Breaking News

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=3441

Report: Peppers the Bears top free agent target

Feb

2/23/2010 7:55:01 PM | More

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports via Twitter Julius Peppers is the Bears' top free agent target.

Aaron Kampman very much on their radar too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=3439

Bears haven't hired Ruskell -- yet

Feb

2/23/2010 7:14:46 PM | More

Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune reports a report that said the Bears have hired Tim Ruskell to be their director of player personnel is not accurate, according to a highly placed source.

The report might be more premature than outright false. Ruskell likely will be hired, probably in the very near future. It would make sense to have in place before the scouting combine kicks off on Thursday.

Ruskell stepped down from his role as president of the Seahawks late last season when it became apparent the team was not intending to bring him back in 2010. He worked with Bears general manager Jerry Angelo for 13 years; the two were the primary architects of the Bucs teams that Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden led to postseason success.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=3441

Report: Peppers the Bears top free agent target

Feb

2/23/2010 7:55:01 PM | More

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports via Twitter Julius Peppers is the Bears' top free agent target.

Aaron Kampman very much on their radar too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=3439

Well, I'll believe it when Peppers is in Blue and Orange. Though, I was the same way about our chances with Cutler. Peppers could be a perfect fit with Lovie. They both tend to be absent at critical times.

I really don't know how to feel about Peppers. Judging by sheer athletic ability, the guy should be LeBron James on the defensive line. But he just doesn't seem to care, except when his teammates are calling him out publicly. That's the scary thing: when he turns it on (like he did after Beason blew up his spot) you see how good he could be all the time, if he really cared about football. If anybody could motivate him, he'd be a top-5 DE, maybe even the best in the game. But I don't know if anybody can.

Personally, as talented as Peppers is, I'd much rather take a flyer on Kampman's knee than Peppers' motivation.

Matt Bowen wrote a pretty good article on the prospect of Peppers in Chicago. Choice quote:

"Peppers played under Ron Meeks in Carolina last year in the exact same scheme that Chicago runs. Meeks was with Lovie in St. Louis as the team’s defensive backs coach, and his principles and techniques of the defense are a carbon copy of what is taught in Chicago.

Lovie has publicly stated that the Bears are not going to change defensive philosophies or alter their schemes. They are and will be a Tampa 2 team that uses some man coverage and pressures with their zone blitzes. And, on third downs — where Peppers will make his money — the Bears will almost exclusively be a Tampa 2 defense, rushing four and dropping seven into coverage."

Also, shades of Alex Brown campaigning for Kampman: Ogunleye thinks Peppers would help the Bears.

Problem is, everything I have read has Peppers basically saying he could be so much more in a different system. Not sure if he specifically means 3-4 rather than 4-3, or what, but one of the points he continues to make about FA is that he believes he can do so much more in a system better suited for him.

So while, under normal logic, our running a similar system as to what he played in Carolina would prove and asset, it may in fact be the opposite.

Matt Bowen wrote a pretty good article on the prospect of Peppers in Chicago. Choice quote:

"Peppers played under Ron Meeks in Carolina last year in the exact same scheme that Chicago runs. Meeks was with Lovie in St. Louis as the team’s defensive backs coach, and his principles and techniques of the defense are a carbon copy of what is taught in Chicago.

Lovie has publicly stated that the Bears are not going to change defensive philosophies or alter their schemes. They are and will be a Tampa 2 team that uses some man coverage and pressures with their zone blitzes. And, on third downs — where Peppers will make his money — the Bears will almost exclusively be a Tampa 2 defense, rushing four and dropping seven into coverage."

Also, shades of Alex Brown campaigning for Kampman: Ogunleye thinks Peppers would help the Bears.

Guest TerraTor
I really don't know how to feel about Peppers. Judging by sheer athletic ability, the guy should be LeBron James on the defensive line. But he just doesn't seem to care, except when his teammates are calling him out publicly. That's the scary thing: when he turns it on (like he did after Beason blew up his spot) you see how good he could be all the time, if he really cared about football. If anybody could motivate him, he'd be a top-5 DE, maybe even the best in the game. But I don't know if anybody can.

Personally, as talented as Peppers is, I'd much rather take a flyer on Kampman's knee than Peppers' motivation.

Gotta disagree there. Kampman had a torn ACL repaired in November or so and hes 30. I cant imagine hed be ready for Training Camp and may even enter the PUP list. Havent we f'd around with this stuff enough? 6 weeks of wearing bright orange gowdy Reebok Sideline Gear gives us nothing. Hell with the money (considering theres no cap so frontload any deal anyway)

I wont argue Peppers isnt riskier with his attitude and financially, but im my eyes hes a guarantee that we havent had in a long long time. Plus, i think we can agree hes a stud, and with the LBs getting on his ass i think rediculous production would be there. like 12-15 sacks.. Three of our DEs dont combine for that

Problem is, everything I have read has Peppers basically saying he could be so much more in a different system. Not sure if he specifically means 3-4 rather than 4-3, or what, but one of the points he continues to make about FA is that he believes he can do so much more in a system better suited for him.

So while, under normal logic, our running a similar system as to what he played in Carolina would prove and asset, it may in fact be the opposite.

I think he's just saying that to get out of Carolina. He was saying the same thing last season, and I really believe that if Carolina ran a 3-4, Peppers would have been talking about how he could only shine in a 4-3.

