Brown Released

dawhizz

He gone . . .

Would have liked to see a draft pick, but no one else wanted the price tag. I say good luck to him and hope he doesn't go to a team in our division.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5047383

I'm torn on how this went down.

I like the fact that JA lets vets go and have a chance to sign elsewhere. This could help with signing free agents and for locker room morale.

On the other hand, screw it, this is a business. Holding on to him would have hurt what? I don't think he had big bonuses coming before camp. Players get hurt all the time and his trade value could have improved.

Of course there is always the part we have not heard(or may never)

Then I factor in the pro's and con's:

Pro = we save money. Or... free up money.

Con = we lose a starter

Con = very durable

Con = consumate pro

Pro = a young guy get more PT

I'm also wondering where the money we save goes. If it ends up going towards Sims or Otogwe or addresses another need, then I'm fine with the move. If we never see that money being put towards something that improves this team, and we don't see adequate production from the DE who ends up replacing Brown, it's just going to be one more strike against this regime.

That is the real key isn't it? I am not in favor of this move, but that can be offset somewhat at least if we use the money on a player like Sims or Atogwe. If we simply are making this move to recover part of the cost of the Peppers contract, that would tick me off, especially considering how much we gave to a one dimensional TE.

I mean, we gave Manumaleuna $2m SB, $3m roster bonus, as well as the rest of the contract money. Manumaleuna will earn as much this year as we just saved cutting Brown. As much as Manumaleuna may help the offense, I believe Brown would have done more for the defense.

I'm also wondering where the money we save goes. If it ends up going towards Sims or Otogwe or addresses another need, then I'm fine with the move. If we never see that money being put towards something that improves this team, and we don't see adequate production from the DE who ends up replacing Brown, it's just going to be one more strike against this regime.

Could all this be some kind of posturing by management with their eyes on looking at next year with the cap back?

Seems to me teams want to unload right now w/o penalty. Most these contracts are either 1 or 2 years remaining that I read about from most teams that are cutting players.

I wonder if the consensus is that the cap will be back and get your free cuts in while you can...?

That is the real key isn't it? I am not in favor of this move, but that can be offset somewhat at least if we use the money on a player like Sims or Atogwe. If we simply are making this move to recover part of the cost of the Peppers contract, that would tick me off, especially considering how much we gave to a one dimensional TE.

I mean, we gave Manumaleuna $2m SB, $3m roster bonus, as well as the rest of the contract money. Manumaleuna will earn as much this year as we just saved cutting Brown. As much as Manumaleuna may help the offense, I believe Brown would have done more for the defense.

Wtf? WHY? Were going to rely on Mark Anderson now? This is so idiotic and makes no sense at all. Alex Brown was a solid defensive end and with no Ogunleye and no Brown we have Mark Anderson and Gilbert.. Woooohooo.

For 3 consecutive seasons this defense has sucked ass. We've blamed injuries, we blamed coaches, we've blamed scheme. At what point do we blame the players?

Since the Super Bowl, we've continued to start the same guys on defense (and they make more then the offensive players). What we've been doing ain't working. We need to shake things up.

I just do not completely understand this. Brown has proven his worth to this team time and time again. Anderson started out with a bang his rookie year on third down plays and then disappeared. Supposedly Anderson played well at the end of last season however, to me that is just not saying much. Having a quality player who may not be the best however, shows true leadership, heart and effort to me is worth more than the risk on someone who continues to prove nothing week in and week out. As we have talked to death, there should have been a major shake up with this team back on January 4th and we are still suffering for the inept abilities of the people that are still destroying this team. Granted I do like the addition of Peppers and Taylor to this team however, there are still to many fundamental issues that this team is oblivious to.

Agreed. I wish we could have kept him around, but I understand the rationale behind the move. Anderson was improved last season and we have to hope he gets better. I do think Brown would have done some good things having a guy like Peppers opposite him.

The one thing that concerns me is the Bears basically picked between Harris/Brown and opted for the more upside guy, but also the bigger primmadonna and trouble maker. With Harris you never know how motivated he is, yet Brown was a professional.

Harris sure has gotten away with a lot all from his couple elite seasons he had early early in his career.

Best of luck to Alex and his family. He was a good player and a great guy.

Peace :dabears

The one thing that concerns me is the Bears basically picked between Harris/Brown and opted for the more upside guy, but also the bigger primmadonna and trouble maker. With Harris you never know how motivated he is, yet Brown was a professional.

Not to disagree with anything you say but to add 1 other point...they also went with the guy 4 years younger.

Wrong item shaken...

Wasn't removing Ogun and adding Peppers enough of a shake up? Why not keep him, there is no cap, and rotate more heavily?

