Alex goes from Italian Beef to Gumbo...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Alex Brown joins the Saints

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 7, 2010 4:47 PM ET

After dumping salaries and familiar faces leave town, the defending Super Bowl champion Saints have signed a significant free agent. (Apologies to Zak Keasey.)

Defensive end Alex Brown agreed to terms on a two-year contract, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Signing aging linemen rarely works out well, but Brown's solid reputation remained intact last year in Chicago.

He will help the Saints defend the run at a clear trouble position on the team. We still expect them to draft a defensive end early, but Brown makes the need less desperate

That is a really good pick-up for the Saints. I'm really going to miss Brown. The guy was just a rock solid veteran and an above average (albeit, not elite) defensive end.

I'm glad he landed on a good team - he was always a classy guy in Chicago, and I would have hated for him to get cut over money and then spend the rest of his career on a rebuilding team like the Bucs. Great pickup for New Orleans.

I'm glad he got to go to a really good team, but he should have been aloud to retire a Bear. Complete BS he was released.

May have been BS he was released (for performance/money reasons), but Brown was by no means a franchise legend of the sort that you hold onto out of sentiment.

May have been BS he was released (for performance/money reasons), but Brown was by no means a franchise legend of the sort that you hold onto out of sentiment.

Yeah, agreed. It just sucks when a good player gets cut loose over money. I didn't mind it when it was Berrian, because he was legitimately trying to get paid like a top-5 receiver. Brown's contract with the Saints is a lot smaller ($5.5 million/2 years) than what the Bears would have owed him, but it's not like he was trying to get paid like Mario Williams or something. I imagine that the Bears would have kept him or worked with him to restructure if they hadn't sunk so much money into Peppers already. Oh well. I can see why they couldn't come to a deal, I just wish it had worked out differently. It'd be a better d-line with him lining up across from Peppers.

My bad, only legends should be able to retire as Bears. I wasnt aware of that standard set forth. I thought if a player blead orange and blue his whole career, missed less games than any other player this past decade, and still was able to go out every Sunday and play better than most his level hed be qualified for some team loyalty.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...aspx?player=257

Player

Brown, Alex

Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position

2009 Bears $ 745,000 $ 0 $ 5,070 $ 750,070 $ 2,882,384 DE

2008 Bears $ 605,000 $ 5,000,000 $ 3,840 $ 5,608,840 $ 2,741,151 DE

2007 Bears $ 595,000 $ 5,500,000 $ 503,600 $ 1,098,600 $ 2,012,695 DE

2006 Bears $ 585,000 $ 0 $ 1,503,740 $ 2,088,740 $ 3,002,835 DE

2005 Bears $ 455,000 $ 0 $ 4,290 $ 459,290 $ 1,373,385 DE

2004 Bears $ 380,000 $ 5,500,000 $ 4,100 $ 5,884,100 $ 1,407,270 DE

2003 Bears $ 300,000 $ 0 $ 5,100 $ 305,100 $ 414,175 DE

2002 Bears $ 225,000 $ 327,225 $ 0 $ 552,225 $ 334,075 DE

Theres Alex Browns salaries as a Bear per usatoday. He was just hitting the point of his contract where he would get paid. After years of service, he should have finally gotten that money.

Ogun who is a bit older than Brown made more than he would have this year, last year. The Bears just paid out one of the biggest contracts in NFL history to a player a few months younger, that plays the same position. The team paaid one and a half times what he would have made this year to a RB who is already over the hill and had the same yards a carry as the young RB on the team. A TE in a system where TE isnt important will be sharing what time he is used, older than Brown, and still making about what he would have this year.

To cut him based on Salary instead of talent shows how ridiculous the system is. It sickens me that the Bears cant rise above it and show the loyalty to their players that the players have them. I dont care if he doesnt get 1O sacks a year. Only 7 DEs did this year, and everyteam starts 2, you do the math. He is one of the complete DEs that can both play the run and pass at an above average level.

He may not be a legend in your eyes, or anyones for that fact. He will be one of the few I will be telling my children about one day along with Urlacher and Mike Brown from this decade. His dedication to the fans, his ability on the field, his loyalty to the team should have let him retire as a Bear, imo. He earned that 5 million this year due to past service. Ask the guy who got a bigger bonus this year than Brown will make in his entire career.

My bad, only legends should be able to retire as Bears. I wasnt aware of that standard set forth. I thought if a player blead orange and blue his whole career, missed less games than any other player this past decade, and still was able to go out every Sunday and play better than most his level hed be qualified for some team loyalty.

Theres Alex Browns salaries as a Bear per usatoday. He was just hitting the point of his contract where he would get paid. After years of service, he should have finally gotten that money.

Ogun who is a bit older than Brown made more than he would have this year, last year. The Bears just paid out one of the biggest contracts in NFL history to a player a few months younger, that plays the same position. The team paaid one and a half times what he would have made this year to a RB who is already over the hill and had the same yards a carry as the young RB on the team. A TE in a system where TE isnt important will be sharing what time he is used, older than Brown, and still making about what he would have this year.

To cut him based on Salary instead of talent shows how ridiculous the system is. It sickens me that the Bears cant rise above it and show the loyalty to their players that the players have them. I dont care if he doesnt get 1O sacks a year. Only 7 DEs did this year, and everyteam starts 2, you do the math. He is one of the complete DEs that can both play the run and pass at an above average level.

He may not be a legend in your eyes, or anyones for that fact. He will be one of the few I will be telling my children about one day along with Urlacher and Mike Brown from this decade. His dedication to the fans, his ability on the field, his loyalty to the team should have let him retire as a Bear, imo. He earned that 5 million this year due to past service. Ask the guy who got a bigger bonus this year than Brown will make in his entire career.

Amen to all of that. Alex Brown was a Bear to be proud of, never got in trouble, gave his best effort, never complained, and always expressed support for the organisation. I sure wish he could have stuck around, and will always wish him the best. Best of luck and the future to Alex! We would be a better team with him around.