Thomas Jones

Alaskan Grizzly

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_a...LPbOr7uPJ4GY3LI

Pretty good article about how once again Thomas Jones is getting another raw deal.

I would be more than OK if the Bears wanted to bring back Jones to finish out his career. He easily has another decent 3-4 years in him. They guy has only rushed for at least 1,000 yards the last 5 years (to include his last 2 for Chicago). Jones is one of those consummate professionals who I really never understood his being released from Chicago, especially since the Benson experiment never worked out.

"Consumate professional?" Are you kidding me.

We bring him in at a time when he looked every bit a bust after failing to meet expectations with two teams. We soon draft Benson, but rather than work with the youth, as a consummate professional would, he makes Benson public enemy #1. After his first EVER 1,000 yard rushing season, he tells management he wants a new deal. The guy failed to earn any prior paycheck, but the first time he does well, he wants more money. He doesn't get it, but doesn't shut up until the team agrees to trade him after the season. The team does, and he gets what he wants in a big contract. Well, that made him content for about a year or two, and there he was again, this time in NY, demanding a new deal or a trade.

I have no problem with a claim that he is a hell of a RB. He is. But I do not think it very professional to be demanding a new deal/trade every couple years, nor do I think it acceptible the way he is with younger players. I have read he has been to the Jets young RBs similar to Benson, though their young backs are more mature and can handle it. But when I think professional, I think about veterans who try to help other players, where as TJ always seems to take the approach they are his enemy and he needs to hold them back to prop himself up.

And just for the record, we did not "release" him. We traded him. And the key reason we did that was he sreamed for a trade and would not play nice until we agreed to his demands, albeit w/ a year grace period.

TJ is one hell of a RB, and will get paid this year as he is likely the top RB on the market. Frankly, I don't understand why NY is releasing him, but I have a problem with making him out to be such a great professional. If he was not again crying for a new deal and or trade, I doubt he would be released, but he is not a back who ever seems satisified, nor one who can share duties w/ other RBs on the roster.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_a...LPbOr7uPJ4GY3LI

Pretty good article about how once again Thomas Jones is getting another raw deal.

I would be more than OK if the Bears wanted to bring back Jones to finish out his career. He easily has another decent 3-4 years in him. They guy has only rushed for at least 1,000 yards the last 5 years (to include his last 2 for Chicago). Jones is one of those consummate professionals who I really never understood his being released from Chicago, especially since the Benson experiment never worked out.

We bring him in at a time when he looked every bit a bust after failing to meet expectations with two teams. We soon draft Benson, but rather than work with the youth, as a consummate professional would, he makes Benson public enemy #1. After his first EVER 1,000 yard rushing season, he tells management he wants a new deal. The guy failed to earn any prior paycheck, but the first time he does well, he wants more money. He doesn't get it, but doesn't shut up until the team agrees to trade him after the season. The team does, and he gets what he wants in a big contract. Well, that made him content for about a year or two, and there he was again, this time in NY, demanding a new deal or a trade.

I have no problem with a claim that he is a hell of a RB. He is. But I do not think it very professional to be demanding a new deal/trade every couple years, nor do I think it acceptible the way he is with younger players. I have read he has been to the Jets young RBs similar to Benson, though their young backs are more mature and can handle it. But when I think professional, I think about veterans who try to help other players, where as TJ always seems to take the approach they are his enemy and he needs to hold them back to prop himself up.

And just for the record, we did not "release" him. We traded him. And the key reason we did that was he sreamed for a trade and would not play nice until we agreed to his demands, albeit w/ a year grace period.

TJ is one hell of a RB, and will get paid this year as he is likely the top RB on the market. Frankly, I don't understand why NY is releasing him, but I have a problem with making him out to be such a great professional. If he was not again crying for a new deal and or trade, I doubt he would be released, but he is not a back who ever seems satisified, nor one who can share duties w/ other RBs on the roster.

Agree, agree, agree. TJ was great for us, but he wanted to be the only RB to get the rock. All those Jet Vets who ar lamenting his release, not one is a fellow RB. TJ hims and haws about money, even after he's paid. So, he was nice while here, but don't bring him back.

But when I think professional, I think about veterans who try to help other players, where as TJ always seems to take the approach they are his enemy and he needs to hold them back to prop himself up.

