Trade Talk Between Bears and Seahawks

dawhizz

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5519790.story

I don't know much about Sims, but the thought of getting a starter at guard for Brown seems like a good idea, particularly if the alternative is to release him or trade him for a late pick.

I don't know if Sims is any good - I haven't seen him play. Here's the scouting report on him coming out of college. Cliff's Notes version: good playing strength, just-adequate size, pretty good hand punch, better pass-protector than run-blocker, plays to the whistle. There were questions about his stamina, conditioning, and overall work ethic coming out of college, and there are certainly questions about injuries based on his pro career. For what it's worth, he was relatively durable at Ohio State, appearing in 47 games in his 4 years, with 40 starts.

While I'd love to get a new starter at LG, I don't know if this guy is really worth trading Brown for.

I don't know much about Sims, but the thought of getting a starter at guard for Brown seems like a good idea, particularly if the alternative is to release him or trade him for a late pick.

Nice. That would seem ideal. I had been wondering why the Seahawks wanted to get rid of Sims. I didn't realize it was because he didn't fit their scheme. That makes sense. Sims is a 4th round tender which means we'd only have to pay him 1.8 million or something like that?

It's good to see there is interest in Alex Brown. Although I'm still wondering why there's no interest in Greg Olsen.

I know there's a lot of love for Alex Brown, but Brown was never as good as Wale. When Wale went down, did anybody miss him with Mark Anderson filling in? I didn't.

I don't know if Sims is any good - I haven't seen him play. Here's the scouting report on him coming out of college. Cliff's Notes version: good playing strength, just-adequate size, pretty good hand punch, better pass-protector than run-blocker, plays to the whistle. There were questions about his stamina, conditioning, and overall work ethic coming out of college, and there are certainly questions about injuries based on his pro career. For what it's worth, he was relatively durable at Ohio State, appearing in 47 games in his 4 years, with 40 starts.

While I'd love to get a new starter at LG, I don't know if this guy is really worth trading Brown for.

It comes down to two things IMO:

1. Is he better then Josh Beekman? The fact he's a mauler and we want a mauler, would indicate the answer is yes. I like Beekman as an "ultra-back-up" being able to fill in at all 3 interior lineman spots. Not to mention he's solid.

2. As far as us trading Brown, what do you want for him? Like it or not, we seem ready to part ways with him. What do you expect to get for him? IMO, Sims is a former 4th round pick with experience. He's worth a 4th round pick. At this point, I'd take a 4th for Alex Brown.

I will admit, this is more interesting.

I talked about sending our 4th to the Hawks for Sims a while back in another thread. A friends who is a bears fan up in Seattle raved about Sims and said most fans are pretty put off by the teams looking to deal him. Seems like everywhere you look coaches prefer their system to talent. Sims is seen as a very solid talent, but simply not an ideal fit for their system.

I have been banging the drum that it is ridiculous to get rid of Brown. I still would not trade him for a draft pick, and feel the talk of just cutting him to save money is ridiculous. On the other hand, if dealing him would get us a very good starting OG, that may tip the scales. Also something to point out. Sims at LG could also have a chain effect and help Williams at LT.

Losing Brown would hurt, yet at the same time, his loss would at the same time fill a pretty big hole, and one that didn't look great in the draft.

Sounds like maybe Seattle's not so interested in the trade:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2010/03/be...sims_but_s.html

Still, if you trade a 4th for Sims and trade Brown for a 4th or a 5th, I guess it works out about the same way. This O-line needs help ASAP, and I doubt you're going to find a guard in the 4th who can step right in. This article from the Bleacher Report says that Sims graded out as the 8th best guard in football last year (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369821-chicago-should-jump-on-brown-sims-swap).

Sounds like maybe Seattle's not so interested in the trade:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2010/03/be...sims_but_s.html

Still, if you trade a 4th for Sims and trade Brown for a 4th or a 5th, I guess it works out about the same way. This O-line needs help ASAP, and I doubt you're going to find a guard in the 4th who can step right in. This article from the Bleacher Report says that Sims graded out as the 8th best guard in football last year (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369821-chicago-should-jump-on-brown-sims-swap).

Yeah I don't have a problem with that either. I talked with a friend of mine yesterday during the hockey game and he is even a little confused on Browns' true value. I think some team could part with at least 4th or 5th. Considering that he is an average starter, he is very stout against the run, solid at best pass rush, can get u between 5-7 sacks a year and the best fact is that he is a true professional. He goes out there every game and works his butt off and you never hear anything about him off the field.

Losing Brown would hurt, yet at the same time, his loss would at the same time fill a pretty big hole, and one that didn't look great in the draft.

