Angelo has $25m to play with

nfoligno

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/jensen/2078...-sean02.article

Per Sean Jensen of the Times, Angelo has been given permission to spend around $25m in "up front" money this offseason. As the report says, that number could climb w/ the release of Pace which saved a bit under $4m, and some other potential moves/ restructures.

Also as the report says, that likely will not be enough for Peppers. That number should be more than enough for Kampman, but a key issue is that we have many holes, and if we blow all our money on one player, we would be severly limiting in plugging the other holes.

Still, $25+m is a pretty solid amount to have to play with. It likely won't be enough for Peppers, but could still land us a pretty solid group of FAs. I expect us to go after a RB, but not one that would likely cost a ton upfront. If we do go after a blocking TE, again, that won't cost much. OL, DE and FS are the top needs, though I still think CB is up there. The question will be how much we can spread that money out between these position.

Guest TerraTor

Per Sean Jensen of the Times, Angelo has been given permission to spend around $25m in "up front" money this offseason. As the report says, that number could climb w/ the release of Pace which saved a bit under $4m, and some other potential moves/ restructures.

Also as the report says, that likely will not be enough for Peppers. That number should be more than enough for Kampman, but a key issue is that we have many holes, and if we blow all our money on one player, we would be severly limiting in plugging the other holes.

Still, $25+m is a pretty solid amount to have to play with. It likely won't be enough for Peppers, but could still land us a pretty solid group of FAs. I expect us to go after a RB, but not one that would likely cost a ton upfront. If we do go after a blocking TE, again, that won't cost much. OL, DE and FS are the top needs, though I still think CB is up there. The question will be how much we can spread that money out between these position.

Hmm. sounds like we are gonna do a typical Bears move and get the injured guy. Doesnt surprise me one bit.Impact FA's you say? Forget Robinson, Peppers, still get rolle. I dont see how chester taylor is impact and what lineman are available?

Unless I'm misreading the article, it doesn't say this. In fact, it says "...the entire McCaskey allotment could wind up going to Peppers." It sounds like the concern isn't that they couldn't afford him, it's that if they landed him there wouldn't be much left over to get anybody else. If "up-front money" means "committed for 2010," then $25 million would definitely be enough to get Peppers. Estimates vary on what kind of deal he'll get, but the reports I've read have said that he's looking for $18 million a year with $40 million guaranteed over the life of the contract, and that he's more likely to get in the neighborhood of $12 to $15 million annually with no more than $30 million in total guaranteed money. Now, some of that money is going to be a signing bonus, for sure, so the first year will cost the most. But there's no way that a deal with only $30 million guaranteed would cost $25 million in the first year.

Guest TerraTor
Unless I'm misreading the article, it doesn't say this. In fact, it says "...the entire McCaskey allotment could wind up going to Peppers." It sounds like the concern isn't that they couldn't afford him, it's that if they landed him there wouldn't be much left over to get anybody else. If "up-front money" means "committed for 2010," then $25 million would definitely be enough to get Peppers. Estimates vary on what kind of deal he'll get, but the reports I've read have said that he's looking for $18 million a year with $40 million guaranteed over the life of the contract, and that he's more likely to get in the neighborhood of $12 to $15 million annually with no more than $30 million in total guaranteed money. Now, some of that money is going to be a signing bonus, for sure, so the first year will cost the most. But there's no way that a deal with only $30 million guaranteed would cost $25 million in the first year.

I didnt take it that way either, i just thought thered be more of the kinda guys we normally target. I would love a healthy Kampman too, but thats exactly it. I dont see him being on the field and sitting on the PUP list. Again, the kinda guys we end up with

I'm flabbergasted that the Bears intend to be major players. Especially when it would appear most teams will be going on the cheap.

So what I'm wondering is this: Would we rather have a combination of Kampman and Rolle or should we go for broke and sign Peppers? Or should we try and fill all of these needs with good & affordable players? (I stay awake at night thinking, "Peppers could be that piece that makes the entire defense dominant again . . . or he could cause the team to implode")

We should also factor in that several teams will be cutting payroll and there might be a ton of good players available at a discount.

So what do we do?

Guest TerraTor
I'm flabbergasted that the Bears intend to be major players. Especially when it would appear most teams will be going on the cheap.

So what I'm wondering is this: Would we rather have a combination of Kampman and Rolle or should we go for broke and sign Peppers? Or should we try and fill all of these needs with good & affordable players? (I stay awake at night thinking, "Peppers could be that piece that makes the entire defense dominant again . . . or he could cause the team to implode")

We should also factor in that several teams will be cutting payroll and there might be a ton of good players available at a discount.

So what do we do?

As long as they arent band-aids or guys who will figure as starters in our eyes (guys who had never started before).

Dwight Freeney signed a six-year, $72 million contract with the team Friday that includes a $30 million signing bonus.

Wanna bet Peppers will be looking to make more than Freeney? That was $30m Freeney got up front in the form of a SB.

