Peppers in Rolle out!

Wesson44

Chester Taylor visiting Bears on Friday, too

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:48 AM ET

Defensive end Julius Peppers won't be the only potential new Bears who's hanging out at Halas Hall on Friday. Running back Chester Taylor will be there, too.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Taylor is expected to visit the Bears on the first day of free agency.

In the Mike Martz offense, Taylor could be a Mike Martz/Priest Holmes-style weapon, given his ability to catch the ball.

Except when it's squirting out of his hands, and then being intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

Redskins out, Bears in for Peppers

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:32 AM ET

Not even 30 minutes into the launch of the free agency period, ESPN's Adam Schefter says that there's a "league-wide expectation" that defensive end Julius Peppers is heading to the Bears.

Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reports that a visit already has been arranged, and that Peppers has a "strong interest" in joining Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and Tommie Harris on the Chicago defense.

Bryant McKinnie just peed a little.

Meanwhile, a league source tells us that the Redskins are out. For most of the first half hour of free agency, G.M. Bruce Allen was communicating with persons other than Peppers' agent, Carl Carey.

We've spoken with Lance Zierlein of KGOW and the Houston Chronicle regarding the change, given that Zierlein was convinced Peppers would be heading to D.C. -- and given that Zierlein had it nailed last year regarding the signing of Albert Haynesworth by the Redskins. Zierlein says that, even though everything was pointing to the Redskins and Peppers on Thursday night, "something happened" to put the Bears in the driver's seat. It could be that Peppers simply wants to play for Rod Marinelli, and that he wants to avoid a 3-4 defense.

Bears drop out of race for Rolle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 12:13 AM ET

With the Bears' having swinging for the fences for Julius Peppers, we're hearing Chicago has dropped out of the Antrel Rolle sweepstakes.

Rolle is seeking to make $8-million-per-season, which would make him the highest paid safety in the league. That was deemed too rich by the Bears.

It now looks like a three-team race, with the Cardinals a big underdog to the Giants and Dolphins.

It's worth noting that New York's interest in Rolle could indicate some serious concern about Kenny Phillips' recovery. And Miami's interest doesn't sound good for Gibril Wilson's future with the Dolphins.

As free agency opens, Bears plan to "come out swinging" for Peppers

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:01 AM ET

Amid rumors that the Redskins are making a big push for defensive end Julius Peppers, we're now hearing that the Chicago Bears plan to "come out swinging" in the hopes of landing the consensus top free agent in the 2010 class.

A league source tells us that the numbers have gotten to the point where the Eagles have dropped out, and that the Seahawks were never serious players for Peppers.

Peppers' choice should be about more than money. In Chicago, he'd be operating in a 4-3 defense as an end. In Washington, he'll most likely move to outside linebacker in a 3-4.

So stay tuned. The market is open, and the shoppers are streaming into the store.

Permalink 26 Comments

I still have questions about Peppers (a) does he mail it in once getting that fat contract and (B) how much will we have to spend if we do in fact sign him.

Peppers is awesome, and if we do add him, I can only hope he plays with fire to prove his worth. As for the 2nd question, I still don't see how we can sign much more, but if the rumors are true and we could get Atogwe and Chester Taylor, along w/ Peppers, that would be one hell of an offseason.

Chester Taylor visiting Bears on Friday, too

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:48 AM ET

Defensive end Julius Peppers won't be the only potential new Bears who's hanging out at Halas Hall on Friday. Running back Chester Taylor will be there, too.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Taylor is expected to visit the Bears on the first day of free agency.

In the Mike Martz offense, Taylor could be a Mike Martz/Priest Holmes-style weapon, given his ability to catch the ball.

Except when it's squirting out of his hands, and then being intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

Redskins out, Bears in for Peppers

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:32 AM ET

Not even 30 minutes into the launch of the free agency period, ESPN's Adam Schefter says that there's a "league-wide expectation" that defensive end Julius Peppers is heading to the Bears.

Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reports that a visit already has been arranged, and that Peppers has a "strong interest" in joining Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and Tommie Harris on the Chicago defense.

Bryant McKinnie just peed a little.

Meanwhile, a league source tells us that the Redskins are out. For most of the first half hour of free agency, G.M. Bruce Allen was communicating with persons other than Peppers' agent, Carl Carey.

We've spoken with Lance Zierlein of KGOW and the Houston Chronicle regarding the change, given that Zierlein was convinced Peppers would be heading to D.C. -- and given that Zierlein had it nailed last year regarding the signing of Albert Haynesworth by the Redskins. Zierlein says that, even though everything was pointing to the Redskins and Peppers on Thursday night, "something happened" to put the Bears in the driver's seat. It could be that Peppers simply wants to play for Rod Marinelli, and that he wants to avoid a 3-4 defense.

Bears drop out of race for Rolle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 12:13 AM ET

With the Bears' having swinging for the fences for Julius Peppers, we're hearing Chicago has dropped out of the Antrel Rolle sweepstakes.

Rolle is seeking to make $8-million-per-season, which would make him the highest paid safety in the league. That was deemed too rich by the Bears.

It now looks like a three-team race, with the Cardinals a big underdog to the Giants and Dolphins.