There is no better example of professional than a player on this team, Dez Clark. Dez dealt with all the draft a TE talk by saying he would welcome a young guy he could mentor and pass on what he knows. Olsen is brought in, there is no conflict and Dez helps him. Dez goes on that year to have a heck of a year at TE. Olsen is worked into the line up and Dez slowly fades away to very little playing time and you don't hear a word.

I think people confuse the "professional" moniker with "trains hard".

Dude is always in shape, knows his plays, works hard. But doesn't play well with others (at his position at least...) and is a money grabber as you mention as well.

Great post! I really agree. Dez is a pro big time. I'd love for him to retire here. He still has some gas in that ol' tank.

There is no better example of professional than a player on this team, Dez Clark. Dez dealt with all the draft a TE talk by saying he would welcome a young guy he could mentor and pass on what he knows. Olsen is brought in, there is no conflict and Dez helps him. Dez goes on that year to have a heck of a year at TE. Olsen is worked into the line up and Dez slowly fades away to very little playing time and you don't hear a word.

Exactly. Many veterans treat younger players, even those who threaten their position, basically as students. They take the mentor role and try to help the younger player. Veterans along the OL always seem to get tons of credit from the younger OL for their help. Heck, though he was a bust for us, I often heard about how Pace was helping Williams. I have heard Beekman talk about how much Kreutz has helped him. At just about any position out there, you have veterans who help the younger players.

Now, I will say Benson was part of this. He entered the league w/ an arrogance and all that, but frankly, TJ should have understood as he too entered the league a high pick w/ arrogance and he too fell on his face early on. Considering TJ's past, you would really think he would be the sort to have understood where Benson was coming from, but instead, all he seemed to care about was himself.

I will admit I was wrong about the "trade versus release" part of my original post. However, I still stand by my thought of how Jones does not deserve what he is NOT getting in a long term deal somewhere.

First, I am not surprised to see "nflongo" one of the first to call me out but again this is the place to do it yes? Then to use Benson as an example of a player Jones didn't work well with is poor. How many posters on here thought Benson was a bust, how many posted pictures of him running through the hole with his eyes closed and how about TerraTor's avatar with Benson's mug shot and a quote "I have nothing to prove"? Are you kidding me? Jones made Benson out to be the bad guy? Is it possible that maybe Benson was immature and refused to listen to Jones about advice he might have dispensed and because the Bears put a premium on Benson that Jones felt himself expendable? What I think some are assuming is a disgruntled player are mistaking for a player who simply wants long term security. Ask one player who is ok with a short term deal and I'll show you a player that must have chronic injuries that has yet to start for an NFL team or is at the end of their career.

As far as the New York atmosphere... http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...e-locker-room/1

And you can go to most of their posting sites and a fair number of the Jets fans are not happy about Jones leaving. Especially with the uncertainty of Shonn Greene and the injury to Leon Washington. Sure, as Chile pointed out, the players quoted were not "fellow RB's" but who was quoted when Jones left the Bears?

TJ continues to produce, especially in his early 30's where others continue to falter. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/355198-...homas-jones-now

Again, I say all he wants (IMHO) is a place to stay and retire with a respectable career. Maybe San Diego is the place for him after all but I for one am still good for him to return to Chitown.

I think you are misunderstanding the points made.

Few have said TJ isn't an excellent RB. I have said that as well. Also, I agreed his release from NY is very questionable. Frankly, I don't understand why they are doing it myself. How good of a RB TJ is, or whether his release is wrong is really not the point at issue. Those points are fairly agreed on, I think.

The point was your saying he is a professional.

After we gave in and traded him (which I disagreed with for the record) he got his wish and signed a long term deal w/ the Jets. This was not a deal he was forced to sign, and a deal for the sort of money he was asked for. So, plain and simply, he got what he wanted. But that long term deal he signed was only good, in his mind, for two years I guess. Because after two years, he started complained about his contract, and again wanted a new deal and/or to be traded.

So lets see. He gets a mega deal as a top 10 pick, and never lives up to it. He gets a deal w/ TB and does little to show for it. He signs w/ us for relatively cheap, and does well, but then complains he is worth more and should get a new contract. Funny, he wasn't concerned about being paid what he was worth when he was worth so much less than his paycheck (Arizona). But his complaining gets him his wish, a trade to NY and a new contract. But again, two years later he is crying about how underpaid he is and demanding a trade if not a new contract.

