PFF Pass protection rankings

flea

http://www.profootballfocus.com/articles.p...arc=&id=151

No. 25 -- Chicago Bears The Bears were one of the teams that had only a couple of guys play well, whilst the others struggled and left their offense dead in the water. The "couple of guys" in this case were center Olin Kreutz and right guard Roberto Garza, with the rest being various shades of poor. None was worse than Orlando Pace and it was a huge mistake believing he had much left in the tank (he didn't). By the time he was benched in Week 13, the Bears were already gasping for air. Amazingly, as poor as a right tackle as Chris Williams was, he may end up being a success story if he can keep up his late-season form. Through the first 10 weeks of the season he was dreadful, giving up five sacks, eight hits and 24 hurries and throwing his hat in the ring as one of the worst pass protectors in the league. However, he did well against the Eagles in Week 11, did a reasonable job the next game (in Minnesota, of all places) and was then moved to left tackle to replace Pace, where he performed very creditably indeed.

Other players who have to step up their game are Matt Forte, who stayed in to block a league-leading 152 times but was among the top five worst pass-protecting backs last year (two sacks, a hit and 15 pressures); and Greg Olsen, who may be a decent receiver but struggles with all aspects of blocking. That has to be a huge concern considering the offense Mike Martz is expected to implement.

This explains why we over-paid to get Chester Taylor and Manameleuna.

Bingo has been called and both additions should have made Cutler smile.

At least it's nice to see someone confirm my sentiments about Forte's blocking last year. He was better his rookie year but didn't seem to have the right attitude for blocking last year.

He was asked to block in passing situations 152 times, led the league in this category.

Just as a defense can not be expected to rate high if on the field 65% of the clock, a teams DBs cannot be expected to have good stats if there is no pass rush and they have to cover their man for 5 seconds, now you have Forte with that many reps as a blocker in the backfield, I do not think Forte did that bad a job.

Not sure those are really the same.

If a D is on the field a great deal, they tire and their play starts to fade. If Forte is asked to stay back and block a bunch, how is that similar? There is less energy to to pickup a block then to run the ball, or run a passing route. There is also less physical abuse. You may be picking up a block, but is that equal to getting tackled, often by multiple players?

No, I don't think this is similar. Also, I would argue Forte's pass protection struggled did not appear to be physical, at least not IMHO. While it happened, I don't think the majority of time was Forte simply getting steam rolled. More often, I thought it was Forte simply not blocking the right area/rusher. He seemed slower to find who to pickup, and by the time he saw the rusher, it was too late.

Really, last year Forte was similar to Benson in terms of pass protection IMHO. Benson's struggled were not physical. When he picked up a block, he would do so effectively. Rarely did I see Benson get steam rolled. Benson's problem seemed to be knowing what his blocking assignement was. IMHO, that was Forte's issue last year.

What I do not understand is what makes a player look so good in this area as a rookie and then so bad the following year.

He was asked to block in passing situations 152 times, led the league in this category.

Just as a defense can not be expected to rate high if on the field 65% of the clock, a teams DBs cannot be expected to have good stats if there is no pass rush and they have to cover their man for 5 seconds, now you have Forte with that many reps as a blocker in the backfield, I do not think Forte did that bad a job.

Surprised there is not even mention of Omiyale. I would be curious to see how he was graded out pre and post benching.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/articles.p...arc=&id=151

No. 25 -- Chicago Bears The Bears were one of the teams that had only a couple of guys play well, whilst the others struggled and left their offense dead in the water. The "couple of guys" in this case were center Olin Kreutz and right guard Roberto Garza, with the rest being various shades of poor. None was worse than Orlando Pace and it was a huge mistake believing he had much left in the tank (he didn't). By the time he was benched in Week 13, the Bears were already gasping for air. Amazingly, as poor as a right tackle as Chris Williams was, he may end up being a success story if he can keep up his late-season form. Through the first 10 weeks of the season he was dreadful, giving up five sacks, eight hits and 24 hurries and throwing his hat in the ring as one of the worst pass protectors in the league. However, he did well against the Eagles in Week 11, did a reasonable job the next game (in Minnesota, of all places) and was then moved to left tackle to replace Pace, where he performed very creditably indeed.

Other players who have to step up their game are Matt Forte, who stayed in to block a league-leading 152 times but was among the top five worst pass-protecting backs last year (two sacks, a hit and 15 pressures); and Greg Olsen, who may be a decent receiver but struggles with all aspects of blocking. That has to be a huge concern considering the offense Mike Martz is expected to implement.

Not sure those are really the same.

If a D is on the field a great deal, they tire and their play starts to fade. If Forte is asked to stay back and block a bunch, how is that similar? There is less energy to to pickup a block then to run the ball, or run a passing route. There is also less physical abuse. You may be picking up a block, but is that equal to getting tackled, often by multiple players?

No, I don't think this is similar. Also, I would argue Forte's pass protection struggled did not appear to be physical, at least not IMHO. While it happened, I don't think the majority of time was Forte simply getting steam rolled. More often, I thought it was Forte simply not blocking the right area/rusher. He seemed slower to find who to pickup, and by the time he saw the rusher, it was too late.

Really, last year Forte was similar to Benson in terms of pass protection IMHO. Benson's struggled were not physical. When he picked up a block, he would do so effectively. Rarely did I see Benson get steam rolled. Benson's problem seemed to be knowing what his blocking assignement was. IMHO, that was Forte's issue last year.

What I do not understand is what makes a player look so good in this area as a rookie and then so bad the following year.

Agreed, they are not the same. Forte's ranking is based on percentages of snap, assignments and flubs. Also, given that he was asked to block a higher percentage of time, tells me he should have been more prepared to be successfull. Heck, being asked to pass block that much tells me, he should have been in the zone.

Amazingly, as poor as a right tackle as Chris Williams was, he may end up being a success story if he can keep up his late-season form. Through the first 10 weeks of the season he was dreadful, giving up five sacks, eight hits and 24 hurries and throwing his hat in the ring as one of the worst pass protectors in the league. However, he did well against the Eagles in Week 11, did a reasonable job the next game (in Minnesota, of all places) and was then moved to left tackle to replace Pace, where he performed very creditably indeed.

Glad to see that PFF came to the same conclusion that most of us did about Williams' move to LT. He really did play pretty well once he was on the left side. If he can keep it up this season, he'll be at least an above-average LT.