Bears interested in Lito Sherpard

bradjock

How has nobody posted this yet? Here's what Mike Florio from PFT has to say:

"Cut last week by the Jets, veteran cornerback Lito Sheppard is looking for a new home.

We're told that two teams are in the mix for his services. Per a league source, the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears have expressed interest.

To date, no visits have been scheduled."

Sounds good on paper...

"Cut last week by the Jets, veteran cornerback Lito Sheppard is looking for a new home.

We're told that two teams are in the mix for his services. Per a league source, the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears have expressed interest.

Glad to hear we are at least looking at CB. At the same time, I just wonder why the lack of action at FS. CB is considered a very good position in the draft, and while it may not yield an immediate starter, our need is more depth than an immediate starter. That is why I assumed we would pass on CB in FA but pursue a veteran FS.

I have no issue w/ adding Lito. I have argued our need for a CB is greater than most have felt, but at the same time, we simply have to get a FS. I really want Atogwe.

Glad to hear we are at least looking at CB. At the same time, I just wonder why the lack of action at FS. CB is considered a very good position in the draft, and while it may not yield an immediate starter, our need is more depth than an immediate starter. That is why I assumed we would pass on CB in FA but pursue a veteran FS.

I have no issue w/ adding Lito. I have argued our need for a CB is greater than most have felt, but at the same time, we simply have to get a FS. I really want Atogwe.

I want Atogwe also but lets also keep in mind that FS is also considered to be very deep in the draft as well. Not sure if we could get lucky enough to land a starter in the 3rd though, I am just throwing it out there. I hope we are not done with FA's but we could be considering we just spent 100+mil.

I want Atogwe also but lets also keep in mind that FS is also considered to be very deep in the draft as well. Not sure if we could get lucky enough to land a starter in the 3rd though, I am just throwing it out there. I hope we are not done with FA's but we could be considering we just spent 100+mil.

I'll take Atogwe and draft one.

Agreed. I just don't get what we're not swarming over some of the available FS's...

I too want Atogwe...

Uh oh! Are the Bears thinking about being cheap now after the spending spree!? ;)

Guest TerraTor
Uh oh! Are the Bears thinking about being cheap now after the spending spree!? ;)

Very strange because We can get him for a ton less than Rolle. Considering St Louis wont match anything im guessing.

I iwsh I knew...

I really would be nice to see Atogwe in navy & burnt orange...

But I am wondering 1 thing about Atogwe. Why did St Louis tender him with such a low offer? There has to be something to it considering that he his a good FS. Wouldn't u think at worst that St Louis would want something in return for him.

Good points. But maybe the Rams are actually lousier than us at assessing talent?

But I am wondering 1 thing about Atogwe. Why did St Louis tender him with such a low offer? There has to be something to it considering that he his a good FS. Wouldn't u think at worst that St Louis would want something in return for him.

As near as I can tell teams wold only do this in two situations. One where you are willing to accept the risk of losing a player who you'd like to keep but don't view as necessary. Let the market set the contract and if it fits your budget match it.

The other time you do it is when you flat out will match any offer sheet he signs. My guess is the teams around the league all know the Rams intend to match any contract.

We did pursue Antrelle Rolle but his price was way too high. Even Cards fans are stunned he's now the highest paid FS in the league but they don't think they lost much, if anything, when they picked up Rhodes.

Here's some insight why the Rams are doing what they are doing, take note of the last two paragraphs. Maybe this is why other teams are hesitating? LT2 usually undestands this stuff better.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report...low-tender.html

As far as Sheppard goes, I say pass. Another former Eagle CB R. Hood came and went last year and I would be willing to bet that Sheppard would probably fall into this catgory. Unless the Bears (as posters elsewhere have suggested) that the Bears are thinking of moving Tillman to Safety. Remember that there is still Bowman and that kid from Vandy still on the roster at CB.

Stay focused on FS Bears.

Regarding Stl's low tender on him.

Last year, he was their franchise player, and as such, his one year salary was over $7m. If they tendered him this year at any level which would offer compensation, they would have to give him a 10% raise over last year, so that means he would be looking at about an $8m tender.

So that is a big part of it. They didn't want to pay him $8m for the one year.

I would say there is also a change they simply want another team to make him an offer, setting the market, and then Stl comes in and just matches the deal as they have the right to do so. They would be far from the first team to allow the market to set a price rather than try to negotiate w/ the player. In fact, Angelo used to do that a fair amount.

So I would not read too much into Stl's low tender on Atogwe.

this is why other teams are hesitating? LT2 usually undestands this stuff better.

Not sure what you are alluding to? Article talks about how he Stl would have had to guarantee him 110% of his salary to tender him at any level higher than they did, and as he was their franchise player last year, that would not be cheap. But when you imply there is something here that would explain why teams are hesitating, I am not sure what you mean.

Article says he is a solid talent, but that his team is being cheap. I saw nothing that would explain why a team would not go after him.