Trade Olsen for Marshall?

Wesson44

Bears | Interested in Marshall?

Comment (0)

Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:06:48 -0800

Neil Hayes, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears could still potentially be in the running to acquire Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall in the offseason. Although general manager Jerry Angelo has said the wide receiver position is not a need for the team, one league source said Marshall could still be in a Bears uniform when training camp opens. The addition of Marshall would help QB Jay Cutler thrive in 2010.

Bears | Olsen on the trading block?

Comment (0)

Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:22:28 -0800

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports via Twitter Chicago Bears TE Greg Olsen's name has been rumored to be on the trading block.

-

Bears | Met with Peppers' representatives

Comment (0)

Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:13:31 -0800

The Chicago Tribune reports the Chicago Bears met with the representatives of Carolina Panthers impending free-agent DL Julius Peppers last weekend, according to sources.

Guest TerraTor
OK.

If we get Marshall for Olsen straight up, I'd do it.

Roll the dice....

I couldnt argue with that, may as well get Sheffler in FAgency then, haha

The Broncos wouldn't do it. Look at how they valued their receiving TE: they gave Tony Scheffler an original-pick tender, which almost ensures that he'll be gone. They're probably going to let Scheffler walk this offseason, because McDaniels doesn't like to use receiving TEs.

That said, if they were interested, I'm kind of torn. Marshall's a pretty unique talent at WR, but he comes with so much baggage. It's not just off the field stuff: Shanahan apparently got close to cutting Marshall over his poor route-running and concentration problems. On the other hand, if he's got his head on straight, he'd give us a top-tier receiver for a long time. The guy's only 25, and he's at least as talented as Olsen. That's a big part of it for me: we wouldn't necessarily be mortgaging the future, since Marshall and Olsen are both young and extremely talented. As much as I would hate to deal Olsen, and for all our young receivers' potential, bringing in Marshall would be tempting.

Marshall and Hester would be a great size/speed combination. Marshall's ability over the middle could free up Hester to run more of the deep/outside routes that he's better at. Plus, he'd keep Hester from being double-covered or bracketed all the time. Also, Marshall's kind of an ideal receiver for Cutler. He likes to have a go-to guy, and he likes to make risky throws into coverage. Marshall's frame and his strength make him one of those "even when he's covered, he's not covered" receivers, which Cutler clearly took advantage of in Denver.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-way trade go down: Olsen to a team like the Patriots, one of the Pats' 2nd-round picks to Denver, and Marshall to Chicago. If Lovie and company are satisfied that Marshall can stay out of trouble, that could pay off in a big way.