Vasher to SD

nfoligno

Just saw Vasher is close to signing w/ SD. Could be interesting to see if, with the coaches he played well under if he does so again.

Also, while we all knew Rivera was in SD, I have to admit I didn't realize Wilkes (DB) and Johnson (DL) coaches were also in place in SD.

Honestly, it would not surprise me. I am not going to predict he has a pro bowl season, but I would not be surprised to simply see their staff get more out of him.

Vasher has been one of the more outspoken critics of this staff. Several times I recall him, when questioned/critcized for his coverage on a play, he pointed to the system and said he was doing as instructed. He talked about how he was supposed to take away the sideline and "push" at WR inside. So when WRs would catch those easy slants against Vasher, he basically said to blame the coaches. He also said he lined up where he was told when asked why he lined up so far off the LOS.

Many point to the year he got his money as the point when he went downhill. Others point to the injuries. I have always pointed out the change in coaching could be a good sized piece of the puzzle.

I swear I wonder what would happen to Mark Anderson if he went to SD and was once again under Johnson, who coached him to double digit sacks as a rookie.

I bet he'll have a good year

Hey, it is totally possible that Vasher just plain sucks, and no amoung of coaching will matter. It is also possible that all Vasher's finger pointing toward the staff were nothing more than excuses to avoid responsibility.

Still, I think there are enough questions as to our staff to make it an interesting point. Vasher was never a stud, but was solid for us through our SB season, and then virtually tanked. Further, with few exceptions, it seems like many on our defense saw a similar fall from grace after the SB season. While there are plenty of reasons, I have always argued the changes in staff were part of the equation. Not just Rivera, but assistants too, like Don Johnson.

Back to Vasher and the system, one point Vasher always made that simply made sense to me. Per Vasher, and this is supported by other analyists I have read, the CB in our system is expected to take away the sideline and essentially push the WR into the middle, toward either the LB or the safety, depending on depth. BUT, we would also screw around with how we lined up our LBs, often having them fake blitz playing on top of the DTs arce. This took the LB out of position, so when the WR would run a cross or slant, the LB was not where he was supposed to be. CB looks like he just got abused, but in our system, he was really doing what he was supposed to be doing, but the LB wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Again, I have always said Vasher was over-rated. Going back to the day he was drafted, I said he could be a good nickel but little more. I just feel Rivera and others were able to get more out of him.

Did he say why the coaches told him to let people run fades against him to lose games?

Or why they told him to run slow?

Maybe he just isn't a starting corner anymore and not worth the cash.

In other news, water is wet.

Honestly, it would not surprise me. I am not going to predict he has a pro bowl season, but I would not be surprised to simply see their staff get more out of him.

Vasher has been one of the more outspoken critics of this staff. Several times I recall him, when questioned/critcized for his coverage on a play, he pointed to the system and said he was doing as instructed. He talked about how he was supposed to take away the sideline and "push" at WR inside. So when WRs would catch those easy slants against Vasher, he basically said to blame the coaches. He also said he lined up where he was told when asked why he lined up so far off the LOS.

Many point to the year he got his money as the point when he went downhill. Others point to the injuries. I have always pointed out the change in coaching could be a good sized piece of the puzzle.

I swear I wonder what would happen to Mark Anderson if he went to SD and was once again under Johnson, who coached him to double digit sacks as a rookie.