Six teams after Ryan Clark

Wesson44

Ryan Clark negotiated with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week to see if he could hammer out a longterm extension but that didn’t happen and the free agent is drawing pretty solid interest early in free agency.

His agent Joel Turner declined to name the teams involved but said six clubs, including the Steelers, are involved at this point. Obviously, Arizona and Chicago would be on a very short list of teams seeking safeties with Miami and the New York Giants also in the market. Washington, where Clark used to play, could also be looking for a safety.

“Everyone is gaga over Antrel Rolle,” Turner said. “Ryan is a better player. He’s got better numbers across the board.”

Turner said they are in no rush to make a deal and are seeking the right fit and the right contract. Clark is considered a savvy veteran and one personnel veteran compared him to Mike Brown from his playing days with the Bears.

Ryan Clark negotiated with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week to see if he could hammer out a longterm extension but that didn’t happen and the free agent is drawing pretty solid interest early in free agency.

His agent Joel Turner declined to name the teams involved but said six clubs, including the Steelers, are involved at this point. Obviously, Arizona and Chicago would be on a very short list of teams seeking safeties with Miami and the New York Giants also in the market. Washington, where Clark used to play, could also be looking for a safety.

“Everyone is gaga over Antrel Rolle,” Turner said. “Ryan is a better player. He’s got better numbers across the board.”

Turner said they are in no rush to make a deal and are seeking the right fit and the right contract. Clark is considered a savvy veteran and one personnel veteran compared him to Mike Brown from his playing days with the Bears.

Thanks for the info. But this is speculating that the Bears are interested in Clark, it doesn't indicate we're actually interested. Considering we spent over 100 million, IMO there's no way we spend much on a safety. We still have a 3rd round draft pick and there's a good chance we'll trade Olsen to get more.

Thanks for the info. But this is speculating that the Bears are interested in Clark, it doesn't indicate we're actually interested. Considering we spent over 100 million, IMO there's no way we spend much on a safety. We still have a 3rd round draft pick and there's a good chance we'll trade Olsen to get more.

Olsen isn't going any where. I have been saying for a while that if a Tight End leaves it will be Desmond Clark, unfortunately. My reason behind this is because of his age and we just signed a TE that is very comparable to Clark that they are good blocking tight ends. Just because Olsen doesn't fit the protypical Martz offense doesn't mean that Martz refuses to use him. I would argue that Martz has never had a good TE. Olsen is a good tight end. Forget about saying "what about Vernon Davis." Davis was a complete bum before he got there and never produced until half way through this year.

One thing I can't help but think about. Martz' track record w/ TEs is pretty well known, and he was asked about Olsen numerous times early on. His answers were always talking about how great of a TE Olsen is, how he has never really had a lot to work with at TE, and that is why he has not had more production from the position, and then goes back to Olsen talking about how athletic yada yada yada.

Point is, he was asked early on if Olsen would be a fit, and went out of his way to talk about how great Olsen is. Maybe this is all crap, but you have to wonder how bad Martz looks if he does a 180. I mean, if Olsen is that good, Martz must not be that good of a coach if he can't find a way to utilize him in his scheme. Hell, I think Martz may have said that too.

I just wonder if getting rid of Olsen would make Martz look like crap, and therefor if it is a move he would even push for.

Honestly, I am not sure there is really a need to dump any of the TEs. I would take the 4th TE over McKie any day of the week.

Olsen isn't going any where. I have been saying for a while that if a Tight End leaves it will be Desmond Clark, unfortunately. My reason behind this is because of his age and we just signed a TE that is very comparable to Clark that they are good blocking tight ends. Just because Olsen doesn't fit the protypical Martz offense doesn't mean that Martz refuses to use him. I would argue that Martz has never had a good TE. Olsen is a good tight end. Forget about saying "what about Vernon Davis." Davis was a complete bum before he got there and never produced until half way through this year.

I still have big time reservations about Clark.

One poster said he is a SS in any system but Pitt, which has a SS (Polamalu) who is really a FS. It is Polamalu who is really the roamer. He more often roams closer to the box, but roams just the same, and has to speed to cover downfield too. Clark is more like a SS playing deep. He can lay wood, but I would rather have a FS that can prevent the catch, rather than one who just makes a great tackle.

Look at Pitt this past year. With Polamalu healthy, their defense was damn good. When he went out, frankly, their D wasn't that good, and I am not sure Clark did much to step up and take up the slack.

I am not totally against Clark, but simply have not heard enough to convince me he is much different than what we have had for a while. He may be better than Payne, Steltz, etc., but if he is in the same mold, I question the move just the same. I am just tired of adding players who everyone else seems to think of as a SS, but who we considered a FS.