Problem with Atogwe??

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

I think we are gearing up some funds to get this guy, but is this why we cant offer him a contract? Is it true he has til June 1st to sign? after that im guessing hes cut and its a bidding war...

Guest TerraTor

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/...f-atogwe-tender

The Rams' decision to offer the lowest possible tender for restricted free agent Oshiomogho Atogwe, as reported by Jim Thomas, begs for explanation.

AtogweI've been on the phone with agents and NFL executives for the last couple of days and even in past weeks, trying to figure out all the ramifications.

The one-year offer for $1.226 million allows Atogwe to solicit offers from other teams. The Rams have the right to match those offers.

The question is, for how long?

One agent I spoke with this morning thought the $1.226 million tender would give the Rams right of first refusal until April 15, and that the team would have to offer a higher tender -- one worth more than $6.9 million in this case -- by June to keep Atogwe's rights.

The NFLPA information sheet on RFA tenders says the Rams would have to pay 110 percent of Atogwe's 2009 salary of $6.3 million if they tendered him at any level higher than the $1.226 million level. The sheet also says teams would have to honor "all other contract terms" from the 2009 deal.

That last part is potentially significant because the 2009 salary was guaranteed. I'm wondering whether extending a tender higher than $1.226 million would have forced the Rams to guarantee that money if Atogwe signed the deal.

Stay tuned on this one. More details to come.