For 3 consecutive seasons this defense has sucked ass. We've blamed injuries, we blamed coaches, we've blamed scheme. At what point do we blame the players?

Since the Super Bowl, we've continued to start the same guys on defense (and they make more then the offensive players). What we've been doing ain't working. We need to shake things up.

I'm with you chitownman...

It reeeks of money saving in a year where it's not needed.

I just do not completely understand this. Brown has proven his worth to this team time and time again. Anderson started out with a bang his rookie year on third down plays and then disappeared. Supposedly Anderson played well at the end of last season however, to me that is just not saying much. Having a quality player who may not be the best however, shows true leadership, heart and effort to me is worth more than the risk on someone who continues to prove nothing week in and week out. As we have talked to death, there should have been a major shake up with this team back on January 4th and we are still suffering for the inept abilities of the people that are still destroying this team. Granted I do like the addition of Peppers and Taylor to this team however, there are still to many fundamental issues that this team is oblivious to.

I don't have a problem with them cutting Brown. He was a player I liked and respected, but with the addition of Peppers, Brown became expendable.

Peppers has had more success playing RDE

Brown, even though it's unknown, hasn't tried the LDE

Mark Anderson played fairly well filling in for Ogun at LDE

Idonje can also play LDE

Melton has made big strides and coaching staff is liking him

So even though Brown was a respected player, the 5 million dollar question was can he play LDE or move from side to side like Peppers likes to do through out the game. The Bears are betting he can't and thought enough of the others to back their decision.

I also like them looking to develop a guy like Melton.

I just think everyone is missing the fact that there is no cap. Keeping him for $5mil isn't that big a deal.

Anderson, Izzy are OK in spot duty. Who the hell knows what Melton and Gilbert can do since our coaching staff is too stupid to put them in more often...

It's a gamble I feel. One that was unnecessary, and one that I feel we will lose. Maybe they will finally get one gamble right after all these years. The odds are not in our favor.

I don't have a problem with them cutting Brown. He was a player I liked and respected, but with the addition of Peppers, Brown became expendable.

Peppers has had more success playing RDE

Brown, even though it's unknown, hasn't tried the LDE

Mark Anderson played fairly well filling in for Ogun at LDE

Idonje can also play LDE

Melton has made big strides and coaching staff is liking him

So even though Brown was a respected player, the 5 million dollar question was can he play LDE or move from side to side like Peppers likes to do through out the game. The Bears are betting he can't and thought enough of the others to back their decision.

I also like them looking to develop a guy like Melton.

Melton/Gilbert apparently will be playing at tackle so that shouldn't factor into why the Bears cut Brown. Clearly they did it to save money and there is no denying that after what the Bears spent, 5.5M is a substantial savings.

At the same time, we still have substantial holes and I hope the Bears use the money saved to address those other holes (specifically safety and the oline). If they do that, than I think it was a smart move to cut Brown.

I also think Anderson has earned another opportunity to show what he can do, but I really don't think the Bears have much any depth at DE. Idonojie is our #3 DE and after that I dont' even know who the hell we have now that Gilbert & Melton are at tackle.

I just think everyone is missing the fact that there is no cap. Keeping him for $5mil isn't that big a deal.

Anderson, Izzy are OK in spot duty. Who the hell knows what Melton and Gilbert can do since our coaching staff is too stupid to put them in more often...

It's a gamble I feel. One that was unnecessary, and one that I feel we will lose. Maybe they will finally get one gamble right after all these years. The odds are not in our favor.

I'll believe where Melton and Gilbert line up once the first game hits. Until them, Smith's sure to musical chair them like Manning, etc. I agree they did it to save money, I just don't believe that $5M is that substantial given all else. Especially in an uncapped year.

I honestly wouldn't mind the cut if this team was bent on the future. But everything reeks of "right now" that it just makes little sense to me.

Man, do we have holes...

I have no problem giving the youth a chance. (Not sure there's much choice either...) But a chance is what it is. It could prove to be a bust.

Melton/Gilbert apparently will be playing at tackle so that shouldn't factor into why the Bears cut Brown. Clearly they did it to save money and there is no denying that after what the Bears spent, 5.5M is a substantial savings.

At the same time, we still have substantial holes and I hope the Bears use the money saved to address those other holes (specifically safety and the oline). If they do that, than I think it was a smart move to cut Brown.

I also think Anderson has earned another opportunity to show what he can do, but I really don't think the Bears have much any depth at DE. Idonojie is our #3 DE and after that I dont' even know who the hell we have now that Gilbert & Melton are at tackle.

Yeah so lets get rid of our best defensive lineman from last year, that makes a whole lot of sense..