For all who think Olsen is elite

Stinger226

I'd offer $50.00 for buying the Bears.

Not sure the mcCaskey's would take it. But I think the value is a bit higher than that.

I would't read much into that...

I could see teams not wanting to give much more than a 3rd, possibly 4th. But a 6th is just low-balling.

I heard today on the Score that one team has offered a 6th round pick for Olsen. If someones scouits think he is only worth a #6, I dont see anybody offering a #2 for him, except maybe from the Canadian League.

I heard today on the Score that one team has offered a 6th round pick for Olsen. If someones scouits think he is only worth a #6, I dont see anybody offering a #2 for him, except maybe from the Canadian League.

I heard that also. I have to agree with Mad-Lith that it's a low-ball deal at this point. The thought around the league is that Martz wants nothing to do with Olsen. He's not want he wants in a TE or a WR.

Not to mention I get the feeling most teams want to add no more salaries and Olsen wants and extension.

I'm convinced he'll get dealt but it will be for more then a 6th. Although we might have to settle for a 4th which would be dissappointing.

Guest TerraTor
I heard that also. I have to agree with Mad-Lith that it's a low-ball deal at this point. The thought around the league is that Martz wants nothing to do with Olsen. He's not want he wants in a TE or a WR.

Not to mention I get the feeling most teams want to add no more salaries and Olsen wants and extension.

I'm convinced he'll get dealt but it will be for more then a 6th. Although we might have to settle for a 4th which would be dissappointing.

Well, TO got traded to Philly for a 6thRounder and James Thrash.

Its not the point of being elite, its being the teams only offensive(skill) who hasnt been a joke. And to toss it away on a 4th round pick which angelo will wast and redshirt anyway is rediculous

Guest TerraTor

This is the last time Im mentioning it, but it shows our ineptitude and stupidy, we traded a 2nd for Gaines Adams (RIP) Who was a total bust. Like i said, no more of it cuz is infuriating

By the way....who thinks Olsen is an elite player? I've seen many who say he's a good player and they prefer to keep him but I can't recall any who said he's All Pro potential.

I only used the term to stress the point, he wont be able to draw a #2 pick, as many thought we could get for him.

All right, so Olsen can't play TE in the Martz system . . . we've establish that. And the slot receiver is the Az-Hakim type who just runs like hell down-field (see Hester, Devin. And Knox, Johnny)

Can Olsen play the #2 WR spot? Can he be the "across the middle" type player? Or will cornerbacks just eat him up . . .

All I can say is this. If Martz can't find a way to utilize a very good receiving TE like Olsen, maybe he isn't the offensive genius some make him out to be.

All right, so Olsen can't play TE in the Martz system . . . we've establish that. And the slot receiver is the Az-Hakim type who just runs like hell down-field (see Hester, Devin. And Knox, Johnny)

Can Olsen play the #2 WR spot? Can he be the "across the middle" type player? Or will cornerbacks just eat him up . . .

NFoligno, we agree once again. If Martz is a so called genius when it comes to the offense, why the hell does he not utilize the talents of the players that he has. I do not like the signing of the almost 300# TE that played for the Chargers and I am still not that convinced that Martz will help correct the offensive short comings that this team has. Olsen may not be an All-Pro right now however, this offense has struggled for quite a while and Olsen definitely has not lived up to potential and it is not all Olsen's fault. Just like Cutler's poor season last season was not all his fault. I hope that if Olsen is traded away (another huge mistake in my opinion) that we definitely do not settle for a low ball offer. With T.O. I think the 49ers were tired of him and took what ever just to move him out of town.

All I can say is this. If Martz can't find a way to utilize a very good receiving TE like Olsen, maybe he isn't the offensive genius some make him out to be.

Let me ask you this: Does Olsen look very fast to you? Is Olsen a great blocker? Does Olsen ever go up and rip the ball away from a defender? Does he have great hands? My answer to each of these questions is "no." Not to mention, there were several times last year Cutler threw to Olsen's spot, and Olsen wasn't there. Either Cutler was off or Olsen is not a great route runner.

There were games last year where Cutler seemed to go out of his way to target Olsen, and at times it didn't look pretty. Is Olsen much better then Dez Clark?

I'd love to see Olsen succeed but I wonder if our opinion of him is over-inflated because he was a #1 pick, and he looked okay in a really bad offense.