It's worth noting that New York's interest in Rolle could indicate some serious concern about Kenny Phillips' recovery. And Miami's interest doesn't sound good for Gibril Wilson's future with the Dolphins.

As free agency opens, Bears plan to "come out swinging" for Peppers

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 12:01 AM ET

Amid rumors that the Redskins are making a big push for defensive end Julius Peppers, we're now hearing that the Chicago Bears plan to "come out swinging" in the hopes of landing the consensus top free agent in the 2010 class.

A league source tells us that the numbers have gotten to the point where the Eagles have dropped out, and that the Seahawks were never serious players for Peppers.

Peppers' choice should be about more than money. In Chicago, he'd be operating in a 4-3 defense as an end. In Washington, he'll most likely move to outside linebacker in a 3-4.

So stay tuned. The market is open, and the shoppers are streaming into the store.

Permalink 26 Comments

No kidding, and the thing is that I am not totally shocked bout this either. I believe the reason that we are opening up big is because JA and company don't feel like being fired.

Micheal Lombardi just posted on twitter "Peppers on his way to Chicago, not to visit the campus, but to sign deal. Bears won this one.

Micheal Lombardi just posted on twitter "Peppers on his way to Chicago, not to visit the campus, but to sign deal. Bears won this one.

Good move sending Lovie to play guard dog. My reservations are still there on Peppers. Like I said before, he is the one out there that can make the difference on our defense. On that alone, I am more optimistic than I would have been with anyone else coming.

Good move sending Lovie to play guard dog. My reservations are still there on Peppers. Like I said before, he is the one out there that can make the difference on our defense. On that alone, I am more optimistic than I would have been with anyone else coming.

I have reservations too, however, like someone said in another post, the fact that the Bears are going this hard after the top free agent is exciting in itself. Kind of like the Cutler trade. I thought we gave up too much, but I applauded the bold move.

What I like is that, thus far, it appears FA doesn't begin AND end w/ Peppers. It seems like, even after Peppers, we still are keeping active. Look like we will sign that TE, and Chester Taylor looks like a strong possibility. Now if we could swing Atogwe into the mix (or another solid FS) that would be one hell of a FA.

I had reservations about peppers, but a key issue was whether we would have enough money left over after to fill other holes.

I have reservations too, however, like someone said in another post, the fact that the Bears are going this hard after the top free agent is exciting in itself. Kind of like the Cutler trade. I thought we gave up too much, but I applauded the bold move.

I worry that Peppers wants to come to Chicago for the wrong reasons. Every time they do those surveys of which coaches players would like to play for, Lovie's at or near the top of the list, and I really think it's because he has a reputation for being soft on his players. I think the perception around the league is that guys don't have to work very hard in Chicago, and I've been reading that Peppers' interest in the Bears started after talking to Dante Wesley and Chris Harris about what it was like to play there. The guy's effort is a major concern, even with his ridiculous talent. He didn't even play hard consistently when he was trying to get a new deal out of Carolina. I hope he's not choosing Chicago because he's planning to mail it in after one last payday.

That said, even if he only turns it on about as often as he did for the Panthers the last two seasons, he'll still be a good-not-great addition. And he'll have some cupcake matchups in the NFC North: TJ Lang's only serviceable, Bryant McKinnie has major trouble with speed rushers, and Jeff Backus is just terrible. The three of them could make Peppers look pretty good, if only for six games a year.

Guest TerraTor
I worry that Peppers wants to come to Chicago for the wrong reasons. Every time they do those surveys of which coaches players would like to play for, Lovie's at or near the top of the list, and I really think it's because he has a reputation for being soft on his players. I think the perception around the league is that guys don't have to work very hard in Chicago, and I've been reading that Peppers' interest in the Bears started after talking to Dante Wesley and Chris Harris about what it was like to play there. The guy's effort is a major concern, even with his ridiculous talent. He didn't even play hard consistently when he was trying to get a new deal out of Carolina. I hope he's not choosing Chicago because he's planning to mail it in after one last payday.

That said, even if he only turns it on about as often as he did for the Panthers the last two seasons, he'll still be a good-not-great addition. And he'll have some cupcake matchups in the NFC North: TJ Lang's only serviceable, Bryant McKinnie has major trouble with speed rushers, and Jeff Backus is just terrible. The three of them could make Peppers look pretty good, if only for six games a year.

they go wherever money is.... why else would anyone sign with Detroit.. imean they just signed Nate Fuggin Burleson... HA!

A former player of Peppers was quoted as saying Julius at 80% is better than 95% of the league. And he went on to say that Peppers wants to be great in a major city and that this former player actually think Peppers best years are ahead of him and that Chicago is the perfect fit since we let our DE's go after the QB and rarely drop them into coverage.

Thats my worry too. Hopefully he can get in and get the job done.

That's pretty much what I have been thinking as well. Peppers relies on his athleticism sometimes in games rather than his will or drive to dominate his man. I remember someone saying he doesn't love the game and IMO the only reason he'd come to Chicago is because they'd offer him the most money. That's it. I still think he can be a dominant player for atleast 2 more seasons but after that, his contract is going to be hellacious to get away from. It's a very risky move for the Bears but in an Uncapped year, why not?