Bears Mock I

ASHKUM BEAR

Using drafttek for slot selections, here is my mock after todays key FA signings.

2-47 (from New England/Olsen) Vladimir Ducasse OG UMass

3-75 Major Wright FS Florida

4-106 Mike Neal DT Pur

5-137 Marcus Easley WR UConn

6-171 Brian Jackson CB OKL

7-202 Erik Cook C New Mex

Since the Bears addressed some key needs in FA, they will turn to the draft to add some youth to the mix. The decision to trade Greg Olsen was a tough one, but the Bears brass knew they would have to part ways when they decided to hire Mike Martz (thus the reasoning it took so long to decide). They recieved the second of New Englands second rounders and with that draft OG Vladimir Ducasse from U Mass. Ducasse is 6-4 332 and is more known for being a road grader, but can hold his own in pass protection. The Bears were hot on Antrel Rolles tail before FA officially started, but bowed out when he wouldn't budge on making 8 million a year and becoming the highest paid safety. They decided to pursue their FS in a deep draft and pick Major Wright from Florida. Jerry Angelo can't have a draft without a defensive lineman. In the fifth round, he selects Purdue DT Mike Neal. Neal has some speed and is also considered a tweener DT/DE. The Bears can put him in the redshirt closet for a year to see if Harris can come out of his funk. Marcus Easley is a raw WR prospect from Connecticut with some size and speed. 6-3 210, the Bears hope with time he can become the big target Cutler covets. Brian Jackson from Oklahoma is a nice size CB that can be physical. With the 7th RD pick, the Bears take NFL'er Ryan Cook's brother from New Mexico. Erik Cook can groom behind Kreutz and gives the Bears an option to keep Beekman as a backup swingman for C/G. This draft will only bring two guys they hope can contribute right away in Ducasse and Wright. The following guys will battle for ST's and practice squad positions if they don't get redshirted.

My hopes, not using draftek, but rather, how I'm thinking things will shake out. Same needs, same Olsen trade, different strategy:

2. Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech (in a deep safety, I'm thinking he or Nate Allen falls here)

3. John Jerry, OG, Miss (as you said, need a big, mauling guard)

4. Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA (productive, playmaking corner who is ready to compete right away)

5. Earl Mitchell, DT, Arizona (penatrating DT)

6. Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green (won't wow in shorts, but catches everything in games)

7. Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford (legit potential RT or G who helped pave the way for Toby Gerhart)

Guest TerraTor
My hopes, not using draftek, but rather, how I'm thinking things will shake out. Same needs, same Olsen trade, different strategy:

2. Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech (in a deep safety, I'm thinking he or Nate Allen falls here)

4. Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA (productive, playmaking corner who is ready to compete right away)

6. Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green (won't wow in shorts, but catches everything in games)

7. Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford (legit potential RT or G who helped pave the way for Toby Gerhart)

Replace Verner with Myron Lewis (Vanderbilt of course) Better size and speed

Love 2nd and 3rd

I'd love Burnett/Allen and Jerry in the 2nd and 3rd. If we can get Allen or Burnett, I think I'd be OK with dealing Olsen: either of them could step in immediately and contribute at least as much at FS as Olsen does at TE. And Jerry could be a Leonard Davis-type bulldozer at guard, or even kick out to right tackle. He could give the staff some flexibility to find out what Omiyale's position really is and stick him there. Here's what I'd do if I were the Bears:

2. Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech or Nate Allen, FS, South Florida - starter at free safety, nuff said

3. John Jerry, OG/RT, Ole Miss - should help out the run game immensely

4. TJ Ward, SS, Oregon - I'm not sold on any of our current safeties, and Manning needs to move back to nickel corner where he belongs. Plus, Ward loves to hit, and Oregon's DBs have been tearing it up in the NFL lately.

5. Alric Arnett, WR, WVU - looks like he could develop into an ideal Mike Martz receiver. Tall wideout with good hands, can pull in one-handed catches easily. Looks like a legitimate deep threat, tracks the ball exceedingly well down the field, and is a slick route-runner. Needs to bulk up and will be a little bit of a developmental project, but has Chris Henry-type upside.

6. Walter Thurmond, CB, Oregon - has top-75 ability and was more productive in college than either Jairus Byrd or Patrick Chung. His knee will have to check out medically, but he's a starting-caliber corner if he's healthy. Equally good in man and zone coverage, great ballhawk, reliable tackler.