Sorry, but this is simply not what a "professional" does. If it was only the one time in Chicago he wanted a new contract, I could understand. Maybe no agree, but understand. But to then turn around 2 years into the deal he wanted, and make the same complaints?

And yes, I do believe there is an issue of how he is in terms of being a mentor. I don't recall his being close with Pittman in Az or TB. Blame Benson as much as you want, but most reports absolutely put TJ in that mess as well. And in NY, I have never read about TJ playing the mentor role w/ the young RBs on the roster.

There is no question TJ is one hell of a RB. I also agree his release from NY is very questionable, at best. But don't pretend he is being treated so unfairly either. If he had not complained about his contract, or made an issue about NY wanted their young RB to get more snaps, I doubt TJ would be cut. If TJ were a team player, he would likely be a Jet next year, but instead he is a "me" player, and will get his wish.

Don't feel for TJ. He is going to get "paid" this offseason, and that comes only a couple years after getting "paid" by NY, which came only a couple years after the Bears "paid" for a former top 10 pick BUST.

I will admit I was wrong about the "trade versus release" part of my original post. However, I still stand by my thought of how Jones does not deserve what he is NOT getting in a long term deal somewhere.

First, I am not surprised to see "nflongo" one of the first to call me out but again this is the place to do it yes? Then to use Benson as an example of a player Jones didn't work well with is poor. How many posters on here thought Benson was a bust, how many posted pictures of him running through the hole with his eyes closed and how about TerraTor's avatar with Benson's mug shot and a quote "I have nothing to prove"? Are you kidding me? Jones made Benson out to be the bad guy? Is it possible that maybe Benson was immature and refused to listen to Jones about advice he might have dispensed and because the Bears put a premium on Benson that Jones felt himself expendable? What I think some are assuming is a disgruntled player are mistaking for a player who simply wants long term security. Ask one player who is ok with a short term deal and I'll show you a player that must have chronic injuries that has yet to start for an NFL team or is at the end of their career.

As far as the New York atmosphere... http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...e-locker-room/1

And you can go to most of their posting sites and a fair number of the Jets fans are not happy about Jones leaving. Especially with the uncertainty of Shonn Greene and the injury to Leon Washington. Sure, as Chile pointed out, the players quoted were not "fellow RB's" but who was quoted when Jones left the Bears?

TJ continues to produce, especially in his early 30's where others continue to falter. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/355198-...homas-jones-now

Again, I say all he wants (IMHO) is a place to stay and retire with a respectable career. Maybe San Diego is the place for him after all but I for one am still good for him to return to Chitown.

I think you are misunderstanding the points made.

Few have said TJ isn't an excellent RB. I have said that as well. Also, I agreed his release from NY is very questionable. Frankly, I don't understand why they are doing it myself. How good of a RB TJ is, or whether his release is wrong is really not the point at issue. Those points are fairly agreed on, I think.

The point was your saying he is a professional.

After we gave in and traded him (which I disagreed with for the record) he got his wish and signed a long term deal w/ the Jets. This was not a deal he was forced to sign, and a deal for the sort of money he was asked for. So, plain and simply, he got what he wanted. But that long term deal he signed was only good, in his mind, for two years I guess. Because after two years, he started complained about his contract, and again wanted a new deal and/or to be traded.

So lets see. He gets a mega deal as a top 10 pick, and never lives up to it. He gets a deal w/ TB and does little to show for it. He signs w/ us for relatively cheap, and does well, but then complains he is worth more and should get a new contract. Funny, he wasn't concerned about being paid what he was worth when he was worth so much less than his paycheck (Arizona). But his complaining gets him his wish, a trade to NY and a new contract. But again, two years later he is crying about how underpaid he is and demanding a trade if not a new contract.

Sorry, but this is simply not what a "professional" does. If it was only the one time in Chicago he wanted a new contract, I could understand. Maybe no agree, but understand. But to then turn around 2 years into the deal he wanted, and make the same complaints?

And yes, I do believe there is an issue of how he is in terms of being a mentor. I don't recall his being close with Pittman in Az or TB. Blame Benson as much as you want, but most reports absolutely put TJ in that mess as well. And in NY, I have never read about TJ playing the mentor role w/ the young RBs on the roster.

