Dan... Manning

Guest TerraTor

You want a contract? try learning to play football!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,3055776.story

God i hope someone wants him and we get a 3rd.... cant imagine though...

Does anyone realize that he can't participate in workouts without a contract, and he can't sign an offer sheet where we get a third if he signs his tender offer?

This is just a part of restricted free agency.

Yes and no. There are plenty of RFA's out there who know there is not a team in the league that will offer whatever compensation would be necessary to steal that player and/or the player flat out intends to sign the deal, but in either situation, is holding off on signing the deal specifically to avoid workouts and practices.

Yea, some are holding off (Atogwe for example) hoping another team will present them with and offer sheet, but I there there are many many out there who are simply doing it to avoid workouts.

Does anyone realize that he can't participate in workouts without a contract, and he can't sign an offer sheet where we get a third if he signs his tender offer?

He can participate in workouts if he signs an injury waiver. And if I was D. Manning, I'd take any opportunity to workout with team mates and coaches. It's not like his position on the team is solid...

He can participate in workouts if he signs an injury waiver. And if I was D. Manning, I'd take any opportunity to workout with team mates and coaches. It's not like his position on the team is solid...

No, the team would have to offer an injury waiver - meaning they would offer him pay if he got injured. When rookies do that, it's based on the player being paid the equivalent of their slotted 3 year rookie contract. For a player that is an RFA, there is no standard amount that either side would agree to. The player would be stupid to sign something that only covers one year and the team wouldn't want to offer anything that covers more than 1 year.

Manning is handling this exactly the right way.

No, the team would have to offer an injury waiver - meaning they would offer him pay if he got injured. When rookies do that, it's based on the player being paid the equivalent of their slotted 3 year rookie contract. For a player that is an RFA, there is no standard amount that either side would agree to. The player would be stupid to sign something that only covers one year and the team wouldn't want to offer anything that covers more than 1 year.

Manning is handling this exactly the right way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ppy-with-bears/

"He's definitely not happy with the way he was tendered,'' agent Russel Hicks told Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune. "Until he gets a contract, he won't be attending any offseason workouts.''

The Bears tendered Manning, a 2006 second-round pick, at the original-round level. In the unlikely event that a team signs Manning to an offer sheet and the Bears don't match it, the Bears would receive a third-round draft pick as compensation, because they used their second-round tender on Mark Anderson.

If Manning eventually relents and signs his tender, he'll get a salary of $1.176 million in 2010.

Sorry to argue, but this sounds like he is pissed he was tendered an RFA tender instead of a longer term deal. I do not think he is "handling this in exactly the right way" at all, I think he is pissed off at only getting a $1.1 million tender and is staying away in protest. He can easily sign his tender, attend workouts, AND work with the team on a long term deal. Instead he is playing the "stay away and pout" game. You really think that is "exactly the right way"?

Sorry to argue, but this sounds like he is pissed he was tendered an RFA tender instead of a longer term deal. I do not think he is "handling this in exactly the right way" at all, I think he is pissed off at only getting a $1.1 million tender and is staying away in protest. He can easily sign his tender, attend workouts, AND work with the team on a long term deal. Instead he is playing the "stay away and pout" game. You really think that is "exactly the right way"?

Well, I'd be pissed to if I was a team player and switched positions a bunch of times, got jerked around, and then the team tried to not pay me.

Usually, I am against the players in these situations, but I dont fault Manning here.

Honestly, I don't think it's so much that he was tendered instead of a long term deal, but that he was tendered at such a low level. If they tendered him at the second round level, he would make another $600k per year. If they tendered him at a 1st round level, he would make $1.4 million more than his current tender.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed too if someone took $600k (or over 50% of your current salary) out of my pocket. I'd be looking for a new employer - which Manning can't do if he signs his tender.

Also, his best negotiating tactic for getting a long term contract is to get a team to sign him to an offer sheet and have the Bears match the deal. At that point, the offer sheet would probably represent more than the Bears would normally offer because that is the mechanism that the other team uses to get the Bears not to match.