7. Will Barker, RT, Virginia - latest in a string of UVa offensive linemen. Bookended D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Branden Albert, and Eugene Monroe. Durable long-term starter on the right side, has pretty good technique, but will need some work on his balance/lateral agility to make the jump to the NFL. Great frame (6'7" 317 pounds) but limited athleticism.

I really like this one too! Covering the same needs just in a little different order.

All these mocks are assuming that we'll deal Olsen for a 2nd.

Thanks. But I don't see them trading Olsen. Won't be surprised if it happens, but he can catch and Martz likes to throw. Maybe, if he's not traded, they move him off the line more often.

Thanks. But I don't see them trading Olsen. Won't be surprised if it happens, but he can catch and Martz likes to throw. Maybe, if he's not traded, they move him off the line more often.

They will trade Olsen, but unfortuately wont get a 2nd for him. Bodin went for a 3 and 4. We will be lucky to get a 3, and probably a 4. Olsen was suppose to be the nex great TE. He isnt a good blocker, was last at his position at YAC , dropped to many balls. Sorry a fast TE than doesnt do much else, isnt going to make in for Martz.

They will trade Olsen, but unfortuately wont get a 2nd for him. Bodin went for a 3 and 4. We will be lucky to get a 3, and probably a 4. Olsen was suppose to be the nex great TE. He isnt a good blocker, was last at his position at YAC , dropped to many balls. Sorry a fast TE than doesnt do much else, isnt going to make in for Martz.

Everyone is using the Boldin trade to determine value for a player like Olsen. Boldin is much older, hit his peak (especially with Warner/Cards high power offense) and his contract is fairly high and he wants more $$. Olsen has two years remaining on his rookie contract, hasn't hit his peak yet and is showing some promise as an elite TE prospect. I'm not sure Olsen is worth a 2nd, but it's close IMO.

Everyone is using the Boldin trade to determine value for a player like Olsen. Boldin is much older, hit his peak (especially with Warner/Cards high power offense) and his contract is fairly high and he wants more $$. Olsen has two years remaining on his rookie contract, hasn't hit his peak yet and is showing some promise as an elite TE prospect. I'm not sure Olsen is worth a 2nd, but it's close IMO.

This exactly. Trade value is based on the player's ability measured against his probable longevity and how expensive his contract is. Olsen could easily play for another 8 years. Boldin's going to be 30 this season, and he gets hurt a lot (although to his credit, he's played through some nasty injuries.) I'd be surprised if he has more than 3 or 4 years left in the tank.

Last offseason, when Boldin was a year younger and still had some cheap years left on his contract, teams were offering a 2nd for him. Now he's a year older and he's more expensive, and he went for a 3rd and a 4th. Olsen's salary and roster bonuses for 2010 and 2011 put together are only $1,465,732. Boldin's costing the Ravens $10 mil in guaranteed money over 4 years, making him more than three times as expensive as Olsen. That's definitely a consideration in determining trade value.

I'm not saying the Bears would be smart to trade Olsen. I wish that they wouldn't. But if they do, there's no way his market value would be less than a 2nd.

This exactly. Trade value is based on the player's ability measured against his probable longevity and how expensive his contract is. Olsen could easily play for another 8 years. Boldin's going to be 30 this season, and he gets hurt a lot (although to his credit, he's played through some nasty injuries.) I'd be surprised if he has more than 3 or 4 years left in the tank.

Last offseason, when Boldin was a year younger and still had some cheap years left on his contract, teams were offering a 2nd for him. Now he's a year older and he's more expensive, and he went for a 3rd and a 4th. Olsen's salary and roster bonuses for 2010 and 2011 put together are only $1,465,732. Boldin's costing the Ravens $10 mil in guaranteed money over 4 years, making him more than three times as expensive as Olsen. That's definitely a consideration in determining trade value.

I'm not saying the Bears would be smart to trade Olsen. I wish that they wouldn't. But if they do, there's no way his market value would be less than a 2nd.

I wish we could get a #1 for him but the reality of him as an elite TE is elite doesnt fit. All some one has to do is watch tape on him last year. I took him as my TE in three of my fantasy leagues, and way over valved him. If someone gives us a #2 for him they GM wont be long in his job. I would hope for a #3 at best.