Yahoo Sports article

Alaskan Grizzly

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-b...o&type=lgns

Not a bad article but I am not sure exactly how to go with it. In one hand the writer states the obvious in that Lovie, Angelo and crew are on the last straw and then he writes that he speculates (like many of you expressed concern) that the signing of Peppers may not work out.

The one point in particular is how Robinson thinks that Peppers may not be the leader the Bears need but I ask what about Urlacher? I think he is the undisputed leader on Defense. And don't forget that there are players like Briggs, Tinoisamoa, Harris and Tillman still on the roster that really aren't all that shabby.

Anyhow, maybe someone else had a different insight???

I still have to say that yesterday rated right up there with Super Bowl XX, the signing of Cutler and watching Payton set the rushing yards record (before E. Smith broke it later).

I have said this for some time, but still believe today we lack leadership. You mention veterans, but that doesn't mean leaders. Urlacher is the face of the franchise (or has been). He will be remembered as one of the Bear LB Greats. But, with that said, he is a leader by example at best. I can't say I have ever seen him directing players or lining them up. He goes about his business, and his play is such that it carries over and affects others. I don't think he is a field general. I don't think he is the sort to light up the locker room and pump up the players. When the team is down, I don't see him giving a rah rah speech. He may be a team captain, but he is no general.

I would say similar about most other solid veterans on the team. Brown, Briggs, Tillman and others are solid in all ways, but simply not really "leaders" as I describe above. In fact, something I think may be as telling as anything is this. Last year, Afalava was not even expected to start, being a later 2nd day draft pick and rookie. Yet he came in, did well, and earned a spot. But more important to this is, I read story after story about how this rookie instantly assumed a leadership role. He was barking at veterans on the field, calling out offensive alignments, switches, coverages, etc and telling our guys to shift this way or that way. Our team lacked leadership to the point that a rookie was able to come in an assume the role.

I have argued for Atogwe, and still would love to add him. But as I think about it, maybe Sharper is the best candidate for us. He is a leader, and could bring some of what our team lacks.

Not a bad article but I am not sure exactly how to go with it. In one hand the writer states the obvious in that Lovie, Angelo and crew are on the last straw and then he writes that he speculates (like many of you expressed concern) that the signing of Peppers may not work out.

The one point in particular is how Robinson thinks that Peppers may not be the leader the Bears need but I ask what about Urlacher? I think he is the undisputed leader on Defense. And don't forget that there are players like Briggs, Tinoisamoa, Harris and Tillman still on the roster that really aren't all that shabby.

I still have to say that yesterday rated right up there with Super Bowl XX, the signing of Cutler and watching Payton set the rushing yards record (before E. Smith broke it later).

I dont know where I read it, but I read that part of the reason that he wanted to go to Chicago was that he could be just another piece in the puzzle and not the "leader" like he had to be in Carolina. With Url and Briggs, they can kind of take the heat off of him.

Plus I read where he wanted to get back to a pure 4-3 where he wouldn't be asked to drop into coverage.

So those things were good to hear for me, because I had doubts about his desire.

We shall see though.

I read one reason he liked Chicago was he wanted to be on big city team, w/ a national stage. I doubt he was racking up the big sponsorships, which can equate to big dollars, in Carolina. You hear this all the time. Players want to move to big markets like NY, Chicago, LA etc to rake in the endorcements. Look at Urlacher, and his deals. He adds tons of cash through endorsements.

I dont know where I read it, but I read that part of the reason that he wanted to go to Chicago was that he could be just another piece in the puzzle and not the "leader" like he had to be in Carolina. With Url and Briggs, they can kind of take the heat off of him.

Plus I read where he wanted to get back to a pure 4-3 where he wouldn't be asked to drop into coverage.

So those things were good to hear for me, because I had doubts about his desire.

We shall see though.

We shall see though.

I think we all have doubts about Peppers desire. For me it comes down to one question: Does he really desire to be in the Hall of Fame?

I have said this for some time, but still believe today we lack leadership. You mention veterans, but that doesn't mean leaders. Urlacher is the face of the franchise (or has been). He will be remembered as one of the Bear LB Greats. But, with that said, he is a leader by example at best. I can't say I have ever seen him directing players or lining them up. He goes about his business, and his play is such that it carries over and affects others. I don't think he is a field general. I don't think he is the sort to light up the locker room and pump up the players. When the team is down, I don't see him giving a rah rah speech. He may be a team captain, but he is no general.

I would say similar about most other solid veterans on the team. Brown, Briggs, Tillman and others are solid in all ways, but simply not really "leaders" as I describe above. In fact, something I think may be as telling as anything is this. Last year, Afalava was not even expected to start, being a later 2nd day draft pick and rookie. Yet he came in, did well, and earned a spot. But more important to this is, I read story after story about how this rookie instantly assumed a leadership role. He was barking at veterans on the field, calling out offensive alignments, switches, coverages, etc and telling our guys to shift this way or that way. Our team lacked leadership to the point that a rookie was able to come in an assume the role.

I have argued for Atogwe, and still would love to add him. But as I think about it, maybe Sharper is the best candidate for us. He is a leader, and could bring some of what our team lacks.

GREAT point of view. I'd love to see Sharper signed. He's got great instincts, he's always around the ball, and he'd provide the vet leadership the Bears desperately need.

I am just so torn as to Sharper vs Atogwe.

In Sharper, you do not have a player who is going to give you a high level of play for many more years. Frankly, at his age (34, will be 35 by mid season) his downturn could come at any time. I also personally have one other concern. You look at Sharper's career, and it is pretty impressive. 8 impressive years with GB. 4 with Minny and the 1 with NO. After signing w/ Minny, he initially looked great, but his play seemed to go down each year. He was still considered solid, but no longer a big time player, until this past year in Greg Williams scheme. I do fear some that his recent return to greatness is more about his fit in that scheme, and if we signed him, he could look more like the player in Minny, who finished his last year there with low numbers in most categories.

At the same time, even if he was only a solid player, he is a leader who could elevate the play of others around him. Even if he is not the stud he was this past year, his experience and leadership could elevate the play of our secondary, which has two young starters (Bowman and whoever starts at SS).

Then there is Atogwe. I have to admit, I have no idea about his leadership ability. I have never read about him being considered a great leader, though that may simply be due to playing an a dreadful defense. But the point is, this quality is more of an unknown compared to Sharper. On the other hand, he is only 28 years old, and only has 6 years of wear to his name, compared to Sharpers 13 years. In Atogwe, you would not be looking at a short term fix, but a long term fixture. Atogwe's best years in Stl came when they played the cover two, compared to more recent when they shifted to a different system. This is the opposite of Sharper, who didn't seem to play at his top level in our system.

At the end of the day, I would be happy with either, but if I were to choose, I would take Atogwe. While he may not bring the leadership Sharper would, he would be a long term fixture at a position we have not seen solid play at for a long time. Further, the scheme aspect is a big concern, and I think Atogwe would simply be a much better fit than Sharper.

GREAT point of view. I'd love to see Sharper signed. He's got great instincts, he's always around the ball, and he'd provide the vet leadership the Bears desperately need.

Nothing compares to SB XX...not any super bowl or sports moment EVER. No disrespect to MJ...

This isn't even close.

Great run of posts here....

I'd staisfied with either. These guys can be had w/o having to draft an immidiate starter.

I like Otogwe a bit better because, as you mention, he'll be around longer.

Rotoworld is saying that the Cowboys are interested in Atogwe, too. I think he's going to start drawing a lot of interest around the league...I hope the Bears can seal the deal.