Agree. Brown is a solid member of the DL. If he goes, Anderson will have to step up, and I'm not totally convinced he can. But then again, if we can get a top notch G, then I'd do it.

Yeah I don't have a problem with that either. I talked with a friend of mine yesterday during the hockey game and he is even a little confused on Browns' true value. I think some team could part with at least 4th or 5th. Considering that he is an average starter, he is very stout against the run, solid at best pass rush, can get u between 5-7 sacks a year and the best fact is that he is a true professional. He goes out there every game and works his butt off and you never hear anything about him off the field.

Everything indicates that teams really like Alex Brown, but not for 5 million per. We're hearing Seattle doesn't want Browns 5 million contract. If they don't, who will?

Zac Zaidman was on the SCORE this morning. He says the Bears desire to dump Brown is purely financial. He compared it to the Jets dumping Thomas Jones. TJ's a good player and a lot of teams wanted him, but not for what he was making. I look for us to release Alex Brown.

I know a lot of people are upset at the thought of dumping Brown, but if we do it to sign a starting LG like Sims, I have no problem with it.

Guest TerraTor

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...wn/Default.aspx

Bears interested in Sims but Seahawks not interested in Brown

Mar

3/28/2010 8:11:02 AM | More

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports the Bears have talked to the Seattle Seahawks about acquiring guard Rob Sims, a restricted free agent.

But, contrary to a report in the Chicago Tribune, the Seahawks are not at all interested in trading Sims for defensive end Alex Brown, according to two sources close to the situation.

The Bears are hoping to trade Brown, who is due to make $5 million in 2010 and to turn 31 this summer, and the Seahawks have a need for a pass rusher, especially after trading Darryl Tapp to the Philadelphia Eagles and losing Cory Redding in free agency.

But the Seahawks are not interested in Brown at $5 million a season.

just send the 4th, big deal

just send the 4th, big deal

Yeah, I totally agree. If they think Sims is good enough to start at LG, just sign him and give up the 4th-rounder. The odds of finding a starter in the fourth round are not good at all, even though Angelo's managed to do it once or twice in the past. That would free up the Bears to keep Brown (which should be Plan A) or if they do deal him, trade him for a safety and fill the other major need this offseason.

Yeah, I totally agree. If they think Sims is good enough to start at LG, just sign him and give up the 4th-rounder. The odds of finding a starter in the fourth round are not good at all, even though Angelo's managed to do it once or twice in the past. That would free up the Bears to keep Brown (which should be Plan A) or if they do deal him, trade him for a safety and fill the other major need this offseason.

There's 2 obvious things your overlooking:

1. We've reached our limit in terms of spending. For us to sign Sims, we've got to free up money. Is it worth dumping Brown for Sims? I think it is.

2. Nobody wants to touch Brown's contract. We can't trade him because he's not worth 5 million per year.

There's 2 obvious things your overlooking:

1. We've reached our limit in terms of spending. For us to sign Sims, we've got to free up money. Is it worth dumping Brown for Sims? I think it is.

Agreed. While we likely would not have to worry about Seattle matching the deal, we would have to make Sims an offer worth siging, and he isn't going to sign a long term deal for nothing. To trade for him, he get him at the RFA tag price for one year, which is cheap. You can then, later, work on a new, long term deal for him.

2. Nobody wants to touch Brown's contract. We can't trade him because he's not worth 5 million per year.

Not sure. That is the story now, but could change after the draft. $5m sounds like a lot for Brown, but if a team were to sign him in FA, they are likely going to have to shell out more than that in terms of SB and such. If this were a normal cap year, $5m may be more prohibitive, but in a non-cap year, we may be able to find a taker for the $5m.

Agreed. While we likely would not have to worry about Seattle matching the deal, we would have to make Sims an offer worth siging, and he isn't going to sign a long term deal for nothing. To trade for him, he get him at the RFA tag price for one year, which is cheap. You can then, later, work on a new, long term deal for him.

The only 2 times that I know of JA signing a RFA were Tait & RMJ. In both cases we were very cafeful to structure the contract so the other team couldn't match.

This is a lot different in that there's no salary cap and Seattle will be happy to take the 4th round pick. For some reasons the RFA always take a while.

Not sure. That is the story now, but could change after the draft. $5m sounds like a lot for Brown, but if a team were to sign him in FA, they are likely going to have to shell out more than that in terms of SB and such. If this were a normal cap year, $5m may be more prohibitive, but in a non-cap year, we may be able to find a taker for the $5m.

Maybe. But we've already seen that teams aren't going to give up much. Seattle is thin at DE and they wouldn't give up Sims (who is equal to a 4th.) That just tells me he's not exactly in great demand. Basically we'd be hanging on to him in the hopes of getting a 6th round pick.