Peppers Signed

lemonej

according to ESPN radio the Sun-times is reporting he is signed 6yrs 72 million with 37 million guaranteed

Something to cheer about! There's this years' first round pick for us. Hey, who needs the draft?

I think it's interesting to note that last year's #3 overall pick, DE Tyson Jackson, got a deal worth $57 million over five years with $31 million guaranteed. Free agency might generate a lot of crazy contracts, but it's still much more fiscally reasonable than drafting at the top of the draft.

I think it's interesting to note that last year's #3 overall pick, DE Tyson Jackson, got a deal worth $57 million over five years with $31 million guaranteed. Free agency might generate a lot of crazy contracts, but it's still much more fiscally reasonable than drafting at the top of the draft.

Oh, you know it. Pay the FA, but the untested draft pick? I just don't get how owners havn't put a cap on rookie salaries yet.

Which is why that is one of the few things I believe will absolutely be changed in the new CBA.

Great post. I have absolutely NO problem with Jerry and the crew getting rid of first and second round picks if it means they pick up proven all-star talent with the money that would otherwise have gone to an untested rookie. Bravo JA.

I think this is better than having a Top 5 pick. But otherwise the draft is incredibly important. That said, I think the Bears have done incredibly well assuming this deal is done and finalized.

If they can address the safety position and than maybe add an olineman than It'll be a dream come true. Who knows what else is planned, but the defense is already a lot better.

Great post. I have absolutely NO problem with Jerry and the crew getting rid of first and second round picks if it means they pick up proven all-star talent with the money that would otherwise have gone to an untested rookie. Bravo JA.

Peppers contract is expected to give him 20M in up-front cash. 7M will go to Taylor in up-front cash and 6M to Mamu.

That would be a total of 33M in up-front cash the Bears just doled out on Day 1 of FA. That is a huge huge statement by the McCaskeys!!!

And all that hit is taken in an uncapped year.

Really odd to see so many different contract totals. This is the latest:

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Julius Peppers' six-year deal with the Bears is worth a record-setting $91.5 million.

So is it 72 million, 79 million, or 91 million?

Really odd to see so many different contract totals. This is the latest:

So is it 72 million, 79 million, or 91 million?

That's the first time I heard 91 million. I highly doubt that it is. There is a huge difference between 72 and 91 and most reports out there from what I have seen are saying its 6 years 72 million.

Peppers contract is expected to give him 20M in up-front cash. 7M will go to Taylor in up-front cash and 6M to Mamu.

That would be a total of 33M in up-front cash the Bears just doled out on Day 1 of FA. That is a huge huge statement by the McCaskeys!!!

That would mesh with the story we heard that the Bears had 25 million $$$ to spend this offseason. We dumped Pace which saved an additional 4 million. If we plan on dumping Vasher, trading Olsen or Dez Clark, it's not hard to see us getting to 33 million.

It also means we'll be unlikely to make another significant move. Of course, if we don't do anything else, we've already had a pretty good off-season.

Then again, you have to wonder how watered down the info is by the time it gets to fans. $25m may have never been a hard number, but a ballpark range. Hell, $25m may have been what ownership was thinking for Peppers.

Whatever the original number was, I think we have already gone over it, and frankly, I don't think it has so much to do w/ who we can cut as it does Peppers. I think it was all about Peppers. The number was more a measuring point of him. If Wash (for example) got involved and started jacking up the price such that $25m would have been 1/2 what was needed, then it would not happen. Point is, I don't think the $25m budget was ever a hard budget for FA, but more about peppers.

By the start of the season, I can easily see us going over $40m. I mean, we are in the low $30s now, and I can still see FS and an OL added. You also see a group of cheap guys added, but those guys add up. Then there is the draft.

That would mesh with the story we heard that the Bears had 25 million $$$ to spend this offseason. We dumped Pace which saved an additional 4 million. If we plan on dumping Vasher, trading Olsen or Dez Clark, it's not hard to see us getting to 33 million.

It also means we'll be unlikely to make another significant move. Of course, if we don't do anything else, we've already had a pretty good off-season.