As for what the article says, your right. I went back and read it again. I read another article talking about how that allotment would not even be enough, and was mixing to two articles.

I still think it is going to be tough. Peppers is the top guy on the market, and a lot of teams seem ready to start the bidding. While $25m is a lot (a) If a Team like Wash decided they want him, $25m likely would not be enough and (B) at some point, doesn't Angelo have to make a decision whether he is best served by signing Peppers and a bunch of veteran minimum guys or as many as many three very good FAs.

Side question. Okay, we all know there is no cap this year. While the future is unknown, I think most of us expect the cap to return at some point. For an owner like Snyder, who has boat loads of cash to spend, would it not make sense to front load the hell out of the deal? If he offers Peppers a deal w/ similar overall numbers as others, but offers to front load it far more, that deal would look far more appealing. Further, whenever the cap is back in place, Peppers would not then be as great of a hit on the cap, which is a big deal for a team like Wash who seems to always be up against the cap.

Ihave asked the same, and have to say I think we are better off spreading the money around. That doesn't mean we use that money on 10 scrubs. But that is enough money to likely add a very solid (or better) DE, OL and FS. Most FAs after Peppers are going to look simply cheap. Peppers is going to get sick money. The 2nd most talked about DE is Kampman, but coming off injury, I can't see his contract being that high.

The thing I ask myself is, are we one player (even a great player) away on defense? On offense, we added a pro bowl player at the position which, more than any other, has a single impact on the team, and yet it wasn't enough due to the other holes. That, IMHO, goes to show how a group with many holes is not fixed with the addition of one player.

If we add Peppers to our defense, might it be improved? Sure. But how much? Looking at all the holes I see on defense, I struggle to see how Peppers suddenly makes this a good defense. On the other hand, if we were to add, for example only, Peppers and a solid FS (say Rolle as many like him) I think that could have a greater effect than if we added only Peppers.

So what do we do?

Ihave asked the same, and have to say I think we are better off spreading the money around. That doesn't mean we use that money on 10 scrubs. But that is enough money to likely add a very solid (or better) DE, OL and FS. Most FAs after Peppers are going to look simply cheap. Peppers is going to get sick money. The 2nd most talked about DE is Kampman, but coming off injury, I can't see his contract being that high.

The thing I ask myself is, are we one player (even a great player) away on defense? On offense, we added a pro bowl player at the position which, more than any other, has a single impact on the team, and yet it wasn't enough due to the other holes. That, IMHO, goes to show how a group with many holes is not fixed with the addition of one player.

If we add Peppers to our defense, might it be improved? Sure. But how much? Looking at all the holes I see on defense, I struggle to see how Peppers suddenly makes this a good defense. On the other hand, if we were to add, for example only, Peppers and a solid FS (say Rolle as many like him) I think that could have a greater effect than if we added only Peppers.

We keep hearing our secondary is god awful because the quarterback has time to drop back and eat a sandwhich. So if we could actually get to the damn quarterback, everything would dramatically improve . . . . in theory.

DE is our top priority. If we don't get Peppers, by far the next guy available is Kampman, who's injured. After Kampman, isn't the next best DE available Wale??? Ugh.

As for FS, there are a few "2nd tier" guys available we could target. But how big of an upgrade would they be?

I'm just fearful of us spending a ton of dough on good but not great players and not being vastly improved.

We keep hearing our secondary is god awful because the quarterback has time to drop back and eat a sandwhich. So if we could actually get to the damn quarterback, everything would dramatically improve . . . . in theory.

DE is our top priority. If we don't get Peppers, by far the next guy available is Kampman, who's injured. After Kampman, isn't the next best DE available Wale??? Ugh.

As for FS, there are a few "2nd tier" guys available we could target. But how big of an upgrade would they be?

I'm just fearful of us spending a ton of dough on good but not great players and not being vastly improved.

You answered your own question Bradjock. DL in general is our greatest need. Peppers can be boom or bust. (Just like Cutler) IMO - he is the only player out there "capable" of making the rest our the defense better. Peppers, healthy Url and Pisa, 90% Tommie and one surprise could make for an interesting defense.

This year in particular, we are going to have to get pressure and takeaways due to our offense. They will score, but will also give it back. If we are putting 20+ points every week, the D will have its chance to pin its ears back. We need a FS badly, but Peppers is the only X factor I see.

I don't think the Bears are really that limited. Would the Bears want to openly say they have 50M sitting out there in funds prior to going out and negotiating with Peppers? Absolutely not. I think this is more of a negotiating ploy to basically let Peppers and his agent know that they can't just bend the Bears over.

I don't think the Bears are really that limited. Would the Bears want to openly say they have 50M sitting out there in funds prior to going out and negotiating with Peppers? Absolutely not. I think this is more of a negotiating ploy to basically let Peppers and his agent know that they can't just bend the Bears over.

Excellent point!