McNabb traded to skins

GrizzlyBear

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,7705008.story

cant beleive they would trade in thier division, but it happened

That's interesting. I feel like Andy Reid has Bill Bellichick smarts. I think he knows what he's doing.

And McNabb turns 34 in November . . .

The guy I really feel bad for is Rex Grossman. He signed as the back-up with the slight chance of winning the job.

HOOOORRRRIIIBBBBLLLEEEE move Philly, horrible move.

I understand they have faith in Kolb. I'm not even going to touch whether they should have or shouldn't have traded him. I just don't understand their thinking in trading him to the Redskins.

It's not like McNabb is going to retire after this year, or that he is all of a sudden going to be horrible. The last 5 years the NFC East has sent atleast 2 teams to the playoffs (2 they sent 3 teams). Cowboys are contenders every year. The Giants just won the Super Bowl not too long ago. All 4 teams are likely to be in the play off race next year. Every game the Redskins play has a direct effect on the Eagles play off chances. That's not even counting the two times a year they will play with McNabb having a major chip on his shoulder.

I image the next highest offer Philly received was atleast a second round pick. The 3rd or 4th they will receive next year is probably what tipped in the Redskins favor. I can't see a 3rd or 4th being worth having McNabb division, or heck, even conference.

Please... I'll never feel sorry for him and his millions... He had his chance. In fact, numerous chances.

He's better off behind McNabb than Campbell, if Washington gets rid of Campbell. Campbell is a pretty darn good QB, he's just not GREAT. Grossman couldn't have stolen the starting spot from him. McNabb is more likely to get injured.

This came out of left field.. wtf? Why would they trade McNabb anyways? So it was McNabb for Cambell? I can't think of any way that this trade makes any sort of sense.. Oh well, not our problem..

No, it was McNabb for a 2010 2nd round pick and a 3rd/4th round pick in 2011. Campbell is still on the Skins.

This deal makes sense from the business end. McNabb has a large contract. McNabb typically misses 4 games a year with injuries, based on his last couple years. McNabb has 1 year left on his contract. And the Eagles have a young guy they think is ready to take over (Kolb). They've been trying to move a QB for a couple weeks now, and finally gave the go-ahead yesterday.

This deal makes sense from the business end. McNabb has a large contract. McNabb typically misses 4 games a year with injuries, based on his last couple years. McNabb has 1 year left on his contract. And the Eagles have a young guy they think is ready to take over (Kolb). They've been trying to move a QB for a couple weeks now, and finally gave the go-ahead yesterday.

Yeah, I think the Eagles were in a way worse version of the problem that the Packers had with Favre/Rodgers. Except that McNabb wasn't trying to retire and Rodgers is worlds better than Kolb.

I'll be interested to see if the Skins deal Campbell now. He's better than some of the starting QBs out there.

Yeah, I think the Eagles were in a way worse version of the problem that the Packers had with Favre/Rodgers. Except that McNabb wasn't trying to retire and Rodgers is worlds better than Kolb.

I'll be interested to see if the Skins deal Campbell now. He's better than some of the starting QBs out there.

This is a similar case to the Rogers case in 1 way...the only people who had seen Rogers do anything other than mop up duty were the guys who saw him in practice and worked to develop him after he was drafted. Andy Reid has the same thing in Kolb...no one really knows what they have in him other than Reid.

Regard Rodgers being better than Kolb, are you sure? Kolb looked pretty dang good when given a chance last year, and while Rodgers is very proven, he wasn't when GB made the trade. In fact, I think more Phily fans are on board w/ the idea of Kolb over McNabb than GB fans were w/ Rodgers and Farve.

Another situation that is similar could be seen in SD when they had both Rivers and Brees. Now, Brees has become all-world, but at the same time, Rivers is a damn good QB in his own right.

All reports point to Wash planning to deal Campbell.

Regard Rodgers being better than Kolb, are you sure? Kolb looked pretty dang good when given a chance last year, and while Rodgers is very proven, he wasn't when GB made the trade. In fact, I think more Phily fans are on board w/ the idea of Kolb over McNabb than GB fans were w/ Rodgers and Farve.

I guess I should amend that: I haven't seen anything from Kolb in the NFL that makes me think he'll be as good as Rodgers, but it's a small sample size. He had one stellar game against an awful Kansas City defense, and one pretty up-and-down game against New Orleans. He could definitely be good, but I'd be surprised if he ends up being as good as Rodgers. That's not saying a whole lot, though, since Rodgers is arguably a top-5 QB right now.

Another situation that is similar could be seen in SD when they had both Rivers and Brees. Now, Brees has become all-world, but at the same time, Rivers is a damn good QB in his own right.

Yeah, and as good as Brees is for the Saints, it's hard to say that the Chargers made the wrong move. I guess sometimes you need to move on from a good player if the guy you drafted to replace him is ready to go. Provided that the new guy is actually good, of course.

All reports point to Wash planning to deal Campbell.

Yeah, they should. They can bring in a veteran like Bulger to back up McNabb, but Campbell's a starting-quality player. They could get significant value for him from a team like Buffalo.

I guess I should amend that: I haven't seen anything from Kolb in the NFL that makes me think he'll be as good as Rodgers, but it's a small sample size. He had one stellar game against an awful Kansas City defense, and one pretty up-and-down game against New Orleans. He could definitely be good, but I'd be surprised if he ends up being as good as Rodgers. That's not saying a whole lot, though, since Rodgers is arguably a top-5 QB right now.