From what I've seen, he could do anything in any system with his skill set. When you've got a DE who's practically as strong as a nose tackle but is fast enough to run with receivers in coverage, I'm not sure there's any scheme that would particularly hamper him. Now if what he really means is that he's only interested in playing in a different scheme, then we've got a problem. Because that dude definitely only plays when he's interested.

I think he's just saying that to get out of Carolina. He was saying the same thing last season, and I really believe that if Carolina ran a 3-4, Peppers would have been talking about how he could only shine in a 4-3.

But he made those comments even after being told he would not be tagged, and thus was given his release. A year ago, sure, you could have argued he made the comments trying to force a trade, but even as a free man, he maintained the belief that he would thrive in a different system. Hell, even his agent said as much.

From what I've seen, he could do anything in any system with his skill set. When you've got a DE who's practically as strong as a nose tackle but is fast enough to run with receivers in coverage, I'm not sure there's any scheme that would particularly hamper him. Now if what he really means is that he's only interested in playing in a different scheme, then we've got a problem. Because that dude definitely only plays when he's interested.

Who knows. W/ a player like Peppers, I have a feeling money talks. If we offered the biggest payday, he may well just say our system would be perfect for him, even though it is essentially the same system as he played in Carolina.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I think we are going to have a real hard time getting a top tier player like Peppers. Even if we are willing to spend the money, I doubt we are going to blow away all other offers. If the difference is small, would it be enough. The same instability that prevented coaches from joining the team could also prevent players from doing the same. Further, few think highly of our chances next year, and while money will no question be a key issue in who he signs w/, so may the chances of a SB ring. Even if you try to reason we have a good shot at 2010, I don't think that is what most out there believe. Then consider how bad our D has been, and how questionable our overall talent is. I just question whether a player like Peppers, who you know is going to have his choice of options, would choose to join us.

Guest TerraTor
Peppers is 30 as well. So you have the knee pitted against the disapperaing in games. I'd go with the knee, myself. We already have one Tommie Harris on the roster.

I know Peppers is 30, im saying a 30yo Kampman who tore his ACL in week 9... Im not sure what ur saying/who youd rather have?

Questionable knee over questionable character. At least the knee will be better with rehab.

Disagree, on the knee issue alone. Agreed that if Peppers attitude comes into question, I don't want him either. The main thing I don't want is a player that may not have it anymore. Add to that, our med staff sucks. I would want a clean bill of health from someone other than our doctors to even consider him.

Looking at Peppers: Can anyone tell me what his supporting cast of pass rushers look like. I've seen Peppers enough to know he's a beast, but was he doing it alone or with a supporting cast? It makes a difference in trying to predict the impact he'd have on our team. (From pass rush to secondary)

Guest TerraTor
Disagree, on the knee issue alone. Agreed that if Peppers attitude comes into question, I don't want him either. The main thing I don't want is a player that may not have it anymore. Add to that, our med staff sucks. I would want a clean bill of health from someone other than our doctors to even consider him.

Looking at Peppers: Can anyone tell me what his supporting cast of pass rushers look like. I've seen Peppers enough to know he's a beast, but was he doing it alone or with a supporting cast? It makes a difference in trying to predict the impact he'd have on our team. (From pass rush to secondary)

I hate to give Tommie credit,but if (ya of course if) he is 90% He and peppers would be a force. Carolinas D line was rather atrocious. Hollis Thomas and Damione Lewis at DT and Tyler Braton at the other end

One of the key issues for me w/ Peppers is, he is one of those players who can be as good as he wants. Make no mistake. While Wale was a great DE in Miami, he had Taylor opposite him, and fed off that. In Peppers, you would be getting the Jason Taylor of the DL. Peppers is the one that teams game plan for, and the one that everyone feeds off, rather than the one benefitting from someone else.

The concern I have is this. Three years ago he seemed to go into the tank. The following year was a contract year, and he stepped up big, only to be slapped w/ the tag, thus he was essentially in another contract year, and played at a high level again. I fear Peppers is just the sort to play at a lower level after hitting the big payday.

It is sad, but there are players out there who play for the money more than the wins, and Peppers seems to be just that sort. If he gets his money, I think it fair to ask whether we get the pro bowl Peppers after he gets his big paycheck, or whether he lacks the incentive and dails it back.

Yeah, but Smith N' Rod will coach him up! :P

One of the key issues for me w/ Peppers is, he is one of those players who can be as good as he wants. Make no mistake. While Wale was a great DE in Miami, he had Taylor opposite him, and fed off that. In Peppers, you would be getting the Jason Taylor of the DL. Peppers is the one that teams game plan for, and the one that everyone feeds off, rather than the one benefitting from someone else.

The concern I have is this. Three years ago he seemed to go into the tank. The following year was a contract year, and he stepped up big, only to be slapped w/ the tag, thus he was essentially in another contract year, and played at a high level again. I fear Peppers is just the sort to play at a lower level after hitting the big payday.

It is sad, but there are players out there who play for the money more than the wins, and Peppers seems to be just that sort. If he gets his money, I think it fair to ask whether we get the pro bowl Peppers after he gets his big paycheck, or whether he lacks the incentive and dails it back.

As in "see Albert Haynesworth"... I definately agree that buyer beware!