There is no question TJ is one hell of a RB. I also agree his release from NY is very questionable, at best. But don't pretend he is being treated so unfairly either. If he had not complained about his contract, or made an issue about NY wanted their young RB to get more snaps, I doubt TJ would be cut. If TJ were a team player, he would likely be a Jet next year, but instead he is a "me" player, and will get his wish.

Don't feel for TJ. He is going to get "paid" this offseason, and that comes only a couple years after getting "paid" by NY, which came only a couple years after the Bears "paid" for a former top 10 pick BUST.

I don't think I misunderstood. My post originally had to do with how I would like a lot to see TJ return to the Bears and how I thought he was a "consummate professional". My thought when I considered the word "consummate" was that he was near the complete package when it came to a team player and top performer. I don't know much about his personal character (which in today's world of felons and other suspended NFL players should weigh somehow) other than I have a hard time finding where it is he "complains" about much. His actions are most definitely louder than his words, especially on the field. His leadership is more the "lead by example" rather than the screaming and rabid type similar to Ray Lewis, he continues to perform (as I mentioned earlier for the last 5 years) even as he eclipses 30, where other "greats" start to show wear. As far as mentoring...not sure I follow you there. Where have you heard he was contrary? I remember him many times during games being one of the first to pat Cedric on the back when he did well or even when he didn't. What was being said? Probably words of encouragement would be my guess.

Benson was a turd...plain and simple. Was Thomas a turd when he started out, perhaps but all I know is the current (last 6 years) TJ and he seems to be a pretty good product. Maybe consummate was too strong a word, especially if you use its synonym of "perfect". How about perennial?

My problem is not the word consummate but the word professional. I just do not think of him when I think of professional.

Look, TJ is a hell of a RB, but any player who complains about his contract every couple years is not what I consider a professional. A player who cries about a contract he recently signed, and who then demands either a new deal or a trade, is not a professional.

Do you think NY would be unloading him if he had not made a big deal about his contract, or if he had not demanded a trade? If TJ was a player willing to share some reps w/ other RBs, do you think NY would be dumping him? I don't. I think NY is getting rid of a player who is set to cause problems on the team. If they don't cut him, he will continue his trade demands and continue to speak out about how unfair his contract is.

Go back to when he was with us. Do you think the team wanted to trade him? Based on what our staff said, sure didn't sound that way. But TJ demanded a trade, and only shut up when told he would be traded after the season. He goes to NY, gets the deal he wanted, and in two years starts demanding more money again, and/or a trade.

Sorry, I just don't think of him when I think of a professional. A great RB. Sure. He has a great all around game. He can run for power inside, has moves to cut it against the grain, and speed to turn the corner. He is a hell of a receiving threat, and a tremendous blocker. He has the total package. I will not argue this point. What I argue is calling him a professional.

Further, I question the fit for him back in Chicago, unless you just don't think anything of Forte and have no problem simply putting him on the bench. TJ is not a RB who wants to share the load, and I can't see him being happy in a situation where there is a young RB on the roster the team wants to play. Even if TJ gets the bulk of the carries, I think he would be unhappy. He wants to be "the man" and that is fine, but I don't think he would be a good fit for us.

I don't think I misunderstood. My post originally had to do with how I would like a lot to see TJ return to the Bears and how I thought he was a "consummate professional". My thought when I considered the word "consummate" was that he was near the complete package when it came to a team player and top performer. I don't know much about his personal character (which in today's world of felons and other suspended NFL players should weigh somehow) other than I have a hard time finding where it is he "complains" about much. His actions are most definitely louder than his words, especially on the field. His leadership is more the "lead by example" rather than the screaming and rabid type similar to Ray Lewis, he continues to perform (as I mentioned earlier for the last 5 years) even as he eclipses 30, where other "greats" start to show wear. As far as mentoring...not sure I follow you there. Where have you heard he was contrary? I remember him many times during games being one of the first to pat Cedric on the back when he did well or even when he didn't. What was being said? Probably words of encouragement would be my guess.

Benson was a turd...plain and simple. Was Thomas a turd when he started out, perhaps but all I know is the current (last 6 years) TJ and he seems to be a pretty good product. Maybe consummate was too strong a word, especially if you use its synonym of "perfect". How about perennial?