Jason LaFonca on Forte

DABEARSDABOMB

-Bears brass believes success went to his head after rookie year.

-They werent at all impressed with his work ethic last off-season as he spent most of his time in Tulane.

You know this happens a lot with young players, especially with someone of Forte's caliber. It's that infamous "Sophmore slump" that so many refer to. It has many facets and symptoms but usually and commonly occurs to a player who comes out year one and does well, makes headlines then the 2nd year expectations are such that the player has a hard time meeting them especially as other teams learn more about these players. Pair that with the new found wealth and "fame" sometimes it is a little bit much for a 20 something kid to soak in all at once.

From what I've seen of Forte, I wouldn't be surprised that he gets his head on straight and with the addition of a player like Taylor will realize that it is time for him do the best he can and get back to where he was two years ago. Taylor, IMHO, looks to be the exact type of player that Forte can use to better his career. Good role model and good work ethic.

At this point in his career Forte already has to start thinking about his next contract. One good season and one subpar season does not turn into a huge signing bonus. Now I feel he has a legitimate threat to compete with too. While I don't view Taylor as a full-time RB he could end up with the majority of snaps if Forte doesn't get his act together.

Since this is the first I've ever heard Forte's work ethic questioned, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

For me, he was injured this year. Simple as that.

I do like the Taylor signing to take a load off of Forte and now he wont have to play through an injury with another legit back on the roster.

Yea, I just don't know that we want to make more of this than it is.

Forte had a solid rookie year, but not 2nd year. Part of the problem was OL, few would question that, but part of the problem was also Forte. Injury talked about, and I think there is little question that was an issue. There may be some other stuff, but at the end of the day, we needed a RB, and added one. I think some may forget that Kevin Jones was expected to shoulder a fair bit of the burden this past year but injury prevented that from happening. We needed a player for depth, but who could also share the load. Taylor is a great fit in that regard. He can be a compliment, or step in to be more. Good fit for Martz, and while the money is more than some may have planned to spend at RB, it isn't that high, nor "off" for Taylor's value.

Since this is the first I've ever heard Forte's work ethic questioned, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I do like the Taylor signing to take a load off of Forte and now he wont have to play through an injury with another legit back on the roster.

I think it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. He went to finish his degree at Tulane in the offseason, which is a perfectly valid thing for a young player to do. But from what I've heard, he showed up looking a little soft after that, and his conditioning wasn't great. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that had something to do with his MCL and hamstring injuries. With some bona fide competition from Taylor to motivate him and a full offseason devoted to training rather than classes, I don't doubt that Forte will bounce back.

Now I just have to laugh. Some NFL Network guy, in making his case that Forte was essentially blowing off the offseason, says he was spending most of his time at Tulane. The impression, IMHO, from that is of a player who was hanging out w/ college friends and having fun, but as you point out, he was at Tulane to finish up his degree. Maybe fans would rather he spend all his time in the weight room, but getting his degree is a legit reason to hang at his old school. And like you said, it was explained that he had an injury and needed surgury, right? Thus he likely couldn't do a ton of training anyway.

Maybe there is some issue here, but when you consider why he was "spending all his time at Tulane" and the medical issues, the original comments seem a bit weak. If he pulls a Marcus Harrison and shows up to camp soft, over-weight and out of shape, that is one thing, but it is early March. Bit to early to rip a player for not being in NFL shape.

I think it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. He went to finish his degree at Tulane in the offseason, which is a perfectly valid thing for a young player to do. But from what I've heard, he showed up looking a little soft after that, and his conditioning wasn't great. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that had something to do with his MCL and hamstring injuries. With some bona fide competition from Taylor to motivate him and a full offseason devoted to training rather than classes, I don't doubt that Forte will bounce back.

I still simply have to question the report. He reports the team isn't happy Forte spent so much time at Tulane, and that puts a very negative shadow around Forte, but then to read Forte was trying to complete his education puts a very different spin on the situation. Further, he makes no mention, or gives thought, to Forte coming off injury and players coming off injury are not often able to keep up the same offseason program.

Now, if he made a comment about the team not being happy because Forte was skipping his rehab assignments or something like that, it would be different. I just think many are looking for something that may not be there. Report aside, we all felt we needed to add a RB. We had an issue w/ depth, just allowed AP to leave, and Forte playing through injury highlighted the need for depth. We added a RB who can be depth, can serve as a compliment as Kevin Smith was expected to, and is a solid fit for Martz system.

He's not just some NFL Network guy though. He was spot on and the first to report all of the Bears major news recently, so I think he's got a pretty good source within the org.

I still simply have to question the report. He reports the team isn't happy Forte spent so much time at Tulane, and that puts a very negative shadow around Forte, but then to read Forte was trying to complete his education puts a very different spin on the situation. Further, he makes no mention, or gives thought, to Forte coming off injury and players coming off injury are not often able to keep up the same offseason program.

Now, if he made a comment about the team not being happy because Forte was skipping his rehab assignments or something like that, it would be different. I just think many are looking for something that may not be there. Report aside, we all felt we needed to add a RB. We had an issue w/ depth, just allowed AP to leave, and Forte playing through injury highlighted the need for depth. We added a RB who can be depth, can serve as a compliment as Kevin Smith was expected to, and is a solid fit for Martz system.

I think the Bears supported Forte finishing his degree at Tulane but I have no doubt he went there with a solid workout routine. Perhaps his effort in those workouts wasn't what the Bears expected? There's no reason to think the Bears weren't in contact with the trainers at Tulane to check on his progress.

You can question the report, but for whatever reason, the Bears aren't thrilled with Forte. He's a good receiver and a good blocking back which makes him ideal in Martz's system. So why did we make rb one of our top priorities? The SCORE guys are predicting that Taylor will be the starter. Are we not thrilled with Forte's ability? Is it his work ethic? Why was it so important to get arguably the top FA running-back when there are a ton available?

The article does helps explain why we were anxious to sign Forte's possible replacement.

Again, I just wonder though about the injury factor. He was coming off injury, and that usually leads to players not being able to be dedicated to the weight room. Either way, I will worry when I see him showing up to mini-camp and camp out of shape, ala Marcus Harrison. Not when there is rumor of his being out of shape in early March.

I think the Bears supported Forte finishing his degree at Tulane but I have no doubt he went there with a solid workout routine. Perhaps his effort in those workouts wasn't what the Bears expected? There's no reason to think the Bears weren't in contact with the trainers at Tulane to check on his progress.

Or maybe they were simply not impressed with his running this past season.

You can question the report, but for whatever reason, the Bears aren't thrilled with Forte. He's a good receiver and a good blocking back which makes him ideal in Martz's system. So why did we make rb one of our top priorities? The SCORE guys are predicting that Taylor will be the starter. Are we not thrilled with Forte's ability? Is it his work ethic? Why was it so important to get arguably the top FA running-back when there are a ton available?

The article does helps explain why we were anxious to sign Forte's possible replacement.

It wouldn't be the first time a rookie came in and had alot of success in his rookie season only to look like a journeyman his second year. I thought Forte had a hamstring issue very early and it never went away. It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities that he just didn't work that hard in the off-season and the Bears knew it. Face it, with THIS coaching staff, who would know the difference?

Or maybe they were simply not impressed with his running this past season.