Manning is just playing it smart. The only way someone could justify saying that he should just sign it and get to the offseason workouts is if they don't believe that Manning should be worried about his income for his family for the rest of his life. He's a bubble player and has no guarantee to work again after this year.

Besides, it's offseason workouts and the team hasn't changed anything on defense since he was drafted. It's not like we're talking training camp here.

Honestly, I don't think it's so much that he was tendered instead of a long term deal, but that he was tendered at such a low level. If they tendered him at the second round level, he would make another $600k per year. If they tendered him at a 1st round level, he would make $1.4 million more than his current tender.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed too if someone took $600k (or over 50% of your current salary) out of my pocket. I'd be looking for a new employer - which Manning can't do if he signs his tender.

Also, his best negotiating tactic for getting a long term contract is to get a team to sign him to an offer sheet and have the Bears match the deal. At that point, the offer sheet would probably represent more than the Bears would normally offer because that is the mechanism that the other team uses to get the Bears not to match.

Manning is just playing it smart. The only way someone could justify saying that he should just sign it and get to the offseason workouts is if they don't believe that Manning should be worried about his income for his family for the rest of his life. He's a bubble player and has no guarantee to work again after this year.

Besides, it's offseason workouts and the team hasn't changed anything on defense since he was drafted. It's not like we're talking training camp here.

I think Manning needs to understand 1 thing though. Out of all the RFA's out there only 1, that's right only 1 players has signed an offer sheet with another team. That tells me that its unlikely that another team will offer him anything at all. And the fact that he hasn't done anything to this point in his career.

I think Manning needs to understand 1 thing though. Out of all the RFA's out there only 1, that's right only 1 players has signed an offer sheet with another team. That tells me that its unlikely that another team will offer him anything at all. And the fact that he hasn't done anything to this point in his career.

True that only one player has signed an offer sheet so far, however, the question is why?

I think the deadline is something like April 15th for signing RFAs to offer sheets. Usually teams take their time on that because they want to see if they can fill holes with UFAs that don't require any draft pick compensation. I don't think a lack of offer sheets signed to date means anything. In fact, I think that there will be a flurry of offer sheets signed around the 15th because it's do or die time.

So, he's pretty much in limbo until the April 15th date passes. If he hasn't signed it after that, then I would agree that he's being a bit of a doofus, but until then, he's doing what the system requires him to do to try and maximize his earning potential.

Quite literally, hate the system, don't hate the player. :)

True that only one player has signed an offer sheet so far, however, the question is why?

I think the deadline is something like April 15th for signing RFAs to offer sheets. Usually teams take their time on that because they want to see if they can fill holes with UFAs that don't require any draft pick compensation. I don't think a lack of offer sheets signed to date means anything. In fact, I think that there will be a flurry of offer sheets signed around the 15th because it's do or die time.

So, he's pretty much in limbo until the April 15th date passes. If he hasn't signed it after that, then I would agree that he's being a bit of a doofus, but until then, he's doing what the system requires him to do to try and maximize his earning potential.

Thanks for the info. I don't hate DM, I hate the situation that the team has put him in with the constant position change every year. He has got to be getting sick of it by now.

Personally, I find some humor in this.

For a while, as talk about the CBA was beginning to heat up, you read player and player talk about the un-capped year. You heard agents talk about it. Then we started to read reports about the various rules also in place, such as players not actually being fully free agents until after 6 credited seasons.

I find the humor here because players seemed to be so uninformed, and are now crying their current situation. Instead of ripping the teams, and the level they were restricted, maybe they should look at their own leadership and question them a bit more.

Well, I'd be pissed to if I was a team player and switched positions a bunch of times, got jerked around, and then the team tried to not pay me.

Usually, I am against the players in these situations, but I dont fault Manning here.

Lt2,

Come on. I understand everything you are saying, but you have to admit there is a bit more too it. Players and agents pretty much came out and said they were not going to sign their tender deals, and talked about skipping OTAs as a whole to make a point. I am not talking about a couple RFAs who think they have a legit shot at improving their situation, but all 200 or whatever RFAs holding off on signing their tenders to make a point.