More importantly: While Martz had some success in Detroit and San Fran, wasn't part of his problem the fact that he had to work with what he had? With the signing of Taylor and Mala, we've basically told him that we'll give him whatever he wants to be successful. If Olsen isn't part of that plan . . .

Let me ask you this: Does Olsen look very fast to you? Is Olsen a great blocker? Does Olsen ever go up and rip the ball away from a defender? Does he have great hands? My answer to each of these questions is "no." Not to mention, there were several times last year Cutler threw to Olsen's spot, and Olsen wasn't there. Either Cutler was off or Olsen is not a great route runner.

Olsen is fast for a TE, even for a receiving TE. He's not a flat-out burner, but I can't think of any TEs who are, other than Vernon Davis and maybe Dustin Keller. He also runs pretty good routes: he's smooth and controls his body well, and he can separate pretty well from the guys he should be matched up on (linebackers and safeties.) He couldn't separate when teams were putting a corner on him, but that's to be expected.

The bigger problem is the other one you mentioned: he doesn't seem to do very well when he has to go up and challenge a defender for the ball. For whatever reason, he just doesn't get vertical particularly well, and when he ought to win the size matchup, he frequently doesn't. When teams put a corner on him, you wouldn't expect him to separate with his speed, but he should be able to use his size advantage and box the defender out. He doesn't, though. I don't know what the problem is, but he's not the two-way matchup problem the coaches make him out to be: he plays like a wide receiver against linebackers, which is great, but he also plays like a wide receiver against cornerbacks.

Basically, I think he ought to be used like a big slot receiver. Get him matched up on linebackers and safeties where he'll be able to separate, and let him win that matchup with his speed and body control. Unfortunately, in order to do that, we'd need receivers who demand coverage from the corners, otherwise teams will keep putting a corner on Olsen, and he'll keep struggling.

The bigger problem is the other one you mentioned: he doesn't seem to do very well when he has to go up and challenge a defender for the ball. For whatever reason, he just doesn't get vertical particularly well, and when he ought to win the size matchup, he frequently doesn't. When teams put a corner on him, you wouldn't expect him to separate with his speed, but he should be able to use his size advantage and box the defender out. He doesn't, though. I don't know what the problem is, but he's not the two-way matchup problem the coaches make him out to be: he plays like a wide receiver against linebackers, which is great, but he also plays like a wide receiver against cornerbacks.

Basically, I think he ought to be used like a big slot receiver. Get him matched up on linebackers and safeties where he'll be able to separate, and let him win that matchup with his speed and body control. Unfortunately, in order to do that, we'd need receivers who demand coverage from the corners, otherwise teams will keep putting a corner on Olsen, and he'll keep struggling.

The problem with Olsen, is that a corner or safety can play him. That negates him even more as a WR, because he can't separate. Teams have figured this out. If he doesn't make it as a TE with our system, I am very against making him a WR.

The problem with Olsen, is that a corner or safety can play him. That negates him even more as a WR, because he can't separate. Teams have figured this out.

Right, but teams wouldn't necessarily be able to put a corner or a safety on him if our wideouts were more of a threat. Suppose we're in a normal 2-WR set and the other team is in a base 4-3 or 3-4. If either Hester or Aromashodu could draw double coverage, they'd have both corners and a safety tied up covering the Devins. Presumably the other safety is responsible for deep coverage (unless they're in Cover Zero) which only leaves linebackers to cover Olsen. The problem is that none of the wide receivers, as of right now, demand double coverage. In fact, the player who drew the most attention from opposing DBs last season was actually Olsen. If one of our young receivers can step up, I think Olsen will see a lot of favorable matchups in 2010.

If he doesn't make it as a TE with our system, I am very against making him a WR.

I wasn't suggesting that we should actually switch him to WR, just that we should line him up in the slot sometimes, and use him as an on-the-line Y receiver other times. Like what the Colts do with Dallas Clark. Basically, I'm just saying that they need to try to get him matched up on a linebacker, like a slot receiver would be.

The best way for Martz to utilize Olsen is to make him a WR. Hell, he's worked with alot less talent than that before. There's no reason Olsen can't be a WR. What, are we afraid he's gonna take PT from some of our more prolific WRs?