear, or know it was coming, Brian Westbrook was released (?) earlier today from the Philadelphia Eagles. Link....

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sp..._Westbrook.html

Weird thing I saw on NFL Network was something about how his release wouldn't go into effect until start of the next season(?). Don't understand. Is that so he can retire or something?

And no this is not a post to advocate the Bears try and sign him. He's a great guy but not needed, just like LT.

How's he not needed??? Every team is going with a 1-2 punch at rb. He's great at pass-protection and he's a great receiver. Kevin Jones has been hurt for 2 years, Garrett Wolfe is a good special team's player, and I'm guessing Khalil Bell doesn't fit what Martz wants to do.

What hurt Westbrook is the way Philly over-used him.

I'd love to have him. More then LT because I think he's a better fit for the pass-happy Martz.

How's he not needed??? Every team is going with a 1-2 punch at rb. He's great at pass-protection and he's a great receiver. Kevin Jones has been hurt for 2 years, Garrett Wolfe is a good special team's player, and I'm guessing Khalil Bell doesn't fit what Martz wants to do.

What hurt Westbrook is the way Philly over-used him.

I'd love to have him. More then LT because I think he's a better fit for the pass-happy Martz.

Well I couldn't disagree more, especially on how the Bears might "need him". As far as the "1-2 punch", I would much rather go with someone younger and more durable to fill that role, possbly Bell???

The part of his "pass protection" abilities in and of itself negates the Bears looking his way as he was "...over-used" in Philadelphia. I mean, how effective could he be as a pass protector if he is as worn down or "over used" as you suggest?

Naw thanks. Again I will say; great guy and player but not what the Bears need.

We dont need him because he is one shot away from being retired.

I'd like to stick with Bell.

Yeah, I'd like to stick with Bell as the #2 or maybe the #3 if we can bring in an upgrade. At this point, I'm not sure that Westbrook would be a great option as a #2 back. He's got a lot of mileage, and his knee and concussion problems are no joke.