As with most everything going on these days, this too goes back to the CBA.

Devil's advocate point of view.

DM was a high 2nd round draft pick, which comes with expectations. We complain he didn't develop at any position due to moving around, yet how about the thought that he was moved around because he just never looked very good at any one position. He was a disaster at both CB and FS. Many 2nd round picks that bust in such a manner are cut, but our staff kept trying him in new and different ways.

I too dislike the way he has been moved around. What I hate more is that, it seems like his best position/role was found (nickel DB and return man) and yet the staff continues to play with his role, now talking about playing him at SS. At the same time, many teams would not have given him so many chances at so many positions/roles, written him off as a bust, and released him before he ever showed he could contribute. Thus, it is a bit hard for me to feel bad for the guy.

Finally, IMHO, he was tendered at the level he was in hopes that another team might make him an offer. I think we would actually like to sign him to a long term deal, but have no clue what his contract should be. After signing Hester, and then you have Cribbs in Cle, it is difficult to really set the value on a player like DM. So I think Angelo, as he has done in the past, is trying to allow the market to set DM's value.

Thanks for the info. I don't hate DM, I hate the situation that the team has put him in with the constant position change every year. He has got to be getting sick of it by now.

DM was a high 2nd round draft pick, which comes with expectations. We complain he didn't develop at any position due to moving around, yet how about the thought that he was moved around because he just never looked very good at any one position. He was a disaster at both CB and FS. Many 2nd round picks that bust in such a manner are cut, but our staff kept trying him in new and different ways.

I too dislike the way he has been moved around. What I hate more is that, it seems like his best position/role was found (nickel DB and return man) and yet the staff continues to play with his role, now talking about playing him at SS. At the same time, many teams would not have given him so many chances at so many positions/roles, written him off as a bust, and released him before he ever showed he could contribute. Thus, it is a bit hard for me to feel bad for the guy.

I think you're exactly right. He's one of Lovie's guys, so they kept giving him shots at different starting positions. There's also the fact that a high 2nd-round pick is way too much to spend on a nickel DB and returner. The next four DBs picked after Danieal Manning were Roman Harper, Bernard Pollard, Richard Marshall, and Cedric Griffin. The first three are quality starting DBs, and Griffin has at least held down a starting job. All of them were taken after Manning - I'm sure that Angelo would be catching (even more) flak if he acknowledged that he passed on all four to spend the #42 overall pick on a project player from a tiny college, and now that guy's only going to play in sub-packages and on special teams.

Basically, I think it's Angelo protecting one of his high draft picks and Lovie protecting one of his guys. Manning's a decent nickel and an excellent kick returner. I think it's pretty clear that he's never going to be anything else. If somebody wants to give us a third for him, that'd be good value.

What we have with DM is an incredibly gifted athlete who plays the game "soft". You simply CANNOT play safety in this league as soft as he plays it, his cover skills aren't any good and he doesn't tackle well. The ONLY thing he does do well is return kicks. The Bears are doing the right thing by tendering him where they did. If a team wants a KR and is willing to give a 3rd for Manning, I would gladly take it and use that pick for a FS. Let him piss, moan and cry all he wants but he cannot dispute his shortcomings.

Finally, IMHO, he was tendered at the level he was in hopes that another team might make him an offer. I think we would actually like to sign him to a long term deal, but have no clue what his contract should be. After signing Hester, and then you have Cribbs in Cle, it is difficult to really set the value on a player like DM. So I think Angelo, as he has done in the past, is trying to allow the market to set DM's value.

Can't say I disagree...

What we have with DM is an incredibly gifted athlete who plays the game "soft". You simply CANNOT play safety in this league as soft as he plays it, his cover skills aren't any good and he doesn't tackle well. The ONLY thing he does do well is return kicks. The Bears are doing the right thing by tendering him where they did. If a team wants a KR and is willing to give a 3rd for Manning, I would gladly take it and use that pick for a FS. Let him piss, moan and cry all he wants but he cannot dispute his shortcomings.