I agree Rodgers is damn good, and there is not much to go on w/ Kolb. My main point I guess is, if you are going to compare, you would have to put GB in the situation as they were in, rather than w/ use of current info. They made the move with as little, if not less, game day evidence of Rodgers as Phily w/ Kolb. Heck, that 2 game stint Kolb had is more experience than Rodgers had through several seasons.

And this is just opinion, but I thought quite a lot of Kolb when I saw him. He had more yards against NO (391) than any other put up against NO. He tossed 3 picks to only 2 TDs, but NO (I think) led the league in picks, and this was his first start. Phily couldn't run the ball, and couldn't stop NO to save their lives. I thought Kolb had a pretty solid game against them. Then he followed w/ another big game against KC, who is a weaker team, but this was his 2nd start and he showed quite a bit IMHO. Time will tell, but I think Kolb showed a high level of talent, and there is no way I would place a ceiling on his potential at this point.

Yeah, and as good as Brees is for the Saints, it's hard to say that the Chargers made the wrong move. I guess sometimes you need to move on from a good player if the guy you drafted to replace him is ready to go. Provided that the new guy is actually good, of course.

That was a messed up situation. Brees was not a stud for SD, and they drafted Rivers, but Rivers rookie year was the year Brees began to break out, followed by an even bigger season after that. It was understandable for SD to draft Rivers when they had Brees, but then Brees turned it up several notches, and they were stuck in a situation of having two elite talent QBs, and went w/ the youth they had invested in.

We were in a similar situation, though w/ a totally different result. We had TJ, who had not proven to be a stud (solid, but not even 1,000 yards) and drafted Benson who was considered a sure thing in the draft (hard as that is to believe). TJ then began to break out, and we were stuck in a situation of keeping the proven player or going w/ the talented youth who we invested in. It didn't work out, but it was a similar situation.

Yeah, they should. They can bring in a veteran like Bulger to back up McNabb, but Campbell's a starting-quality player. They could get significant value for him from a team like Buffalo.

One, I personally think Bulger is crap.

Two, I am not sold on Campbell. He would be an upgrade for several teams, but not a QB I would be trying hard to get.

One, I personally think Bulger is crap.

No argument here. He's done.

Two, I am not sold on Campbell. He would be an upgrade for several teams, but not a QB I would be trying hard to get.

I think Campbell's gotten a raw deal. He's a very talented guy, and for a QB with a big arm, he's pretty careful with the football: there was that stretch of games from the end of 2007 through part of 2008 where Campbell threw 271 consecutive passes without being intercepted. I don't remember where that is in the NFL record books, but it's up there. Even with the Skins changing offense almost every year and their o-line playing like crap for the past couple of seasons, Campbell's still done a pretty respectable job - well over 60% completions, around 3400 yards a season, pretty good TD-INT ratio. For teams that want a QB to manage the game and occasionally take a shot deep, Campbell would be a nice pickup.

He's got some flaws, sure: his release and decision-making could both be a lot quicker. But I think he'd be a good pickup for a team that has the line to protect him and doesn't need their quarterback to be Peyton Manning. Before the Favre thing, I used to be worried that Minnesota would pick him up: he could do really well in their offense, though obviously not as well as Favre has.

I agree with what you have said. I do not think Campbell is an upper tier QB. He is not a guy I would consider a franchise QB. But he can be a solid QB for your team if you have the OL to protect him. He is similar in some ways to Leftwhich as his two key faults appear to be a slow release and decision making. If you have a good OL to protect him, these faults are more hidden. He is not a QB I would want to build a team around, but if you have pieces already in place, he can be a good QB.

No argument here. He's done.

I think Campbell's gotten a raw deal. He's a very talented guy, and for a QB with a big arm, he's pretty careful with the football: there was that stretch of games from the end of 2007 through part of 2008 where Campbell threw 271 consecutive passes without being intercepted. I don't remember where that is in the NFL record books, but it's up there. Even with the Skins changing offense almost every year and their o-line playing like crap for the past couple of seasons, Campbell's still done a pretty respectable job - well over 60% completions, around 3400 yards a season, pretty good TD-INT ratio. For teams that want a QB to manage the game and occasionally take a shot deep, Campbell would be a nice pickup.

He's got some flaws, sure: his release and decision-making could both be a lot quicker. But I think he'd be a good pickup for a team that has the line to protect him and doesn't need their quarterback to be Peyton Manning. Before the Favre thing, I used to be worried that Minnesota would pick him up: he could do really well in their offense, though obviously not as well as Favre has.

I agree with what you have said. I do not think Campbell is an upper tier QB. He is not a guy I would consider a franchise QB. But he can be a solid QB for your team if you have the OL to protect him. He is similar in some ways to Leftwhich as his two key faults appear to be a slow release and decision making. If you have a good OL to protect him, these faults are more hidden. He is not a QB I would want to build a team around, but if you have pieces already in place, he can be a good QB.

Yeah, he's like Leftwich but not as slow. I see him as somewhere between Leftwich and Orton in terms of decision-making, but he's got more arm strength and better mobility than either. He's not elite, but he could definitely step in on an otherwise solid offense and run it.